Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

I have dibs on being first one in that tumbly contraption

too suggestive, no?

Jun 20, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I'm jealous so tumbles....it sounds so sick!!!

and there's me, with my tiny little studio in Philly :(

one day...I'll have a loft.

Jun 20, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

oooh...

Jun 20, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

tumble_for_ya...
any reason you want to make these out of steel? probably would
make it stronger/lighter...but drillin into these things is gonna be
a bit of bitch no? i assume you know someone that can weld...
or you weld? i forget. but aren't ya gonna need to do all the
intermediate framing anyway?..or are you planning on the osb
spanning four feet on the floor? maybe two layers?

glass doors = classy.

tk.
definitely seen those boxes you're describing..that just got
published again did it not?

Jun 20, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I can weld!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 20, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

...me weld tube...

going out for drinks does not equal opening up an office...
i would agree with your assertion if you were to claim that LA
would be the site of the first archinect bar..

Jun 20, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles,

if you and I worked there, it would be very busy...nooner, anyone?

Jun 20, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i can see it now...

'Toy Loft Building burns down after drunk welding architect sets himself on fire'

Jun 20, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Jun 20, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles

first you steal my heart...then a baby jesus????

Jun 20, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
pebble
Jun 20, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

in honour of the post page (112)

Jun 20, 07 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

anyone who's interested, check this out...

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=local&id=5407246

it's an oakland hills 2 alarm fire that's burning right on the other side of the hill from my office.

the live feed is coming from a chopper that's been distracting me with it's alarmist mentality for the last two hours.

no wonder i'm not getting this damn written spec done...all i can smell is burning grass and eucalyptus!

i think (hope) they've got it under control.

Jun 20, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

so are you in your office mighty? Uhmmm fire!!

Jun 20, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

"Hi honey, I'm home!" So tired of planes.....

mighty, beware that eucalyptus! that stuff likes to burn.

What was with the little "MySpacian" survey that everybody did on page 111? I know I'm late to the party but I'll throw mine in, only for you guys though....

man - no (accepting applications)
kids - no
dog - no
cat - yes
cell phone - yes
computer - yes
cable - yes
dvd - yes
tv - yes
ipod - yes
car - yes (soon to be no!)
bike - no (soon to be yes!)
job - yes (ha, soon to be no!)

So, how was everyone's day?

Jun 20, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 

sh@t can't find a pen to fill out the applicaiton...bah, never have a pen when you need one. WK is it okay to write in pencil?

Jun 20, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

So, I have been missing in action for a while, though I am sure no one missed me. I wanted to use this thread to rant for a second about how tired I am of mdler (and tumbleweed a little too). He is the reason I stopped posting, and for a long time even looking at this site and then I heard he almost got axed. Yet he continues to use this site as his personal fraternity house. I think that it was his little battle with vado in the "which archinector you would like to meet next" (which I am not sure if its a game or not, but still) that made me snap. You and tumbles should get a room and you should follow vado's advice on that thread.

Not that anyone cares but needed to say that, now return to your regularly scheduled hilarity.

Jun 20, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I agree... His schtick is getting old.

Jun 20, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

architechno, for you I will accept multiple media types!!!

What about mdler's "schtick" is bothering you? I kinda thought that was a fun thread but then again I like meeting people. Am I missing something?

Jun 20, 07 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

It's less about that particular thread than about his conduct in general, over multiple threads. While I like mdler and usually find him funny, he seems to get his kicks by stepping over the line as often as he can get away with.

Jun 20, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

In other news, one of our project managers at the office turned in his resignation notice today. He's one of the good guys, and is the last management-level person at the firm I can even tolerate being in the same room with. He's a good designer, gets along well with the staff, and knows his shit pretty well... Which means his tenure at the firm was a miserable life of constant frustration. He'll be off to a better place soon, and it looks like I'm making my escape to a better place just in time.

Jun 21, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

what i find tiring about midler is that he hasn't seemed to have changed
at all...almost got booted, but just seems to post the same way he did
before..i guess some people are needed for comic relief though...

i feel as though tumbleweed has tried quite a bit though..

Jun 21, 07 1:43 am  · 
 · 
KEG

I agree lars/LiG...mdler seems to sabotage threads just to be obtrusive...argument for arguments sake. Though tumbles obviously participates in an attempt to appease him, at least she positively contributes to the threads topic and has obviously toned it down since the inception of the
vote.

A whole-hearted proponent of free speech, I am conflicted at the thought of "banning" anyone. However, it seems quite a few of us are quite fedup and sick of the button-pushing. The beauty of free enterprise is that archinect gets the ultimate vote.

Jun 21, 07 2:10 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

I agree with WTD too, I believe in Free Speech, and before a few months ago mdler seemed like a smart rational individual, so I am conflicted. Is just that now he acts like the obnoxious middle school class clown that needs to be heard no matter what. I think he has really changed the tune of archinect (for the worse) and ruin the quality of conversation in the site for a lot of us in the process.

WK I said that negative vibe with vado in that thread, not the thread itself.

Jun 21, 07 6:30 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Enough about mdler.

Tumbles:

Have you thought of putting operable louvers/windows that hinge from the top like at camp (can't remember the terminology)? Cross ventilation is how you would keep cool in those things, and maybe some vents in the floor to allow air to flow up through them. I am assuming they won't have AC pumped into them, so look at how they would ventilate something in say Louisiana, I think that would be your best bet.

Jun 21, 07 9:12 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

sarah.

when you mention that idea i think of glen murcutt's houses..
(i believe the term is casement..at least for the windows.)

[img]http://static.flickr.com/77/177484507_553540f869_o.jpg[width=418 /img]

Jun 21, 07 9:29 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

Jun 21, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well I've never seen them able to open a full 90 degrees, but let me look it up...

Nope, its an Awning window, the oposite of which is Hopper. But the casement window was right above them in the Ching book, so I could see the confusion. They should really make that clearer.

Jun 21, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

My "Architecture Sucks" t-shirt arrived in the mail yesterday. I think I might wear it to work on my last day... Which is now only 7 business days away.

Jun 21, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

missed the 90 degree part...never really thought of casement windows
not being able to open up 90 degrees, but now that you mention it
you're right...although we had windows in my parent's basement that
opened up 90 degrees..guess they were awning windows?

Jun 21, 07 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Awning windows hinge at the top, and casements hinge at the side, regardless of the opening angle. My current apartment has casement windows that can open to a full 90 degrees, but sometimes they're a pain to close when they're open that far.

Jun 21, 07 10:05 am  · 
 · 
AP

awning hinges at top
hopper at the bottom
casement from the sides...

Jun 21, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
AP

LiG beat me to it...

Jun 21, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

yeah yeah we know that now.

I hope Tumbles doesnt mind that we are designing her boxes for her. Guess thats what happens when you put a bunch of architects in a room.

Jun 21, 07 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Lars, I grew my pair.

And of course it was no big deal. Sometimes I forget that I'm now in professional environment and won't catch hell, if I don't turn in vacation requests "exactly three weeks prior" as in previous occupations.

And I have confrontation issues.

Jun 21, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

leave it to archinect to give me info about something i haven't ever
really thought about...but makes sense.

and sarah..what do you expect when you bring up an idea to a
bunch of architects..basically beggin for a redesign.

Jun 21, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

hys

i totally understand..i'm the same way...our profession cultivates a
fear of vacation and asking for it for some reason. my current
employer is great about time off and granting requests.

former employers..not so much. i used to work at a small id firm...
no two employees were allowed to have a day of overlapping vacation..
so you had to schedule your vacations months in advance...i found out
my aunt was literally dieing from cancer and told them that i needed
a week to travel to norway to see her one last time...they argued with
me about giving me the time off. i told them that i'd be willing to
give them my two weeks notice whenever they wanted it if they didn't
let me go. (and basically led me to finally quitting)... i went and she
died the last day i was there. i would never have forgiven myself if
i hadn't gone.

an extreme example..but sometimes our profession needs to take a
back seat to our personal lives.

Jun 21, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Those casement windows which open to a full ninety degrees most likely have the window egress hardware installed on them.

Jun 21, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

This profession, really ANYONE's profession, should never interfere with our real lives. I just spent a couple of weeks with some clients whose lines between work and life are totally blurred. They are glued to their Blackberrys, they answer them in the middle of meals, and even in the middle of sentences.......and they don't have personal lives that don't overlap with their coworkers. Literally one dude spent more time on the road with his coworkers than at home with his family, and seemed fine with this. It was mind-boggling. I can't ever imagine becoming like this.

I love architecture, and I can see myself creating a business, and really loving what I do so much that I want to involve family and friends on some level....but not to the point where it becomes a detriment to my mental health or well-being.

Jun 21, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 

Can someone remind me who this waterhouse guy is? He creeped me out in the archi-crush thread. He's just being silly, right?

Jun 21, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yes, he's just being silly. He was teasing that he was stalking you. He's not really. I mean, I don't think.

Jun 21, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You can have austere louvers, tumbles.

~~~~~

Also, I am totally out of the loop on this waterhouse person. Were there mean comments made somewhere? They live here in Ohio? I only have a couple alter-egos, and that is definitely not one of them. It always cracks me up when someone does screenname sleuthing, BTW. Of course I've done it before too. PS. let's not talk about my alters anymore, they've caused enough mischief already.

Jun 21, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm kind of late on this bandwagon:

Relationship - Yes. Been together for a few years and 100% mutually smitten.

Kids - No.

Dog - No, not that kind of girl.

Cat - No, not that kind of girl.

Cell phone - Yes. Sprint.

Computer - Yes. Two. Dell and Apple. The Apple just died a few weeks ago and I have not mustered up the strength to take it to my local Genius Bar for repairs.

Cable - Yes. Internet only.

DVD - On my computer. Currently rewatching the entire Six Feet Under series with intermittent spurts of Wet, Hot American Summer.

TV - I don't own one, nor do I intend to.

iPod - Yes. White.

Car - Yes. Silver.

Bike - Yes. Red.

Job - Yes. Two. Full-time for a firm and part-time doing residential work. I don't sleep much.

Jun 21, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

I had literally never noticed waterhouse until last night. I get creeped out by that stuff a little easily because I've actually had a stalker before and felt totally powerless. Well, part of that was because I was as small as I've ever been at the time, so was feeling pretty wimpy, and he was a huuuuge guy, like 2.5 times my size.

Jun 21, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Tumbles,

I think that if you went witht he awning windows, they could actually be clad in the chalk or panel lite stuff, so when closed, they disapeared, but when open, they would look like little pop outs, give depth to the object, and let in air. If you are adament about keeping the sides intact, then go with floor and ceiling vents of some sort. What if you used a breathable material on the sides, like a metal mesh, or even cloth of some sort? Incorporate it into a pattern, maybe like horizontal bands of chalk board, and perforated metal. I dont know. Sounds like we need a charette.

Jun 21, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

n_......Wet Hot American Summer is one of the funniest movies I think I've ever seen. And I had no idea it existed until a few months ago.

Unfortunately, I accidentally saw the last two episodes of Six Feet Under in syndication, so I guess I don't really need to watch the rest of them.

Jun 21, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I judge people on whether they like that movie or not. It's a deal breaker for me because I think it's brilliant. I mean, it's a movie about a Jewish summer camp circa 1982. Brilliant.

DubK - Not to worry, you're in for good.

Jun 21, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

that film did NOT make the AFI top 100 movies!

Jun 21, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

what the hell:
woman -yes
kids - no
dog - no
cat - no
cell phone - yes
computer - yes
cable - no
dvd - no
tv - no
ipod - only used as recording device
car - no
bike - yes
job - yes + other gigs (paid and unpaid), it's nebulous

Jun 21, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Okay, I'll bite:

woman - No, but I'm taking applications.
kids - No
dog - No
cat - Yes
cell phone - Yes
computer - Yes
cable - Yes
dvd - Yes
tv - Yes
ipod - Yes
car - Yes, for a little while longer
bike - No
job - Yes, for another 6.5 business days

Jun 21, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: