Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

AP

vado, what is Stephanie's show called? I'd like to check it out...Radio Boise has a program schedule but they don't list the names of the hosts...

that's only 4 degrees, right? and a q-tip? thanks for the mental image.

went to see the FLW show at the Guggenheim yesterday...already trying to be a "student" for the purpose of getting cheaper tickets. It worked at the Guggenheim, but not at the Park Ave Armory on Saturday...

*The 2 windows in the lobby are typically covered in film/frosting, so you can't normally see out. It's actually quite dramatic with it open. The light that comes in is very bright relative to the rest of the rotunda...

Ernesto Neto's anthropodino at the Park Ave Armory...

Thursday is our last day in NYC, so we're trying to pack it in, while still making sure we get all of our stuff packed in time! 48 hours to go...

Jun 2, 09 11:57 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i really enjoyed my years living in brookline & commuting to work in the back bay...lots of bars...but then again, i was probably one of those conservative, stuffy types that everybody likes to complain about

Jun 2, 09 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think Boston's cost of living has come down somewhat since I was there (in 2000 it was almost as expensive as NYC), but it's still far more expensive than either Chicago or Philly.

I'm realizing that the cost of living makes a big difference for me, in terms of how much I enjoy living somewhere... I find it increasingly hard to justify paying $1400+ for a studio apartment that's smaller than the $480 apartment I got in Chicago when I moved out of my parents house 13 years ago. True, I'm making much more money now and I finally have some nice furniture instead of lawn chairs and milk crates, but even if I were to take a 50% pay cut I'd still be able to afford a much nicer apartment in Cincy than I have in NYC. I think I'm quickly reaching the point where having all the museums and bars in the world outside my door is less important to me than the home I come back to at the end of the day. Besides, I only need one or two decent bars to be happy, and I can enjoy NYC's museums just as easily during a weekend visit.

Jun 2, 09 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Yes that was exactly the realization I came to, re: cost of living.

Or, you can live in Chicago and have decent cost of living AND tons of museums and bars! ;-) Kidding, I know your thoughts on that one. ALTHOUGH I have to say I suspect your feelings toward the end of your time here were badly influenced by your unfortunate work & school situations. Primarily work situation.

Jun 2, 09 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Right AP. I just was calling it by its proper name

Stephanie's show is called AmalgamatedCoup.

I just wrote an ode to EvilPlatypus on the EvilP thread. Check it out!

Jun 2, 09 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

manta - most of us around here don't even attempt to live the lifestyle where you eat-out every night at $30 entree type places. many people I meet are simply trying to make a decent life for themselves (sure, I meet the occasional yuppie with too much money - but I'm mostly around teachers and non-profit people, so my experiences might be a bit skewed) - we sometimes eat at neighborhood restaurants, but us regular bostonians love to cook for ourselves and our extended network of friends and family.

sure it's a little expensive, but the big secret around here is that people share a lot of things (literally - last winter our block banded together to buy a snow-blower - and I am constantly borrowing stuff from my wife's family) and generally look out for each other. That's why some neighborhoods are so tight-knit - and the reason it takes a while for people to warm up to outsiders... they just want to be able to trust you with their stuff.

I guess it's a hard place to live if you don't already know someone here... but I think most outsiders only experience the expensive side of Boston that's pimped in the college brochures.

Jun 2, 09 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Work makes a big difference as well... I'm fortunate in that I have a pretty good job here in NYC doing the types of projects I enjoy (despite office annoyances). If it weren't for that, I probably would've left town last summer. If I get laid off anytime soon, I'm not sure I'd even bother looking for another job here; I'd probably be more likely to head to Cincy ASAP so that my unemployment benefits would stretch much further.

My biggest problems with Chicago have to do with geography and politics (Obama aside). I much prefer steep hillsides and rivers over wide-open cornfields, and I hated living in a city, county, and state that's utterly rotten to the core in terms of public corruption. Not that other places don't have corruption problems, but in Chicago it's so ingrained in the local culture that it seems to permeate every inch of the city like a foul odor. I don't think it will ever change until Daley is long-gone and the city charter is completely re-written from scratch, but that's another discussion.

Jun 2, 09 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

*I never met so many rednecks as when I lived in Boston. This coming from a guy who grew up surrounded by cornfields.

*This is at least the tenth time I posted this.

Jun 2, 09 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think in Boston they're called Massholes.

Jun 2, 09 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Hi all... one complete day out of Thread Central, but you know... so I've dedicated this one to all of you guys and gals out there

Jun 2, 09 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

EJ&R car 308 at the Illinois Railway Museum. I've actually driven this one.

Jun 2, 09 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Correction: CA&E (Chicago Aurora & Elgin)

Jun 2, 09 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

have u guys seen andy richters sitcom? the one with a million children? quintuplets? that sucked,its good hes back on conan

Jun 2, 09 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

so does that mean you didn't drive it then?

I feel like skipping work and head to the beach to go eat fish. But I'm supposed to be taking the admins out for a site visit ie. 3x as long as it needs to be and feeling like there's an 800lb gorilla sitting on your shoulder.

Jun 2, 09 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

LiG, meant to tell you I loved that Boeing Stratoliner pic for 307!!! I was just reading about the development of that tremendous airplane the other day. Incredible. Being a pilot back then was an edge-of-the-seat experience, that's for sure.

Jun 2, 09 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
stone

Boeing 307 Stratoliner:

I love this airplane -- only 10 were built.

Jun 2, 09 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

AP, I am so, so excited for your big move! Good luck with the last 48 hours in the Center of the Universe!

vado, thanks again for all your help. Everyone, my deadline was made much easier by his presence, and *that* to me is one of the miracles of Archinect.

techno, you are so darling to be thinking of us!

And manta, I hope you enjoy the word show - I like it, though sometimes as I said it's a little cutesy.

Off to write a proposal I should have finished last week. And pay bills (it's the 2nd already!), and email this one client and get started on the garage project and....

Amazing how a big deadline induces tunnel vision blocking out the rest of your life!

Jun 2, 09 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The Stratoliner reminds me of my favorite bit of roadside signage:

(I never pass up an excuse to post a pic of this sign.) My grandmother has been eating Sunday brunch here every week after church since before dirt was invented. I think the plane on the sign is based on the DC-8, but it has a similar shape as the Boeing 707. And the propellers actually spin.

atechno: The museum actually has about two or three old CA&E cars, and I'm pretty certain I've driven at least one of them. So there's either a 1:2 or a 1:3 chance I've driven #308. I got CA&E mixed with with EJ&E (Elgin Joliet & Eastern) which is a shortline freight railroad that still exists.

Jun 2, 09 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

stone - that plane has square windows, and thus a structural fault. I remember watching a riveting programme on the hidden design flaws of early century commercial flyers it really was eye opening/window popping.

Jun 2, 09 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Man I just poured Arm and Hammer carpet freshener/pet hair remover all over my crib and my vacuum just fucking stopped working. wtf. its almost new. I've been looking all over for the building maintenance guy to see if i can borrow his. This shit's makin me high.

Jun 2, 09 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Busy morning around here. Gosh Conan was great last night. The good news is now that I'm not working I can actually stay up to watch him.

I agree with mantaray re: Boston; however I never lived there, and my feelings about it would probably preclude me from doing so.

So, I'm doing a 45-mile bike ride on Sunday that I'm really not prepared for. I'm trying to figure out somewhere around here that I can ride to, just to keep in riding shape, but I'm surrounded by bad neighborhoods that are punctuated by hills. It's weird but my best bet is actually to ride to school and back. Like I haven't done that enough.

Jun 2, 09 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

yeah - a lot of rednecks in Boston - except they're all politically connected and on "permanent disability" from some government job.

Jun 2, 09 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

oh - that was to vado...

Jun 2, 09 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

YOu're welcome LB! You know that I'd commit crimes for you right?

Jun 2, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Like a rolling stop?

Jun 2, 09 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

For starters.

Good news my vacuum is full on sucking again.

Jun 2, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

fays.panda

that show did suck...

Jun 2, 09 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

He was in another sitcom called "Andy Richter Controls the Universe". I watched the first couple episodes and I remember thinking it had pretty good potential, but it didn't last very long.

Jun 2, 09 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

you would think Andy Richter would actually have his own animated series... but perhaps in the 80s

I'm in the office and my eyes are closing...

Jun 2, 09 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
My favorite Andy Richter bit from the old days
Jun 2, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Techno, you never answered my rum cake request. Should I take it as a no?

My cell phone is fixed. Cost me 48 bucks, and I saved the planet from a tocix phone being in the landfill. Actually, I just didnt like any of the phones I could choose from, and didnt want to renew my contract either. But nobody has to know that, right?

Jun 2, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK
Andy Richter Controls the Universe

was a really cute show. But, I think he has found his calling as Conan's announcer. That way he can help Conan do stupid skits but still have a job when they don't need him for skits.

Jun 2, 09 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Jun 2, 09 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, I'm so sorry - how rude of me, of course I'll get you a cake. In fact if I may be able to hand deliver it in August.

Jun 2, 09 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

"Controls the Universe" was not bad.

Tree, I almost had a chance to come up to Atlanta this weekend. Work got in the way.

Archi, i love rum cake!!!!

Jun 2, 09 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OMG look at the puppy suit! I want a puppy suit!

Jun 2, 09 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
the hidden design flaws of early century commercial flyers it really was eye opening/window popping

techno, that sounds FASCINATING. The book I am reading actually details the design of those planes... it's utterly fascinating to read about the design process as seen through the eyes of an airplane designer. The author doesn't shy from describing the more "trial and error" aspects of the profession (as demonstrated in the square windows) but unfortunately doesn't go into enough detail for my taste as it's mainly written for the mainstream.

stone -- i think something like 53 or 56 were built, actually? and entered service. am I remembering wrong? it was vastly outstripped by the Douglas planes of the period but i'm almost certain more than 10 were built.

lb -- i was just wondering today where we got the phrase "on the wagon" from. conjures weird images if you think about it too much, like i always do.

I wish i had a deadline companion. vado when are you moving back to the good life, anyway?

There is a vacuum store in my town that sells only vacuums and the guy who runs it will fix any of 'em. awesome. I'm forever finding weird jobs in this city that you wouldn't think would be sustainable nowadays.

Jun 2, 09 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
stone

manta -- you may be right -- I was just going on information from this source: Boeing 307 Stratoliner -- wikipedia also reports a production total of ten. but, you may have access to more authoritative information.

nevertheless, a delightful machine of its era.

Jun 2, 09 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

ha ha, perhaps I should check my source and then make my first-ever Wikipedia edit. I'm reading 747 : Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet which is great. He's got the Stratoliner tally in there, I'll check tonight.

Jun 2, 09 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I do have a notoriously bad memory though. It'll be me vs. Wikipedia. En garde!

Jun 2, 09 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

my fave : the Connie! Boy, I wish I could fly on one of these.

LiG if you ever make it back to Chicago I may be able to treat you to a special train treat. One even you've never seen.

Jun 2, 09 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

Gin I meant to ask on the previous hot blooded thread but I think I won't if you think your love for trains is an Aspie thing or are you like me just a trainspotter

Nam... I think you should come get your own cake. But I suspect I'll be bringing you one sooner, and something every true Jamaican wants. Funny when I was in Fort Lauderdale on my way back I should of called - but it was almost 1am... would of been cruel

Jun 2, 09 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Ooh Manta - what's the book title and who is it by? The books you read always sound so interesting to me.

Jun 2, 09 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Didn't the character in that movie "Once" fix vacuum cleaners? I realized that mine has an automatic shutdown so it won't overheat. Funny it just started doing this after about a year. My cat has so much fucking hair its unbelievable...

Jun 2, 09 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Yeah Cake!

I may be taking a trip to Seaside FL with the MIL. I'm researching all the possibilities now.

And books about planes dont sound good to me, but maybe its a real page turner. I could watch it on the history chanel, but their plane stories are always war related. Bah.

I've been listening to Larry Groce all day, and no its not any of HIS top hits, its part of the Disney Sing Along series. Its delightful, actually. Its old and hasnt been tainted with political correctedness. There are still 10 little Indian boys, and thats how it should be.

Jun 2, 09 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
LiG if you ever make it back to Chicago I may be able to treat you to a special train treat.... One even you've never seen.

Wow, that's a bold statement... I may have to take you up on that! I'm sure I'll be back in Chicago for a visit at some point.

atechno: I'm certain my interest in trains is one of my several Aspie obsessions, but I'm a lightweight compared to some other train buffs out there. You think the political discussions here get heated? Wait until you see the flame war that breaks out when a bunch of foamers argue about the correct brake line pressure for an R143 subway car with a Bombardier propulsion system. I just like trains and urban infrastructure, especially when architecture comes into the equation, but I generally don't get too worked up over the minute technical details, and I'm not particularly obsessed with vintage trains like steam locomotives and such.

Jun 2, 09 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

i thought 'on the wagon' had to do with being taken in the back of the 'wagon' to the drunk tank - effectively getting dried out against your will. but i don't know.

Jun 2, 09 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

i avoid wagons. too bumpy.

nam, yeah fastpass is awesome. monsters inc. ride ran out of FP tickets before we were through the front gate ( ! ). they do usually work though, and for us the day was great fun. some of my friends cringe at the idea of a day at disney, but i am not too well-educated to spurn a big ol pile of well-controlled pop culture whenever possible. can't imagine the life of poor kids who only get the opera and museums treatment ;-)

alan parsons actually was engineer for the dark side of the moon, apologies. he played a huge role in making the sound of the album, a bit like George Martin did for the beatles' stuff. or at least that is what alan says.

Jun 2, 09 9:54 pm  · 
 · 

Steven that sounds awfully painful and almost unnecessary; but having seen many tumbling drunks a wagon may be more fitting.

Okay one more vital step has been completed in becoming a registered architect in Jamaica - having my pictures stamped/signed by a justice of the peace.

Jun 2, 09 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: