Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

vado retro

if you are feeling vulnerable, old, unloved or forgotten DO NOT listen to c,sn and y's "Helplessly Hoping" at work. the tears may make your redlines run.

Aug 3, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

correction, neil young's not on that one.

Aug 3, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

but he is too be avoided as well.

Aug 3, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

vado, go find out what you can download now that "dildos, vibrators and penis pumps" have been removed from the company firewall!!

Aug 3, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

QUICK!! Must find picture of 135 dildos!!!!!!!...............................

Aug 3, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

uhmm liberty?

this is the nearest thing I could find

Aug 3, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

ok that makes little sense - two guiness and i'm useless. Time to go back to no drinking

either that or return to the clarity of scotch - what says the queens?

Aug 3, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

has lb been gettin into the scotch/whiskey or the like?

then again if i had a nickel for ever time someone asked me
to find a picture of 135 dildos...well...

Aug 3, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

...then you'd have a nickle.

Beta, you've got email.

Aug 3, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

ok..i mean it was a joke...but is there a chance it was two nickels?

Aug 3, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

take one down pass it around, 134 dildos on the wall...

Aug 3, 07 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

back from some fun indy fringe festival events. much free wine. dj future rapper liked my archinect sucks t, as did several other folks. now im drunk.

Aug 3, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aw, crap, did Fringe stsrt already?!?

My 135 reference was to the apge number, the dildos was in response to vado's bummed out post at the near-bottom of page 134. Trying to cheer him up. Glad you're drunk, vado!

Aug 3, 07 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And also to beta: any home purchase news?

Aug 3, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm alive, but barely. Nothing says pain like discovering how much stuff you actually have by loading into the back of a truck.

However....all accounts are closed, all of my money is accounted for (thank you direct deposit), and my car is gone. He was like a family member. He will be missed. Goodbye, Petey!

Steven, I want you to know that I am getting made fun of quite a bit for suspending my trip only 90 minutes into the drive to have brunch. Hey, we have to have our priorities!

Aug 3, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

well, that IS a bit funny.

Being sick is boring. It means that I've sat in this apartment all day today, all day yesterday, and I can't go out tonight. I guess I should do some actual work or something.

Aug 3, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, it's over. We had our big final party and exhibition this evening, and our critic took us out for food and drinks in the neighborhood. There's a lot I could write about the past five weeks, but I'm not sure where to begin... I can't help but think of the objectives I had in mind when I first decided to enroll in this program back in March:

Objective: Escape the daily grind of professional practice and immerse myself in a studio environment for a few weeks.

Check.

Objective: Earn transfer credit that can be applied toward my undergrad BA degree.

Check.

Objective: Do some cool projects that can be added to my portfolio the next time I apply to grad schools.

Check.

Objective: Do some networking to meet people in the NYC architecture community, and maybe even get a letter of recommendation from my studio critic.

Check. Our critic has taught at many top-tier architecture schools in NYC and beyond, and has offered to write letters for anybody in the section who asks. Besides that, he seems like a guy I want to stay in touch with anyway.

Objective: To develop a more theoretical sensibility, a more rigorous process, and apply it to my design projects.

In progress. That's not something that can happen in five weeks, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface in that regard. I can design some very cool stuff, but I need to work on the "why" questions.

And with that, the Columbia summer studio is over just as abruptly as it started... On Monday, it's back to the working world full-time.

Now I have exactly one week to find a new place to live in NYC, before I'm kicked out of the Columbia dorms. Time to start checking craigslist on an hourly basis.

Aug 3, 07 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Here's some photos

from tonight's exhibition.... The last photo is of my final project. I promise I'll post a full report about that project along with more drawings and photos, but I need to scan some stuff first.

Aug 4, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
boxy

congrats LIG, i havent looked at the work yet but i'm sure it's great. now get some sleep!

Aug 4, 07 2:15 am  · 
 · 

congratulations on the completion of the summer programme 'Gin and good photos

Aug 4, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

Gin, your stuff definitely looks more developed than the rest in those shots. This can be a good thing and a bad thing, which I know from experience since I was usually that person in school, too. Keep it loose, remember the point is to develop your theoretical abilities (since you already have extensive professional practice). I'm sure you'll do better next application season, especially since the finishing of the BA degree was likely a major obstacle for schools.

My parents have officially gone insane: they have decided to stay in Bonaire and build vacation homes. They're going with a manufactured flat-pak housing approach, and want me to whip up some plans. They said they'll pay me, but I feel bad about that. So I proposed a minimal hourly rate + small chunk of equity. I figure this way, if it fails I've only charged them a few peanuts, and if it succeeds I won't feel badly about cashing in on it. Techno, I may be contacting you in the future about finding a local architect to stamp.

Aug 4, 07 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

liberty, in short, no. the asshat - someone used that in another thread and i like the tone - decided not to accept our offer. never mind that he was a FSBO and had only one agent to pay, it seems paying our closing costs was a no go. so, the next day he listed with an agent, duh?? a few days later the markets tank, investors and creditors worry, now he's in deep doo. we'll wait until our lease is up, and if his home is still around, well, you can figure our offer will be considerably less than the one he rejected.

Aug 5, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 

rationalist - I'll make a few searches. Most architects I know in the dutch antilles have status in all terriorities simply for that reason. If I can head to this conference next month I should be able to tell you something definate.

Aug 5, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

had a wonderful breakfast of orange spice french toast and bacon with wonderk this morning - 90 minutes into her trek from cincinnati to l.a. for grad school! i feel honored for my family to have been included as a stop along the way and my girls were starstruck!

Aug 5, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

will she be posting from the road?

Aug 5, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

haha, I doubt it. But I report any funny text messages I recieve if it makes you feel better, vado.

Haha, in less than a week the whisky will be flowing!

Aug 5, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

hey beta, what about building your own?
i don't know the availability of the empty lots in your area but it can cost less than what you are paying for something you might remodel anyway, as long as you keep it simple.
it is a different financing tract but at the end, it might pay-off big time. what about finding a nice little lakeside or riverside property?

ooops. i sound more excited than you. it is a bad ass urban combustion day in la. too far to walk, too jammed to park.

~~~

Thai Basil or Mint Chicken Recipe;

1 lb. skinned, boned chicken breasts, or thighs
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 green onions, chopped
2 TBS peanut or olive oil
4 tiny green or red Thai chili peppers, stemmed and finely chopped
3/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil or mint leaves
2 TBS fish sauce

Put chicken breasts (or thighs) in freezer until firm but not frozen solid. Cut chicken into tiny slivers. Heat up wok, add oil, and stir-fry garlic and green onions until tender but not brown, about 1-2 minutes. Add chili peppers and cook, stirring, about 1 minute more. Add chicken and stir-fry until cooked through. Stir in basil or mint and fish sauce, mixing thoroughly.
Serve over rice, if desired.

i prefer mint version for tonight.

Aug 5, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

speaking of cooking, when I was packing books away I found a vegitarian cookbook that my parents got me around a decade ago. I looked through it, and the recipes are far more appealing now than they were as a teenager. I figure I'll have to try some veggie cooking once the book gets unpacked again.

Aug 5, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

funny - I'm having sukiyaki (less the mirin/sake) but its a long weekend and no one to eat with

Aug 5, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how much sodium is in that fish sauce orhan?

Aug 5, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

bok choy, shrimp, aubergines, plantains, onions, green peppers - and a bunch more fresh veggies

Aug 5, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

vado, you can eliminate the fish sauce and use low sodium soy sauce, which i should, since i have a high bp in last few weeks. thanks for pointing that out.

Aug 5, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

chicken SALAD (with fresh veggies from the jardin). sorry no pics - but the tomatoes rock!

don't skip the fish sauce - doesn't add much sodium per serving compared to how much flavor it brings out...

Aug 5, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

orhan, been thinking about that a lot. you'll never find the be-all-end-all, if you don't do it yourself........................................fahrvegneugen...

Aug 5, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I met DubK yesterday! I met DubK yesterday!

Aug 6, 07 10:08 am  · 
 · 

n_ I'm officially jealous. Thats a major celebrity sighting

Aug 6, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 

How far along her route are you, n?

Aug 6, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 

n_'s nashville, right? dubk was leaving our louisville brunch at about 1:30 and heading that way. and then she spent the night in memphis.

Aug 6, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 
n_

Yep, I'm in Nashville. She left for Graceland around 5:30.

Aug 6, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 

It's like tracking Santa Claus.

Aug 6, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
n_

Too bad she didn't drop off a Wii for me.

Aug 6, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

wonderk has left the building.

Aug 6, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 

haha. Update: just recieved a picture of WonderKitty curled cutely (and hopefully calmly) within tumbles' travel case.

Aug 6, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 

unfortunately we may lose track somewhere in the middle. not too many 'nector connections and they're staying in hotels. they ARE going to the grand canyon, however: maybe rationalist will receive a picture of wonderkitty on the skywalk!

Aug 6, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

unfortunately we may lose track somewhere in the middle. not too many 'nector connections and they're staying in hotels. they ARE going to the grand canyon, however: maybe rationalist will receive a picture of wonderkitty on the skywalk!

· 

[echo was with reference to the grand canyon. yeah...]

· 

No personal cameras are allowed on the skywalk, so that would be one expensive picture of WonderKitty!

Aug 6, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I HATE the no camera policies at places where the camera won't actually harm anything. I mean, come on, I wasn't using a flash, and my digital snapping wasn't hurting any of the statues at the Villa Borghese, you didn't have to kick me out.

Aug 6, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

I remember when I was at the high museum they were giving me a hard time when I was sketching as well - I asked "are you serious?" I was told with the recent terrorist attacks all suspicious people are questioned. Uh huh...so all architects and artists are suspicious...ok thanks

Aug 6, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Techno, you should a said, "Are you HIGH?"

Aug 6, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: