Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

curtkram

grats tintt.  hope it's not too early to say grats.

Oct 20, 16 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Go Vandals! That project was a design-build studio right? Glad to see the school finally getting something like that put together if it was.

I'll second visiting N. Idaho as well.
Oct 20, 16 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks curt. 3 down, 2 to go. It's a loophole in the transition to only have to take 5 tests. They are practically giving it away. I think I finally made a good decision. ;)

Oct 20, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
tintt, if you're doing the 3+2 transition, how were you able to schedule your next exam? I didn't think they had it available until after the launch of 5.0 on Nov. 1.
Oct 20, 16 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have a retake.

Oct 20, 16 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ah, sorry about that then. I was worried I missed something. I'm doing the 3+2 thing as well.

I'm anticipating it will take a while to get the first 600 out of the way and get the cut score set due to scheduling issues. If I can manage to schedule either PPD or PDD before January, I'll consider myself lucky.
Oct 20, 16 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I didn't anticipate scheduling issues and originally was hoping to finish all by the end of the year. Are you done with the 3 in 4.0?

Oct 20, 16 10:23 pm  · 
 · 

That warming hut is excellent.

Oct 20, 16 11:31 pm  · 
 · 

Dig that hut. Hi TC!

Regarding US presidential debates I couldn't bring myself to watch first two, but couldn't turn away from the last. Well at least some/most of it.

Anyone else ready for a vacation? Been thinking Taos? Or maybe Mesa Verde? Just got to get through next weeks product launch.

Oct 21, 16 1:09 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

If you're thinking Mesa Verde, I would highly recommend Chaco Canyon... just don't get lost on highway 666!!!!

Oct 21, 16 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

On another note... I thought I'd be all proactive and shit and buy Halloween candy in advance of the coming spook fest. I bought one good bag with Kit Kats and twizzlers and good stuff and another cheap filler bag with tootsie rolls and dum dums. To be even more proactive I busted out a huge mixing bowl and mixed both bags together to be ready for Halloween. Accolaides from the wife on this masterpiece of proactivity? No... she complained that the premixed bags I bought give the kit kats the taste of strawberry twizzlers. Of course I denied this and said she was wrong.. but dammit she's right. I hate it when she's right and I hate it even more when my Kit Kats taste like strawberry twizzlers!!!! 

Oct 21, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

@wurdan, Oh yeah, Chaco Canyon great call!

Oct 21, 16 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

I had already passed CDS and PPP last year, and I passed SPD in August. Originally I wasn't planning on doing the transition as the plan was to be done and licensed by now. However, I put off the tests because of the holidays last year and didn't get back to it until the discussion here made realize I had lost sight of my goal and testing schedule. Then, after getting SPD done and looking ahead, it was too much to resist doing the transition. For me and my situation the benefits outweighed the potential negatives. Otherwise, I would just stick it out in 4.0. 

Oct 21, 16 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I was at Chaco for the meteor shower in August. Take your sky map books if you have any. There's Bandelier too. And the Valles Caldera and Jemez Springs. 

wurdan, you are in Colorado now. You are supposed to give out seeds, bags of herbal tea, and sustainable organic pencils on Halloween. 

Oct 21, 16 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, I thought about giving out Welch's Fruit Snacks only. But I thought that would disappoint the kids. Then I thought about ONLY giving out Skittles, since their PR response to the Trump Jr thing was so good. Then I ended up just buying the biggest, cheapest good quality mixed bags I could find.

wurdan I don't dare open the bags before Halloween because if I did I would eat them all. But I think your wife's disappointment is misplaced: the kids get their candy all mixed together in one big bag anyway - *everything* in there tastes like cherry Twizzlers by the end of the night!

Oct 21, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

"you are in Colorado now. You are supposed to give out seeds, bags of herbal tea, and sustainable organic pencils on Halloween. " 

Ha!  I almost forgot. It's amazing... soon as I crossed the Colorado border the cops pulled me over and gave me a dog and an oz of weed!

Much nicer than those scary signs you see leaving Colorado!!!

For the record... I don't even partake and I don't care if you do.. but once you hit kansas or nebraska, those signs keep coming and man do they freak you out. It's like the Wal Drug experience on paranoia!

@ Donna - I made the huge mistake of opening the bags almost on purpose... I keep testing the kit kats to see if each one tastes like strawberry or if it was just an anomaly... I can report that yes... each one continues to taste like strawberry and yes... I'll probably have to go buy more candy :)

Oct 21, 16 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

what did Joe Walsh sing - the Rocky Mountain way is better than the way we had.

Oct 21, 16 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've never seen those signs, wurdan. There is a federal checkpoint in the highway at Los Alamos that is permanent, but they aren't looking for drugs.

Oct 22, 16 9:10 am  · 
 · 
situationist
I think that checkpoint is set up specifically for a man named "Godot."
Oct 22, 16 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

When you google "lazy zombie costumes" and find Brad Pitt in World War Z...oh yes.

Oct 22, 16 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I want to dress up as Katy Perry's left shark this year, what's everyone else going as?

Oct 24, 16 4:22 am  · 
 · 

Laugh all you want, or think I'm a hopeless loser, but I spent some time last night determining UL designations for one-hour fire walls and I was giddy with with delight. Dammit I seriously want to quit my job and go back into real practice! When you design an idea then get all the pieces to fit together both conceptually and functionally and per code and constructability...it feels good. Really, really good. Sigh.

Oct 24, 16 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Katy Perry.
Oct 24, 16 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, I've been arguing over fire-stopping details for weeks with one contractor on a large job. I've cycled through hundreds if cUL/ULC (canadian equivalent) assemblies. 

Oct 24, 16 8:42 am  · 
 · 

Happy Monday! Here's where I went on Saturday:

Oct 24, 16 10:20 am  · 
 · 

I'm literally listening to Office Space on my headphones while I CADmonkey today. Outlook is stormy.

Oct 24, 16 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

is that.... is that snow I see?

Oct 24, 16 11:09 am  · 
 · 

Anyone else notice the guy through the trees in Donna's pic above?

Oct 24, 16 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Everyday, that's an amazing young wild child, younger brother of my son's friend. He's super cool.

Oct 24, 16 11:57 am  · 
 · 

NS: Yep, there's snow up around 5000 feet in the Cascades right now, and it's creeping lower. The Sunrise area of Mt. Rainier and the Artist Point area of Mt. Baker have already been closed for the winter, and I expect more closures within the next couple weeks.

The Pacific Northwest is the best of both worlds: it rarely snows in the cities near sea level, so no trudging to the bus stop in slush or shoveling driveways, but travel just a few thousand feet up into the mountains and it's a winter wonderland.

Oct 24, 16 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gotcha David.  I remember driving through wash state some years ago and within the length of one gas tank we saw snow to desert. Love it and I'd like to go back.

I'm not expecting snow for at least another 2 weeks but I'm putting on the winter tires this week just in case.

Oct 24, 16 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Opening weekend at A-Basin ski area was this week in Colorado... Snow tires are mounted.  Meanwhile, it was almost 80 here in town and I'm still waiting for all my leaves to fall so I can rake.  

Oct 24, 16 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if you're still reading UL, why pick u466 over u420?  i posted that back in september, and it still kind of bugs me.  there's got to be some advantage to the extra layer of sheet rock?

Oct 24, 16 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
You know curt, looking at those two assemblies, their essentially the same thing, I suspect it had to with the stud manufacturer. It seems that is the only substantive difference.
Oct 25, 16 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

“There isn’t exactly such a thing as a drug checkpoint. In City of Indianapolis v. Edmond, the Supreme Court found random drug checkpoints unconstitutional in 2000. Since then, police (particularly in the mid-west) have gotten into the habit of putting signs up warning drivers of upcoming drug checkpoints and then detaining and searching drivers who make illegal u-turns or desperately fling contraband from their vehicles. These checkpoint-like fake checkpoints serve as the functional equivalent of a checkpoint without violating the Court’s prohibition against checkpoints."

Oct 25, 16 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Is that for real, Volunteer?! Jeez. Why are people such jerks. I mean, one shouldn't be driving under the influence but way to instill useless panic in a population.

Oct 25, 16 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

Glad I now live in a state where recreational pot is legal. I rarely partake in it myself, but it's nice to know my taxes aren't paying for checkpoints and sting operations that amount to a de facto police state for people of color.

Oct 25, 16 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
This year I'm going to dress up as an elite arch school star professor and brutally critique each costume that shows up at my door. The treat is that they were graced by presence.
Oct 25, 16 11:10 pm  · 
 · 

situationist that is a BRILLIANT idea and it perfectly suits your screen name.

Question: If you say to your boss "I feel like I've been completely sidelined out of every decision related to this" and their answer is "No you haven't been sidelined, I've/you've just been really busy" do you believe them, or not?

Oct 26, 16 9:26 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Situationist, what does that look like? All black, ill fitting clothing and badly framed glasses that pop from your face?

Oct 26, 16 9:38 am  · 
 · 

...and bitter, bitter and sallow.  Quick to laugh but without any real mirth. Kind of like a Death costume, in other words, but without the scythe.

Oct 26, 16 9:45 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

"No you haven't been sidelined, I've/you've just been really busy" do you believe them, or not?

No, I don't believe them.  This either was or wasn't the way we did things before.

"Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean someone's not out to get me."

Oct 26, 16 10:14 am  · 
 · 

situationist, as will happen these days, your comment has been turned into a hashtag.

#CritiqueOrTreat

Oct 26, 16 11:27 am  · 
 · 
situationist
Archiwutm8: I curate my clothing to be dichotomous with my general air of contempt. To assume that I would wear "all black" is, quite frankly, rather pedestrian.
Oct 26, 16 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

situationist, your general air of contempt has apparently made all of TC sulk away in terror!

I've been charetting all week, personally. I see the light by the end of the day today, though.

Oct 28, 16 10:43 am  · 
 · 

It is just me, or does this post seem like someone made a sock puppet just to post it?

The post smells like another forum member who recently figured out that because of things they shared on the forum, their anonymous screen name was linked to them at school. This same member also recently said the following: "I will try to find a way to show my work without further identifying myself. Yes my partner has seen my posts on here but he is almost a non human to me so it is different."

Oct 28, 16 11:54 am  · 
 · 

That could easily be kozumelle. I don't read his/her posts because s/he is a contrarian. S/he doesn't strike me as someone looking for help, but as someone who likes to complain. Which is fine, that's part of what makes the forums fun: venting. But I don't need to read or respond to it.

That may just be me. I've entered a strong IDGAF phase recently, along with Obama.

Oct 28, 16 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

wtf...walk into a lobby near times square, Friday, and some old white dude leaning on an all stone lobby reception desk with winter ear muff hat on and looks like a bible in hand, telling the suit and tie black security guy - "..they wanted to destroy their seed...". hit the elevator button. white guy is reading Scripture and black guy humoring him "yeah, yeah, sure, sure..."....waiting...."they deleted all parts about the Nephelum"....where is my elevator?..... meet GC, correct him "client is Japanese not Chinese, come on man!"......ride back down and the black guy is rolling with this Jesus Alien conspiracy theory, he is telling the story with much surprise now - with the intermitant "have a good night ma'am....sir." as fancy office types leave to hit bars and have meaningless sex or go back home and watch TV in the 'burbs......."we are living in gray times" says white guy as I exit out the turnstile....have not done my timecard since Tuesday. fun week.

Oct 28, 16 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

New gig starts today... Wish me luck.

Nov 1, 16 9:24 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

We wish you duck.

Nov 1, 16 9:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: