Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

snook and Sarah I think you two are on to something. As long as you offer an invite. Or we can all become neighbours and set up an archinect commune.

Got dragged into a masters critique. It was the first project for the year... both years combined. Students were designing around the concept of dining, restaurants, etc. Fair work for a two week project. Looking to see what next.

treekiller can I borrow your key too for my sustainability conference next month?

Sep 23, 10 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

sarah, parlez-vous français ?

thanks treekiller. very kind and coolio of you!

nam, policy economics design all in one. very big tent. the people organizing the project think architects and planners are too isolated and nothing gets done without starting at same place, so here we are starting together...will be interesting to see if it works. academic research but with real projects and intended to be implemented. first time for me. should be fun.

Sep 23, 10 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Um, I can say "ci ci Bon" thanks to the old yoplait comercials, and "je'tame". That's about it, really. I've always like Babar. Mostly, I think I'd love places like Sweden or holland, but for the weather, so I'm looking at places with a warm-temporal sort of climate. Problem is that husband doesn't think he can make the money over there that he makes here. He's probably right since European cars probably aren't such a luxury in Europe. That, and people like to walk/bike/bus. On the plus side, I think I could call myself an architect!

Children throwing up in bed is no fun, even if it is exciting. Poor kid. Had no idea what was happening - it's only his second time to puke. He seems good today.

Sep 24, 10 9:14 am  · 
 · 

atechno, coming at you...

Sep 24, 10 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Crazy deadline today at 2pm MET. Still have a lot of work to do in the next week, but at least I can have the luxury of a beer this evening. Why, it's 5pm in 20 minutes, might as well get started!

jump congrats on the research group! - another thing that will take time and keep you frantically overscheduled, yes, (I'm weaily familiar with those things...) but it's awesome you're doing it!

Honestly I don't think my husband and I will see each other for the next year - we've been tag teaming spending time with Angus all week because we're both too overcommitted. Seems over-commitment is what it takes to keep your head above water these days.

Sep 24, 10 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I have been spending way to much time thinking about when, Shag Carpeting will make a comeback in the world of design. Do you think this is a problem?

Sep 24, 10 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

jump - congrats

sarah - sounds like fun - I hope you get more subbing gigs - great way to build your resume...

snook - shag came back and went this past decade... not full-room shag, though... just rugs... and you can buy them at ikea!

now it seems like everyone is doing the casually strewn bokhara/persian rugs...

Sep 24, 10 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Sep 24, 10 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

that sounds like our family life lately too donna. it is going to become much harder now, which worries me. but since i am being paid to do what we were doing in the office on our own time as side project it definitely is a better situation as far as the bank is concerned. lots of cool people involved too which hopefully leads to more opportunities...

but the over-commitment thing, i really don't know how so many people manage it. hire good staff i guess?

Sep 24, 10 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

très chouette, Sarah.

actually northern europe is pretty cool. most younger folks speak english fluently or close enough. so why not head on over? healthcare is good and university in many countries is all but free (can you credit it?). and yes you can call yourself an architect, long as you have a 5 year degree...;-)

Sep 24, 10 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ok... getting interviewed is kinda awkward, kinda awesome.

Sep 25, 10 2:51 am  · 
 · 

Good luck, holz! Who interviewed you? Sounds like you're not talking about a job interview.

Sep 25, 10 11:03 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

no, it was a news organisation. thanks, hopefully i didn't ramble too much!

Sep 25, 10 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Holz.box, our resident media darling!

Sep 25, 10 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

did you dazzle them with your extensive architectural knowledge? I know I am often left in awe. What was the interview about?

Sep 25, 10 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

archinect 3.0!

no, it's on some green stuff. probably not, since my green knowledge isn't quite as extensive as my picture recognition capabilities.

Sep 25, 10 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

holz, this month's Architect has an example of a house designed under the "Passive House" guidelines. Is this the same as the passivhaus thing of which you frequently speak?

Jeez, if I had more money - not even a whole lot more, just $75K or so - I could make my home exterior and yard design so freaking cool. So many ideas, so little cash...

Sep 25, 10 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

donna,

that's exactly the passivhaus system i've been promoting over LEED, for a number of reasons.

the states refers to it as passive house. having learned about it while working in germany, i stick with passivhaus. a lot of americans think a passive house is a passive solar house. i use the german nomenclature to avoid confusion.

Sep 25, 10 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Passivhaus! Yay!

I was going to say something else but I forgot. Ah well. Happy Saturday!

Sep 25, 10 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

passivhaus sounds sehr cool.

Far more cool than our limp milky Passive House yech.

Just blew through the entire last season of Weeds.

Sep 26, 10 12:44 am  · 
 · 
n_

Still sleepless in Seattle. Damn.

Sep 26, 10 2:30 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I just came in to say congrats to holz! Your passion towards smarter sustainability goals is truly inspiring.

Sep 26, 10 5:04 am  · 
 · 
n_

my graduate students presented on both LEED and Passiv Haus this week... and...and... wait for it, it serves as my point of departure for my conference paper.

I wish we in the Caribbean weren't so passive about passiv haus

Sep 26, 10 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

whoo! passivhaus galore! hopefully sounding the death knell to LEED and its asinine inefficiencies

Sep 26, 10 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

it's creepy when your car salesperson, your dentist, and your insurance agent all send you birthday cards.

Sep 26, 10 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

holz Passivhaus isn't all roses either - in terms of temperate or tropical applications it seems to score far less than LEED. That said conceptually it is far more sound (replace heat with cooling or fresh air, energy minimal energy use/re-use by-products like heat, etc)

Sep 26, 10 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Happy birthday barry!! from the internets=not creepy.

Sep 26, 10 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Totally bizarre experience: So I've had coffee or drinks with a lot of folks who were looking for jobs, right? And one of my friends recently referred me to someone who was applying at my company. Which is fine. And he emailed me, and I took a while to respond, because I'm busy, and then I looked at his stuff, and he's great, but he had no experience in our field. So I finally wrote him back and said that he looked like he was a great candidate but with no experience, but I'd still be happy to meet him for coffee.

...And the guy takes a while to email ME back, and when he does, he says he's been "summarily rejected" by my company for the one job he applied for, and that he moved to Portland a few weeks ago from Michigan, and he's since moved BACK.

Who does that? Who moves someplace for two weeks and then moves back? Weird.

Sep 27, 10 1:21 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

HE has to be from Detroit!

Sep 27, 10 8:46 am  · 
 · 

DubK, maybe he didn't really "move", but just crashed with friends for a few weeks while sniffing out the PDX job market? God knows there are plenty of young people there he could be friends with.

I saw the last 45 minutes of Inglorious Basterds this weekend. My Brad Pitt swoonage deepens.

Sep 27, 10 9:14 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Not unheard of. My bro-in-law moved to LA for 2 weeks.

Sep 27, 10 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

The county appraiser just drove by my house v.e.r.y...s.l.o.w.l.y... I hope she's not thinking of raising my taxes.

Sep 27, 10 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I hate those drive-by goverment people.... and the political candidates who come door to door. Yesterday we were gone and well when we got home the outdoor light on the front of the house was on, which I thought was odd. That is until I came into the house and all of the chairs in our kitchen were knocked over...I figured someone must have come a knocking and the dogs went wild. They didn't bother to leave a leaflet so I figured they didn't want me knowing they were the one who pissed off my dogs.

Sep 27, 10 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i had some a-hole city inspector cite me for something, and for the life of me, i think either he's blind, got the wrong property, or just doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.

Sep 27, 10 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah quite smash a window and park an old car out front just in case - you may frighten the neighbours but you could lower your taxes a shade.

Crazy rain today, about a foot in an hour. I look on the balcony of the faculty building to see fog on campus. So I did what any self-respecting Jamaican does - I went home!

Sep 27, 10 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh man, my neighboors need to get a new A/C unit. It's gorgeuos outside, and I want to open my windows, but my largest window, and the one needed for the best airflow through my house, just happens to face their unit, and it's soo loud it sounds like a lawn mower! Oh, why cant the just get a Trane?!

Sep 28, 10 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So there's a YLighting ad at the top of the page. I had to read it twice, I thought it said "Trade Piercing," and that the lamp was a scrotum. Guess it's just too early.

I'm going to be a HS math teacher today. Wish me luck - I hope it's not calculus...geometry would be nice.

And my refrigerator sounds like a truck!

Sep 29, 10 7:25 am  · 
 · 

Hi all,

Had a great weekend in Atlanta. Saw a Pavement reunion show at the Tabernacle, went to the High Musuem, stayed at the Westin Peachtree Center (highest hotel in western hemisphere). All in all an amazing little break.

A small sampling of the photos I took can be found here.

Sep 29, 10 9:03 am  · 
 · 

I love when I misread things like that, Sarah. Trade piercing, nice.

Good luck with the HS kids.

I'm sooooo tired and overwhelmed. Gossamer is a pretty word, though.

Sep 29, 10 9:05 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, I am so screwed. 7th period is calculus. Derivatives? Functions? Proofs? The only proof I know about is in bread baking. Oh god.

Sep 29, 10 11:27 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

THE BIG NEWS (finally) IS HERE!!!!! Just got word that my interdisciplinary proposal to study the integration of energy and ecology modeling on the campus has been funded with $255,545 for three years!!!!!!! that money will pay for developing a new class, several research assistants, prizes for students, symposiums, some travel, and will bump up my salary (from 75% to 100%) since I'm now a 'research fellow'!!!!

Gotta thank my collaborators Lance, Mary, and Loren, plus the dean and director of the IonE for championing the proposal through this long slog.

I'll be posting more to my blog when the official press release goes out. Started working on this proposal back in December, so it's been a longggggggg time coming.

(now we have to figure out how to actually deliver.)

Sep 29, 10 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

congrats tk!

Sep 29, 10 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
n_

TK! That's huge! Congratulations! I'm proud of you!

Sep 29, 10 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

TK awesome news!!

Sep 29, 10 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Yay! Can I say I knew you when?

Sep 29, 10 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

all of the tc crowd can say 'they knew me when'. This funding just makes it that much more difficult to get out of the north woods.

Sep 29, 10 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

well, congrats, but it gives me one more reason to stay in the north woods...

Sep 29, 10 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Anyone saw this video today?

Sep 29, 10 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats treekiller! You're my favorite murderer of trees ;-) But they don't make paper money out of wood pulp, do they?

Sarah did you survive calculus? I wouldn't have! I'd have spent the hour talking with the students about what bands they like.

Sep 29, 10 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: