Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

steven - those shoes are gorgeous. I'm added those to my wish/shopping list! Now I have to tap a vein - the shoe fetish is strong with this one!!

Speaking of which did anyone notice darth vadar/vado's booties in episode 3?

Jul 12, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

mine aren't that shiny. construction site mud. : (

Jul 12, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Strawbeary- no sequins. = ( I think the next pair are going to be some from the same line as above, but look like classic mary janes with a skinny strap over top. I bet in Seattle those would even pass as interview worthy, since people are so casual up there. But yes, they are actually even more comfortable to bike in than my regular sneakers, since they're so much narrower they stay on the pedal better.

Jul 12, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

last year

today

notice the wear n' tear. same shoes, different problem.

Jul 12, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

tumbles those patent numbers looks like Bridget sandals - nice!

disclaimer: My shoe fetish cares not about class, creed, race or sex (yes please!)

Jul 12, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

these are what I'm blogging from - a pair of quicksilver sandals, comfortable, durable and truly waterproof

Jul 12, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and the main reason I love B.P. so much:

Jul 12, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
there

was this thread that chili started but never got anywhere.

Jul 12, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

One of the nice things about working from home is I don't have to wear any fricking shoes. My toes love the fresh air....and I always do my designing when I'm not wearing shoes....Actually shoes are ment only for meetings with clients and having to leave the house to go some where like a job site.

Jul 12, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I am reluctant to post my footwear. Some of you know why. :)

Jul 12, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

So I was reviewing some shop drawings today, when I noticed some of the frames and doors weren't as I had them, in fact, they were way off. I e-mailed the contractor to alert him to the discrepency. Get this, apparently, the interior deisgner took out the doors and redesigned the frames.

Nobody ever told me, or asked me. I drew her shitty frames on the elevations just for kicks and it looks retarded and unthought-out to say the least. But I don't care, the client should have to live with it if that is how he wants to do things.

But, should I turn her in for practicing architecture without a license?

Jul 12, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
aml

hi tc,

all this shoe talk has made me sad [and boy, you guys are posting these days!!] last february i had a small foot injury of sorts- it's supposed to heal eventually but for now i need to use only sensible, small heel, arch supported shoes.

arghhh. i can't find anything nice. i've had to buy some shoes i really hate. anyone have any particular brand suggestions?

there can be a heel, but the important thing is the arch- most insoles are pretty bad, or they're good but my shoes no longer fit with the insole inside.

Jul 12, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi aml :)

Jul 12, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I should clarify, I'm not pissed that she wanted to take out the doors, I could get over it, just that she didn't bother to ASK, like she didn't need to.

Jul 12, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

its always when they don't ask Strawbeary - esp if you are the one pushing the project's vision

Jul 12, 07 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

seeing that thread made me wonder whatever happened to Oana.S?

Jul 12, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
aml

hi vado : )

i miss my heels, my wedges and my other non-arch supported shoes : (

· 
Ms Beary

:( I want to sew up that little architectural hole she left in my wall.

· 
vado retro

for aml...

Jul 12, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

oana is doing great. i received an email from her recently.

Jul 12, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 

okay cool tell her archinect misses her greatly

Jul 12, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

STRAW....BITE HER IN THE ASS! ALONG WITH EVERY BUILDING OFFICIAL WHO WANTS TO DESIGN BUILDINGS FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN MEETING THE CODES!

Jul 12, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

We had our tour of KPF this morning, which was interesting. Lots of nice projects and tons of cool study models stashed everywhere... At my last job, I never saw a single model being built in that office in two years of working there. I think that may become one of my criteria for evaluating prospective employers: Lots of study models = good. No study models = bad.

KPF sort of reminded me of Perkins + Will in terms of their corporate culture and general approach to design. Probably a bit too big for my taste (both in terms of the firm size and the typical project size), but as far as big corporate firms go, they're doing some pretty nice work. The guys who showed us around were very cool, seemed to know their stuff well, and had a genuine interest in meeting with us.

Their office itself, though, was a big letdown. I guess I was sort of expecting lots of open spaces, high ceilings, clean lines, and high-tech detailing... Instead it was sort of a claustrophobic warren of various rooms, with a very 1980's PoMo feeling to it all. It's obvious they've been in that space for a long time, and everything had a pretty tired look. They'd be well-served by either renovating that space or moving into some new digs.

Long day in studio today, as we're trying to wrap up our second project. In a nutshell, we have to build models that represent certain inherent characteristics of a number (from 0 to 9) that we've been randomly assigned. I have the number 9. Our critic mentioned that I seem to have a good knack for visualizing interesting spaces and a high level of craftsmanship, but that I need more of a theoretical concept -- more of an agenda -- to base it on. I tend to agree, as theory is probably my weakest point. I've always had a good intuitive design/aesthetic sense and a strong attention to detail, but I tend to find that most architectural theory goes right over my head. This dilemma was also reflected in many of the comments about my grad school portfolio a few months ago here on archinect.... Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

My first of several job interviews is tomorrow morning... This is the firm that's gotten pretty good reviews on insidearch.org, and seems to do decent design work. In the words of one reviewer, "Maybe not the starting lineup, but definitely major league material." Time to bust out my brand-new Kenneth Cole black suit and shoes.

I've since heard back from a couple other firms that also want to meet with me... I'm pretty shocked at the response I've gotten. I've sent out 24 resumes and have gotten 5 callbacks so far... In 2004, I got about the same number of callbacks after sending out over a hundred resumes. What a difference three years makes.

Regarding evangelicalbunny, I can't figure out if he/she is really sincere, or is just yanking our chains. EB is a caricature of the loony Christian right in sort of a Steven Colbert way, but there are plenty of Christian nutters out there who make even a caricature look plausible. I self-identify as Christian (although my actual theology is more agnostic than anything else -- luckily I can say that without being excommunicated from the Episcopal Church), but Christian evangelicals make me want to abandon the idea of religion altogether. I feel bad for those who have suffered spiritual and psychological abuse at the hand of these self-appointed Pharisees. A curse on all their houses.

Jul 12, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

someone's pumping CAD, am I reading the caps correctly??

Jul 12, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

ARCHIE...SO CORRECT..STACKED UP WORK TRYING TO GET OUT THE DOOR AND YOUR MY ONLY CONNECTION TO THE WORLD....AND DAMN..I'M THE OWNER.

Jul 12, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

i don't mind EB. is clearly a joke. if not then who cares? don't have to read the posts.

oana is at REX now, check out their new website where her name sits amongst the other luminaries. don't think i would like to work amongst so much blue insulation models myself, but it is very cool nonetheless.

Jul 12, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i haven't built a model in ten years and don't miss it one bit.

Jul 12, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

COMPUTER MANDATED SHUTDOWN....NIGHT ALL!

Jul 12, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

LiG - I so understand about that evangelical madness those with similar basic beliefs. And it seems we share the same about models = good practice. Unfortunately my present working environment (last 5 yrs) has been sans models not because we don't want to but simply because we can't get any materials (poor excuse I know). Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to change that soon. We'll see what unfurls.

Jul 12, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Jul 12, 07 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jul 12, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

the eagle has lasers coming out of its eyes - sweet!!

Jul 12, 07 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

record high Bike Commuter Index in West LA today: 20(bikers)/11(miles)

Jul 12, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I like EB- nobody else asks random archinecteurs to make out with such passion or wit... so EB comeback, we need more love around here!

Jul 12, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

its funny with all the bicycle madness floating around archinect that no one has talked about this.

warning not for office viewing

Jul 12, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

rationalist, is that using your scale or is there an official one I don't know about? Or is your scale the official scale now?

Jul 12, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

architechno> "Less gas, more ass" :o)

Jul 12, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

I've always said that for America, the slogan should "Less gas, LESS ass!" as most of us need to lose a little of our padding.

And yes, WonderK, my scale is now the scale.

Jul 12, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 

the story about the SS Indianapolis is apparently going to be the opener for Discovery Channel's Shark Week

Jul 12, 07 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Yeah, I like EB, too. What to Do, do you realize that it's a joke? He's making fun of evangelical types... the "bunny" is a big clue to that. Don't take it seriously! The only archinector that will try to convert you is per correll, and you have nothing to fear from him either. :)

As for those Sketchers, rationalista--I have a very similar pair! With sparkles on them. I love them too, but like Strawbeary, I'm close to chucking them because literally by day 3 of wearing them they REAKED. And my feet don't even sweat. I have not a single other pair of shoes that smells, including my beat up old gym shoes and my running shoes. Not ONE other! They smell so bad I literally can't get into a closed car with someone while wearing them--even while they're on my feet. I can no longer wear them to work, either, because they bother my nose all day (and probably my coworkers'.) Therefore I can only wear them specifically to walk around all day, and that happens rarely enough that I'm considering junking them, sadly.

Jul 13, 07 12:52 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i'm sorry if i offended you all...but I AM EVANGELICAL BUNNY.

Jul 13, 07 1:30 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i also happen to be you, me, jesus, jehova, gandhi, yahweh, rem, frank, rich and everyone you've ever known, and everyone they've ever known.

i am the world.

i am kentucky.

i am peru and madagascar, the thunder and rain and the smiling clown who's frowning on the inside.

i am a passenger and the conductor.

i am terrified and elated, pained and overjoyed.

i am international orange, and the peat smoke of orkney and highland park.

i am expectant and late.

i am punctual and overdressed.

i am larger than life.

i am life.

i am ass, gas or grass.

i am.........

mightylittle™

Jul 13, 07 1:37 am  · 
 · 
KEG

myriam...I thought it was a joke, which is why I said "I know you are but what am I" after his/her rant. Then people started looking for EB's alter ego and I was offended to even be considered. On Archinect, I read so much about peoples lives that I kinda feel familiar with them, subsequently forgetting that I really don't know anyone on here- nor do they know me. You guys have an interesting group here and I have learned a lot. However, as it was pointed out earlier, I just haven't been around long enough/ don't have enough posts. Oh well, I still like reading about your schools and jobs and bikes and cars and shoes...

Jul 13, 07 2:32 am  · 
 · 

my partner make models all the time. we even bought a foam melter/cutter thing. i don't enjoy making them myself ,though i do see their value. we couldn't design without them sometimes. but we do't pretend they mean anything...

Jul 13, 07 2:48 am  · 
 · 

pssst. vado's next post is 8000.

Jul 13, 07 7:28 am  · 
 · 

mighty - I love the confession; well written and worthy to be on the next archinect t-shirts (right after we get copyright on the garwondler)

congratulations mr.vado 8k is nothing to sneeze about. Worse that at least 1000 of them are smart youbtube references, and another 1000 are redubbed song lyrics. You rock! Today is your day mr. 8K

Jul 13, 07 8:21 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow. I feel like just yesterday he hit 7000. He's getting so big these days! Aw. Our little vado is growing up....

:o)

For those of you actually paying attention in this marathon called Thread Central, my work problem of a few days ago has been resolved. They did indeed find someone else to travel in my place and it was a guy who has been doing this for a long time. So while they got off my back, they aren't quite making progress. In two weeks, it will not be my problem anymore. C'est la vie.

Jul 13, 07 8:51 am  · 
 · 
Jul 13, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
aml

congrats in advance vado and thanks for the manolos!

Jul 13, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
mdler

there is something very scary about the above picture

Jul 13, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: