Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

vado retro

I recently sent Donna a YouTube link to Foghat's Fool For the City...http://archinect.com/forum/thread/19731/worst-rock-song-ever

Sep 23, 16 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

OMG speaking over overacting I just watched the Love Is A Battlefield video, Pat Benatar. How freaking crazy and weird - I recognize every frame of that video from my 80s teenage years!

Sep 23, 16 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Sep 23, 16 8:00 pm  · 
 · 

I've always said my dream Halloween costume - that I'm going to do some day, I swear - is the pillow-covered guy from the She Drives Me Crazy video. But maybe Pat Benatar's green rag dress and eye shadow would be better.

Sep 23, 16 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
tduds

Balkindia.

Sep 24, 16 2:24 am  · 
 · 
gruen
It's baaaaaaccck.
Sep 24, 16 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

http://architizer.com/blog/trend-alert-cartoons-are-taking-over-architecture/

i know it's a two year old article, but i'm seeing more work from new grads featuring the bob somol cartoon style. 

thoughts? post post modernism? seems like another diversion from addressing the real issues in academia 

Sep 24, 16 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Pete and Re-Peat

Don't throw the pa-ast away
You might need it some rainy day
Dreams can come true again
When everything old is new again

Sep 24, 16 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
situationist

ivory - yes - a diversion, but there's also the fashion aspect of the profession too.  Maybe this will make its way into interiors.

Sep 25, 16 9:45 am  · 
 · 

Venturi's Precedents of Suburban symbols (from your article, ivorykeyboard) is one of the most important architectural drawings ever.

Has anyone done an architecture presentation in LOLcat meme form?

Sep 25, 16 10:03 am  · 
 · 
UIC is really kind of leading the way for this post-postmodernism. Formerly Jimenez Lai, now the likes of Central Standard Office, Sean Lally, CamesGibson, etc... all would fit into the post-postmodern. I think Chris Ware and Bjarke's co-opting of comic style have played into things as well.
Sep 25, 16 11:27 am  · 
 · 
situationist
citizen

^  One of the best films of the century.  Also, amazingly prescient.

Sep 26, 16 1:15 am  · 
 · 

So, anyone watching the debate tonight? I seriously cannot listen, especially to Drumpf, but really to any presidential debate. I'll follow on Twitter, then read some major newspapers' reviews tomorrow. Jeebus I'm scared.

Sep 26, 16 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I have to watch.  Like staring at a train wreck.  I can't look away.

It's like I go back and forth between thinking it's a funny Jerry springer show meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator, then I remember one of them will be the leader of the free world.  I suppose it's fitting that it's close to Halloween.

Sep 26, 16 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Monday NIght Football.  Have the debate on record, this way I can fastforward when it gets painful.

Sep 26, 16 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It's like choosing between getting shot in the groin or stabbed in the face...  depressing.

Sep 26, 16 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Where's Johnson? Bullshit

Sep 26, 16 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I enjoyed the debate. The bar was high for Hillary and she cleared it w ease. Trump was often incoherent.
Sep 27, 16 7:41 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

WWRE - world wide rhetoric entertainment. I had it on, kinda watched it.

Sep 27, 16 9:32 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Both sides will say they won.  

To me, both sounded terrible. It really saddens me that the American public couldn't be bothered to come out and vote in primaries.  And, that as a result, we're stuck with these two pathetic excuses for candidates. 

On the bright side, neither of them took the Obama approach of yelling everything for emphasis.  Good lord, I can't stand to hear that man give a speech. 

Sep 27, 16 10:19 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

That debate was horrible... I cant believe one of these idiots will be president... Hilary looked like a Devil with her evil smirk and red balloon outfit and I don't think Donald had a coherent sentence the entire debate. For what it's worth... his sniffling didn't bother me. Should probably look closely at both VPs as each candidate is getting up there in age.  Wouldn't be surprised if either one of them kicks the bucket while in office. Seriously... do i choose the iron maiden or elect to be drawn and quartered? Who's the libertarian candidate? Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?

Sep 27, 16 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

American election season is entertaining.

Sep 27, 16 11:02 am  · 
 · 
citizen

It sure is!

Sep 27, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Hilary looked like a Devil with her evil smirk and red balloon outfit and I don't think Donald had a coherent sentence the entire debate.

Way to compare what the woman looked like with what the man said.

Sep 27, 16 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

wurdan if you're seriously looking to VPs I can tell you from being one of Governor Pence's constituents (is that the right word for governor?) that he is resoundingly despised here in his home state, from both left and right.  He was well on the way to getting trounced by his Democratic opponent - in deep red Indiana! - when he was tapped to be VP which thankfully pulled him out of the race. People here dislike him because he never, ever listens to actual advisers, he only listens to crazy people who weasel in and advise him for their own personal gain. He's not a statesman, by any stretch, and sadly only became governor because we were in a similar situation of no one really liking either candidate so he won because not many people voted.

Sep 27, 16 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
proto

The bar was high for Hillary and she cleared it w ease. Trump was often incoherent.

I'm not sure the bar was high, per se, because it was Trump. BUT, she did do well and presented herself professionally and comfortably in the face of a man who spoke untruths more than truths. Laughing off his wild statements was way better than getting upset and offended by the blatant lying.

I'm really surprised Trump never broached the ACA or the Wall subjects. I did notice he tried early to Bernie her on being too elite. But she counterpunched well on experience (stamina!), taxes, and social issues (gender equality, racist birther, stop/search).

Sep 27, 16 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Addendum to my post above: what I've read of Tim Kaine he sounds like an actual statesman. A rarity these days, on either side.

Sep 27, 16 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

disappointed hillary didn't go for the jugular more often. i know she was advised not to appear "cold" "shrill" or "aggressive" but someone needs to put this sentient blob of cheeto dust in his place.

Sep 27, 16 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

I ate some cheetos while watching the debate ... does that count for anything?

Sep 27, 16 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i just watched Monday Night Football. the country is a trainwreck currently, might as well enjoy its better feautures - football.

Sep 27, 16 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

On the bright side, neither of them took the Obama approach of yelling everything for emphasis.  Good lord, I can't stand to hear that man give a speech. 

Seriously? Trump was yelling the last 60 minutes, does he not know how a microphone works?

Sep 27, 16 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Proto-trump wasn't the bar. Everyone's preconceptions was. She was classy, he was your idiot drunk uncle. I really am out of touch (I don't own a TV) so interesting to see them in action.
Sep 27, 16 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

so the New Orleans Saints are all offense and no defense. bummer game last night.

Sep 27, 16 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
World Cup of hockey!
Sep 27, 16 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

so what the hell is team Europe? if there is Sweden and Russia?

Sep 27, 16 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
They were eliminated. Team Europe is a grab bag team of players from countries who don't have enough quality players for their own team.
Sep 27, 16 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
Donna, I haven't figured out if Tim Kaine is more of a new urbanist or a straight-up urbanist. Either way he's got some solid urbanism credentials.
Sep 27, 16 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

If you are an architect or a designer who was stiffed by Trump, we want to hear your story. Send an email to CoDTips@fastcompany.com

Love it. 

Sep 28, 16 8:08 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Team Europe = Team Slovakia Etc.

Actually I've been surprised at how even the hockey throughout the tournament has been. Other than the Czechs (who should have been wrapped up in Europe realistically) every single team had a shot at the finals.

Of course, finding pubs in London that will stay open until 3am is another story...

Sep 28, 16 8:36 am  · 
 · 

I had delicious huevos with homemade salsa this morning for breakfast. Now I'm ready for my 9:15 nap.

Granted, I was up late working, but dang. Sleepy.

Sep 28, 16 9:14 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

NPR discussed some polling on this the other day.  Hating the other candidate came in higher than any "issue" and is a greater factor than any previous election...

Sep 28, 16 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I was a very reluctant Hillary supporter until I saw the debate. I think her ability and smarts swayed me. I fully expected Trump to have control of the debate but he seemed lost.
Sep 28, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Ha ha ha. trump gets thumped

Sep 29, 16 9:36 am  · 
 · 
proto

the town hall forum style of the next one could be chaotic

i have to admit, if it weren't so dangerous, i'd say the post-debate excuse & attack machinations are funnier than the candidate's proclamations, but people who don't fact check their news sources eat that shit up

Sep 29, 16 11:44 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Well, I got told off for not being enthusiastic when using AutoCAD

Sep 29, 16 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Welcome to the new economy. It's not good enough for you to merely show up and do your job well; you must now also show sufficient enthusiasm for it, no matter how phony it comes across. Both my grandfathers spent decades performing mind-numbing manual labor for a living, and they had to put up with a lot of bullshit in those jobs, but I'm pretty sure neither one was expected to be enthusiastic about what they were doing.

Sep 29, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
So I highly recommend Iceland. Holy Shit.

Sad that vacation ends tomorrow, but I'm exhausted and ready to head back.
Sep 29, 16 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I'll be heading to Iceland as a possibility during December.

Apparently my unenthusiastic face is dropping morale in the company and my slouching on my cheer looks lazy. I do my job shouldn't that be enough?

Sep 29, 16 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: