Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

****melt

Very rarely do I remember my dreams. When I do though. I always try to figure out the significance of them. My best friend has been married now for almost ten years and uses MySpace to stalk her ex. She never contacts him, she does tries to see what he's up to.

Nov 6, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

p2an yea the chair was designed by Harry Bertoia but for the Eames product company. I should of made the clarification, thanks tho. I didn't know it was called the 420...something to remember when the posts get that high...archinect v.12a

Nov 6, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

i'm thinking of a new blog. 'LUL: towards a Less Ugly Louisville'.

this after seeing the following while out of the office this a.m.:

a new piece of crap colonial carwash under construction (actually almost finished in just over a week!)

a new asphalt pour with no defined edges, just wherever

two women shopping and examining christmas ceramic pigs appreciatively

5 tossed cigarette butts from cars in front of me at traffic lights

really none of these are big things, just small things that add to my overall discouragement about the world we've made/are making.

Nov 6, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

two nights in a row now I've had dreams of children and people talking over my body. Creepy I know

Nov 6, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

dub K, I'm so loving those Halloween pics!!

Nov 6, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

That is kind of creepy A-techno... as are idea Xmas ceramic pigs and the colonial carwash. SHUTTER! SHUTTER!

Nov 6, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Speaking of blogs, I was going to do a little blog post highlighting all of my friend's blogs and why I have links to them. Everybody here cool with that? I thought I would check even though they are technically public domain....courtesy and all. :o)

Nov 6, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Gawd, Steven - here I am thinking how incredibly adventurous and cool the urbanscape of Louisville is, and you start talking about ceramic pigs - are you sure you didn't stumble onto 86th Street in Indy this morning?!

Nov 6, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, lb, we've never let you out of the downtown area.

Nov 6, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Hey, your carwash could go next to the colonial rental-storage place I drive by every day!

Nov 6, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well your downtown area kicks my downtown area's butt, Steven!

Still, if you start a blog, I'll definitely read it.

Nov 6, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my exgf' future wife's friend is on jeopardy champions tonite. this friend rented a villa in italy after winning and exgf/futurewife went there and hung out.

Nov 6, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

coolio.

so, what is wrong with ceramic pigs? i would prefer them to the ceramic angels my gran made for me.

in tokyo people carry fireproof pockets for their cigarette butts. is part of a larger campaign by the tabaco companies i think to keep attention down by encouraging good manners.

Nov 6, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well she didnt win but got 21k so may move on as a high winner.

Nov 6, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Steven be happy you have a downtown. With all the changes the chief minister requested from me yesterday I'm not sure we'll even get a chance to get this new capital built.

I did take a panoramic picture today I need to stitch it together tonight. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Nov 6, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Steven - Are these ceramic pigs anything like the ceramic geese people used to have in their front yards? People decorated/dressed them up differently for every holiday. Does anyone else remember that or was that just a central Ohio thing? That's what popped into my head when you talked about the ceramic pigs.

Nov 6, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 

thank the stars we only had to deal with clay pots in the yard...which like everyone and their grandpup had. Sometimes, just sometimes they placed plants inside them

Nov 6, 07 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

This is the third day in a row I've ended up getting a mouthful of coffee grounds when reaching the bottom of my daily Starbucks fix. How horrid.

(I'd much prefer getting my fix and an independent/organic/fair trade/shade-grown coffee house, but none are as convenient to the office as the Starbucks next door.)

Nov 7, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

you might have to complain LiG

Nov 7, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My cafe client is renovating their flagship store and were adamant about not shutting down during the remodel. So right now I'm sitting in the cafe: half the space is draped with plastic sheeting, half the walls are daubed with spackle, half the fireplace surround is torn away, half the cabinets are in the process of being intalled, and the plumbing guys are using a Sawzall.

I am just happy as a clam in this environment with my tea and laptop! But I have to applaud the other regulars here who are not being chased away by their neighborhood hangout turning into a construction site.

I should put a pic on the jobsite thread...

Nov 7, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Attention Orhan, or anyone else who remembers this:

Remember that link you posted a long time ago showing seismic failure in a number of structures following the earthquake of 1989/1994 (I can't remember which one)? There were a bunch of pictures on the page and it was really fascinating. Do you still have that? Does anyone else? I remember looking at it for a long time but I think I bookmarked it on the computer that no longer exists :o(

Nov 7, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Goetz has some great slides that he always shows of Northridge- when he talks about how all the newscasters thought they had it figured out that "the earth moved 8 feet, because that's how much the buildings moved!" when it was just 8' columns toppling over.

Nov 7, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

rationalist is talking about my little old German structures teacher, who reminds me of my grandpa, if my grandpa were an internationally renowned structures genius. And yes, I need that web site for his class, but the point is to find new pictures to show, not ones that he already has!

Nov 7, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

hi wk,

there are some nice slides here;
http://www.data.scec.org/chrono_index/northreq.html

what you are looking for is this;
http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/nesc/bobcox/ndx2.php

don't ask me how i remembered it!

Nov 7, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

Liberty that sounds like a fun project, and a perfect excuse to spend your afternoons in a cafe...are they taking the tab? They should. Its a pity its just plastic hiding the works taking place...I remember being in London somewhere, similar story, and they had used structural glass lightly frosted to expose the works taking place but without the sound. Everyone piled around watching them work (the workers couldn't see them) - it was very voyerist

Nov 7, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Orhan> brilliant! Thank you!!!!

Nov 7, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

ah, didn't really that it was for him.

Nov 7, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

that's "realize" not "really".

edit button, please?

Nov 7, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

LB, that sounds exactly like what the starbucks in Bern, Switzerland. Not sure if the half-finished construction look was part of the decor or they had to open in time to become the most epensive starbucks in the world. Was a great space regardless. Can't remember what it was renovated from.

Nov 7, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Those earthquake photos are pretty freaky... I've never been in an earthquake, but the idea of one scares the shit out of me. I'd rather deal with a tornado or hurricane... At least I'd get some warning.

Nov 7, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

I used to say that too LIG, but after seeing the effects of Katrina (this having been through 2no. hurricanes already) - I think I'd not like to experience any of them

Nov 7, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

okay they are already playing christmas commercials.. wtf? is up with that.

Nov 7, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

I feel your pain vado...thought they had to wait until Thanksgiving for that...apparently not

Nov 7, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Vado - I feel you. Macy's had their stores decorated with Christmas crap the first week of October.

Nov 7, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
ether

today might be a good day to have a baby.

Nov 8, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 8, 07 9:09 am  · 
 · 

my wife put up the christmas tree with the girls after school today.

we hae a wee plastic one that looks almost real and have used since moving back to japan. i suggested we wait but the girls were so excited my wife relente. i have no idea how they knew christmas was coming; it isn't on tv here or anything like that. but they did. my youngest was enthralled by the tree and the princess ornaments my mum sent last year. she lay down and just looked at the thing. amazing what a year will do. this is going to be a very fun christmas season now both the girls are old enough to enjoy it. only 5 of us, which is sad cuz am used to 30 cousins at a big table...but 5 will do.

earthquakes are scary when big i think LIG. i am hoping tokyo will be ready when the next one comes. another disaster like kobe would be awful. but when small they aren't much different than a huge truck driving by your window. not too bad.

Nov 8, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 

it's official... i just submitted my letter of resignation...

this is either the best or the dumbest decision that i've ever made...

so long cushy government job that would pay around $80K...

hello self employment with guaranteed salary of $0...

i need a stiff drink...

Nov 8, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

congrats! drink up!

i can't believe it's the dumbest decision. if it ends up great - great. if it ends up less than ideal - redirect again.

Nov 8, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Exactly what Steven said. Shoot for the moon, you may end up landing in the stars. Or something like that.

Either way, you'll be proud that you tried something new instead of remaining comfortable.

Congratulations!!!!!

Nov 8, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

IS THAT A STEVIE NICKS LYRIC?

Nov 8, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

yay archtiphil! we are in the same boat, kinda.

Nov 8, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Speaking of jobs (and of Jobs, har har), this afternoon I interviewed for a part-time position at my local Apple Store. Seems like it could be a fun gig, and they actually offer better benefits than my full-time job... I just hope that my daytime employer is okay with me taking on outside employment, and that I can handle an extra 20-24 hours a week, at least through the holidays. The extra cash (as well as the generous employee discount) would certainly come in handy.

Nov 8, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

LIG....I have a lady friend who works for Apple in Montreal....hubbba hubba hubba...

Nov 8, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

So I'm sitting in this class again - I think I've mentioned it before, it's the one that I can't stand to be in - anyway, there's a guest lecturer and he's telling a whole room of architecture students not to be architects because it doesn't pay. Hmmm. OK. I paid roughly $4500 for this semester long class, and at 16 weeks for the semester, I've calculated that I paid about $281.25 for this guy to come in here and tell me not to do my job. Literally he's been talking about how to buy into a firm for the past 30 minutes because "that's the only way you can make money in an architecture firm". Remind me about this post when I go to write the evaluation for this class.

Anyway, I'm going to go surf the internet now.....I've decided to stop paying attention since I disagree with almost everything he's saying.

Nov 8, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

WTF? How does that even have to do with that particular class's topic?

Nov 8, 07 8:42 pm  · 
 · 

er, WHAT does that have to do with that particular classes topic?

Nov 8, 07 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I think it's a big advertisement for being a lighting designer. Not sure. Stopped listening 45 mins ago.

Nov 8, 07 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Wonder is his name Wally???? Is he wearing red converse Basket Ball Shoes?????? Is his claim to fame, "He lit up the Pope?"

Nov 8, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

snooker, no. I'm still here though. Got my inbox cleaned out, which is nice.

Nov 8, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: