Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

similary those with accents

Steven Ward (southern clarity)
Garpike (Lord of the Rings, middle earth accent)
Abra/Orhan (Turkish/Mediterranean flair)
Treekiller (adopted South American Portugese)

Jul 15, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

You'll have to ask myriam if that's true. myriam's voice is slicing and intelligent and quick, just as she is. vado's voice is laid back and cool, as he is.

a'techno, based on those pics you posted on flickr recently, I need to not only talk to you but come visit you on the island!!

Jul 15, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Dost the lad garpike speaketh with one middle earthian aspect?

Say it ain't so...

Jul 15, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

ps I've been sipping some wine.

Jul 15, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Me? I'm from Rustbeltia.

Jul 15, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

P.S. I'm envious - sitting at my desk. But this is a rare occurrence, so I dare not complain.

Jul 15, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

garpike don't work on Sunday!

How the hell is "dost" spelled, anyway?

Jul 15, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I have a nice long weekend coming up...

Jul 15, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

Liberty - I would be honoured if you and your brood comes to visit.

I suspected a few would be fast talkers

Rationalist (with hand gestures)
Myriam
and madam tumbles (whilst smiling gleelying <- if that's a word)

I could be wrong but its what i hear in my head

Jul 15, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

damn I've just realised that I'm hearing voices in my head (channel KO'TC??)

Jul 15, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think of myself as necessarily a fast talker, at least not hyper-fast like you occasionally find out here in cali. But you're definitely right about the hand gestures.

In other news, my mother is moving back to Boniare. I assume that this means they got the plot of land they bid on.

Jul 15, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

gleeethly.

Jul 15, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I speak with lots of hand gestures, too. Even moreso when I'm drunk. My husband sometimes accuses me of almost knocking out passers-by.

Jul 15, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Not gleefully?

How about gleefullishly?

Jul 15, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Haha DCA that's me too!

Jul 15, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

They say men don't speak with hand gestures as much as women do. Male 'necters, is this true?

...and this is why my post count is so high.

Jul 15, 07 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

My hands are unstoppable.

Jul 15, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Sometimes I gesture instead of sketch architectural concepts; I call it Hand Gesture Architecture.

Jul 15, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

I occasionally find myself trying to describe a space with my hands and then think "idiot. nobody else is going to understand that." But I've always thought and learned spatially, so I doubt there's any way to break the habit.

Jul 15, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I find it useful to make whooshing and zipping noises when motioning forms.

Jul 15, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

all the architects i know talk with articulated hand gestures. it is really obvious. they/we use it in everything, describing shapes, volumes, movement, sound etc., more than average people.

should someone start how archinecters sound like thread?

Jul 15, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

i find I do alot of hand gestures - particularly when talking about process and circulation

Jul 15, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

they used to refer to my hand gestures as Crit Fu when i was in school

Jul 15, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Jul 15, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Well, if no one else will start a thread about what archinectors sound like, per abra's suggestion, I will do the honors, in my Wisconsin accent, of course.

Jul 15, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 

go on DCA! I'm right behind you...making a contribution

Jul 15, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

50% Grey in RGB-land.

Jul 15, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

upon returning to my apartment after my post dinner neighborhood power walk and anticipating a quiet evening of anglophiliac pbs watching, the entry to my building was clogged with people coming out, many with pet carriers, oh the fire alarms were blaring. so, i rushed up to the fourth floor and put on some shorts with pockets, grabbed my new id/wallet and jammed the cat into the cat carrier(receiving minor wounds in the process) and dashed back out. no less than six fire trucks rolled up and it appears there was a small kitchen fire on the top floor. fortunately it was minor and it was a beautiful night as i chatted with my neighbors. it amazes me how many people still freakin smoke cigarettes and drives the point home that if you rent have renters insurance!

Jul 15, 07 9:56 pm  · 
 · 

[as he lights up] vado I hope you are alright as is the cat. You haven't mentioned if there was a raging fire or anything so I trust that your belongings are in good order

Jul 15, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

apparently there was some small kitchen fire. but everything's still here.

Jul 15, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

good to know that everything is okay mr. vado.

Jul 15, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

gosh I go away for 48 hours and no one even tries to speculate what I sound like.

er, I guess that's because most of you have heard me speak in person. for those of you that haven't: I lapse into a false british accent occasionally, and I'm usually either about to laugh or just got done laughing.

Jul 15, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
some person

*shudder* I.can't.stand.the.false.british.accent. Although, I've never heard yours WonderK.

Jul 15, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

WK apologies, but yours is far more complex. Because I know what you write like the moving image in my head is of you giggling whilst writing up my postcard. And the false British accent/Bridget Jones is just freakily what I was imagining.

Jul 15, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I'm from Dan Rather country.....so I guess I have the broadcaster voice.....which I have been told by several women on the phone is
a very pleasant voice...then again it might be some of the Irish carrying over from past generations....

Jul 15, 07 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

My false British accent is entirely for comedic effect. Also I do it sometimes if I think people either aren't paying attention, or if the conversation has gotten too monotonous. This usually elicits some sort of reaction from the others, which is better than things getting boring.

I can't qualify what my voice sounds like. All I know is that it creeps me out to hear my own voice, always has.

~~~~~

myriam if you are out there, sorry for not calling. There was just not time for the box-fetching. We'll talk later. :o/

Jul 15, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
n_

The hair on the back of my neck sticks straight up whenever I hear my own voice. It's creepy.

It's also creepy that this is my 666 comment with 6 entries. Therefore, I am immediately commenting directly after posting this.

Jul 15, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, better.

Jul 15, 07 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hmmmm. I leave 3 weeks from today.

Starting to say my goodbyes to very important people. And....yep, I'm starting to freak out. What's the name of our club again? The one with the acronym? Something about a convention? I'm attending....

Jul 16, 07 12:44 am  · 
 · 

big earthquake in japan today. 6 on japanese scale, and event though it was on other side of country our wee building here in tokyo was shaking with a 3...and it was loooong. kids wife and i stood underneath a concrete beam and watched everything shake...man, i really don't want to be here when the big one goes off in tokyo. :-(

Jul 16, 07 4:32 am  · 
 · 

i'm weird about my voice. not one of my favorite things about myself. luckily, my brother has the same voice - so close that we have to identify ourselves on the phone to our mother - so there's some solidarity there.

Jul 16, 07 7:10 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

jump I'm glad to hear you guys are safe.

Steven I love to hear your voice! You always sound on the verge of laughter, sort of like WonderK.

Jul 16, 07 7:15 am  · 
 · 

just when i'm with you, lb.

Jul 16, 07 7:21 am  · 
 · 

i've been mia for a few days... in normal conversation i don't really use too many hand gestures... but when i really get going about architecture i break out the crit fu as techno called it... and it is amplified when i'm drinking...

for living in the south (if you count florida as the south) almost my entire life i don't really think that i have any discernible accent... my only southern trait is that i say "y'all"... which annoys me... i try to catch myself and not say it in professional situations... when i was in seattle last year two people stopped me to ask where i was from after i said y'all... ugh...

Jul 16, 07 8:54 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

jump, news of the quake here on the other side of the globe is thus far woefully inadequate. I am glad to hear that you and your family are OK though.

architphil, I was born south of the Mason-Dixon line and also take license to use the word "y'all" on occasion. Rare though.

Jul 16, 07 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ugh... Lots of work to do for studio, and I'm starting a new job, so of course I have to come down with a nasty cold right now. Impeccable timing.

Jul 16, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

BTW, Gin, I didn't congratulate you on your job. That's awesome. Glad the fly got fixed too, LOL.

Jul 16, 07 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I don't see anything wrong with the use of y'all. It is a proper contraction of you and all, not something made up like "yous." I think if you really wanted to you could also say you'ns, being that its you and ones, but it so regionally connected, and tiny, that its even more dialectic that any other plural form of you.

I have also learned, for anyone who needs justification, that "fixin' to" is indeed propper. It comes from the version of fixing, as in prepair. Such as "fixing a salad," or "fixing dinner," it is not, as previously considered, connected to fix, and in repair. So I feel much better about that.

Jul 16, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 

hahahahahahahaha! as someone who claims to be a southerner i have to say, sarah, that those are some of the worst rationalizations i've ever heard.

Jul 16, 07 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Whats so bad about them?

Jul 16, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: