Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

snook_dude

This was taken last Friday Night around 10:00 pm...and we have another one on the way....yahoo....to 16-20 Inches of the white stuff.

Jan 11, 11 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Is that a postage stamp?

Jan 11, 11 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Nope that is the front of our house...don't know how to make it bigger...Sarah...guess you will have to go find your magnifying glass.

Jan 11, 11 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sarah....helping you out...well at least I think I am. Went and bought some wine and beer since tomorrow is going to be a total loss...with the storm moving in.

[img}http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs794.ash1/168473_1663005309112_1656602450_1563650_954971_n.jpg[/img]

Jan 11, 11 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude
Jan 11, 11 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude
Jan 11, 11 6:10 pm  · 
 · 

snook your house is lovely! That's how it looked here all day but you're supposed to get hit with way more than we did - we got about 5-6". I spent two ours shoveling my sidewalk, my and neighbor's driveway, MIL's walk and sidewalk, and a path along the entire block from my house to MIL's. I *deserve* a bourbon, but instead I'm working my way through a gift husband brought me form Scotland ten years ago - ten little mini bottles of various scotches.

To my tastebuds, scotch<bourbon.

Jan 11, 11 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Donna....YUMMY! It has been one of those weeks!

Jan 11, 11 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

shit that looks cosy....

Jan 11, 11 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

nam, sorry that shoulda read don't eat RED meat. i still eat chicken and fish, though not as much as i should probably. reason? not so much ethical. mostly health. definitely not religious. healthy diet is pretty easy in japan actually. my wife is a very good cook, with the fish and the tofu, and with local veggie shop so close by we are really spoiled.

good luck sarah. maybe your husband is just ageing and what he eats and does is not affecting him the way it used to...;=)

changing teaching style is a tough one barry. I tried to have students participate more in my lectures this year on sustainable planning and architecture, but it was not easy. i like your essay assignment actually. may steal it from you if i get the chance to teach this course again. i find that there is so much ground to cover that lectures are often the only way to be sure they get everything i think is important. does the new system make up for that somehow?

Jan 11, 11 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Snook, it seems the beer and wine have helped you think. Your house really does look like a christmas card. Is that the front door you use? Does it have a porch, or is the snow just covering it? How old is it? It really is pretty.

Jan 12, 11 8:25 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Wow snook - your house really does look nice and cozy and inviting! I hope and Mrs B are surviving this next "weather bomb" as the local weather folk keep calling it.

SH - Don't forget muscle weighs more than fat. Last summer when I was biking so much I didn't actually "lose" any weight but I slimmed down immensely. The question shouldn't be about the weight lost, it should be about the amount of inches lost or how the clothes are fitting. If they are loose than he his achieving the results he's looking for.

Jan 12, 11 8:37 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

my hometown got something like forty inches of snow. here i got forty flakes. its down in the thirties. which feels like an indianastan spring.

Jan 12, 11 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Don't lie Vado, it's effing cold outside. BTW, are you in the northern half of the state?

Melt, I know what you're saying, but that's not even happening. Poor guy. Even his trainer is getting discouraged.

Jan 12, 11 9:20 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

This is this morning at about 7:30 and it is still snowing hard:

I'm the guy hiding behind the snowflake

Jan 12, 11 9:43 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sarah,

Actually our has two entries. This is the one we use the most. It is the entry to the kitchen. The formal entry is more intergal to the house. I will see if I have a shot of it.

Jan 12, 11 9:47 am  · 
 · 

Yep that's about how it looked here half an hour ago while I was out walking Chica. Looks like we have a reprieve now, which means I need to go out and shovel the additional 2" off of what I already shoveled yesterday <sigh>. Truth told I'd much rather go out and shovel than format the drawing sheets I have to go do instead! Shoveling will be my reward for getting the cad done...

Jan 12, 11 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Snook, that photo is so anti-paparazzi of you.

I'm always curious how other people live, in regards to their houses, I mean. I love to look at floor plans still. Guess you never lose that, huh.

Jan 12, 11 9:52 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Main Entry:

This was at about 9:30 this morning...and accumulation is going to keep up until 3:00 this afternoon and then we have some wind in the forecast.

I just came in from shoveling and snow blowing for the past two hours.

Jan 12, 11 11:41 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sarah, The roof spring line at the eave is at about 5'-6" on the inside with the roof peak at around 18'. Every room has full vaulted ceilings, with the exception of the kitchen and the Bathroom which have flat ceilings at about 8'-6". It is a stone house built in 1919.

Jan 12, 11 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Beautiful snook!

I'm with Sarah, I love seeing how people live including just casual glancing in lit windows as I walk the dog in the evenings...I'm not a peeping tom, I swear, I just glance at furnishings and art from the sidewalk!

Jan 12, 11 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I took a lot of walks at dusk when living in a neghborhood with huge old houses with huge windows and beautiful light fixtures and art work in them. Dusk is that magical time of day when lights start to come on inside, curtains are still open and people are seen transitioning to another part of the day. You are not a peeping tom, you are an architect, we have license to do such gazing.

Jan 12, 11 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Our house is situated such that curtains are not required from the street. You can see in but not really well unless your really stopping and staring. Which we get alot of, because our little stone cottage style house is on a street which have it share of traffic. When were out with the dog people often stop us and tell us what a great house we have, and oh they love the flowers in the summer.

Jan 12, 11 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I do it too Donna - I think a lot of people do actually.

snook - that's a nicely pitched roof. Does the snow make a racket sliding down when its start to melt in the sun? I remember growing up that used to happen a lot. The first couple of times it scared the crap out of me, but then I got used to it.

Jan 12, 11 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Smiling Snow Dog

Jan 12, 11 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

damn I need to figure out how to resize this pic...

Jan 12, 11 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

damn I need to figure out how to resize this pic...

Jan 12, 11 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

until then....here is a dog serious about snow!

Jan 12, 11 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

snook,

type width= 400 before the [/img] part, not forgetting to put in a space before the [/img]. i don't know why that latter is required but it works...

my in-laws place is much like yours snook. except its 100 plus year old wooden japanese house. the ancestor of my father in law was a minor lord of some sort and they still have an estate and a nice old home left over after american govt redistributed land following wwII. the city grew up around them so there is a busy street at the front and tonnes of wee houses all round. kind of incongruous but really nice to have a small farm in the middle of the city.

being in the center of the snow belt (i just made that term up, but its still true) every winter looks like your place, except we use groundwater to melt snow through pipes embedded in the driveway. shovels are almost unnecessary.

Jan 12, 11 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Jump, can you post a picture of their house? It's sounds cool. And pipes in the driveway, now that's an idea.

Jan 12, 11 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

per doctors orders, I can't shovel again this winter (good thing I'm not back east right now), so we hired the ten year old down the street to do the work. Not that I miss shoveling in negative 10, but it was my only reliable exercise in winter around here. Waiting to find out if I can delay going under the knife or not - missing a week or two of classes seems worse then living with the pain right now.

Jan 12, 11 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

tk, pain from what? is it an orthopedic issue?

good night everyone. I have my first day of work at 6:30 for teaching end user training classes tomorrow.

Jan 12, 11 9:28 pm  · 
 · 

okay... I feel like I've been absent from class and desperately trying to catch up.

So quick update. The missus still has chicken pox. And yes Sarah, I've been good putting on her ointment and reminding her to take her meds. She wanted to leave earlier this week but every doctor we've spoken to wants her to finish her course of medication before she does. Doctors often make the worse patients.

Also school resumes next week. I'm excited I'm taking over the 2nd semester as the design studio team leader. Yeah me! Should be fun... trying not to rock the boat too much but eager to get more hand drawing back into the curriculum. Also I'm hoping to spruce up the projects somewhat. Fun times.

And I'm getting a mac. It's my compensation for the helluva work I put in for this market in a historically listed area that I did schematic designs to cds for.

Jan 13, 11 12:17 am  · 
 · 

hope your SO gets better soon archi. the mac is nice, but being leader for studio is even more cool. well done.

i have a million photos somewhere sarah but none on this computer. will see if i can find an image when i get chance.

sounds not fun TK. take care of yourself.

Jan 13, 11 7:45 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Techno, I never understood it, but peoplewith chicken pox always take oatmeal baths. Have you tried it?

I begin student teaching on Tuesday. The mentor teacher seems cool enough. He's old, and has strong ideas, but so do I. I think it's gonna work.

Jan 13, 11 8:32 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

it's a back thang that has been going on all fall and is likely the long-term effect of a car crash or two a decade ago.

sarah, best wishes with the mentor. there were days in the lecture hall where I wished for a coach...

Jan 13, 11 9:15 am  · 
 · 

Morning all
i have done the oat bath before. it works....

sarah student teaching? are you in the process of getting state cert? or in school? did i miss something?

archi, i hope to get myself a new computer. i need one but it is also going to be my one new years gift to myself.

however, i am still debating mac or not. I love macs after converting about 5 yrs ago. but the price differential is really making me reconsider.

Jan 13, 11 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

The snow here is so light, it literally takes 3 minutes to shovel the walks even with several inches of snow. Nothing like the heavy wet stuff in the midwest or east coast. I don't have a lot of sidewalk on my tiny lot, so the hardest part of shoveling is the uneven sandstone pavers that make up the sidewalks!

Jan 13, 11 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Nam, it's really a CTE "clinical teaching experience." Student teaching is what is most recognizable, though. I've been working on state certification for while now. I'm coming into the home stretch now. I take my final exam on the 12 of march.

Jan 13, 11 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Sarah, are you done with architecture as a practice then? Do you ever see yourself returning?

Jan 13, 11 10:32 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Every time someone tells me about the price differential on a mac, I tell them that I have been using my laptop since 2003(!) and it is STILL powerful enough to do all my cadding, graphics/photoshop work, etcetera. And all I've had to do is replace the battery 1x (after 5 years) and replace the power cord once. (Although it does need a new battery now so I guess that will be 2x in 7.5 years.) So... yes, I paid something like $2400 back in 2003, but I don't know a single person whose non-Apple laptop has been this reliable and this maintenance-free for over 7 years. That's only, what, around $350/year? How often do you need to replace non-Apple laptops?

Jan 13, 11 10:50 am  · 
 · 
copper_top

manta, on the other hand my 3 year old macbook pro is starting to feel sluggish. It's had the keyboard, trackpad, graphics card, screen, and power cord replaced. The saving grace of all this is that I got the Applecare program which covered it all.

Jan 13, 11 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Strawbeary, I'm hoping to teach architecture in the HS level. Assuming I get the job - assuming it's available in the fall, I hope to take it from a simple intro to Acad into a more prep for arch school program. My hope is that students, after leaving my class, will be either prepared for an Arch program, or competent enough to get a job in the drafting world if they aren't going to college. I feel that not everyone was cut out to be an academic, and thats ok, we need those people, but the education system is leaving them behind.

I'll probably be asking help from all of you guys. Gotta use my resources!

Jan 13, 11 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

SH, Well I am sure you will get the job! Sounds awesome. I like your thoughts regarding teaching to multiple levels of students in the same class... arch school prep and general CAD/modeling/drafting. Good teachers come to their students. That will be a great opportunity for both you and them.

I haven't been teaching much lately, we have lots of students but I haven't been taking any. Instead I am working to rebrand our company, as the one we inherited is weak.

Jan 13, 11 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
postal

my favorite cad work in high school were those simple drafting visualization problems where you took an isometric and an elevation and tried to figure out the other two elevations or something... or getting the elevations and developing a iso of little machine parts... those were always fun... and i think they go a long way to teach you how to visualize and communicate

Jan 13, 11 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

smiling again

Jan 13, 11 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

That snow looks pretty deep and fluffy.

Jan 13, 11 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I think what I'd like to do is teach them to use a sketchbook - to talk/think with the pencil. I'd like to cover, albeit briefly, arch history, and the importance of precedents. I'd like to teach them to research, teach them to use resources, and still teach them drafting, ect. I want them to understand why the first, what is it, 8? colours in acad are what they are. I want them to be able to understand line weights, and how to create a dynamic drawing. I want them to have a portfolio in the end that will get them into schools or a firm.

Fingers are crossed.

Jan 13, 11 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Hi All!

Love the snowy house picture, snook. It's looks so incredibly cozy.

I'm taking a furniture design studio this quarter. I'm designing a dining table for my sister's wedding gift [a few months late but who's counting?]. We have full-scale mockups do on Wednesday. Dear goodness, what did I get myself into? I'll be welding two end pieces out of steel and have a 'floating' black walnut slab that spans 6'-0". I'm really excited for this studio! So excited!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Jan 13, 11 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I wish it were still sarcastic Wednesday :o/

Jan 13, 11 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: