Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

WonderK

This is scary.....I just figured out that when lb originally wanted to hear about my flowers, I had less than 1000 posts! I wonder how many of my 4500+ posts have been on this thread. Probably 1000 or so. There are several of us, I would guess, who have that many on TC!

Dec 10, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
Dec 10, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

--------<<<-@

for wK!!!!

ok, thats a sorry ass emoticon rose...

back to my business trip:

I GOT THE CONTRACT SIGNED!!!!! wohooooooo!!!!!!!! and we didn't even go for karaoke after dinner. damn there was sooooo much food at the korean bbq feast, don't think I'll need breakfast for a week. Now the real work begins...

Dec 10, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I made an offer on a HOUSE!

Dec 10, 07 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

o gawd, don doit!

Dec 10, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

shut up!!!!

Dec 10, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

beta- buyers remorse already or is just the damn cold? NJ is tropical compared to MN, 40 degree rain - ahhhhh so nice;-)

Dec 10, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

it's a beaut! built in 1888!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 10, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

suckas, minnesota... ha!

Dec 10, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

(please excuse me)

Dec 10, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thanks for the rose tk!

starbear is feeling frisky since her most recent name change! :o)

Dec 10, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

plus it:t a gret huse. HI W K! D cum VISIT ME SOON! * I TYPE in gthe Drk)

Dec 11, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

AW XHIT.

Dec 11, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

DOH, ME OGOD NEDG GI NIGTH

Dec 11, 07 1:00 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

q SHO-T @ MTP GPPPT

Dec 11, 07 1:01 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

FECK!

Dec 11, 07 1:02 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

IGNORE, POR PE FEVORE
aPLOGIEDES DIRDECOTRIEDS TOWRAEDSRD TOADOSE TO AS DE SRREWAREBERDUOES ETCX.

Dec 11, 07 1:04 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

SHOOT/ DIMFUEAKC!S

Dec 11, 07 1:05 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

HOWS THT FUF A DRUNK POSTeeeeeeeeeeeee????

Dec 11, 07 1:06 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

OMG! I think the people responsible for the spam email have broken into Strawbeary's account and are now taking us hostage with incomprehensible sentences and all caps.

.....it's pretty damn funny though. I fear she will have a killer headache tomorrow. Take care, starbear.

Dec 11, 07 1:35 am  · 
 · 
aml

ahh, reading this was the perfect thread central break in the middle of an awful deadline : )

Dec 11, 07 1:52 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i just wanted to point out this thread was started 666 days ago, and the number of posts is 16661. this thread is due to hit 100,000 views around christmas eve.

Dec 11, 07 2:16 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i understand i hate having my total comments not rounding off to a clean whole number....you know it'd be nice if we had .5 posts recorded, so when we drunk post it doesn't count as a whole post...

just a thought...

Dec 11, 07 5:09 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This was hilarious, starbear. Hope you're OK today.

Dec 11, 07 6:53 am  · 
 · 
n_

I got home from work around 5:30 and immediately made holiday cookies for my neighbors. I was in bed at 8:45. No joke.

I am one step closer to being an 84 year old woman.

Dec 11, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
manamana

I need to rant, but I'm at work and not nearly drunk enough.

tonight I'm getting shitfaced and ripping on apple's ipod and itunes software.

Dec 11, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

holy crap. sorry.

Dec 11, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

no headache, still buzzed though.

Dec 11, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 

it's all right, n. I've always wished that I was a bear, or some other sort of hibernating creature, so that I could just sleep right through the winter and never have to deal with it. I sleep soooo much in the wintertime. I think my body just doesn't know what else to do with all this darkness!

My reviews start today! Despite some battles with the printer yesterday, I think I'm in pretty good shape. I may not even have to present, though. Because reviews have to fit into an allotted finals time here (2 hours), and the studios are so big (25+ people), they actually draw names out of a hat to see who's going to present. I think that's pretty tacky and it should be done on basis of merit, but oh well.

Dec 11, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Hope your head doesn't feel like it's going to explode when the buzz wears off Starbear. Will we get to see photos?

@ Rationalist - Have you ever thought about moving to a tropical environment? Good luck with finals.

The sun is out for the first time in days today. Almost forgot what it was like. Ahhhh so nice!

Dec 11, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

gl on your reviews rationalist!

Dec 11, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I actually had to wear my sunglasses on the way to work this morning, for the first time in days. We're expecting more rain/sleet/snow beginning tonight, though.

Dec 11, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

tumbles, celebration is postponed until tomorrow, since I'm taking three studios and have to help administer the history final. And then I have to grade. Ugh. But anyway, my studio may head out on the town tomorrow night for group celebration.

I'm am rocking 9 hours of sleep, though. I find that I can't do good typography when I'm tired, and that rules out most of the work I need to do at the end of the quarter.

Dec 11, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

oh and tuna- not so much. I like cities. And suprisingly, I do sort of like snow. I just wish there were more light during this time of the year.

Dec 11, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Rationalist - I am actually right there with you. I like snow and don't really mind the cold, but hate the limited amount of daylight.

Dec 11, 07 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

How can you guys sleep more than 7 hours a night.....there's just so much to do, my body starts nagging me at 6 hours going, "hello, it's time to go".......

Structures final presentation today. Very exciting, and not just because our project is rad.....

Dec 11, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

It's all about the light, DubK. When it's dark for so long, my body says "ok, time to sleep!". I get much less sleep in the summertime.

Good luck with all things structures-related!

Dec 11, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

does stevegambini add anything useful to this forum?

Dec 11, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Nope.

Dec 11, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

wK- my cat (the magnificent doctor suess) just sent you an email.

TC- it's good to be home. I feel like dorothy returning from the land of korean food oz. next trip, I'll book direct flights even if it costs $100 more - I got stranded at ohare for 4 hours after missing my connection. Didn't have a chance to say hi to all those archinecteurs in the windy city - sorry.

Dec 11, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

tk, I got the email, thanks. Please tell Dr. Seuss that I appreciate the shout out, and there's nothing wrong with a few extra pounds, especially if you're expected to do nothing except sit around all day.

The good news is my structures presentation went really, really well. The bad news is I have to finish lighting now, and I am so not interested in doing it, I might be screwed.

Dec 11, 07 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

tumbleweed, you make a good point. Although to their credit, there are people that care in this class and that are actually pretty good at it. Another classmate took 3rd place in the competition last year. It's time to put a shine on this BS....

Dec 12, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 

i was browsing the member pages and found out this is the last archinect member in alphabetical order.
really funny. or it was...
last member of archinect award goes to....>>>>>>>

Dec 12, 07 1:01 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Nice find Orhan. It's amazing to me how many people register but never post.

I have succeeded at procrastinating on the lighting project by booking a hotel in Hawaii for my friend's wedding. Yippee! I wonder if there's anything else I can spend money on to procrastinate.....

Dec 12, 07 3:01 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

RIP stevie g.

Dec 12, 07 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I need to rant for a minute about Starbucks.

I generally like working in this particular location in Manhattan: Many subway lines are nearby, there's ample options for lunch break, and Central Park is two blocks away. Not a bad area to spend 9+ hours a day, five days a week.

The biggest problem, though, concerns my choice of coffee purveyors in the morning. Everyday I climb the stairs out of the subway, stop to grab a large cup of coffee (our office coffee is terrible), and head into the office. The total distance between the subway station and the office is about half a block, which limits my coffee options unless I go at least a block out of my way.

I don't particularly care for Starbucks coffee, but unfortunately they seem to be my only convenient option. There are no less than four (count 'em) Starbucks locations within a block of the office, and one of them lies directly on my path between the subway and the office. This is the one I stop at every morning, if only for the sake of convenience, and every morning it's the same routine:

1. Open door to this Starbucks, and curse under my breath when I see how long the line is. The end of the line is usually right at the doorway, sometimes even extending onto the sidewalk outside.

2. Roll my eyes at the insipid music they have playing. It's always the same stale collection of crowd-pleasing, over-played oldies or, at this time of the year, hokey holiday music that they put into rotation sometime during the last inning of the World Series.

3. Look at what's going on behind the counter. There's always 6-8 people working there, and they're yelling at each other, bumping into each other, tripping over each other, and/or socializing with each other. You'd think with that many people working there, the line would be moving rapidly, but instead it creeps along as the dark green sea of humanity behind the counter froths with confusion and dysfunction.

4. As I slowly make my way to the front of the line, I have no less than three different Starbucks employees yell at me from across the room, asking me what my order is. Nothing complicated, just a venti coffee with room for cream. Each time I give them my order, it gets barked to another employee, who relays the information to somebody else, who is usually busy talking to somebody else and not paying attention. Then yet another employee will ask me what my order is, and the cycle repeats itself. Bear in mind that this isn't happening just to me, but to every other customer in line as well.

5. At some point I finally get to the cashier, who asks me what I'm having. Just as I begin to answer, she turns her head and begins talking to another employee behind her, ignoring me. She then asks me to repeat my order, which now is the fifth time I've told a Starbucks employee that I'd like a venti coffee with room. She then barks my order to the people behind her, and the whole cycle described in Step 4 repeats itself. I pay the cashier and wait for my coffee.

6. I then wait with the other customers who are still waiting on their own coffee orders. And I wait, and wait some more. You'd think that there would be five venti-sized cups of coffee rapidly coming my way, but no, all the yelling and confusion in Steps 4 and 5 appears to have been in vain.

7. After a few minutes of waiting, I inquire as to the status of my order, and usually a venti coffee with room for cream will somehow appear in front of me. Meanwhile, there's always a steady pile of miscellaneous other coffee drinks that I didn't order being placed on the counter in front of me. Apparently no other customers ordered them either, because nobody is claiming them despite repeated announcements.

That's on a good day, if they didn't get my order wrong.

8. I get to the condiment bar which, nine times out of ten, has been depleted of creamer and/or sweetener with nary a refill in sight. Assuming I haven't given up the will to live at this point, I flag down an employee, who, after a long wait, will hastily shove some creamer and/or sweetener in my general direction.

9. I finally make my escape out the door, back to the relative calm and relaxation of Midtown Manhattan at the peak of morning rush hour. I marvel at how such a badly-managed operation can somehow stay in business, until I remember that I just paid almost $3 for a cup of coffee that probably cost about a nickel wholesale.

Finally, after going through this ordeal on a near-daily basis for almost six months, I write a long treatise about how I'd give my left testicle for a better coffee option -- anything other than Starbucks -- within a half-block of my office.

Dec 12, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LiG, email this to Starbuck's customer comment form right now.

I really enjoyed reading that, by the way!

Dec 12, 07 10:15 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

ask santa for a thermos...

Dec 12, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
FRO

LiG- thank you for helping me appreciate the little things in my life.

Dec 12, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 
manamana

I just bought an espresso machine. I make americanos (espresso + water) and it costs about $0.15 a cup. latte is not quite a quarter. and that's using the really expensive beans.

Dec 12, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: