Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

unfortunately i'm also putting together a huge-mongous proposal that's due friday afternoon so i'm not sure it's even possible for me to cut out of here.

Jan 17, 08 9:21 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I wonder what fun movies I will get the pleasure of watching over and over and over again. Sheesh, at least when my brother was a kid, my parents got a break while the tape rewound - we didn't get a VCR until I was 9ish.

Jan 17, 08 9:50 am  · 
 · 
manamana

the trick is to get your kid hooked on things that are timeless and never get old. this was mine:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070608/

Trivia: remember hampsterdance? guess where the music came from?

Jan 17, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Is it wrong to make a boy watch 'My fair Lady'? I love that movie.

Jan 17, 08 10:43 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am legend? wow, saw it, stupid. 28 days later, much more compelling.

Jan 17, 08 10:48 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I only want to see will smith in MiB sequels.

Jan 17, 08 10:53 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sarah, Angus' best buddy up the street - also a 4-1/2 yo boy - absolutely loooooves My Fair Lady, and The Nutcracker. This boy also loves playing with bugs and can already hit a softball better than me - he's got multiple interests.

Angus doesn't really like TV and I'm VERY happy with that. Right now he's into the classic Peanuts holiday stories, previously he went through a Magic School Bus phase - both of which are fine, the MSB is very science heavy so I push it over Peanuts. A recent Saturday it was snowy and bleak out so we all watch The Astronaut Farmer together - a very heartwarming film, and because of the rocket stuff Angus actually stayed somewhat engaged.

Like Steven, I rarely get to see films in actual theaters, and when we did (over holiday break) we picked Sweeney Todd - which I found disappointing and frankly kinda boring. Wish we'd gone to No Country For Old Men instead.

Thank goodness TC has some movie talk to take my mind off the fact that my cabinetmakers flat out don't bother to read my drawings. They'll be remaking about 25% of what they've built already - it's such a damn waste!!

Jan 17, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, that sucks LB. The last movie I saw in the theatre was 'Liscence to Wed' and we didn't much like it - at least I think that was the last one, could've been some guy comic-book movie that I've blocked out.

Jan 17, 08 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Liberty,
Don't you just love fine craftsmen and women.....that is when you can find them.

Jan 17, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

God yes, snook - a good craftsman is worth ANY price. These guys convinced me by listening closely during a walk-through while we discussed the specifics of each cabinet, took lots of notes, said "OK, got" it a lot - then came back with cabinets that didn't meet any of the discussion. Also, they are about five weeks late on it, which means the owners are just desperate to get into their damn house and aren't willing to fight for a lot of changes. Which is often the cabinet maker's ulterior goal anyway. Sigh.

The last movie I saw before Sweeney Todd - about 8 months ago - was 300. Stupid movie, but holy cow did I enjoy it!! Wow!

Jan 17, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Andúnë Lossëhelin - I'm sorry but the cheque was really so small, that i have to deposit them in multiples. Yea its like getting a cheque from your grandma for $3 (roughly what it translates to in U$)

Tuna sorry about your kitty. Is she in heat or was she spayed? Often pets tend to stay out longer when they are frisky.

Jan 17, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i've found that pretty much nobody bothers to read drawings...and i'm very tempting to go to law school so that i can make a career of suing contractors on behalf of architects & developers.

can't remember my last movie theater experience...maybe science of sleep back in fall of 2006.

Jan 17, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

a great joiner is priceless...I keep one as a friend

Jan 17, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Techno, now you've reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where he cashed all his grandma's checks, on an account she hadn't used in 20 years.

Jan 17, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My really fantastic carpenter makes me extremely happy - even though he inappropriately rubs my shoulders (though I'm guessing he won't do that again ;-)!

Jan 17, 08 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

I must say that my joiner has don inappropriate things in the past. Paying for drinks at a party we were at - 15+ people. A little ackward some thought he was hitting on me. Much better than the other one I used to have who berated me when he was a little drunk, that i made him change piece of work 3x simply because he didn't follow the drawings

sigh if only i had puddles, QC on the case

Jan 17, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

lb- does that mean you have lots of rejected cabinets decorating your garage?

Jan 17, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Nope, tk - and actually this is a topic that must frustrate you, too. They make something wrong because they don't call and ask me a simple question, Then they pitch the screwup in the dumpster and build it over again. I HATE how wasteful the construction industry is!!

Jan 17, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

why would that frustrate someone who likes killing trees?

Jan 17, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Cant you 'reclaim' it from the dumpster? I mean, dive for it so to speak?

Jan 17, 08 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I don't like killing trees, it just happens - like breathing.

Jan 17, 08 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

AAA the guy that sits on the otherside of a 3.5" wall from me has been listening to some version of 'Bobby Magee' for the last half hour, over and over and over again, like its on REPEAT, and I get the pleasure of hearing it through his OVER EAR HEADPHONES!!!!

Maybe his hollow head is just a good amplifyer.

Jan 17, 08 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

lol, sarah.

my wife and i went with her step-sister to see "i am legend" over the new year holidays. story was so-so but will smith made it enjoyable. it was the first movie we saw in theater for months (babysitters are not part of japanese culture).

thoe cabinets sound familiar LB. it is even worse with commercial projects cuz the builders know that once its done, even if its wrong, the shop has to open on schedule and start earning rent...a perfect opportunity to change design to their advantage and walk away...we have learned to be very careful of oversite to get things right...but it takes so much of our time it is kind of frustrating as fees don't cover that much involvement...in the meantime we are slowly finding people we can trust and taking care of it ourselves. in our last project we left some of the furniture out of the main drawing set and hired a furniture maker we know can do a god job for a good price...worked perfectly, except the general contractor was not happy...

Jan 17, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

LB - that makes me extremely sad that the cabinet makers just dump it their screw ups. You'd think they'd at least try to sell them to someone else, perhaps.

Day 5 and still no kitty. She's spayed so she's definitely not in heat. Spent the entire evening making signs and putting them up. BTW - it gets quite chilly around here when the sun goes down. I think my white and black cat misses her too, as he walked around with me while I put up signs. This whole situation sucks. My friend, however is going to do me a huge favor tomorrow and make call to the local shelter for me to see if she was picked up. She has one of those microchips so you'd think they'd call though. If only those chips had a GPS locator on them...

Better run. Have some stir fry to stir up

Jan 17, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

LB - that makes me extremely sad that the cabinet makers just dump it their screw ups. You'd think they'd at least try to sell them to someone else, perhaps.

Day 5 and still no kitty. She's spayed so she's definitely not in heat. Spent the entire evening making signs and putting them up. BTW - it gets quite chilly around here when the sun goes down. I think my white and black cat misses her too, as he walked around with me while I put up signs. This whole situation sucks. My friend, however is going to do me a huge favor tomorrow and make call to the local shelter for me to see if she was picked up. She has one of those microchips so you'd think they'd call though. If only those chips had a GPS locator on them...

Better run. Have some stir fry to stir up

Jan 17, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

Wow...

So i am gone for like a day. And there have been rasberries. Overbooked schedules, people wanting to watch Cloverfield...

Great to see that everything continues..I am at the library. Hoping to get something done..

Cheerio/

Jan 17, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

Also regarding the Chicago Olympic bid.
Quite professional. I like the "sustainable sports legacy" line..
Nice maps..of the transport options.

Jan 17, 08 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
i've found that pretty much nobody bothers to read drawings...and i'm very tempting to go to law school so that i can make a career of suing contractors on behalf of architects & developers.

puddles, PLEASE DO THIS.

Maybe his hollow head is just a good amplifyer.
ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

License to Wed is one of the worst movies I have ever seen, EVER. Ranks w/ City of Angels and Garden State as the only three movies I've ever wanted my money and time back from.

Those microchips SHOULD have a gps locator on them!!!

Jan 17, 08 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i have a tree in my yard, that unfortunately i think will need to go....a huge oak in the middle of the damn yard, i just don't know if i can do anything with it...

Jan 17, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
some person

@ Olympic Bids

I got a glimpse of the 2012 DC (Chesapeake Region) Olympic Bid Proposal when I was working on a Cricket World Cup Bid Proposal. Olympic Bids are impressive and visionary.

Jan 17, 08 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

can you say fire wood?
oak is also known to make nice furniture and flooring...

Jan 17, 08 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

nice snow....just an inch or so to cover the sand ladden snow of the last week. i took the boys [dogs] for their late night walk and there
was a wonder...a beautiful wonder of nature in the air....I think that
is part of why i became an architect....to capture that wonder...the wonder of nature and give it back to mankind......

Jan 17, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

if it's white oak (rounded leaves not pointy), it's probably useful.

Jan 17, 08 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

nice snook_dude. did you have some red wine before that walk, hm?

Jan 18, 08 7:25 am  · 
 · 

hugs @ tunamelt. I always thought those microchips had gps or some signal in them. If not what's the f'point? I'm not a cat person by any means, but I sure hope tuna-kitty shows up soon - 5 days is a long time for any pet/person to be missing.

On a side note the japanese students we played archi-host to sent me a really cool Christmas card (that oddly enough arrived in the new year - like most things do)

Jan 18, 08 8:19 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive

Jan 18, 08 8:29 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Thats a kickass Christmas card. Do you think they made it, or do they sell them somewhere?

Jan 18, 08 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Wow love the pop-out buddha card...

Jan 18, 08 9:19 am  · 
 · 

that was hand made for certain. I think that they could sell it easily though - it was so well done.

I got very frighten just now as I couldn't see thread central - only to realise that i was on page two.

Jan 18, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

What!!! Page two?!!! How did we let that happen?!

Jan 18, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

(i thing a-philia was browsing page two).

my office mates headed out to benihana's for lunch. tk being a tight fisted miser is sitting infront of archinect munching on a turkey sandwich from home.

Negative 30 degrees F scares the hell out of me. the missus and I are not leaving the house tomorrow! (the high is expected to be negative 5)

Jan 18, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, thats cold. No thank you. And, TK, you think you're tight, I'm having left overs from Wednesday's Lunch and Learn. A tasty turkey wrap.

Jan 18, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i'll be out for 4 hours talking with fellow minnesotans about Barack Obama! my twig and berries will be frozen; do they ever get frost bitten?

Jan 18, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I thought the berries were made to retreat into the warmth of the body-core if needed.

Jan 18, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

beta- just hope your fire for barak keeps you warm!!! wanna borrow my long johns?

sarah, we both are doing for our spawn... we have left overs from tuesday but they scare me, rather be safe and bring from home.

Jan 18, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

um, i got big berries?

Jan 18, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

if your canvasing my hood, drop by for a hot cocoa!

Jan 18, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

benihana - damn I miss that place. It was frequented when I was making regular jaunts to the ATL - granted it was generic and not that authentic. Also Twist | Shout but the name of the best, hands down, jades me at the moment becau se I'd have to recall memories of my ex as well. Sigh...I miss sushi

Jan 18, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I miss ceviche!

Jan 18, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I killed a good deal of cad monkey time reading about the family that owns Benihana. Good stuff: espionage, intrigue, lawsuits, blackmail, exploading speedboats, and secret love children.

Jan 18, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: