Archinect
anchor

CD Swap!

b3tadine[sutures]

Chairman Mao,

great cd, i will need to convert it to play in my car, but so far i really dig it...thanks...

Strawbeary, your "package" is going out today, it's a little more than the rules, but i never liked rules...

May 16, 06 7:23 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Vado has Pixelwhore dissapeared?

May 16, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

scoops. I can't wait to get my cd... or to deliver mine to Pixelwhore.

May 16, 06 9:29 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Steven if your hungry for new music i'm not sure if you'd like it or not, but if you've ever heard wolf parade and liked them, you should check out a CD by Spencer Krug, their keyboardists other band called
Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I am Dreaming. If I hadn't already mailed out your CD i would have put one of their tracks on it after i picked it up yesterday. It's phenominal.

May 16, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Alright, much easier than posting portfolios for forum crits..here they are, 22 tracks from heaven.

a typical snapshot into the many musical moods of mightylittle.

1. Legalise - Ali G
2. Too High - Stevie Wonder
3. A Little Less Conversation - Elvis Presley
4. Know Your Onion - The Shins
5. American Idiot - Green Day
6. My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama (live) - Frank Zappa
7. Une Journee Chez le Diable - Akhenaton
8. Super Bowl Sundae - Ozomatli
9. Goodbye Lorraine - Frank Black & The Catholics
10. Mambo Sinuendo - Ry Cooder
11. Most Likely You'll Go Your Way & I'll Mine - Bob Dylan
12. What you Think About... - St. Germain
13. Ambush - Maroons (aka Lateef & The Chief)
14. The Mollusk - Ween
15. Joko Homo - Devo
16. Monte Adentro - Ibrahim Ferrer
17. Two Against Nature - Steely Dan
18. Swallow Back - Ali G
19. Blazing Arrow - Blackalicious
20. Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
21. The Night Life ain't no Good Life - Willie Nelson
22. Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby - Allison Krauss & Gillian Welch

Sorry to ruin the surprise dusty...but i realized after it went in the mail that i'd completely screwed up the id3 tags. still plays in a normal cd player though...

May 16, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
cated

is it too late to get in on the second round?? i hope not

May 18, 06 1:13 am  · 
 · 
cated

is it too late to get in on the second round?? i hope not

· 
cated

sry bout the double post

· 

i'm in for round 2.

[anxiously camped out by the mailbox, quixotica - a puddle of drool at my feet. starting to get the shakes.]

May 18, 06 7:18 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

beta, got it. Overboard? I would say so! Three CD's nested inside 4 various fedex wrappings? I had to break out the pocket knife to get to them. Thanks.

May 18, 06 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

lletdown, you should have mine by now... do you?

May 18, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Haha steven I hope it lives up to your expectations. It's alright that i sent it 26th class right? It should get there by ohh about mid july. . .of next year :)

May 18, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

beary, good, glad you got it. sorry bout the packaging, i don't trust fedex to get anything to anyone without it being stomped or in pieces...i just couldn't get it down to one cd, so i figure more is better...

May 21, 06 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

Well, been over a week, PNRCM should have gotten it by now, so I'll post tracks. The list leans maybe a tad more college radio than I originally intended, but oh well.

Format:

#) Artist - Track name
Original album - original track number

Tracks:

01) Beach Boys, The - Sloop John B (Stack-O-Vocals)
The Pet Sounds Sessions (cd3) - 06

Beach boys, just the vocal tracks. how can that not be awesome? The best $55 I've ever spent on a single album.

02) Costello, Elvis - Brilliant Mistake
King of America (2005 Rem) - 01

One of my favorite opening tracks of all time. getting alot of play lately.

03) Crowded House - There Goes God
Woodface - 08

Too wierd to be awesome, too awesome to be wierd. God has sexy pants. And a sausage dog. CH is way overshadowed by their one mega-hit (which kinda sucks)

04) Leo, Ted; & The Pharmacists - Timorous Me
The Tyranny Of Distance - 05

I saw them several months ago, this song is killer live. easily the tightest power trio I've ever come across. ladies love him because he looks like daniel craig.

05) Placebo - Post Blue
Meds - 06

Cool song, and the timorous>post transition is my favorite from this mix (long feedback fadeout blends into heavy distortion opening notes)

06) Broken Social Scene - Major Label Debut (fast)
Broken Social Scene (Lim. Ed) - 20

I like this better than the standard album version. Can't really say why. Found the limited ed. a few months ago in my local used shop.

07) Ocean Colour Scene - Profit In Peace
Anthology - 14

I think I'm having a bit of a britpop phase at the moment. These guys rule.

08)Frusciante, John - Ricky
Shadows Collide With People - 04
09) Frusciante, John - Second Walk
Shadows Collide With People - 05

My favorite transition (ever) that isn't a transition. the slow, dreamy Ricky ends, and there's just the right length pause before kicking into the big rocker. In my mind I consider these two tracks the same song with different movements/phases. great to drive to.

10) Jones, Tom - Lust For Life (feat. The Pretenders)
Reload - 11

A bit of a joke, and completely sacreligious, but actually kinda cool at the same time. the whole album is filled with stuff like this.

11) Cars, The - Good Times Roll
The Cars (DCC gold) - 01

Don't know. felt like it.

12) Banhart, Devendra - I Feel Just Like a Child
Cripple Crow - 08

I can't decide if I really like devendra banhart or think he's a worthless coked out nick drake impersonator.

13) Gabriel, Peter - Of These, Hope
Passion (2002 Rem) - 03

the transition from child>hope is a bit of an odd one, but it works ok. same with hope>theif, actually.

14) Can - Thief
Delay 1968 - 04
15) Radiohead - The Trickster
My Iron Lung (cds) - 02

My favorite song that radiohead has covered (though I still like the original better), and my favorite Radiohead song that most people don't know about. There's also somethng about theives and tricksters getting together that's kinda cool.

16) Magnetic Fields, The - Epitaph For My Heart
69 Love Songs Vol. 2 - 18

Opens with the melodic recitation of a product warning lable. also a nice bit of a downer to move into:

17) Luna - Speedbumps
Rendezvous - 03

Underated band. Dean Wareham is my hero.

18) Walkmen, The - Wake Up
Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me Is Gone - 02

Yes, they're hipster darlings. sue me, I don't care.

19) Williams, Lucinda - words (unreleased)
live June 26, 2005

hopefully this one will be on the new album. I like it alot.

20) R.E.M. - Man on the Moon
Perfect Square Live (DVD) - 18

If you like R.E.M. and don't own this DVD, go buy it. an amazing concert DVD. it's just too bad it doesn't have a LPCM track, especially since they never released it as a cd.

21) Ocean Colour Scene - It’s A Beautiful Thing
Anthology - 13

whether or not I like this song depends alot on my mood, but it is a nice way to end the disc.

May 22, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 
manamana

good greif that was long. Apologies.

May 22, 06 1:56 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Hmmm

No CD, and haven't seen hide nor hair of my sender... swap break down?

May 22, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Gabe, you havent heard anything from Wantonfon5? you caan either wait till the next swap or contact gabe's giver (vado in this case) and see if hes heard from him, and if not, vado can send to you. if vado has heard from wantonfon5 but you havent, well then. . .i don't know what to say other than thats not very nice of him.

May 22, 06 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

now that's diplomacy.

May 22, 06 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

manamana, that looks like a greeeeeeat disc! I think I'll be spending some time tonight burning a little hole in my itunes credit card, as I'm eager for new music and still waiting on my disc from AP - it's OK, AP, I know you're busy and you've contacted me about it, unlike wantonfon5 it seems!

May 22, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Steven, hope you got your CD by now, Am anxious to post the playlist but ill wait so you have the chance to be surprised.

May 22, 06 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

CD completed (error message eradicated)
jacket currently being produced
in the mail this afternoon

Once received I will post the playlist. it was a blast to make the CD, fond memories of being a youngsta sittin next to the radio waiting to hit record when my favorite tune came on. anyone else use duct tape to cover up the holes on old cassatte tapes so you could record over 'em? good times.

May 22, 06 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

AP-

excuse my slack, I have the tracks together, just haven't gotten to the jacket yet, but it's comin atcha real soon.....

May 22, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

Pixelwhore, where are you?

May 22, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
AP

lookin' forward to it FRO...slack excused...who am I to excuse your slack?!?! I just finished mine....a week late!

FLM, as the first to respond to this thread, you made the cover of my CD jacket, along w/ quixotica, thread starter. just finished. after 5pm, so won't make it out until morning mail...

May 22, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

woah so that was YOU outside my window with the high powered telescopic lens. ingenious. and all for the sake of the cd swap

May 22, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

nyet, but maybe today, quix.

May 22, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

posted mine today, was lying around my desk for a week, i have too much to do and too short memory span.
anyway, i'll post the track listing in a couple of days so that mao has the time to receive and listen to it.

i hope he likes guitars.

May 22, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

got it last night, quixotica. nice cover.

works out great because today i've scheduled as a all-C.A.-all-day day. i'll be in the car listening to my new music. i've only heard 3-4 of these songs, am familiar with another 2-3 of the artists, so the rest is totally unfamiliar. fun!

May 23, 06 6:51 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

wow. I am very honored, AP. I didn't even realize I was the first to respond. I can't find Pixelwhore, so I think I'll just leave it in his mailbox in the arch dept on campus. I'm really stoked about the jacket I made for it. way more than the mix even. can't wait til my roommate (with the mail key) gets back since my cd is probably here!

May 23, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

FLM, are youa t all concerned about Pixelwhore being missing? I am.

May 23, 06 11:02 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Sweet! enjoy it Steven, if there is anything that mix is, it's a good driving mix. Sorry about the crap cover but it's whats inside that counts.

Track Listing

# - artist - song

1 - Nomeansno - Now
2 - This Bike is a Pipe Bomb - Murder Bike
3 - Kings of Leon - Happy Alone
4 - Youngblood Brass Band - Pastime Paradise
5 - Marathon - Names have been Changed (to Protect the Guilty)
6 - Wolf Parade - Dear Sons & Daughters of Hungry Ghosts
7 - Save Ferris - Lies
8 - Ghost Mice - Oh Sister
9 - Blind Willie Johnson - Dark was the Night
10 - Hedwig & the Angry Inch - The Origin of Love
11 - The Roots Feat. Jill Scott - You Got Me (live)
12 - Nina Simone - Sinnerman
13 - Akron/Family - Dylan Pt. II
14 - Atmosphere - Godlovesugly
15 - Sexy - XMAS song
16 - The Bananas - Beginning of the End
17 - Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945
18 - Andrews Sisters - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

May 23, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 

i've made it through wolf parade this morning.

my favorite track by far (so far) is the youngblood brass band. there's even a section toward the end of the track that made a connection for me with a lauryn hill song. now i gotta go check that one and see if she had sampled stevie or it's just coincidence.

May 23, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

I know, youngblood Brass Band is one of my favorite groups of all time, I struggled with which song of theirs to put on, im glad you liked it. I think they just threw in the Lauren Hill part, but i'm not sure, either way it makes for one hell of a song.

May 23, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

this would be great if i ever got my CD!!!

May 23, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

I havent gotten mine yet either Vado, But archinaut is finishing up school, so its understandable

May 23, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

it keeps me up at night. maybe we should get a search party together, LB

May 23, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hmmm, do I sense facetiousness ;) ?

May 23, 06 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

no, just exaggeration. seriously, where is the guy?

May 23, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

so when's the new list coming out anyway? i'm already excited

May 24, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

earlyish june

May 24, 06 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
AP

so, do we then forward the CD that we received in round 1?

that's how this works, right? like a cipher?

May 24, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

No AP, we will have a new theme, new mix and a new person to send to. Speaking of which, we need new themes.
Feel free however, to forward your last CD on if you are so inclined

May 24, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Possible theme - Choose a favorite song from the mix you recieved and develop the CD with songs that can be associated to the new song.

(this of course depends on having recieved a CD in the first round)

May 25, 06 7:01 am  · 
 · 

if you didn't get one, you have to start with 'sweet child 'o' mine'.

have now listened to quixotica's mix a few times and i'm digging it. some nice pairings:

the andrews' sisters 'bugle boy' with the anti-war bluegrass dustup that precedes it...which isn't on the list quixotica posted above. ? damn, the cd's in my car.

the way the andrew's sisters slides back into nomeansno when the cd repeats works well too.

jill scott w/ the roots' rap shifting into a nice percussive nina simone.

also liked the akron/family a lot. don't know of them but might have to search it out.

May 25, 06 7:14 am  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

FLM - Did you get your CD yet? I know that the mail out of Bermuda is slow, but you should have it by now....

possible theme - summer's here (on the island anyway...)

May 25, 06 7:32 am  · 
 · 

summer could work as a theme. still pretty wide open (how many million summer songs are there?) but it gives you some clues about how to pick (like probably not 'bela lugosi's dead' or 'snowblind').

May 25, 06 7:48 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I like Gabe's idea.

I also like my accidental mis-reading of Steven's post: what I saw was "Summer Cloud" could work as a theme.

May 25, 06 8:14 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

3dG, I'm sure it's here but unfortunately my roommate with the mail key is not around right now, so I haven't seen any mail come into our apartment for a few days... I knew I should have gotten that thing copied! And in about an hour I will drop pixelwhore's cd off and hopefully he'll be around. man!

May 25, 06 8:17 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Report back FLM if you see Pixel - and maybe, depending on circumstances, give him a spanking for not getting vado's cd in the mail yet!

I'm excited for round 2 - any other theme ideas? I'd say interpretation of said theme - or maybe we should use the term "concept", I know that relationship is being explored on some other thread around here - can be pretty loose.

May 25, 06 8:30 am  · 
 · 

track 18 on quix's mix is:

defiance ohio - new world order

followed by the andrews sisters.

the defiance song is very fun.

May 25, 06 8:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: