Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

weird 'killa you'd think they'd have that app already?

I'm suffering here folks less that 4 hours sleep over the last 48 hours, my eyes are burning and I'm unsure if I can make the next 3 hours. Needless to say I'm not really working - but trying my darnedest to look the part

May 11, 09 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

TK - Happy to hear. As soon as I sent it off to you I remembered another project that would have been good to throw in there. Unfortunately no brochure/case study yet :o/

May 11, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well that app was strange. They kept asking how satisfied I was with my life; all I could think was "I have a college degree, and I'm filling out an application to work at Target. Yup, I'm pretty dang satisfied!" I didnt say that, though, I said I was happy.

They also asked what percentage of politicians were honest, I said 70-85%. I hope I gave them good answers, I was 'slightly more honest than most."

May 11, 09 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

God, I remember that employment application. It's like a Facebook personality quiz on steroids. I just marked down whatever answer that seemed they'd most likely want to hear, and made a point not to mention the angry voices in my head when I showed up at the interview.

May 11, 09 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Speeding towards page 300!!!

tk, I need that on my phone. For when the zombies come, of course.

Sarah, I wouldn't mind working at Target. I would use that discount WAY too much though. Just as long as you don't become like the Target lady on SNL....did anyone else see that Saturday night? Hee-larious.

May 11, 09 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

300 yet?????

May 11, 09 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

i guess not :S

· 
fays.panda

damn it!

· 
Sarah Hamilton

Are we starting the thread over? Did we come to a consensus on that? I remember it was mentioned somewhere.

May 11, 09 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

i'm not leaving this thread, ever. start a new one if you must, but i'll just talk to myself here.

May 11, 09 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

SW not to worry there are a few of us committed to play until the ship sinks (ship being archinect, the iceberg is 300 posts)

50 minutes left before I can leave work, the burning of the eyes continues, I feel like any minute now laser beams are going to come streaming out of them. And it turns out that they will be docking my pay for the days I was out - that sucks, but another reason for me to leave and go teach in September

May 11, 09 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hang in there techno - a cold beer awaits you at the end of the day (I hope)! I'm off to have one now...

May 11, 09 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

wk- apply here to warm up for GB

May 11, 09 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'll stick around if you guys do!

Almost there!

May 11, 09 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

You people can't get rid of me that easily. I'm sticking around here, too.

May 11, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Almost....

May 11, 09 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

There!

· 
Living in Gin
 · 
****melt

I guess this thread didn't implode. YAY!!

Time to continue on.

May 11, 09 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
tonight we dine in hell????

is it halloween again...or did i miss something?

May 11, 09 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LiG, excellent image post! No matter WHAT the page number, Gerard Butler's abs are a great image!

May 11, 09 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

God that was a great movie. <drools slightly>

May 11, 09 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I've never seen it. Yay three hundred! Do you think it's posssible for the number of pages to get so large that they fill up the whole page only allowing a few posts per page thereby exponantially increasing the number of pages?

May 11, 09 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

ah ha ha ha, LiG, you were totally waiting to use that one. Nice!

p.s. I always lurk here even if I'm quiet lately. I always have lots to say and start typing long posts and then Safari or my computer will quit before I can post them, or I find them days later and it's too late, or something.

I had a lot to say re: WK's musings on whether to move to Hawaii or not, though. But it's all good now!

Anyway : hi there.

May 11, 09 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Did you guys see this design, which was linked to the page that LiG linked to? Interesting!

Also, SH -- I have also really enjoyed my retail experiences in life -- to be honest, in terms of day-to-day enjoyment (as opposed to "fulfillment" or "life satisfaction") I actually enjoyed them MORE than working in architecture. Ahh, life... anyway, in case it makes you feel better, Target has a rep for treating its employees well (it's those good midwestern values). Both the Target and the Costco ($22 an hour for cashiers!) in my town had waiting lists to work there.

May 11, 09 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

Gin wise minds, I had that image cued up to post as well, but missed my chance as I was fiddling with the connection. Also LB I have a wee man crush on that dude as well, the beard the abs - shoot even the 80 yo guy in the film had a six pack and a golden tan.

May 11, 09 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
<sigh>

I think we're losing - already lost the software battle, next brand designers, and product designers, and soon the war.

May 11, 09 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

now I know what I want on my next archinect shirt

May 11, 09 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

the abs stole my thunder!

May 12, 09 5:26 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

and that cardboard office is amazing!!!

May 12, 09 5:27 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yeah, the cardboard office is very cool.

This morning the local TV station had a story on new roundabouts being installed in the burbs; the music accompanying the story was Ratt's Round and Round. I laughed.

May 12, 09 7:10 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well that office was pretty cool, but I dont know about the little loft; not sure I would trust it. And what happens if you spill your coffee?

Husband wants me to take the 3 day revit training class - has anyone done this? Is it worth the cost? I'm balking at the price, but Husband has never been one to spare expense on me.

May 12, 09 8:26 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Wow, that cardboard furniture is amazing. My only question is how does it get it's strength to hold up ransom stuff.

$22 an hour? Seriously? Shit, I'm in the wrong line of work. Unfortunately my knees couldn't handle my brief stint in retail :o/ SH - I think it's a great idea, if it doesn't cause too many problems with the schedule.

May 12, 09 8:27 am  · 
 · 

LB, all i can say is "Motherlovin"....... hahahahaha

Also, never saw 300.

Plus, it is hard to believe that is cardboard. The lines are fairly retro too, i think..

May 12, 09 8:57 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i would post about my 5k, but embarrassment keeps me from revealing my stupidity, needless to say it did not happen.

oh, if there is war with others using "architect" perhaps we could get Gary Sinise to do a tribute?

May 12, 09 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Beta, now you HAVE to tell us.

And, huh? I dont get the gary joke.

May 12, 09 9:44 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sarah's coffee question seems to point out a serious design flaw in a cardboard office.

I'm overtired of design. I need to come up with a better word for what I do. It's not really architecture. I think it's a word like "manage" or "organize", but with both a glamorous AND a utilitarian intent.

Hmmm......

May 12, 09 9:59 am  · 
 · 

carboard is way cool that way. i make all kinds of stuff from cardboard. it is very strong if you know how to use it. our coffee table, painted with supreme ability by my oldest daughter is all cardboard except for some wood in the joints, and simply finished with a coat of clear urethane. we spill on it all the time and it wipes up no worries.

May 12, 09 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Cardboard is as strong as any other solid material when you laminate multiple sheets together. i participated in a design charette in high school in which we built full size gazebos out of cardboard. Other students made furniture for the spaces.

And this might be common knowledge, but, LIG, how did you time the arrival of page 300 so accuratey?

May 12, 09 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

DapNap, you have to look at the post count on the discusions page.

Can you still call it cardboard if its laminated? Doesnt that make it laminate, or press board?

And Lb, what about manage', or organize' (those are supose to be accents ala the new stupid McDs comercial) I think you should say "Liberty Belle Design Group - Architecting Spaces since 19XX"

May 12, 09 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

SH - Maybe you already know enough about it to take the course, but I'd recommend recreating one or more of your designs from school or work in Revit instead of going to a training session for now. That way you'll be more familiar with the software, so if you do take the course, it'll be more useful.

May 12, 09 11:53 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

The Revit course sounds really valuable, Sarah. I could probably use one instead of fumbling around in it, but if you can afford it, go for it.

I had another phone interview this morning, this time with a company in Denver. Totally did not expect to hear from this company but they seem to really like my work. Perhaps third time's the charm? I like Denver a lot. I could live there. I'm just a little flabbergasted because every time I try to make a plan, another wrench gets thrown into it. Sometimes it's a burden being such a planner! I will keep you posted.

May 12, 09 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Yeah, I cant figure revit out. I cant figure sketchup out either. I went to a friends house the other night - he does paintles-dent-repair for a living, and HE was able to build his house in sketchup. I must over think things. I'll try recreating one of my designs in revit, though, thats a good idea.

May 12, 09 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Dapper - There are 100 posts per "page"

May 12, 09 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I knew it was something simple...

@ SH, by laminate I mean just cardboard and glue, so it's still really just cardboard to me. I'm working on sketchup too and what's helping me is to think "draw and pull" Everytime you draw a line it makes a new face and you just manipulate faces by pulling or pushing. I agree with Slart to use one of your own projects to recreate in revit/or sketchup. I'm learning it much faster this way rahter than drawing from the guided lessons.

May 12, 09 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'd pay money to see the look on the fire marshall's face when he walks into an office made of cardboard.

May 12, 09 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

so I was just reminded that tonight is the institute of architects gig at the hip new lounge. It will be most entertaining watching these old farts gaze at the young scantily clad gents/ladies

May 12, 09 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Which begs the question, techno, which group are you in? I know you're not old and farty, so I'm guessing you'll be scantily clad? ;-)

May 12, 09 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

haha, LiG poses an important question, I just laughed for five minutes

May 12, 09 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

I'll be scantily clad when I have abs like Gerard Butler

May 12, 09 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: