Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

vado retro

rusty why don't you wait out back at the stage door like the rest of us?

Sep 24, 11 8:18 am  · 
 · 

nothing new to report, other than the fact that thread central was one tick away from going to the second page...

i guess that i could also add a page number, old school style...

Sep 26, 11 7:39 am  · 
 · 

Donna I just saw that video you posted on fb... amazing. I'm now very jealous of Angus' childhood. You both deserve gold stars! 

Sep 26, 11 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Angus is indeed enjoying a pretty cool upbringing, sadly one of the stories he now has in his repertoire to tell is "I had to get three stitches on my finger when one of my dad's sculptures fell on it...after I shot it with a suction cup arrow, that is."

Yep, trip to the urgent care center last night! Poor kid.

Sep 26, 11 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

OMG YOU GUYS BRAD PITT was on Fresh Air last week!!  I'm listening to it now (and hopefully will get my drafting done w/o melting into a puddle in my desk chair....)

Sep 26, 11 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

OMG you can totally hear Terry's voice is giddy too!

Sep 26, 11 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

hi all,

back in FL. But still on "vacation" as I had a dental appointment for a restoration today. back to work tomorrow. had a great time getting to know CA and a couple of necters in San Fran and LA.

Sep 26, 11 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

I just zipped over to The Sartorialist, a website I've not visited in awhile, to see some pretty pictures of fashion.  How disappointing: I looked at probably 75 photos and every outfit was just downright unattractive, even on spectacularly beautiful people.  Am I just getting old?

Sep 26, 11 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I feel The Sartorialist is a total hit or miss.*

Disclaimer - I am not claiming, in any way, to be a hip or fashionable person.  

Sep 26, 11 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

sadly my fiance' hit me with a blow I'm yet to recover from, "preppy cannot be hipster" and well I can't not match my colours classically no matter what you tell me - black trousers cannot be worn with brown loafers.

Sep 27, 11 1:46 am  · 
 · 

harsh words david.  sounds true though.  mind you i don't have any black trousers nor a loafer of any color.  however i do have a few pairs of purple sneakers. 

Sep 27, 11 6:53 am  · 
 · 

i decided about 8yrs ago that all of my accessories, including shoes, would be black. therefore no decisions/conflicts. black shoes, black belt, every day, no issues. 

i also have a closet full of clothes that can almost all go together in some way. legacy of the couple of years where i had to get dressed in the dark every morning and learned my clothes by feel. 

Sep 27, 11 7:59 am  · 
 · 
****melt

You're just now figuring that out David?  LOL!!!!

Welcome to TC monkeybiz

Steven...  I pretty much like that, but with brown.  It used to be black all the way, but with how fair I am, brown looks a lot less harsh.

Anyone heard from SH lately?  She seems to have vanished.  Probably just busy.

Sep 27, 11 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

monkey, did you read the whole thread?

Sep 27, 11 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm here. I just haven't had anything to say. Still dont, so I'll give you my schedule. Mow grass, bank, carwash, groceries. And my mother will be over tonight. See, nothing too exciting. Certainly not purple sneakers!

Sep 27, 11 9:41 am  · 
 · 

hi Sarah! Hi monkeybiz, you ever seen that Marx Brothers flick of same name (different spelling though) one of my favorites of theirs.

morning all , back at work.

Sep 27, 11 10:06 am  · 
 · 

also as for clothes discussion the older i get the more preppy (or at least business casual) slacks collared shirts I find myself wearing. although i did buy a pair of green Levis in San Fran.

Sep 27, 11 10:07 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

David,

Before a friend of mine had his wedding he took his shoes into the shoe shop for some alterartions. It was quite evident the day of his wedding when he kneeled at the alter and written across the bottom of his shoes ,"Make Taller" was written inn bold black magic marker.   I think it took him ten years to live that one down among his guy friends. He really didn't want to be shorter than his wife.

Sep 27, 11 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

snook_dude that is hilarious... be careful david!

Sep 27, 11 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I love the pictures of grooms having stuff written on their shoes.  David, I hope you best men take care of that!

Sep 27, 11 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

writing the vows on the shoes would be cool idea.

tokyo is kind of funny with the fashion.  people really dress up here rich or poor.  it's like lady gaga but milder.  lots of architects here are all black all the time but they look a bit like they own a nightclub to me - or else they work at a gigolo bar and are on the menu.  i prefer the disco look myself.  weird thing is that no one cares.

hi sarah.  been following your blog.  looks an ideal life to me in many ways.

Sep 27, 11 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

jump. you're a sweetie. And I agree that Sarah's life looks lovely on her blog!

My partner - who is always the best-dressed person in the room - wears black pants with brown shoes, but I don't think they're loafers.

I wear a lot of brown lately.  My favorite current belt is a beat up tooled leather from Goodwill.

Sep 27, 11 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Really, Jump?  Wow.  Cool.  I feel like it's pretty lame sometimes.

Sep 27, 11 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

I had crits all afternoon.  Teaching design studio to graduates students is hard, much harder than I expected it to be.  I'm whipped.

Sep 28, 11 12:03 am  · 
 · 

Morning all, for anyone interested about a tenth of the 600 + photos from my 10 day California trip (mostly Bay area) have been posted to Flickr here

I am thinking about adding more but the thought of all that digital labor plus what I have already done makes me tired..

Sep 28, 11 8:09 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I wear brown and black together, a lot. Have gotten a lot more boring in my middle age. I can't fit into my bright blue flare leg pants anymore, probably a good thing.

Sep 28, 11 8:24 am  · 
 · 

If I remember correctly, the fashion rule is that your shoes don't have to match your pants. But your pants must also have to match your socks.

But... but, you're not suppose to even wear black unless it's a formal event or you're in mourning. In that case, you can wear really dark grey (onyx, charcoal) and the greys match with brown pretty well.

Sep 28, 11 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

your socks are supposed to match your cravat and pocket square.  socks don't need to match your trousers or your shirt.

Sep 28, 11 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

Should your socks match your shirt and tie? Or your pants?
Your socks should give the appearance of a longer leg, and you can do that by keeping the colors of your socks and pants in the same general family. It's not essential that they match exactly, and it's certainly not required that they match your shirt and tie. Personally I like a little pyrotechnics in the sock department, e.g., bright red-and-navy stripes. They make a mockery of every sock-matching theory ever devised

40 Mysteries of Fall Style, Solved in Seconds
Esquire

Sep 28, 11 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

sounds fun donna.

i like my socks to stop at the ankle.  or better yet, like my israeli colleagues just wear sandals to work.

Sep 28, 11 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

donna, I hear you. been in studio all day. brains dead, yet I have to finish writing two abstracts by tomorrow so I can't relax (except a short visit to TC). oh, once the abstracts are done, I have a conference to prepare for in a week, a manuscript to write by december 1st), and my normal teaching and service responsibilities. but, I still love my new job as long as I don't burn out.

gray and brown is a combo I've been wearing recently while teaching.

okay, time to go home and play with the shrub for a bit to clear my brainfog!

Sep 28, 11 8:05 pm  · 
 · 

barry, I'm on my little Archinect-break time too.  So tired, but hello project statement, lecture, and client price list that all have to be finalized before tomorrow morning!

Sep 28, 11 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

fingers crossed!!! i might get to visit kahn's esherick house tomorrow!!!

Sep 28, 11 9:30 pm  · 
 · 

great photos, nam.... looks like it was a fun trip... you got to visit a lot of buildings that i've been wanting to see in person... the federal building already looks like it isn't aging too well... looks dirty...

Sep 29, 11 8:38 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

been reading farm city - first section reminded me of donna's chicken experiment (btw - how's that going?).   great read (not for vegetarians, though).

Sep 29, 11 10:06 am  · 
 · 

so army green shirt, dark grey trousers, red Chuck Taylors.... white socks - I can only go so far

loving the photos Nam, amazing that they are almost all taken with your camera phone. Does make you wonder the role of small pocket sized cameras in the future. Duh duh duh!!!

Sep 29, 11 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Phillip and David thanks. The trip was a blast and I definitely got to see some cool buildings. The Xanadu Gallery by Wright was a highlight for sure as it was only the second Wright building I have been in and I must say I was more impressed with the de Young than I though I would be. And in a similar vein I was less impressed with the Federal building than I thought I would be although granted I didn't get to explore the insides much.

As for the camera phone point David. That was mine and others reaction as well. I wouldn't have even tried it except I was talking with Alex recently and he mentioned he almost exclusively uses his iPhone camera now, versus a real fancy SLR.

Sep 29, 11 11:45 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I don't know about navy and black, JJR. Going to think about that for a while.

White socks to match your smile!

Sep 29, 11 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

awesome trip nam.  very jealous.

you know, i have always had camera on my phones (japan is way ahead of the curve with that stuff) but only recently started taking pictures with it.  something about the i^phone makes it so easy.  the apps make it even more fun.  another way jobs is changing the way we live.

Sep 29, 11 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

Nam, I should have posed in front of my new office for your cellphone camera! shucks for missing that opportunity. great pics from the monteray aquarium.

Ahhh, almost done with my abstracts, just waiting to see if I get any last minute feedback before posting.

Sep 29, 11 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

barry, if you want to email them to me i can take a look either tonight or tomorrow morning...

Sep 29, 11 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

barry i know i have photos of my historic meetings with the other necters i met on this trip. just not you. bummer!

morning all first friday back at work huzzah!

Sep 30, 11 8:21 am  · 
 · 

ok the yen is getting ridiculously expensive.  will it never stop?

Sep 30, 11 9:57 am  · 
 · 

Nam I enjoyed those photos - I'm actually leaving for San Fran tomorrow, so it was a nice taste of what I'm about to see.  I haven't been to SF since 1988!

Sep 30, 11 10:37 am  · 
 · 

Donna is your trip for fun or work? San Fran was a blast hopefully you have as much fun as I did.

Sep 30, 11 10:48 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Gorgeous photos nam... I want to see more.

Sep 30, 11 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

I've turned back on the anonymous name to say that my job is killing me a little every day. Need life raft, dingy, escape hatch of some sort.

Sep 30, 11 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

copper_top that is how i felt until i took a 2 week vacation...

Melt I might go to the trouble of posting some more this weekend.

Sep 30, 11 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

copper....you need a trip to the Blue Lagoon...!

Sep 30, 11 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

Phil, thanks for the offer (I'll still send them out), but I was waiting for feedback from my co-authors and my faculty mentor. Even though it was a scramble, it was nice to dive into the world of research for a few days, but now I have to get back to teaching before my students think I'm neglecting them!

Sep 30, 11 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: