Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet?

ApatheticPanda

Those of you waiting on University of Illinois (champaign) I just got an acceptance letter into their track 2 program.

It was a tiny envelope with 1 peice of paper inside (had me worried).

The thing that upset me upon opening it was that the letter was dated for Feb. 28th, but was post dated for March 30th.

Oh well, this was probably the only school I'll get into this year (not very optimistic about Cincy anymore) and have until April 15th to make up my mind. Work.... or Play?

Apr 1, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
joe architect

Hello to everyone once again. I just wanted to share some information to people who did not get in or are having a hard time getting in anywhere.

I had a friend get rejected from UW and mentioned that 450 people applied for 50 spots.

UT-Austin had over 650 people apply.

A friend of a friend applied to UCLA, UC-Berkeley and UPENN last year and got into all. Unfortunaly, decided to work another year and re-apply getting into 0 this year.

For what ever reason there seems to be a huge spike in grad. apps. this year. I do not know if this is due to the housing market leveling off, more people are graduating from architecture schools, people just applying to over 10 or probaly a combination of all three; either way I thought people might want to know this as to not get too discouraged.

Apr 2, 06 8:25 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

Got the letter from MIT. Half tuition awarded! Definitely going. Fuckin' awesome.

Apr 2, 06 10:16 am  · 
 · 
autonomous

0 for 3 this year. pretty discouraged. guess i'm going to work

Apr 2, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

Also got rejected from Penn.

Apr 2, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 
erasmus

Any rumors/insight on Yale? I may or maynot make the open house on the 6th, so I need to gather information where I can.

Apr 2, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Andrea316

what are you choosing between erasmus? and what sort of info do you want?

Apr 2, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
msmith84

I will most likely be attending Penn's open house, primarily to assess my housing options.

Apr 2, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

ASU (CAED) HELP!

I applied to ASU's 3+ M.Arch program and I have not heard anything yet....has anyone recieved a decision from them yet?

Also, I have read/heard that their grad school program is mostly design oriented rather than theory oriented. Any students, alumni or other applicants out their that can elaborate on the programs specialties, ideas, and overall reputation. Thanks.

Apr 2, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
GT+...:(

I applied to ASU's 2 year M.Arch program and haven't heard anything back as well. What kind of operation do they have. I've got deadlines and decisions to make. I'm also waiting for Virgina Tech.

Apr 2, 06 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
erasmus

I am most interested in studio life and the student/teacher relationship. I know Yale attracts a lot of big name architects to teach studio, and I want to know how that affects the culture. I can see potential problems if they only fly in a few times during the semester to add their two cents. I visited campus last summer, but it was between semesters so I didn't get to talk to any students or teachers. Unfortunately, everything I "know" is based on hearsay and Midwestern bias (which means I know nothing).

Yale is the only school I have been accepted to, but I am waitlisted at MIT. From what I hear, the chance of getting into MIT off the waitlist is slim this year, so I am basically deciding between Yale and CAD operator. While I intend to practice architecture professionally, I am leaning more towards teaching as my primary interest so I would rather start grad school. I am 95% sure I will be attending Yale next fall, but I want to know what I am getting myself into before I show them the money. I thought I knew what to expect from my undergrad but four years later I feel a little cheated, so I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Apr 2, 06 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

Rice usually doesn't send out their stuff until April 1 which means that starting Monday, you guys will know. Since their application deadline is February 1st and they don't look at portfolios until spring break, it makes since that they accept on April 1. I'm surprised that ASU hasn't sent out their stuff yet since last year I heard from them in early March. My guess is that they sent it out on April 1. Many schools do that. UT did that last year as well.

Apr 2, 06 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
tenex

Why do some schools wait so long? I am 3 for 4, and haven't heard from ASU. At this point I won't even consider ASU since I am down to 3 schools and I would be happy attending any of them....And doesnt ASU start this summer? Its just too close for comfort!

Apr 2, 06 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

tenex-
i agree with you about asu. i applied to the two year master's program, and haven't heard a word yet. it seems to me that in the end this could hurt the school, since some of the people who thay accept may have already discounted for other school because they took so long. oh well, hopefully this week.

Apr 2, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
antifr

what do you guys think MIT's strength or attraction?

I got into GSAPP and MIT, but what I focus on most is DESIGN, so I think GSAPP may be a little bit better choice than MIT.. but I really wanna know what you think about this.

Apr 2, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdp

strugs and puffed-
i was accepted to all three west coast schools i applied to... and mit. i was rejected from penn and yale- i am still trying to figure out if all this means anything. must have had something in that ap that was appealing to the west coast more than the east. not terribly surprising to me, but still... i grew up in ct.
i am having a really tough time with my decision. how does one pass up mit? on the other hand, ubc, uw and berkeley all have draws... big ones.
ps- i am in nyc/ non-arch background

Apr 3, 06 2:05 am  · 
 · 
puffed

mdp - it just means that Penn and Yale admissions ppl were in a bad mood when they saw your application while the peeps from the West coast and MIT were in a good mood. Mine was the opposite, I got rejected from the West coast (except UBC), and got into Penn. I am 99% sure I will be at Penn, unless I get off the Harvard waitlist.

Also, mdp, I would go to MIT, can not pass up on that one for sure.

For those of you who are going to Penn for sure, is anyone interested in gathering emails so we can communicate regarding housing and the like? If you are interested, please send me an email and I could make an email list up and forward it to interested Penn people.

Apr 3, 06 4:12 am  · 
 · 
strugs

yo mdp -- congrats on getting into those schools...yeah, I can't believe how hard this decision-process is -- I thought Columbia would be such a clear pick for me, but something is really drawing me towards UCLA right now...I guess I still have a few weeks to pull it together....maybe now that the weather is a bit nicer on the east coast, I can factor sunshine out of the equation and look at both schools in a different 'light'...

Apr 3, 06 9:10 am  · 
 · 
brujitadulce

RICE news came on Saturday - official "no thank you" - nicer than the Penn rejection letter. Rice was filling 12 spots for first professional - they said in the letter.

so UT Austin it is!

Apr 3, 06 9:16 am  · 
 · 
joe architect

Brujitadulce, you live in Texas if I remmeber correctly, right?

Apr 3, 06 9:20 am  · 
 · 
brujitadulce

yep - i'm in austin - so the mail will take longer to get to the rest of you, i'm sure. good luck!

Apr 3, 06 11:31 am  · 
 · 

apparently my rejection letter from MIT got lost in the mail. i called this morning to ask for like the third time about when i would be hearing. i also live in boston, so it was weird that i hadn't heard. they told me over the phone that i "had not been considered." well at least now i know. very sad though. first choice.

Apr 3, 06 11:36 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

8888, sorry about that. I was following your progress because we applied to so many of the same schools.

This is how it broke down for me, in chronological order:

UWashington - accepted
Yale - rejected
UT Austin - accepted
UC Berkeley - rejected
MIT - accepted
UPenn - rejected

50%...makes me question how well I'll do at MIT...which is probably a bad mindset to get into. I need to start developing an architects ego.

Apr 3, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
bdonn

just got into penn.

still no word from gsd or columbia...

Apr 3, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 

guiggster were you at the UW open house?

here's my breakdown:
UW- accepted
Parsons - accepted
UPenn - accepted
Berkeley - rejected
MIT - rejected
Yale - rejected
GSD - rejected
UTA - rejected

people who haven't heard - call the schools and tell them you haven't heard! things get lost in the mail even when you live less than a mile from said school.

Apr 3, 06 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

8888, I won't be able to go to any open houses as I am currently in Japan. In fact, I will never have visited any of those schools...except UPenn which I visited briefly two summers ago.

Which school are leaning towards 8888? Wanna find me a nice cheap place to live in Boston before you leave? It's starting to give me some anxiety.

Apr 3, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
bdonn

8888--sorry to hear about how things went down with MIT...

this should be the last week of all this madness though...

i am going to call the schools after lunch

Apr 3, 06 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

guiggster, i'm not sure which way i'm leaning. i visited parsons and uw this past weekend. i did not like parsons at all. uw i thought i would like more than i did. its not that i explicitly didn't like anything as much as i just didn't get the vibe i thought i would. i wanted to like it but it just didn't feel right. i'm going to visit penn on monday and if i don't feel great about penn either i'm just going to have to close my eyes and jump. i'll pick one and see how it works out. i can always drop out i suppose...

and for housing, nice and cheap in boston just don't go hand in hand. expect to pay at least 6-700 for something decent. and that would be shared with roommates. studios and one beds in the areas that you'd want to live in go for at least 1100. and that's minimum. but if you're interested, email me and i'll give you some pointers on neighborhoods and websites for listings.

Apr 3, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

Regarding ASU I called and they said it should be up when you log into ASU Interactive sometime this week and if it's not they said to call them. Are they too freaking lazy to send out a goddamn email or something. I'm giving them to the end of the week as well. I've got other decisions to make without that place being considered. Memo to ASU next year: Get with the program!

Apr 3, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

I'm really surprised at ASU this year. Last year they were the first school I heard from for acceptance and money. This will certainly hurt because who wants to go to a school who can't communicate this to the students. That's too bad because the program is moving in a strong direction.

Apr 3, 06 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
sita

whats up with UCLA???? this is borderline ridiculous
i am still waiting too -
others in this position are you 4 year Arch people???

i actually am at the point of not caring
wasnt the open house on saturday

i heard from everyone else and the decision making is tough enough

Apr 3, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
sita

whats up with UCLA???? this is borderline ridiculous
i am still waiting too -
others in this position are you 4 year Arch people???

i actually am at the point of not caring
wasnt the open house on saturday

i heard from everyone else and the decision making is tough enough

Apr 3, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

I just got good news from Rice. I live in Texas, and the letter was sent March 31.

Right now I'm choosing between UT-Austin and Rice. Both are 2.5 years. Does anybody have any thoughts or insights into each program?

Apr 3, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

This is my first time posting here...

Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on choosing between schools. The three I have been accepted into are:

RISD
SCI-ARC
Pratt

Apr 3, 06 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
pmic

I just received a call from Joel Sanders and Bob Stern saying that my application was "mishandled" and I was accepted to Yale so my final break down:

Yale-a
MIT-a
GSD-a
Ga Tech-a
Columbia-r

Now, I need to figure out what to do about MIT's open house? I already commited thinking I was rejected. I still want to go, is anybody talking with Marilyn at Yale fri.?

Apr 3, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
sita

OK people waiting for UCLA
i just talked to a human being
she asked who i was
looked something up
then said - we're still making decisions
we'll know by the end of the week

so - we're in a special second-string tier is my guess

Apr 3, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
erasmus

pmic, I might be at the Yale open house on Thursday. I can fill you in if there is anything you want to know and I end up making the drive. 85% sure I will be there.

Apr 3, 06 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

has anyone still not heard from sciarc? what's there deal?? not that I'm banking on them...

Apr 3, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

mab82-

i heard from sci-arc on thursday (04/30/06) with an email and a package in the mail. I live in New Mexico, so it's pretty close. My letter from Pratt was dated the same day as SCI-ARC and I just received it today, so it might take a little longer depending on where you live.

Apr 3, 06 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

randar82 - thanks, I live in Seattle, which isn't terribly far away... there/their... my lord, i need to be back in school

Apr 3, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

for those who can't make it to MIT's open house on Thursday and are opting out of the GSD open house - call the office at MIT, as there will be a smaller student-led tour on Friday

Apr 3, 06 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
tenex

GT+....:(
ASU definately needs to get with the program....I guess I am rejecting them, rather than the other way around. They are giving people absolutely NO time whatsoever to consider attending since their program starts with a summer session.

Apr 3, 06 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Sita-

I feel your pain. Still haven't heard from UCLA and almost don't care at this point. The webpage says that UT has accepted me but I haven't recieved anything yet. Anyone else in this boat as well?

GSD-r
UT-A??
OSU-A
UCLA ?????

Apr 3, 06 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

A lot of schools don't send out their stuff until April 1 so it isn't uncommon for people to still be waiting. It shouldn't be tough to ask schools for a deadline if you haven't heard from everyone. I know it seems late but this is normal and occurs every year.

Apr 3, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

Well the long awaited Columbia rejection letter came today. MSAAD. Not sure how I feel about that one. Would have been a stretch of resources, both financial and personal, but I would have liked to be holding an acceptance all the same. A little peace of mind is though. Now the debate is down to 3 schools. One of which, UCLA, I have yet to hear from. I also called UCLA today and pointed out that the open house was happening as we were speaking to eachother (Jim Kies). He had no answer for that and just said that the next round of reviews would happen soon. Good lord!!!

I am secretly glad that UCLA is getting stomped by Florida right now. Or maybe not so secretly.

Apr 3, 06 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
vigggo

Rice sent an acceptance email today, and I received the letter today. So thats good news, now the problem is deciding between half-off Rice (and Option 2), or no money at Columbia (MArch 1).

Visiting both to make the decision.

Apr 4, 06 12:21 am  · 
 · 
meMarch

This is crazy.. No word from Pratt, Sci-ARC, UCLA or GSD!! I understand that the mail is slow, coming all the way to Turkey but what about e-mails??? Has anyone applied to GSD's M.DesS program by the way?? And does anyone have any idea about USC?? I got accepted to USC with 18k financial aid and Parsons too..

Congrats to everyone who's left this thread already and moved onto a new 'decision making' one.. Everyone else, I feel your pain!

Apr 4, 06 3:22 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

anyone from AA here ? ...

any idea when i'd hear from them .. i understand that the school is closed now for easter? ... i got a mail saying that they'd open on 19th ... and 30th is the last date !!

Apr 4, 06 4:50 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

final tally:

yale-rej
rice-wait
sciarc-wait
u cinci-acc
miami ohio-acc

so, on the rice letter it said i am on a "special" wait list.

This means they a.) have multiple lists, which is silly. b.) do not typically have a list, but have chosen to this year. or c.) are taking the used car salesman approach of using false or unneccesary modifiers.

did anyone get on the normal list or are we all special?

Apr 4, 06 8:53 am  · 
 · 

Tenex, the summer session is for M.Arch students with no Arch background right? If not there is no way in hell I'm going there and they've got alot of nerves. Also I sent in a decline to Sci-arc to get off the waiting list, and so for anyone on the list, maybe that will help, or not.

Apr 4, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: