Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Living in Gin

The job interview went very well, I think... Nice people, good projects, cool office, they seem competent and professional, they liked my work, and they didn't burst out laughing when we got to the dreaded salary negotiation portion of the meeting. I managed not to fart or make any inappropriate comments about politics or religion, and I even managed not to badmouth my former employers (that took some effort). I have the feeling they'll make an offer, and I should be hearing back from them next week.

So I leave their office feeling pretty confident, and before getting back on the subway I stop into a hotel along the way to use the restroom. There, to my horror, I discover that while the zipper on my fly was up, the zipper itself had somehow come apart, effectively leaving my fly open during the entire interview (not to mention on the subway ride down and the walk to/from the office). This is a brand-new suit, and the first time I've worn these pants outside of a dressing room.

So now I get to make an unplanned trip down to Lord & Taylor to have them fix this thing before I have any more wardrobe malfunctions during subsequent job interviews next week.

Jul 13, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 

oh my goodness Gin! Well, if they noticed, at least they were very professional about it...

I had one similar once. I used to own a couple pairs of very nice silk slacks, but the position my body was required to get into to enter my very low-slung ford thunderbird was apparently not so compatible. I had already ripped the ass-seam of one pair despite them actually having a little extra room throughout by getting into that car akwardly, but wore the other to an interview. The place wasn't great so no biggie, but when I got back home I discovered the ass-seam had ripped on that pair as well. No clue whether it happened before or after the interview, but I never got an offer from that firm.

Jul 13, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

LOL! I'm cracking up, Gin. I'm sorry but that was really funny. Especially the part about you managing not to fart.

I actually ripped the ass-seam on a skirt once....yes, I know, that takes talent. Hold your applause.

~~~~~

Going to Chicago this weekend! myriam I will call you if I think we actually have room to pick up those boxes from you. I doubt that we will, but we'll see.

Jul 13, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

So a question for nectors moving to new cities and finding jobs fairly quickly it seems, How did you do it? Mass resume emails and mailing , answering job postings?

Jul 13, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 

I didn't get to share but my new director whispered good news to me the other day. It turns out that the company offering the job that I applied to has made inquiries about me. It gets better. That although about 60 people applied, that I am one of three being offered an interview.

Who hoo!!

Jul 13, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Congrats Techno!

Jul 13, 07 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

And congrats Gin on all the possibilities!!

Jul 13, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

ok, so I am addicted to checking the view statistics on my portfolio (yes, coroflot tracks them all). And I've noticed that when I first put it up, I came up in a lot of searches where nobody bothered to view my work. Then, eventually, people started viewing my work, but still absolutely nobody looked at my profile to see things like whether I was currently looking for a job or what my background is. But now, for each search, the average person looks at two projects and at least a quarter of them look at my profile and nearly all of them look at my 'home' page with all the thumbnails on it. Now I never took statistics in college, but that would suggest to me that the work I'm putting up is getting better, right?

Jul 13, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
AP

LiG, I like those K-Cole shoes...they probably didn't even notice your fly...mesmerized as the surely were by your snazzy new kicks...

Jul 13, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Back from Lord & Taylor, where they graciously replaced the problem zipper in less than an hour, no questions asked. Good karma for them.

Jul 13, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow, good for Lord and Taylor!

And yay for architechno's new job possibility!

It's too beautiful outside today for pumping cad - I want to go play!

Jul 13, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

our office is having a beer pa... - i mean pool party - this afternoon.

Jul 13, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

tumbles - how are those things to ride? fun?

there's a kid in my neighborhood that i've seen riding one...

Jul 13, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Okay

I got the telephone call formally inviting to the interview. Then they start asking me a bunch of questions about the projects I have worked on, and with whom etc. So I ask them if they'd like my reference list and flat out tell me no. WTF? Anyway that lasted like 45 minutes, and to be honest i was breaking a sweat.

The lead guy called me back like 20 minutes later and apologised, explaining what the request really was for. It slowed down the heart but...

and now I realize that the haven't actually told me when the interview is

Jul 13, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

a-

don't give out references till after the first round of interviews, and even hold out till the formally ask for them... this way you can give the folks a heads up and tell them what your impressions of what the firm is looking for in interviewing you.

guess you got a 'phoned' interview... hope this wasn't your top choice. you may not hear back... that may be for the best since they don't seem very professional.

Jul 13, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

well i've been shortlisted - and the telephone call was to inform me of that - now I have to find somewhere on this blessed island to print my portfolio specific to urban regeneration...bah (fun times)

Jul 13, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jul 13, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay for 8K!!!

Jul 13, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

is that the yankee clipper on the left side there? if not, it sure is his doppelganger!

Jul 13, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

the guy to the left kinda looks like youthful vado, ahh but he still has his boyish charm 8000 posts later. Unimaginable....you're next liberty b

Jul 13, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP
for tumbles and Winka

Toyo [Ito] the dog, in the office today helping us build a model...

Jul 13, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

architechno, thanks to this pregnancy thread I'll probably surpass vado's post count in the next week!

Jul 13, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

LIG......had a Janet Jackson moment!

Jul 13, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Is God a Taoist?

random finds after chatting with a former grad school classmate whose apparently not busy enough with private practice

Jul 13, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

AP is Toyo wearing leggings??

Jul 13, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

...boyfriend tried to be nice and put parts on my car (so we can SELL IT! YAY!).... not only would it not start, the windows and lights wouldn't even work this time. It's not a bad car, I swear, I'm just a bad car owner. I am obviously mentally checked out of the relationship already.

Jul 13, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Toyo (he) is wearing a pink t-shirt, and some odd doggy shorts:

Jul 13, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 

tumbles, I meant the relationship with the car, not the relationship with the boy. Car goes to highest bidder, no question. Boy will be more difficult to let go of.

AP- you might want to reconsider pictures of dogs humping things given the other topics on this site today. = (

Jul 13, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yes i'm still alive...i'm just not even going to petend to be able to keep up with the rapid fire posting of thread central...

Jul 13, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

Toyo has a funky reflection (a blad man with a marine flying eagle tattoo)

Jul 13, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
I got an offer!

...And a pretty generous one at that: $17k more than I was making at my old job in Chicago. Apparently they either didn't notice the open fly or didn't mind.

I haven't accepted it yet, but I'm 99% sure that I will... In the meantime, I think I'll go out for a celebratory meal and a couple drinks.

Jul 13, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 

great news LiG :: congratulations!!

Jul 13, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

congratulations LiG...

AP, so the boy dog is wearing a pink shirt... is the bald guy wearing any pants???

Jul 13, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

congrats, gin! that seemed fast, you just having moved and all.

i'm sorry but those dogs are not at all attractive.

Jul 13, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ha! he's got pants on, they're just a khaki-ish skin color...and ya, toyo the boy dog wears a pink t-shirt. and he's not humping anything...give me a break...he has no issues with his masculinity nor sexuality...

alright, night all...going out for celebratory drinks with LiG!

Jul 13, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

FYI, after sleeping on it, I've decided to accept the job offer. I'd be crazy not to. I'll be working part-time while in the Columbia summer program, and then full-time once the program is over in a couple weeks.

Move to NYC.... Check.
Enroll in Columbia summer program.... Check.
Get a job.... Check.

That was the easy stuff. Now I need to permanent housing in NYC.

Jul 14, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Hey, Mdlers been helping out on the thread too. His yoga expertise has helped my help issues.

YAY!!!!

Oh, and Happy Saturday!

Jul 14, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

mdler is one of the most helpful posters around here. people just seem to see his trunk only.

Jul 14, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

That just kicks so much ass Gin. After that whole grad school app fiasco, I was really rooting for you and am glad that you're making it out there in the big apple.

Jul 14, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

gin- NYC housing is the toughest part... choose saving $$$ or location, pick one.

Jul 14, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

It's ok to just ignore a roomate contact, right? I think I've just been propositioned, and suspect that ignoring the guy would be kinder than anything I have the urge to say.

Jul 14, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

hello and g'night TC; I'll catch up with you all tomorrow

sad how you spend a day away and something feels like its missing from your life.

Jul 15, 07 1:14 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

For the record, larslarson has the coolest loft in the universe.

I'm drunk, and I'm going to bed.... Nite all.

Jul 15, 07 4:15 am  · 
 · 

it is kind of hot and humid in la. almost mid summer and i haven't been to the beach which is about a 1.5 mile away. as a matter of fact i haven't been to the beach for the last 3-4 years and only few times before that up until 10 years range. i stop going there because of the crowds in every possible place consuming and consuming. beach became a shopping mall. venice beach is a dirty fuckin' water. you sometimes see condoms floating and water is murky.
i am going to go to my office for couple of hours and put some finishing touches on something i need to send out tomorrow.

tomorrow night i have two gift tickets for dodgers game with phillies. great seats. i don't know much about the finer points about baseball game but i have invited an artist friend of mine to go with me, who knows about the finer strategic points of the game. tina was interested at first but flaked out later. she doesn't know a jack about the game either but was interested in hot dog dinner.
i am not a dodger fan but hey they are our city team so they get my support. i am also looking forward to dodger dogs and i hope to catch a baseball if somebody hits a home run. go orhan go.

Jul 15, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Hmmm there is something about having dinner at a sporting event or the movies. I've always been a big fan of nachos served at the cinema - they taste extra scrummy. Good luck at the game Orhan, here's hoping the fly ball comese your way!!

Jul 15, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

so, roomate/housing search has so far yielded the following results:

*cheap, tiny room in carpeted (ewww) house, rented by someone who's currently in another country but said she'd pass my contact info on to current roomate so that we can set something up.... yeah, right, I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. In fact, if the current roomate actually calls me to set something up, I may just have a heart attack.

*expensive room in great location, but proprietor seems strangely reluctant to provide concrete information, such as the size of the room, or pictures that show anything more informative than flowers in the yard. *rolls eyes* You vote: scam, or dipshit landlord?

*offer to share a man's one bedroom apartment with him for free.

*a room with a really nice sounding lady that operates her own letterpress and book bindery.... in a completely different section of town than I'd like to live. Oh, and it's on the top of a big hill, which the owner specifically mentions is big enough to mean that people living there really need to have a car. Actually sad to turn this down, because I've been wanting to learn letterpress and she sounds nice, but functionally I just don't know how it could work.

*one other grad student who's interested in living together, but we haven't committed to anything because it seems easier to find single rooms than apartments from long distance, and she's in Kansas.

*and FINALLY just today, a couple of grad students in other disciplines who sound extremely normal, in the area of town I want to live in. Halle-fucking-lujah!

Jul 15, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

so you aren't interested in living in the one bedroom with the guy? Funny I thought it was going to come with a description of him like he has shag carpeting, a mullet and spoilt cheese collection

Jul 15, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

no, but it did come with a link to his myspace profile, which hardly had any info at all.

Jul 15, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just had a really fun and nice conversation with myriam, followed by a really nice though frustrating (Indy's problems, more on that later) conversation with vado. Yay for internet friends.

Jul 15, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Liberty B, you've indirectly raised a point that needs to be touched. At some point I'm going to need to have verbal conversations with some of you and the voice in my head that I've attached to you all may come into question.

for example; and purely based on her level headedness, and wisdom and spot-on-ness for all things matural I have this calm and endearing voice (without a trace of an accent) from you LB

Jul 15, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: