Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

got the edits from fairly well known NYC school. I'll be spending the weekend writing and hopefully finish on Sunday so I can go the beach and eat some fish with friends and have a beer.

Sep 10, 10 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

AWESOME?

Sep 10, 10 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

freezer camp or option c. let it go?

Sep 10, 10 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

Those chickens are embarrassed for themselves, you just know it.

No beta I can't let it go - a raccoon or coyote or housecat will kill it, it can't forage enough in the woods. I think it's more respectful to kill it humanely and eat it myself than abandon it.

And yes, Sarah, freezer camp means eat - I'd actually turn most of it into broth and freeze it in packets.

I juts printed a whole lot of furniture cut sheets. I don't especially enjoy furniture work.

Sep 10, 10 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I've seen some roosters hold their own vs. cats...

I just went through furniture stuff a couple weeks ago... IMO - office furniture is more fun than residential...

Sep 11, 10 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

cut sheets for furniture? Are you building/assembling Donna?

I spent 6 hours writing and editting and I'm spent. Heading to the beach and the gym tomorrow - let's see if I'll be too knackered to do any work in the afternoon.

Sep 11, 10 10:16 pm  · 
 · 

Steven congrats, that's not too shabby of a consolation prize....

Sep 12, 10 10:15 am  · 
 · 

yeah, i'm ok with it!

so. what's better than working all day on a sunday?!

working on a SPEC all day on a sunday!

woo hoo!.... oooo....... oooo... erm.

Sep 12, 10 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Sep 12, 10 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

I was almost going to have too...myself. thank the lord.

Sep 12, 10 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

I went to the beach... it was great!

Sep 12, 10 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Anyone have any ideas on how to shove drywall anchors into a tile wall that has lath behind it? Former owners weren't very knowledgeable in house construction obviously. I tried to pull them out with pliers and only ended up shredding the ends. Thanks.

Congrats SW on your project award.

Sep 13, 10 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

hey guys,

So it took two tries but i finally got a submission in and was accepted for Gainesville's second volume of Pecha Kucha.

I present in 2 weeks!!!

yeah

Sep 13, 10 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I want to start a roadkill thread. Should I?

Sep 13, 10 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

YES.

I will doodle something, too.

Sep 13, 10 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Donna, are you sure it's a rooster? Has it started crowing?

I think that you should eat it but I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT. Start a separate pet-killing and eating thread, please.

Sep 13, 10 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

DubK it's livestock, not a pet. That's my attitude towards the chickens. My dog is a pet; I would only eat her if some On The Road type apocalypse came to pass.

melt, I have no advice for you, but I've had the same result when trying to yank mis-installed drywall anchors.

nam: knock'em enlightened!

Sep 13, 10 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

WAIT! Make that The Road, not ON the road. Wrong book.

Sep 13, 10 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

thanks Donna!

Sep 13, 10 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

as far as i can tell, dogs are people.;.)

we had chickens when i was in elementary school in a small city when we lived in a house with a garden couple of years. growing up in a mid rise environment, chickens (or any other animal) were definitely a nice break from the city.

i feel relaxed after completing the first in a series of archinect sessions. to be honest, i was a little nervous for tackling such a nebulous subject as "future of urbanism" and still make some sense afterall. there is always beginners naiveté and courage that comes with it...
the guests (geoff manaugh and bryan finoki) were very appropriate and we had an interesting discussion with the audience. it was a real discussion as opposed to usual "show and tell" type of portfolio presentation of the participants that happens in these kind of forums. the "structure of feeling" was an interesting phrase to include in the make up of the cities.

i just got this picture from glen small showing me on the left commenting a student presentation on "CLASS ON UNIVERSAL BEAUTY USING ZEROX MACHINE COLOR IMAGES TO RECORD AND DESIGN PROJECTS" year 1984, sci arc.. i guess i started this crit business early on with noteworthy use of the left hand.;.)))

Sep 13, 10 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
AP

hey TC, long time...

just wanted to drop in and draw your attention to a feature that just went up yesterday, The Extraordinary vs. the Everyday Catastrophe. I'm hoping some of you will comment...the feature is a conversation, and it is by no means complete. Our motivation behind putting this together and placing in front of the Archinect audience is to carry the conversation forward. So please, be your generous selves, and share your thoughts. There are dozens of students implicated in the feature, via their student work, and I will be asking them to respond to any questions or comments posted by Archinect readers.

Orhan (nice jacket), I posted this elsewhere, but I really enjoyed the Archinect Sessions via the live stream. You 3 were a great trio to get this thing started...looking forward to the next set of guests, and your continuing conversation...

Sep 13, 10 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Ken Koense

hey i am deciding where to visit next - i can drive to naptown in what, 7 or 8 hours, i can fly to la-la...where oh where should i go?

Sep 13, 10 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Ken I want you to come to Naptown but! not anytime in the next two months. I'm too busy to even breathe without rushing.

AP the catastrophe article looks amazing - I started it over the weekend then stopped because I wanted to slow down and be able to enjoy/absorb it all - see note above about how everything is rushed lately.

Sad to have missed Finoki, Geoff, and Orhan - what a power trio!

Sep 13, 10 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, the debate (more in classical sense than argumentative) is now archived on the news post.

I still need to finish it, though.

AP, nice job getting that together.

Sep 13, 10 10:35 pm  · 
 · 

Ken there's always Jamaica, but its been raining like there's a leak in heaven so it's hard to predict sunny days (yesterday was clear skies - today was dark and wet... all day)

Orhan great photo and congrats on the forum.

I'm on the conclusion and it is kicking my ass... I think I'm going to sleep hopefully I can tackle this in the morning.

Sep 13, 10 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

AP, you should accept submissions! Give some AEC people some press!

I think you could compile a brilliant proposal/academic article based on preventative architecture and planning.

Sep 14, 10 12:14 am  · 
 · 

Just spent three hours working (OK, 2.5 since I spent the other .5 posting here) on a PTA program. If I didn't volunteer to do things like PTA, I could have spent that time working on the real work I'm so far behind on! (And sorry about that poor grammar - too tired to fix. Going to bed.)

Sep 14, 10 12:31 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ken, you're welcome to come visit Portland, I have a spare room and bed, and my downstairs neighbor only plays his stereo too loud some of the time.

AP I will check that out ASAP by like Donna I am swamped. Actually I need to go do some work myself right now. :o/

Sep 14, 10 1:09 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

It's HERE!!! I've been playing with my new Wacom tablet, and it's so much fun! See....

Sep 14, 10 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm sure I forgot someone, and I'm sorry.

Oh, and Ken, you're of course welcome down this way.

Sep 14, 10 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, so cool! I love it!

Sep 14, 10 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Ken Koense

that's cute, should be the page header...just saying.

Sep 14, 10 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

sarah very cool..

I think i know whose who.

Night all.

Sep 14, 10 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Very cute SH. Funny enough I think I know who everyone is too.

Off to bed... my head feels like it's been in a vice grip since late this afternoon. Gotta love allergy season :o/

Sep 14, 10 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

One more thing and then I promise I'm out for the night. While I don't condone the wearing of the burqa, this bill passed by the French Senate doesn't sit too well either.

Sep 14, 10 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

well there's only one guy without glasses so I'll assume that's me. Those tablets are fun but they left me with a heel on my wrist.

And my essay on Kingston is finished (again). Much better since the edits and direction. Let's hope it goes through without a hitch. Too many re-writes can hit the confidence really hard.

time for bed - love you all.

Sep 14, 10 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

and some light reading for you all

Sep 14, 10 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Ken Koense

i am thinking of trying out for a men's roller derby squad...oh yeah, i said it.

Sep 15, 10 2:03 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

well, it has been fun.

i should be banned sometime this morning.

thanks for all the help to those who have given it to me. thanks for those who have been honest assholes. thanks to those who share their personal lives. and thanks to all those who share their business lives.

i realized i have neither the skills nor the education nor the intuition to be involved in the AEC industry. i tried. i failed. im admitting it.

anyways, the unicorn ghost drawing by sarah? priceless!

But maybe I'll see one of you either when i get a job or when i am dead.

Sep 15, 10 4:49 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

p.s. im always available for free renders, free graphic design or for talking at slaughterunicorns (at) gmail dot com.

Sep 15, 10 4:54 am  · 
 · 

um.

i'm not sure why you're working so hard to leave us, unicorn, whether you've got an 'AEC' job or not.

wtf with that video, though?!

we're all just here to be entertained in the context of an architecture-ish community. it's not necessary to be IN architecture. and you've been pretty entertaining.

what's the deal?

Sep 15, 10 6:49 am  · 
 · 

i don't know who i am in sarah's sketch, but i hope i'm the guy by donna and vado. but why don't we have noses? are we all muppets, except for architechnophilia?

Sep 15, 10 6:51 am  · 
 · 

i'm very tired. waking up at 4:45 every morning is getting to me. i need to be cloned. and i need my clone to write these f#$%@ specs so i don't have to do it anymore.

Sep 15, 10 6:53 am  · 
 · 

WTF indeed, Unicorn. I've certainly not clicked on the thread itself, but nobody needs even that thread title in their brain this early in the morning.

AND FOR FUCK'S SAKE I'M SICK OF THE CASUAL MISOGYNY THIS WORLD ACCEPTS AS NORMAL EVERY DAY! Try being a woman for a half a day, UG you little prick, you'd never survive it.

Whew. Now I hope that response was somewhat appropriate to the thread. Like O said, I won't click on it, but even the title is so awful it makes me want to kill humanity.

Sep 15, 10 8:14 am  · 
 · 

Umm what they said...

Morning all.

Sep 15, 10 8:26 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, sorry everyone else for that outburst but jeez. WTF.

nam I assume you've alerted the big green head that there's something potentially unacceptably nasty on the forum? I hate to bother Paul with stupid shit like that.

Sep 15, 10 8:51 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Hmmm...I may have to venture out of TC to see what all the fuss is about.

And I just didn't feel like drawing noses, so sure, we're muppets, and yes, Steven, that's you. I never realized how many people wear glasses in my mind of how you all look. I'm sure you all really do have noses, though.

Sep 15, 10 9:22 am  · 
 · 

i think i am/could be the guy who is spinning like the top. beautiful illustration nevertheless.

Sep 15, 10 10:15 am  · 
 · 

I assumed you were the top, also, Orhan.

Chickens are doing well and I have to say, I don't think of chickens being particularly graceful but when one of them chases/jumps up to catch a bug flying by it's almost ballet. I could watch those girls all day.

Sep 15, 10 10:31 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I think I have figured out what to do with my old CD-Disks...recycle them into tops. I'm going to make a fortune and forget about Architecture.

Sep 15, 10 11:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: