Thread Central

mfrech congrats!

Feb 7, 11 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

thanks and hello nam!

Feb 7, 11 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Steven, if I find that firm I'll recommend manta (minus the "-en farmer" part)!

Congrats, mfrech! it feels so good to get it done with, yes? Even if you really don't know what to do with it once you get it!

Speaking of which I have no idea where my stamp might be. My file drawer, my partner's basement, somewhere in between...

Feb 7, 11 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

it's been a while since I've done this...

Feb 7, 11 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
blah

I took my daughter to a friend's house/studio to watch the Super Bowl yesterday and he showed me 2 pieces that were going out to buyers from Art Miami for a combined selling price of more than I made from all of my clients last year. His stuff is fun a creative. My work wasn't. I dunno.

I think that remaking yourself is really difficult. But he went from frustrated Graphic Designer to Artist. So it is possible.

Hmmmmmmm

Feb 7, 11 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

thank you Donna! and yes, even if the future is unclear and its usefulness in question, it is a very good feeling (even if just to be done w/ the ARE.)

Feb 7, 11 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

hello nam!

the answer of course to your question is to reduce sleeping. you probably think i am joking but i'm not. see, no smiley face. must be serious if there's no smiley face right?

;-)

coolio mfrech!

i could not imagine doing anything else right now. i suspect i am very very lucky. like your friend, make. i am pretty much convinced that the real secret to success might be as simple as just refraining from quitting.

Feb 7, 11 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

jump, i am pretty much convinced that the real secret to success might be as simple as just refraining from quitting. ha!

Feb 7, 11 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

hi all. It's Monday and it started in the shits, I had an unfamiliar number calling me at 6:30a from Washington no less. After 8 attempts and unable I put the phone on silent and realised it was too late to return to bed. So yes I've been a cranky sob all day.

Congrats to mfrech & mantaray on your recent qualifications - it is justified I'm sure, even if to give value to the years spent in school and many nights toiled over work (before and after school, of course). I'm in the same pursuit juggling an active teaching schedule and the required hours in practice just to be able to take the exam. Luckily, I think, we only have one examination - although we do have interviews, a log book and a case study to prepare as well. The shitty part is that the exam is likely to be the week after my wedding.

Feb 7, 11 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, techno, can't you delay the test for your honeymoon?!

Washington state? I bet it was mdler calling you.

nam I too thought jumop's comment re: success was awesome.

Feb 7, 11 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

Oh and Barry, I don't know if this is the right way now... it seems how one represents their online publishing formally keeps changing. Last September this is how mine appeared.

Architechnophilia (www.architechnophilia.co.nr) – Editor and Content Manager of a blog/web journal on architecture, urban design and related topics – initially conceived as an active resource for and about architecture professionals either practicing or from the Caribbean. The site however has grown to readership that represent the Americas, Asia and Europe with 3/4 million unique visitors since March 2005; and has been featured and reviewed in numerous architectural journals – Mark Magazine, Architectural Review, Dwell, and Architectural Record

Feb 7, 11 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

sadly Donna the exam is only done once per year - to satisfy our small number of registered architects (less than 200 since the architect's act of 1987)

Feb 7, 11 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

Well you'll pass it with ease anyway, then you and the missus - the Mrs.! - can have a honeymoon after that.

Feb 7, 11 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

with a doctor for a wife she will surely understand better than anyone about exams and certification and all that rot.

is your system same as in UK? sounds similar to me, like part III exam.

Feb 8, 11 7:55 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Archi...Your following in my footsteps...I did just what your about to embark upon. Married on Saturday, Design Exam on Monday on the other side of the Country. As I sat for my exams in Arizona and was living in Connecticut. Oh, Ya I passed! Best of Luck Archi...

Feb 8, 11 8:32 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

The Vermin Phil...lied...it is snowing again this morning...looks like 6" of snow already. I have been out and shoveled once, and not looking forward to going back out and doing it again. Least I don't have to worry about a place to park my car, cause I have off street parking.

Feb 8, 11 8:40 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

thank you jump and techno - and that is really unfortunate about the once-a-year exam. we really have it pretty easy w/ the ARE format now, very convenient compared to what i've heard it used to be like.

Feb 8, 11 8:42 am  · 
 · 

Yeay!!!

The Sustainability Film Series

my student's films are being featured on May 12th!

Feb 8, 11 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

i took the once a year exam back in the days too. failed categorically with a japanese friend who is a director of architecture school in japan now.
12 hours of drafting a set of mid size civic building with pencil, paper and t-square on top of week-long exams.
years later when i took the are, things seemed much easier. i guess the building experience helped a lot because the content was not that much different.
congratulations to newly minted architects at tc.

Feb 8, 11 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Manta and Mfrech,

Congrats!

Passing the licensing exam is a noble achievement!

Feb 8, 11 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

frech i think i may have congratted you on fb. if not, congrats.

Feb 8, 11 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

cool looking film series there barry.

@jump yea it's very similar to the uk system

Feb 8, 11 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Another snow day. Not really sure what to think.

Feb 9, 11 9:16 am  · 
 · 

That film series does look cool Barry!

I can't get my house above 64 d. Woo! I may be drinking while drafting today just to try to keep warm! Hot tea with rum mmmmmm.

Feb 9, 11 9:49 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

orhan, make and vado: thank you very much. i'm just thankful to be employed these days, but the license was a nice touch. the stamp will remain in pristine condition for quite a long while, i think.

Feb 9, 11 10:25 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

donna, my first floor is often in the mid to low 60s while the upstairs is in the 70s. so far our gas bills this year are down 10% even though the weather seems colder. I did a better weatherization job this year that included caulking. was negative 5 when I left this morning - I'm guessing that indiana is warmer...

Feb 9, 11 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I have a 5 gal keg in a trash can with a plastic liner full of ice in my laundry room. The ice doesn't melt.

Feb 9, 11 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Um, why do you have a keg, Strawbeary, and can I come over?

Feb 9, 11 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

We did our first homebrew! I mentioned it a few posts back, but I gues TC is not full of other homebrewers. (I can change that.) It turned out really good. We have about 1.5 gal left, but are hooked on the homebrew and will be brewing again shortly.

Feb 9, 11 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Party at my house.

Feb 9, 11 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Hay-ay! Ho-oh!

Feb 9, 11 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Mmmm, physics and chemistry in drinkable form.

Feb 9, 11 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I have been considering doing some home brewing. The only draw back I can is is getting fresh yeast and other supplies. Seems like
our local store doesn't have a big turnover in off the shelf product.

Seems like the inital set up is a bit more than I want to spend at this time. It would be better just to give it up and become a grumpy old sober guy.

Feb 9, 11 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Oops, just lost a longer post - some weird preview things going on with Archinect lately.

Basically I was looking for an excuse to post this: Fort Wayne scratches Harry Baals off new county building.

I'm a 12 year old boy inside, I swear.

Feb 9, 11 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

that's pretty funny donna...

while we're on the subject of indoor air temps... i've got my thermostat set at 64* in the morning, up to 66* during the day, 67* in the evening, and down to 60* over night... and there is a very noticeable difference from the upstairs lofted bedroom and the rest of place... walking upstairs when the thermostat is at 67* is like walking into a sauna... i wish that there was a way to get the hot air downstairs where it needs to be... we could probably save like $100 in gas bills each month if we just lived upstairs in the bedroom...

Feb 9, 11 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Phillip, I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere, but Criminal Minds is starting.

Feb 9, 11 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

Philip: ceiling fan.

Feb 9, 11 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

I ran into a neighbor in the grocery store this evening. She told me I looked defeated.

<sigh>

Feb 10, 11 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

everyone must be busy today...

@donna, i would love to be able to mount one of those new residential-sized "big ass fans" over our two-story-high living room... alas, its just a rental and it would take some major work to safely mount a fan to the exposed steel beams that are 16-20' up in the air...

Feb 10, 11 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Yes, busy day, but I found out I won another sweepstakes, the second one I've won this year. Weird.

Feb 10, 11 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Strawbeary, millions and millions of dollars?!? Or something like a free duct cleaning?

Feb 10, 11 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

donna, boo.
maybe you caught her on a bad day? or not,
Phil, i feel like all i/we am/are is busy. that is a good thing i guess. success breeds success?

late night and early morning. ciao.

Feb 10, 11 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Both prizes were $50 gift cards to local businesses. I get to try new restaurants. :) Although one is a shrimp place and I don't eat shrimp.

Feb 10, 11 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, busy like crazy. Honestly, you guys, this feels like my first year of being self-employed, when I was drafting until 1am every night and never saw my husband except across the top of my laptop, but I'd converse with diabase and someone else whose name I can't remember as I was getting ready for bed and they were just showing up for work!

At least tomorrow afternoon I get to go do some crits - kind of a break, but not really - critting is hard work, although I'll be doing it with my bestest local architecture buddies!

Feb 11, 11 12:37 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Strawbeary, I thought I was the only one who did t like shrimp. For me, it's a texture thing, like eating someones nose. Yuck.

Donna, hang in there.

Feb 11, 11 8:54 am  · 
 · 

how can you not like shrimp??? that is definitely one of the things that i miss now that i live in philadelphia... there's nowhere to get good, cheap seafood like there is back home in florida... sarah, the nose comment leads me to believe that you've only had overcooked shrimp, which become quite rubbery... shrimp are one of those things that go from awesome to mediocre if they're cooked just 2 seconds too long...

Feb 11, 11 9:03 am  · 
 · 

morning all,

I had shrimp for the first time late last year. not so weird as i was raised vegetarian and just started eating some seafood 2-3 years ago.

However, tying in with Phillips comment, the first shrimp i ever had was local North fl atlantic shrimp out of Mayport (near Jacksonville). Purchased at local farmers market, fresh and huge.

The thing that surprised me the most was how sweet they were.
Wasn't expecting that....

Feb 11, 11 9:25 am  · 
 · 

I miss shrimp sushi - seems that most of the country only uses cooked shrimp, but in LA you can get 'sweet' shrimp and the best part is choosing between getting the shrimphead in miso or deep fried...

Feb 11, 11 10:29 am  · 
 · 

I read a beautiful food article once about eating live shrimp in SF's Chinatown. Sounded amazing, and though I love shrimp, even raw, I don't think I could eat a live one.

My day is completely f*cked woooo!

Feb 11, 11 10:31 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

i am a shrimp fan, but lately i've been shying away from seafood b/c of ecosystems guilt....

and Sarah, your shrimp-nose comparison made me chuckle!!!

Feb 11, 11 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: