Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet?

mn

osu- i just called UCLA, after they put me on hold for 10 min i really thought I was about to hear if i got in over the phone, anyway she said that i'll find out probably within a day... i think there is still hope...but the whole open house thing being this weekend is really annoying, right?
oh well.

Mar 30, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
mn

i was replying to jumpy actually, sorry

Mar 30, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
GT+...:(

Joe,
Clemson emailed me saying they were sorry they had not sent out a mailing by now and it was due to some in-house problems. They said the mailing would be sent in the next couple of weeks but they attached a .doc file which basically said I was excepted and it showed me the offers they made me for financial aid. The open house is the 17th of April. I'm in Florida.

Mar 30, 06 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

skeerd - I'm sure this has been asked before, but where are you?? I've been (impatiently!) waiting for some letter from the sci-arc world... maybe today will be my day...

Mar 30, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
skeerd

mab82 - i'm in los angeles. not sure what the postmark date is because the package went to my parents' house.

meta - i don't know anything about the waitlist system at sciarc, sorry

joe - don't know the terms of the loan, i doubt they'll give that information until i accept their offer of admissions but i haven't seen the package yet so who knows

good luck

Mar 30, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

I am in California (southern) and recieved my sci-arc acceptance package yesterday. The letter was dated 3-27. My acceptance is conditional on me completing their Meaning + Making program this summer. I thought that was really odd because I did Career Discovery last year and have a 5 yr. Bach. of Landscape Architecture degree. Does anyone have experience with negotiating the terms of an acceptance? Anyways, for the record, this is where I'm at so far (MArch1):

accepted:
UPenn
SCI-Arc
OSU
CCA

No word yet from:
GSD
Columbia
UCLA

I think UCLA is just late, but Ive lost hope on gsd and columbia. The threads from last year don't indicate anyone getting accepted to those schools after this date. Somebody please prove me wrong! Im actually really happy about penn but Columbia would be a nice suprise.

Mar 30, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
meMarch

Congrats to everyone who got acceptances!!

No word from UCLA, SCI-Arc, GSD or Pratt.. I'm in Turkey so maybe it's the mail taking its time or I should start waiting for the rejections by now.. Has anyone from overseas heard anything from any of these yet?? I know UCLA and GSD have already posted acceptances but have they posted them all??
I've made it into Parsons and USC though.. Obviously I'm not making it to any of the open-houses. Does anyone have any idea about how USC School of Architecture is?? They're offering 18k. I'm clueless about USC, don't remember why I applied, so please please let me know if any of you guys know anything..

Mar 30, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
joe architect

does anyone know the open house date for Rice? They must atleast have to tell people a week before, right? *ulcer*

Mar 30, 06 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

meMarch-
i have received both an email and an acceptance package in the mail from ucla. however, my online account still says that no decision has been made on my application. i think that this is due to ucla's university decision process. once the architecture school accepts, they must recommend you for admission to the overall university as well. i wouldn't put too much stock in the online decision status yet. good luck!

Mar 30, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

i just heard from sci-arc thru email

Mar 30, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
samsonoio

Has anyone still not heard from MIT?

My stats, thus far, for MArch I:

UOregon: Accepted
GSD: Accepted
UPenn: Accepted
MIT: ?????

Mar 30, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

sci-arc emails?? another thing to obsess over... :-(

Mar 30, 06 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
whitllam

Received acceptance to SCI-Arc today via BFE (big fat envelope) and email, with advanced placement into the M.arch II program (I have a 4-yr B.arch). For those applied/accepted to both UCLA and SCI-Arc, SCI-Arc is holding an "informal" open house and facility tour on Sat. 4/1, I guess since they figure some will be in town for UCLA's gig and will want to visit both.

...and still waiting on MIT!

Mar 30, 06 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Update

Just accepted to UT@Austin post-professional via website but haven't actually recieved a letter or email yet. This happen to anyone else? Would really like to see if there offer will match OSU. Maybe its been said but has UT been offering alot of money?

OSU-Accepted
UT@Austin- Accepted
GSD-Rejected
UCLA???????????

Mar 30, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

man i still can't believe that UCLA's open house is 3 days away and some people still don't know. that's douche with a capital 'D'

Mar 30, 06 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

ryan - where do you live?

and is everyone getting emails if they got into sci-arc?

Mar 30, 06 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
m^2

I also got the SCI-arc e-mail and package today. Did anyone that got the package get any scholarship $$?

Mar 30, 06 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
appleate

I'm going to be at the MIT open house as well. Virtually certain that I'll be attending there too, as it has the best faculty, best fit, best city of the schools that accepted me. It's also the only one to give me the $$$.

Mar 30, 06 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

To all those in NYC waiting for COlumbia responses.....Please post when you hear something. I am still waiting....waiting....waiting.

When is their open house?

To those going to UCLA's open house..please inform those of us who can't go b/c they don't know wether or not they should be trying to go. Anyone for MARCH II there, I am more interested in that.

Thanks archinect.

Mar 30, 06 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

no $$$

Mar 30, 06 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
Texarch797

m^2
I got a package from sci-arc and no money, just a thick pack of financial aid stuff... It says when on their website that scholarships are for continuing students only... i guess this mean they dont have money available for new students...

Mar 30, 06 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
tobykirchener

I still haven't heard one single thing from columbia yet, but I got a yes from Pratt yesterday..
So, 1/2 so far....

Mar 31, 06 1:18 am  · 
 · 
iterati

Joe Bloggs....sorry to hear you got rejected. So I can expect my rejection, was it via e-mail or post?

what time EST??

Mar 31, 06 7:52 am  · 
 · 
dmc

columbia told me my decision went out on tues. i guess it's a no-no. dammit.

Mar 31, 06 10:30 am  · 
 · 
samsonoio

Rejected from MIT, my top choice . . . Official letters will be sent out next week.

Final stats:
UOregon: Accepted
Harvard: Accepted
UPenn: Accepted
MIT: nope

Thanks for commiserating and celebrating everyone!

Mar 31, 06 11:02 am  · 
 · 
somearchitect

So... the verdict is in.

SCI-Arc: YAY
Columbia: Waitlisted (didn't really want to go anyway...)
Parsons: YAY with AP and $$

For those of you who are waiting, I found out from Columbia Wednesday and SCI-Arc yesterday.

I want to visit SCI-Arc the week of their reviews but would like to ask for travel money. Do you guys have any experience with this?

Also, I would like to negotiate my entry point at SCI-Arc. I studied at Parsons for a year (Pre-Arch) and then got my RIBA Part I at the AA in July (equivalent of a B.Arch). Does anyone know if SCI-Arc gives AP and /or do you guys have experience negotiating your status?

Anyone facing similar situations?

Thanks and GOOD LUCK to all those waiting...

Mar 31, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 
whitllam

Mab82 - I live in Columbus, OH.

tiger77 - I got AP into the M.arch II program after completing my B.arch at OSU this past year, so it is a possibility.

Mar 31, 06 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
MArchII06

anyone going to Penn's open house on the 10th of april?

Mar 31, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
kerfuffle

samsonoio- did you call MIT? how did you find out?

-to

Mar 31, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

nice rejection email from ucla.
finally.
so i guess it's gonna be either iit or michigan.

Mar 31, 06 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
mn

is sci-acr hard to get into...

Mar 31, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

SCI-Arc acceptance came today... SCI-FI nothing about money...

I thought I had decided to go to Columbia but now I don't know. Damn them. I am the most indecisive person in the world.

anythoughts? How do the two stack up against eash other?

Mar 31, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

amanning -- welcome to the NYC vs LA dilemma (although I'm weighing UCLA instead of Sci-Arc)...

I've honestly just been reading LA blogs to try and get an idea about living there...I have been using the most ridiculously inappropriate methods to research schools:

- Archinect, of course...
- Questions about the campus? Google Maps
- Life in the City? blogs

Sure wish I had some money and some free time to visit all these places...

MArch06 -- if you have a camera, can you take a pic of the studio space while you are at the open house? That way I can make a judgment about the facilities and students from a blurry cellphone pic to continue my pattern...

Mar 31, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

strugs-

i can absolutely do that for you. do me one favor though, email me a reminder. im leaving for vegas tonight and i will inevitably lose my mind this weekend

Mar 31, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

is Rice accepting students this year?

Mar 31, 06 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

i was pre-approved for three credit cards today, got a coupon for 10% off carpet cleaning, but still nothing in the mail from asu. has anyone heard anything from asu yet?

Mar 31, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
vman

Strugs, amanning, et al:

as for as the LA/SCI-Arc/UCLA internal debate, I went to UCLA's Jumpstart last summer and could definitley see myself doing my M.Arch. there. After the program, I checked out SCI-Arc for a day and spoke with someone in admissions. I left there thinking that there is no way I would want to go to school there.
My point is, althought they are both in LA, they are very different schools in VERY different parts of LA.
If at all possible, try visiting before you must decide...

Mar 31, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

skid row vs. brentwood...yeah, kind of different. ;)

Mar 31, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
joe architect

jwo, I hear you... I had Chinese food last nice and thought about Rice. I have an idea... someone who applied, but already going somewhere else should call them up and demand them to send out letters immediately. Does anyone know if you can find out online. I have checked the application home and activity page, but I do not get anything new.

Mar 31, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
m^2

amanning

I was out at SCI-arc looking at the facilities and programs. The advisor told me that since I have a 5 year professional degree the SCI-FI program is what I should look at. After talking with him further it turned out that the SCI-Fi was an urban design based program and that there were little possibilites to use the wood and metal shop. I ended up applying to the marchII program.

Strugs I am right there with you. Accepted to Columbia, UCLA and SCI-arc. I think I've discounted SCI-arc because of the 2.5 year duration. I'll be at the open house at Columbia for the MSAAD. Right now I live in a post-industrial city with little urban life and everyone is attached to their cars. NYC is looking better and better evreyday.

Mar 31, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

I live in NYC.

I know nothing about LA.

Except what MArch06 tells me, and what I've seen on CHiPs.

I am a bit scared of the transplant. I hear the body often rejects new organs. I might convulse violently if I go to LA. I also fear jellyfish. So the ocean isn't a big draw to me. Though I have no idea what is in the Hudson either. Though I don't live in NYC for the Hudson.

This may sound odd, but one of the biggest reasons I am thinking about LA is just to do something completely ridiculous. Going there is ridiculous to me. NYC is easy. I wouldn't mind throwing out everything I own except the essentials and just showing up somewhere new. It might clear out my head a bit.

But it also scares the crap out o' me.

I am now going to make a list of pros and cons for my options in Excel. I think Excel has a function that sorts schools by all these possible variables: cost, location, ranking, reputation, faciliites, studetn satisfaction, faculty availability, vending machine choices, eyeglass frame thickness, pretension, hypertension and number of school-specific posts on Archinect. Just open excel, enter the data and press Ctrl - F6.

Mar 31, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
Andrea316

LA and NYC are both great for insiders and hostile to outsiders, but if you're committed you can make them both work. Go see the Whitney Biennial if you need something crazy strugs. Don't miss the Caligula video.

Mar 31, 06 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

The Caligula video is reminiscent of this thread.

And hey, if you have a Columbia ID, you can get in free to the Whitney! Just a small perk for $30,000+ in tuition.

Mar 31, 06 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

Ha -- clearly this NY Times reporter did not do her research -- she should have just typed "accepted to grad schools" in google -- the threads she mentions have nothing on this one:

NYT story on our shared addiction

Mar 31, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

So UCLA....I have heard nothing. Should I hold out any hope?

I tried calling today and it went straight to voicemail. I'm probably not the only one with this question huh? The online status website hasn't updated since 12/29 apparently, so I am not counting on finding out from that. Useless.

Apr 1, 06 12:11 am  · 
 · 
wilday

dblefere-
did you receive the application completeness email from ucla a few months ago? it seems very odd that you haven't heard anything, especially as they have sent everything as emails so far. are you sure they have your correct email address? also, do you have the spam/junk mail filter turned off on your email account? keep us posted, and definitely hold out hope. good luck!

Apr 1, 06 1:43 am  · 
 · 
meMarch

I also received the completeness mail from UCLA ages ago but received nothing so far..So they do have my correct e-mail address and my spam/junk filters are all off!!

Apr 1, 06 2:22 am  · 
 · 

strugs thanks for the article that was great reading. A little scary though that people are saying they feel depressed and suicidal because they got rejected from 4 out of 13 schools, High Schoolers are going crazy. I like the approach by that school that just makes people available to asnwer questions through their own admissions forums.

Apr 1, 06 10:06 am  · 
 · 
iterati

I actually never received the application completedness e-mail ages ago, but I called a verified twice with two different people that all of my materials were received and the application was complete. I am sure they have correct e-mail address b/c on the online status check my e-mail address is my login, and I can login w/o any probs.

meMarch, guess we're just lucky.

Apr 1, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
dmc

rejections from columbia are in NYC. i know cause i just got one. after last year's 3 for 4, i am finishing this year with a .5 for 6... good luck to everyone, and thank you all for the moral support in the past month.

Apr 1, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: