Nov 1, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Crap. Like a bad penny, Per is back.

Nov 1, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

, GIS is amazingly cool and awesome.

it is also totally frustrating cuz i want to be able to play with the files in autocad and then dump them back, but could never get that to work.

but within its own universe the power of GIS is unelievable, as long as the database is set up. doing databases on your own can be a big pain. for my research i needed to digitise and input a series of quite large maps going back to 1970 so i could show/map change over time. GIS is incredibly powerful with that kind of thing, but making the database to run on ARC-GIS was such a pain i ended up doing it manually/graphically using autocad and flash (for animations) instead...which is stupid...but faced with time constraints was easiest way to go.

i am looking forward to day when all computer software works with keanu reevesian had gestures in the air. or maybe a holodeck. yeah that would be cool. "computer, show me a plan of....

Nov 1, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

wow, that whole hidden code thing is amazing...

never knew it was possible to make a color-ed, italic, bold, red link

neato.

Nov 1, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
fun with html
Nov 1, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

me thinks that was too big...ha hah

Nov 1, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
Go0gle

?

hi TC.
mighty lives.

Nov 1, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i judge a comment on the character of its content and not the color of its font.- martin luther king jr.

Nov 1, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

for vado: oh, poo

Nov 1, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, I had my performance review today. Once again I seem to have demonstrated my uncanny ability to fall into a pile of shit and come out smelling like roses.

At my last firm, I'd move heaven and earth to produce a near-flawless set of construction documents under an impossible deadline.,When the boss wanted to chat with me afterwards, I'd usually be expecting some sort of thanks for pulling off a miracle. Instead, I'd usually get chewed out for using a non-approved font on the cover page, or for using architectural ticks instead of closed arrows on my dimension styles. (Yes, that actually happened.)

Here at my current job, although I produce quality work and always meet my deadlines, I still feel like I've been slacking off more than I should. Weird thing is, nobody else seems to have noticed. I got called into the boss's office this afternoon for my performance review, and I was half-expecting to be confronted with a 300-page log file of every website I've surfed on company time since July. Instead, he compliments me on my taking the initiative, my hard work, and my design talent. I felt like George Costanza in Steinbrenner's office.

I brought up a few of my concerns, mostly about my desk situation. They're in a bit of a bind in terms of finding space for people, but they assured me that a solution is in the works and thanked me for being patient.

They also told me that they want to get me on a real project as soon as possible, as opposed to the series of short-term piecemeal tasks I've mostly been working on sense I started there. They assured me that I wasn't being punished for anything; it's just the way the chips happened to fall.

So, I'm feeling better about my job, and I'll feel even more better when I can finish cleaning up these God-forsaken AutoCAD drawings I've been put in charge of. Beware of people who know just enough AutoCAD to do massive amounts of damage to a drawing.

No word on a raise or bonus, but I figure I haven't been there long enough to worry about that stuff yet.

Nov 1, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

Hi Thread Central, i just wanted to pop in and point out that, while you all are having a nice discussion about BIM here, the actual thread that sparked that talk is devolving into a flame war.

I know y'all like him, but maybe it's time to reel in your pet troll again.

Nov 1, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

pets are fun

Gin congrats on the great review, Life has a way of offering us good surprises that way

Nov 1, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Congrats on the good recview, LiG - isn't it nice to hear praise every now and again? A little goes a long way.

Nov 2, 07 12:03 am  · 
 · 

jump,
great pictures from your project. looks nice. interesting wood framing details.

Nov 2, 07 2:40 am  · 
 · 

thanks orhan.

the wood framing was mostly a direct result of the structural needs...we had hoped to have more involvement by the engineer in form making, so we could have a strong effect with little gymnastics, but in the end his team just made our vision possible, using steel mostly. it is such a small span but in earthquake prone tokyo making even this small bubble of space was not easy...

yesterday the slab formwork came down and we got a proper first look at all the concrete. some rough patches here and there but is quite ok all in all.

up to now things have been very easy and relatively smooth, but now we have a lot of detailing to confirm that will make or break the project. we are finding that even our medium small contractor has a tendency to intepret drawings according to his habits rather than what we have put on paper and negotiating the two is going to be a necessity if we want anything half decent. this is for me the funnest part of the job but i am heavily inolved in final push for phd and we have a few other projects we are trying to get properly off the ground...kind nervous making time...

ah well. better to be busy than have nothing to do... i think...

how are new digs btw, now that you have had a chance to settle in?

Nov 2, 07 4:44 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

hey...yo...i'm still alive

Nov 2, 07 9:25 am  · 
 · 
ether

no you're not.

Nov 2, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

jump, by the way: the house looks fantastic. I love the interior space next to the exterior sloping planter. Very exciting to see it coming along!

Nov 2, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 

i don't have jump's blog bookmarked here at the ofc. will someone give me a link, please?

Nov 2, 07 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

So my third friend in four months has moved out of this god forsaken city. Just biding my time until I can get out as well. Obviously, I'm rather bummed at the moment, but fortunately, I'll be seeing her in two weeks as my office is sending me to her neck of the woods. Yay! Congrats on the good review LIG. Hope they find a new space soon. I thought I had it bad with people walking behind me all day.

Jump-
Could you send out the link info to your photos. I've "lost" it and would love to see the progress.

Nov 2, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

I just wanted to share my own personal worry and concerns

Well seems like I can be on this job until March, but anytime after that is looking dismal. The financiers are keen to have someone with town planning experience fill the post I am currently acting in, despite the fact the fact that I have a great delivery tract record. It puts things into perspective and I feel a little [colour=grey]quiet[/color] because of it. But the good news is this, all the members of staff including my immediate has categorically said he wants to retain me - that made me smile, and I wonder if he is going to threatened to quit to keep me. It will be interesting to see how this develops over the coming months.

ps. still have gone to get punctured..will see how I feel after the weekend

Nov 2, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

ack I'm not sure which is worse my grammar or my failure to grasp the use of colo(u)r in html

Nov 2, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

techno, with your immediate supervisor supporting you, I hope it works out that you can stay. IN the meantime, keep doing good work of which you will be proud, even if the money guys eff it up for you.

tunamelt, don't be sad! There must be more cool people in your town!

For jump's blog, click on his bold, italicized, red letters a few posts above...a hidden link, that jump is so clever!

Nov 2, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

that's what I am think Liberty, he has been known to fight a good fight. He's been remarking as of late that we work well together, and that it could stem from the fact that we think like and read alike. I was humbled by that because I am still in a sense of awe by him and its not because of this

Nov 2, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

There are, but I'm not having much luck in finding one's that stick around. Most people it seems get married by the age of 12 here so being the eternally single person I am, I don't get invited to too many functions b/c it seems as though having an even amount of people is suddenly a prerequisite. Now that I've said this, DubK is sure to raise hell as soon as she sees it. Oh well. Thanks LB - our server's was acting up but now it's working properly, so finally I can see the links.

Nov 2, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

thanks, liberty bell! looks great, jump. the roof framing is exquisite.

Nov 2, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

self-indulgent link from a proud daddy.

Nov 2, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Wow Jump! Your project is coming along quite nicely, isn't it? I find the framing to be absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to see the end result.

Nov 2, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Wow Steven, it's like you and your wife each got a mini-me. Soo Cute!!

Nov 2, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven, you've opened the floodgates....

Angus as Dracula

Those girls of yours are SO incredibly beautiful, and I love the grapes costume!!

Nov 2, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

You both have cute kids.

Nov 2, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

oooh, angus looks scary!

the pix i posted are from sunday. on halloween our little fairy princess vetoed the white shoes and decided that what her costume needed was her black/teal cowboy boots.

Nov 2, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Similarly, Angus didn't want this actual hair black, but also didn't want a blonde widow's peak. These kids, little tyrants!

jump, did you guys do Halloween in Japan this year? I seem to recall you doing it last year.

Nov 2, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Nov 2, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Oh shit, I really jumped the gun on that one. Shame, because it's such a cool image.

Nov 2, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Nov 2, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LiG, you could have submitted a picture of your workspace!!!!!!

Nov 2, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ok, I promise I'm not being hateful, so please don't take it as such (I've been getting into trouble for that lately). But why do people dress up their infants? Why do they dress up any kid under the age of 2, or 3, which ever age it is that they become aware what Halloween means in America?

I mean, we had moms bringing around children that we less than a year old, and it seemed to me just a poorly disguised way of getting candy for themselves.

Is this something I don't get just because I don't have kids?

Nov 2, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

because it's fun! and because the little ones actually love the attention. we dressed up our 7mo old (see link above if you haven't) for the halloween party at the zoo and she was giggly the whole time!

it's not about candy, because we didn't collect much at all. i brought what we did get to the office today so it wasn't around the house. (our kids don't really know what candy is yet.)

Nov 2, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

i mean, come on, sarah, doesn't this melt your heart?

Nov 2, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

maggie may is a really good song.

Nov 2, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sarah, I believe it's mostly some unidentifiable and unfightable urge that happens we one becomes a parent. For Angus' first Halloween, I not only dressed him up (in the worm costume I wore for my first Halloween), I also made jack-o-lantern cupcakes. Did I mention he was 5 months old and was still only eating breast milk? It's not like HE was going to eat one of those stupid cupcakes! And I had never done anything so "mom-like" in my life.

But something just...happens...when you become a parent. Don't worry about it, and don't be surprised about it either. It just happens.

Nov 2, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wore a worm costume too!!!

Nov 2, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
ether

we can't wait until next halloween when we can take the little'un out. we've already got our costumes planned. the five of us (mom, dad, baby and the two dogs) are going as a sled dog team.

Nov 2, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I quit today, for real this time. On a leap of faith, a new beginning is nigh!

Nov 2, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Re: babies in costumes, I think that we just like seeing small "beings" dressed up in costumes. I think that many pet owners experience the same urges as parents.....it's like, 'oooh, I have this tiny helpless creature, wouldn't it be hilarious if I made it look like a pumpkin for a day'? I mean, right?

tunamelt.....I'm sorry we left you. Was there a good farewell lunch? Where did you guys go? Did you sit next to anyone interesting??? ;oP

Did you guys actually look at that cubicle article? I think this is the saddest thing I've ever seen:

SCI-arc Halloween party tonight! I'm still exhausted from Halloween in West Hollywood on Wednesday night. So far I'm having a good time in LA, but my experience that night would definitely have been better if the public transportation options here were sufficient. It took us 2 hours to get there - mostly on foot!!! - and nearly 2 hours to get home, because the buses were either full or stuck in traffic. Madness!

Nov 2, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yay! afka bear quit! Congrats! Now go get a real job! :o)

Just out of curiosity, how many of your coworkers have left at this point?

Nov 2, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: