Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet?

geland

The final tally:

Columbia, GSD, and Yale: rejected
SCIArc + UCLA: accepted

I visited both SCIArc and UCLA on my own. After seeing each school, I will be attending SCIArc next fall. It felt like a much better personal fit for me. I'm looking forward to getting back into the studio atmosphere after a year of its absence. If you are going to SCIArc next year, I'll be seeing you there!!

Apr 5, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
tgv11

gyuwuli

Definately go to the GSD...far better resources and opportunities.

Columbia should be your secondary. Yale last. If you're going to Yale's open house tomorrow, make sure to ask about the school's move (YSOA is moving into a swing space next year)...which of course won't cause any headaches or problems.

Apr 5, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Just in case there are a few people still wondering, both SCIArc and Columbia told me today that all of their responses have been posted as of Tuesday.

On the other hand, UIC has said that they will not complete consideration until May 15.

Apr 5, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

tgv11 ... YSOA will not be moving into a swing space next (i.e. 2006-2007) academic year. As far as I know, I am keeping my desk on the 4th floor studio level all of next year (and noone has yet told me to move). The A+A library will be moving to a swing space on Crown street, and renovations, etc will not begin until the 2007-2008 academic year (which is next year, yes, but not the next academic year).

Apr 5, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
dmc

can anyone give me some last minute details about the yale open house? i'm waitlisted so i'm totally out of the loop. just the basic when & where. some directions would help too -- i'll be coming by train from NYC. thanks a lot!

Apr 5, 06 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
liznieve

ok, so i have just decided on RISD over berkeley, sci-arc and columbia.

any other RISD m.archs out there?

Apr 5, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
dmc

liznieve,

im 99% going to RISD. going to visit next thurs. just curious, what made you go for it over columbia?

archinecters out there, please send me yale info.... i'm gonna be lost in connecticut... and i'm gonna start singing that awful celine dion song "all by myself"... and that's gonna hurt....

Apr 5, 06 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
liznieve

dmc - i found that after speaking with a number of march alums from both schools and visiting both schools that RISD is more into teaching through guiding you, that is, encouraging your own direction, voice, opinions etc etc. whereas columbia seemed much more into starchitects preaching at you then having their TAs teach studio. that was just my perception and perhaps i am wrong, but regardless i think RISD is just the place for me.

plus, columbia fin aid sucks big fat ass. just throwing that out there.

but even if the fin aid was the same, i feel i might have still chosen RISD.

Apr 5, 06 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

liznieve -- did you get scholarships or grants from RISD? I really wanted to go to RISD, but all I got was a hefty set of loans and a teeny lil' work study offer -- I guess the cost of living would be a bit lower in Providence, but I was still a bit scared of 150k in loans...

Apr 6, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 
liznieve

strugs - i got about $15k/yr in grants then the rest in loans and work-study. which, granted, is not by any means a free ride, is certainly better than paying $35k/yr plus nyc living expenses. i knew columbia's fin aid would be shit when they demanded my parents' financial information despite the fact that they have financially disowned me because of my desire to persue architecture (as opposed to medicine).

Apr 6, 06 9:05 am  · 
 · 
frozenmusic

My final tally for this year (MArch II - post prof.):

GSD - rejected (1 1/2 yr.)
Princeton - rejected (1 1/2 yr.)
Penn - accepted + 11k (1 yr. - 2 sem.)

(I'm an int'l student by the way)

Also 3 questions which maybe of relevance to many of you:

1. Which grad programs are most hands-on (practice+design & construction technology) instead of just theory, diagrams and abstract experimental forms?

2. Any thoughts on Penn & where it falls in that first question?!

3. Any idea on schools that invlove the teaching of CATIA/Digital Project as part of the grad program?

Apr 6, 06 9:10 am  · 
 · 
frozenmusic

My final tally for this year (MArch II - post prof.):

GSD - rejected (1 1/2 yr.)
Princeton - rejected (1 1/2 yr.)
Penn - accepted + 11k (1 yr. - 2 sem.)

(I'm an int'l student by the way)

Also 3 questions which maybe of relevance to many of you:

1. Which grad programs are most hands-on (practice+design & construction technology) instead of just theory, diagrams and abstract experimental forms?

2. Any thoughts on Penn & where it falls in that first question?!

3. Any idea on schools that invlove the teaching of CATIA/Digital Project as part of the grad program?

Apr 6, 06 9:10 am  · 
 · 
strugs

liznieve -- Congrats on the RISD scholarship, I am definitely jealous! I also could not believe Columbia required that info on their scholarship form -- I have been off the parental payroll for many years now, so I was definitely taken aback when they said they needed that info -- I asked them if the info was necessary if someone decided to go back to school when they were 50, and they seemed tom imply that it was...I guess they expect people to raid their parents' retirement accounts or take mom n' pop out of the nursing home to help fund a Columbia education...

Apr 6, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

To all those waiting on UCLA, I was notified that I was waitlisted by email yesterday afternoon (~4pm pacific). Email said the list is about ten people big. I know there are a lot still waiting--may want to check your email, call, or check the website. good luck.

Apr 6, 06 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
formz

Switch and Asauer: see you in may at Tech.

Apr 6, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
meta

those of you who got into sciarc. which program is it?

two headed boy, liznieve and the rest..

Apr 6, 06 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

meta - 3yr. MAch1

Apr 6, 06 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

now WHY haven't I heard from SCI-Arc?? am I the only one who has yet to hear??? jeebus.

Apr 6, 06 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
switcheroo

sweet, formz! now we have to win over tenex...she's faltering.

Apr 6, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
meMarch

Those who were accepted to SCI-Arc, do they send e-mails too? Or just regular mail? Pratt and SCI-Arc are the only ones I have still not heard from..I'll probably get rejections at this point right?

Anyone going to Parsons? That's probably where I'm going next Fall..

Apr 6, 06 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

Good stuff future g techers (formz, switheroo)...tenex you still thinking NOLA...

Apr 6, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

no mail AGAIN from sci-arc, broke down and called again - I was waitlisted. worth giving a call if you haven't heard from them.

Apr 6, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
ethan.k

I have been accepted to SCI-Arc(M.Arch1)...And, regarding admission decision, I sent the email to Admissions Director on Monday, but I have not heard anything from them....Should I call them, or just wait until they get back to me?....I hope they are considering what I requested them....Wondering how quickly they respond? Anyone who got the response bv email for questions. Damn, I am sick of waiting.....Thanks...

Apr 6, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

no

Apr 6, 06 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i haven't

· 
vado retro

anything

· 
vado retro

as of yet

Apr 6, 06 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

but i am

· 
vado retro

at least

· 
vado retro

going to be

Apr 6, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

excited to be

Apr 6, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the 2000th post...

Apr 6, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
thefission

First Post:

Sci-arc -accepted
UCLA-WL

advice? I've visited both schools but don't know what the chances of my getting off the waitlist at UCLA are...they say there's only ten people on it, but still......

Apr 6, 06 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

Is anyone else thinking,
'I wonder how many posts this 'Accepted to Grad Schools Yet?'
is going to go to?

Is it time to start taking bets?

Apr 6, 06 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
gillespie

i am thinking that the grad schools thread next year will not even be able to compare with the neurotic + borderline psychotic tendancies that this year's crop so eloquently expresses.

i am proud to count myself in this esteemed ( although mentally troubled ) group.

if vado can control his impulse to reach milestone posts, i think this tread will top out around 2150.

Apr 6, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Just stopping in, haven't been here since at least page 15 or 16. Did I miss anything? No? I didn't think so. :o)

Congrats to everyone on their persistance!

Apr 6, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Or persistence, even.

Apr 6, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

YES

Apr 7, 06 3:53 am  · 
 · 
tgv11

Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

YSOA IS MOVING to the university's new sculpture building next year (for one academic year...the 2007-2008 academic year) and then moving back. The library is moving to a seperate swing space. Its even worse than I thought. Why would anyone go to Yale when they have the option to go to Princeton or the GSD? Boston-Cambridge vs. New Haven? I also heard YSOA went on another GSD bashing tear...I wonder why?

Apr 7, 06 8:34 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

tgv11 ... We are on the same page ... incoming M.Arch i's will spend their first year in the A+A building (the 2006-2007 academic year), and move the next year.

As for the latter part of your post, are you asking specifically why I chose to live in New Haven? If you are wondering about the Yale vs. Princeton vs. Harvard thing, there are plenty of ancillary posts that deal with that topic.

GSD-bashing? I've been at Yale for a while, and I have not encountered such a thing ...

Apr 7, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Ok, just got my final response. My tally:

School of the Art Institute Chicago: Accepted with fellowship
SCIArc: Accepted
IIT: Accepted

UIC: rejected
Berkeley: rejected
Columbia: says they didn't review my application because they didn't get my GRE scores

So it looks like I'm going to saic. Actually, I'm pretty psyched, I think they are doing really interesting things curriculum wise, and their new facility looks pretty well stocked.

Apr 7, 06 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

so did columbia refund you your application fee? :\

Apr 7, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I was so floored I didn't reallly ask -- but that's a good idea.

Apr 7, 06 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

My application OOPS!: not sending in the mystery scholarship application to Columbia because I didn't know that it existed. Seriously, how did I miss it?

They will assume that you've made your fortune through interning if they don't receive this. Better luck next year kthx!

Apr 7, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

for anyone applying for grad school in the future, thought i'd share my insights and things learned about the application process.

1. applied to 6 schools in the US, 3 schools requested my fafsa information early (march 1 - 15). 3 schools did not. i was rejected by the schools that did not, and their letter came the last week of april. acceptance letters came earlier.

2. my friend who went to yale was on the selection committee and told me that an applicant's fate is decided by two people (1 student, 1 professor) who give you the ultimate yes, no, or maybe. maybes go another round, but that's it. it is a game of roullette so i would encourage people to reapply if they don't get in the first time.

3. UC schools (berkely/UCLA are as, if not more selective than ivy leagues since it is so cheap to go their, so don't assume that they are a good fall back school). I didn't apply there, but a friend got accepted to Columbia and GSD, but did not get accepted to UCLA or Berkeley. Again, it's a roullette game.

btw, I am going to accept to SCIARC MARch II. If anyone else is accepting that program, hit me up.

Apr 7, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

p.s., i meant last week of march, not april.

Also, ga techers. went there for undergrad. some great and interesting people to know there are ellen dunham-jones and doug allen. you should also check out studio da who have been doing some cool stuff with the grad program.

Apr 7, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
odp1

tgv11 : "Why would anyone go to Yale when they have the option to go to Princeton or the GSD? Boston-Cambridge vs. New Haven?"

------------

With all due respect, if you're even asking that question then it's no wonder you're confused.

All three are very different schools in just about every respect. They all have excellent reps, but the GSD's is probably the most highly regarded in the profession. Princeton is tiny (<10 per class), Yale is large (<50), Harvard is extra-large (<70). Princeton on average offers the best financial aid. Yale is pluralistic, while Harvard is often quite the opposite, according to complaints from GSD students. The GSD is in the best location (assuming you like large cities like most architecture students). Yale seems to have the best equipment, although Princeton might have the best per capita. Harvard is competitive, Yale and Princeton are collaborative. Princeton is the most interdisciplinary and experimental, the GSD is the least.

None of these things (except maybe rep and facilities) indicate absolute superiority, it totally depends on each individual's preferences.

Apr 8, 06 6:48 am  · 
 · 
tgv11

odp1 smokety

I know the size and scope of all three....and know each program has certain strengths and weaknesses...but a series of external forces will and have played a major role in each school's success. Firstly, The case to go to YSOA is even weaker than usual because of the school's upcoming move. Every move has its problems and dilutes the capacity and strength of the school....no matter how strong the program is to begin with. YSOA postpone this inevitable move until they had no other choice but to leave Rudolph's building (the mechnical systems at YSOA broke down this year and you'll find faculty members constantly complaining that there's "no air" in the building....what a great studio environment...a work space that makes you woosy. And secondly, the school's setting plays a major role in the strength of the program too. The GSD has the resources of Cambridge-Boston at their front door and a nice duality with MIT. Princeton is in a nice college town setting between NYC and Philly. Yale is in New Haven, which although has made some considerable progress in the last 5 years. Is still a struggling post-industrial city along the ugly I-95 corridor...and has very few resources and opportunities compared to the GSD and Princeton

Apr 8, 06 10:16 am  · 
 · 
erasmus

Be careful what you say about post-industrial cities. I've spend my undergrad in Detroit (the poster child for "hell holes") and I don't think I would want to be in a clean, established town. Sure, they're safe and fun to live in and you have a better chance at landing a great job, but the opportunity to actually implement some of the stuff you think about in school is harder to come by. You build something and drop it off in Detroit, even downtown now that we are post-Super Bowl, it will stay there and actually be used for weeks or months before the city takes it or the bums salvage it. Like tgv11 said, though, there are very few resources in these cities so the funding has to come out of your own pocket or you have rely on the strength of the community.

So, what I am trying to say is America's post-industrial cities are great places to analyze what is wrong with society and figure out how (and actually try) to fix it. Of course it all depends on what you are comfortable with and what your ambitions are. Established cities offer so much to see and do, but I would rather help the ugly I-95 cooridor. Might as well give a little to the poor before you add to the opulence of the rich. But I'm just a student, and I dream a lot.

Apr 8, 06 11:35 am  · 
 · 
jumpy

A question for anyone accepted to UT Austin. I didn't recieve any financial info in my letter. Does this mean I don't get any or does it come later.

Apr 8, 06 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: