b3tadine[sutures]

First

Jan 10, 21 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

confused third.

Jan 10, 21 2:20 pm  · 
2  · 

Unicor's Cheap Prison Labor Will Help Rebuild the Capitol (jezebel.com)

OK I don't believe *everything* I read on leftish websites, but I don't have any difficulty at all believing this to be true: rioters destroy furniture in the capitol, entity with federal contract  repairs/replaces furniture using a "cost-effective labor pool" aka prisoners at near-slave wages.

This country just sucks. It sucks.

Jan 11, 21 11:45 am  · 
2  · 

Capitalism at its finest. Hide the real costs by exploiting others.

Jan 11, 21 12:19 pm  · 
3  ·  1
tduds

No it doesn't.

Jan 11, 21 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

No it doesn't.

Jan 11, 21 1:26 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Profit is extracted. Not communist.

Jan 11, 21 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

lol you think that shit's exclusive to communism? Come on.

Jan 11, 21 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Anyway abolish prison labor. I think we can all agree on that.

Jan 11, 21 3:01 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm more in favor of prison labor than I am against it. However, the fine print is that the prison labor should have the same workplace protections as non-incarcerated workers, including minimum wage. 

As a kid I watched, and got to know some of, the prison laborers building my town's skate park. Those guys were happy to be out doing something rather than sitting around a cell doing nothing. They were almost all at the end of their sentences and it was somewhat of a privilege or a reward for good behavior to be able to be out in the world working. I think it can also be helpful in transitioning to life outside prison. There is a lot more that needs to be reformed in our prison system ... this is just one part of it, and not even the full breadth of what I'd like to see changed with regard to prison labor.

Jan 11, 21 6:45 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Great points. 

Abolish the part of the 13th Amendment that allows prison slavery.

Jan 11, 21 6:50 pm  · 
4  · 

I forget sometimes that the abolishment of slavery actually codifies slavery to be allowed for criminal punishment. We really are a messed up country.

Jan 11, 21 7:19 pm  · 
2  · 
apscoradiales

Standing on the sidelines, and thinking out loud. This is not as dangerous to American "democracy" as protests against Vietnam War were back in the sixties. Remember that? Or are most people here to young to recall that? '60's shaped America - and the rest of the World - for many years, and still do today.

Jan 11, 21 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

you sure about that?

Jan 11, 21 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Pretty sure. Every once in a while when we enter some crisis, we think, oh boy, this is the worst it has ever been. The World is coming to an end! Rather selfish on our part.

No, it is not. Called life - shit happens every so often.

Spring is coming up, and we're a little bit closer to the end of this BS virus. I don't see a horde of Mongols riding across the Bering Straight. Think positive.

Jan 11, 21 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
square.

i won't argue with the fact that the 60's shaped america- the self-indulgent, individualized "revolution" produced short-lived hippies, ripe for the coming reganism, who have inhibited any possible collective effort to combat our biggest existential threat, climate change. spring is certainly coming, though it will be warmer than the last spring, just like the spring before it.

i'm hopeful this "consensus" is being dismantled before our eyes.

Jan 11, 21 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If you're suggesting that there is a risk of this nascent movement might devolve into the sort of Boomer selfishness the 60s did, sure. But being a Pollyanna is helping nobody.

Jan 11, 21 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
square.

no, just talking about the 60s. the only thing this "movement" has done, along with the appeasement of trump in general, is to expose reganism and trickle-down economics for what it really is: complete bullshit.

Jan 11, 21 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"60's shaped America - and the rest of the World - for many years, and still do today."

The same pacifists that were protesting against the Vietnam war were/are ridiculing Trump for avoiding being sent to an illegal war to kill innocent civilians. I would argue it didn't shape the world as much as it did distort it!

Jan 12, 21 3:25 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"Change the system but in the meantime at least hold everyone within the system to a similar standard" is not a contradiction. That the rich were able to use their money and influence to cheat the system, while the poor were not, is just one of the gross injustices of the Vietnam War (and Iraq, and Afghanistan, and...)

Jan 12, 21 10:57 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

"The same pacifists that were protesting against the Vietnam war were/are ridiculing Trump for avoiding being sent to an illegal war to kill innocent civilians. "

Yeah, that checks out. They are against war and they are angered by the actions of a man -who dodged the draft- running under and being elected by the party which is pro-war. This is hypocrisy, but not the hypocrisy you are trying to claim. 

Jan 12, 21 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Watered down impeachment articles? OF COURSE!

Demands for unity by the offending party? OF COURSE!

A president elected by righteous anger and justified rage who will inevitably prove feckless and easy to manipulate into losing the majority in two years? OF COURSE!

Jan 11, 21 2:28 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

If Democrats treated Republicans the way Republicans treat Democrats, there wouldn't be any Republicans left.

Jan 11, 21 2:40 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Just to clarify I wasn't saying they *should*, just pointing out the difference.

Jan 11, 21 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
square.

i hate being forced to be a part of the democratic party

Jan 11, 21 3:36 pm  · 
4  · 

I hate being forced into any false binary just to feel like my voice has any effect.

Jan 11, 21 3:53 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

I imagine most of us on the left here would identify as 'DINOs'. I'm nominally a Democratic Party member but only so I can vote in primary elections. The first Tuesday in November is not where my politics begin or end, and voting is perhaps the least influential political act I make all year.

Jan 11, 21 4:41 pm  · 
1  · 

If Republicans treated other Republicans the way Democrats treat other Democrats, there wouldn't be any Republicans left. 

Trump is going to give Jim Jordan the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Schumer told Franken to resign or be censured.

Jan 11, 21 5:28 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Can you be a member of both Republican and the Democratic Party? Would be great to be able to vote for a candidate in a primary of the party you'd not even consider voting for in the real election. Just to get the other party more aligned with your own views...A bit like Russia's Alexei Navalny's Smart Voting tactic against Putin's dominant United Russia.

Jan 11, 21 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Some states have open primaries in which you do not have to be a member of the party in order to participate. There's usually some crossing of people into the Democratic primaries when it's a Republican incumbent, or vice versa ... but it's usually not sufficient to make that much of a difference. I could be wrong on that last part though. I haven't done much research into it.

Jan 11, 21 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Switching is annoying, means you get on a bunch of lists for mailers you don't want. and also means that if you ever choose to run for office you have a mixed history open to the public to see.

Jan 11, 21 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'm a registered Independent, and get mailers for both D's and R's. I was briefly registered as a Green Independent, currently the most viable third party, which is not saying much.

Jan 11, 21 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

EA - I believe that even in states with open primaries you can only vote in one of the primaries.

Jan 11, 21 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

tduds, I'm fairly certain that is correct. I could have made that more clear in my earlier response.

As an example, I went to the first state listed in the Wikipedia article I posted earlier ... Alabama. They do not allow you to participate in both primaries. You have to choose one.

Jan 11, 21 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

thanks all for clearing that up about primaries...

Jan 12, 21 3:19 am  · 
 · 
tduds

It's a very dumb system we have. We could easily change it but some people like to pretend its holy.

Jan 12, 21 10:50 am  · 
1  · 

"If Democrats treated Republicans the way Republicans treat Democrats, there wouldn't be any Republicans left."

I want to dive into this and see where it leads. Give us specific scenarios. It will mostly be exaggeration and speculation, but I'm in need of a bit of catharsis at the moment.

Jan 11, 21 5:15 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Think of the heads that would have rolled had Robert Muller been given the broad and unchecked investigative mandate given to Ken Starr. Or if, say, Rahm Emmanuel was appointed instead of Muller.

Jan 11, 21 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

When it became necessary to appoint a special counsel to investigate President Trump, in order to avoid accusations of political favoritism, a Republican was appointed. And when it became necessary to appoint a special counsel to investigate President Clinton, in order to avoid accusations of political favoritism, a Republican was appointed.

Jan 11, 21 7:58 pm  · 
4  · 
tduds

There's a good quip that's been going around: It's like the Republicans & the Democrats were playing chess, and the Republicans flipped the table and set the house on fire. And the Democrats are still trying to figure out how to win the chess game. 

The implicit thru-line of the contemporary GOP since at least Gingrich is that the Democratic Party has no right to govern, and they will break whatever rules necessary - up to and including undermining the democratic process itself - in order to prevent the Democrats from doing anything. The Democrats, meanwhile, are trying to fix the system with "resolutions" and appeals to "civility." 

It ain't gonna work. I don't know how we get back to business without first playing a little hardball. Put out the damn fire.

Jan 11, 21 8:02 pm  · 
3  · 

Well ... I was hoping for more comedic catharsis rather than a historical walk down memory lane. Now I'm just depressed even more because if the Democrats even think about playing hardball they have to check the polls first, or whatever. Even then, with overwhelming public support, the Republicans still seem to make them look like partisan hacks.

Jan 11, 21 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Sorry, I'll be back with some jokes.

Jan 11, 21 8:15 pm  · 
1  · 

The special counsel investigation thing was pretty funny. I chuckled at that.

The chess game is too realistic to be funny. I do tend to agree that Dems will break their backs trying to follow the "rules" while the Reps are simply changing the rules to do whatever they want. I.e. the "rule" that was made to deny Merrick Garland a SCOTUS seat, and also used to give Amy Coney Barrett one.

Jan 11, 21 8:21 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I like to call her Amy Barrett, just to tweak conservative nipples.

Jan 11, 21 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I think you mean Amy HUSSEIN Barret.

Jan 11, 21 8:35 pm  · 
1  · 

Interesting. In a thread where we are talking about Dems treating Repubs like Repubs treat Dems ... I had the knee-jerk reaction to say I used her name as I did because I didn't want to stoop to their level and call her Amy Covid Barrett.

Jan 11, 21 10:14 pm  · 
1  · 

Democrats be like, "We solemnly and with regret must inform VP Pence that we are going to wait for him to do something before we have a Zoom meeting to discuss whether or not we should do anything." 

Republicans be like, "LOL, we would have had half a dozen investigations opened already like we did after Benghazi. Ahem, but yeah, we need unity right now and investigations only sow division."

Jan 11, 21 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Yes exactly.

Jan 12, 21 10:49 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Well, as an innocent bystander my gut says that Republicans do seem to act more often out of spite towards Democrats, where Democrats try to act according to their political believes and principles...

Jan 12, 21 11:02 am  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Republicans are dumb, so they fight. Democrats are intelligent, so they argue. Unfortunately fighting seems to be more effective, much of the time.

Jan 12, 21 11:17 am  · 
2  · 

Careful Wood Guy, jla is going to come in here and tell you fighting is never the answer and that the revolution will be achieved through intellect and education ... which Republicans have defunded every chance they get so they can buy another fighter jet.

Jan 12, 21 11:54 am  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

Yeah I know I shouldn't stir the pot. My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, but not too far from the truth either. Have you read, "Guns, Germs and Steel"? I'm due for a re-read but the lesson I recall can be extended to say that the Republican strategy is likely to win in the end. You can't reason with someone who actively wants you dead, or wants what you have, and has the tools to get it.

Jan 12, 21 12:17 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

See: "The Walking Dead"

Jan 12, 21 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

X-jla, have you read the book I mentioned? I agree that the things you value are important. They are important to many who vote blue. They are not important to those who vote red. I disagree that music and literature have been more influential than violence. The US is formed by violence and it's one of our defining features.

Jan 12, 21 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Most of American culture is an amalgam, and much of it was gathered through violence. This doesn't invalidate it, but we need to acknowledge it.

Jan 12, 21 1:34 pm  · 
3  · 

I won't, but one could probably make the argument that violence led to the conditions that allowed not only American culture, but a lot of the world's culture to develop and flourish. If not that, at least allowed for it to spread throughout the world and be the soft power that might bring about any revolutionary change in someone else's culture. And yes, we need to acknowledge it, but not in the build statues to remember our heritage sort of way.

Jan 12, 21 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Are you suggesting "manifest destiny" was nonviolent?

Jan 13, 21 12:34 pm  · 
1  · 

Wait!? Did jla try to refute my statement that violence led to conditions allowing culture to flourish, develop, and/or spread with "manifest destiny" ... and tried to suggest it was nonviolent!?!!

Edit: I'll just leave this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

Jan 13, 21 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

None of that made much sense at all.

Jan 14, 21 4:25 pm  · 
1  · 

Thanks tduds, guess I don't really need to read any of it anyway then.

Jan 14, 21 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

... unmuted for a minute to see what crap jla was slinging trying to redecorate the place. 

"In other words, we the people have a much greater effect in our creative and cultural endeavors than in the political sphere. We can instigate Progress more by focusing on our crafts, our minds, our personal relationships, and our community, than trying to tinker with politics.

I understand that's what you are saying, however, you're not doing it as you "tinker with politics" here. You should be focusing on your "creative and cultural endeavors [rather] than the political sphere." 

You are here to just call out the hypocrisy ... trying calling it out in yourself. Take a look at your commenting and posting history and decide whether you've been paying more attention to "instigat[ing] [p]rogress" by crafts, personal relationships, etc. ... or by "tinker[ing] with politics." 

Back on mute ...

Jan 15, 21 11:44 am  · 
1  · 

Ok last time ... 

Do you think Marx and Marxism just popped up out of a vacuum of non-violence? Where was Marx born? What led to the socio-economic status he enjoyed that let him be a philosopher? You think the class struggles he was writing about didn't have some type of violence entwined in them? 

Now do the same for your "manifest destiny" comment, and any other example you want to think of. Let me know if you can come up with anything other than "God created the heavens and the earth" that wasn't predicated on some type of violence. Even the creation thing is debated though ... was the big bang violent?

Jan 15, 21 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

I'll also reiterate for those who might forget or have selective memories. I'm not advocating for violence of any sort. I'm just pointing out that it has a place in our history and we should acknowledge it.

Jan 15, 21 12:21 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

There's no thesis with jla, only contrarianism. I know I've said this before, but I think I'm finally done with it.

Jan 15, 21 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

When people opt to control our offline public space with private funds they're labelled fascist (Schumacher), so is big tech fascist when they try to control our online public space and the ideas that are allowed to circulate there?

Jan 12, 21 4:32 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

When that 'control' is in an effort to silence violent insurrection? I'll give it a pass. Nice try with the"whataboutism" though. Maybe next time.

Jan 12, 21 9:30 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

You'll give that fascism by big tech a pass bb? Good to know ;-)

Jan 12, 21 10:01 am  · 
 · 
tduds

A lot of tech CEOs and big VC names seem to have authoritarian impulses, yes.

Jan 12, 21 10:48 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Fascism? How about "Anarcho-capitalism". Yeah, it sucks, and yeah I'd prefer a platform that offered real accountability, but then what does that look like? I've been banned from Twitter for calling out racists, for wishing The Orange Shitgibbon a Happy Coronary Day

Jan 12, 21 10:56 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

One can dislike Schumacher and Google at the same time without falsely equating them to score imaginary points on an internet message board, sure.

Jan 12, 21 11:06 am  · 
3  · 
bowling_ball

randomized, you're comparing apples to blue jeans. TAKING a PUBLIC resource away, and ENFORCING rules against inciting violence by a PRIVATE company are not at all the same thing. But you righties just love to repeat "whatabout" until you're blue in the face. You may as well keep trying, but nobody's listening. (BTW I made the important words IN ALL CAPS so you could follow)

Jan 12, 21 11:06 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

I'm not falsely equating them, I'm simply equating them as do others here, see:

"A lot of tech CEOs and big VC names seem to have authoritarian impulses, yes."

I'm simply comparing how online and offline public space is being (proposed to be) controlled and how people label such control mechanisms fascism in the one but dare not in the other. Use it to your advantage, or not...what do I care.

Jan 12, 21 11:55 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Public space is being bought by companies or being given to companies by the government and controlled by the companies for the future. The internet space was never public. This is not to say I agree with this, but it's a distinction that the original question doesn't account for.

Jan 12, 21 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The technology for a decentralized internet already exists. It's called "the internet". The money is the problem that needs solving.

Jan 12, 21 12:41 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The racists can have reddit, but they want to digitally assault people with impunity.

Jan 12, 21 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

A very well-written (and, gasp, conservative!) perspective on this sort of thing is Matt Stoller. I subscribed to his newsletter "BIG" (https://mattstoller.substack.com/) a while back. It's not all mindblowing, but it provides a good insight into the history of lax oversight surrounding monopolies in general has led to the current state of tech & the internet.

Jan 12, 21 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Which article would you recommend to start?

Jan 12, 21 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This was the one that led me to subscribe: https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/wework-and-counterfeit-capitalism This is also a good starting point as its one of his first essays: https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/break-ups-and-stock-prices

Jan 12, 21 1:13 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Instead of listening to the cacophony of garbage from a serial idiot, go and read this brief NYT piece. 

Jamie Raskin

Jan 12, 21 5:02 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

“Tell me, why is Ronald Reagan dead but Jimmy Carter still alive? I’ll tell you, it’s anti-conservative bias..."

https://politics.theonion.com/...

Jan 12, 21 6:11 pm  · 
3  · 
axonapoplectic

Looking more likely that the senate has the votes to convict. McConnell’s office leaked that they want to purge the Trump faction from the party (and he doesn’t leak, so this seems pretty big - does that mean they’re going to purge a bunch of GOP legislature too?).  At least 3 house GOP are publicly saying they will vote for impeachment (my guess is likely at least a dozen or more will eventually vote to impeach).

My question is what is the political calculus for not invoking the 24th amendment. 

Jan 12, 21 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

Easier to slow walk an impeachment trial in the senate and disrupt confirmation votes for Biden’s cabinet?

Jan 12, 21 11:13 pm  · 
 · 

Better for the party to claim it was done as a party rather than by just a few cabinet members and Pence?

Jan 12, 21 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

The cabinet is too loyal to Trump?

Jan 12, 21 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

After conviction in the senate McConnell can bar trump from holding future office, but they can’t do that with the 25th?

Jan 12, 21 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

4 GOP reps now. I think the whole party coming together to condemn trump is probably closer to the real answer.

Jan 12, 21 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

Personally, I think McConnell is really pissed about it and has had enough of Trumpism. It worked well enough up until now to get his judges, but seeing Georgia go blue and lose control of the senate was too much and he’s ready to purge. As long as the articles aren’t too off the mark he'll be happy to convict and probably take the credit for leading the party back to some semblance of dignity. Bar is set pretty low. I do think he’s taking a gamble with the base, but he’s not up for re-election in the next few years anyway so it’s kind of not his problem, but still his problem. I don’t know, maybe he’s thinking of retiring after this term and if he succeeds he goes out on a high, and if not he won’t care ... his legacy is set with his judges.

Jan 12, 21 11:48 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Perhaps Trump is just a troll sent in by the Democrats to destroy the Republican Party from the inside...

Jan 13, 21 2:25 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Yeah. That's totally it.

Jan 13, 21 2:45 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

I knew it!

Jan 13, 21 2:55 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

EA, you are ascribing feelings to Mitch that I honestly don't think he possesses. He cares about power and nothing else. His change of tune is not a moral one, it's a calculated one.

Jan 13, 21 8:32 am  · 
3  · 
square.

agree with wood guy on this one- moscow mitch is a shrewd politician, and trump is no longer useful to him. in fact, keeping him a relevant force would only fuck things up for the republicans in the future.

Jan 13, 21 9:25 am  · 
1  · 

WG, totally agree. Aside from the rapid-fire brainstorming [joking] portion, I'm not sure I'm attributing any feelings (except frustration at Trump's idiocy) or morals to Mitch. I think his calculation is that he sucked all he needed from Trump the last 4 years and is ready to discard the withered husk and look for his next prey. I think he's also calculated that if he can be seen as the voice of reason in the party, that's more power he can use to be kingmaker in 2024. That his wife was one of the first to resign, to me says he saw the writing on the wall well before yesterday's NYT story. Mitch is an opportunist and he's done his calculus and sees an opportunity here. If not, he'd just be on media blackout until the Biden's inauguration.

Jan 13, 21 12:11 pm  · 
2  · 
square.

imagine being so distorted by a view that both sides are the same, that you think mitch mcconnell and bernie sanders are equivalents.

Jan 13, 21 12:27 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Mitch cares about one thing - controlling the senate. He lost that, both electorally and physically, on Jan 6th. He decided Trump is responsible for that loss, so it's time to purge Trump.

Jan 13, 21 12:38 pm  · 
2  · 
liberty bell

Six Supreme Court justices who call themselves “Pro-life” executed a human, a US citizen, last night.

The god she believes in just handed Amy Coney Barrett an opportunity to show grace, and instead Amy chose murder. Suuuuuuper pro-life of her!

Jan 13, 21 7:27 am  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

They only care about fetal tissue. By the time the fetus is born they have lost interest.

Jan 13, 21 8:30 am  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

M'erca!

insert flying bald eagles, flags, rockets, ted nugent, blind patriotism, etc.  

Jan 13, 21 8:37 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

You’re right jla. I’ve seen some in the wild up here too.

Jan 13, 21 9:41 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Army Coney Island is gross.

Jan 13, 21 11:13 am  · 
1  · 

Greenlighting executions is about all the newest pro-life justice has done since she was sworn in.

Jan 13, 21 12:13 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

No civilised country should have capital punishment, maybe with the Democrats now in the driving seat it’s finally time to make it right...no excuses.

Jan 13, 21 12:52 pm  · 
4  · 
axonapoplectic

I can’t keep up with the news. A house member (former military) is claiming some of her colleagues were doing what appeared to be recon the day before - alluding that it may have been people who eventually got arrested for storming the Capitol. This and other reports (military brass note about Biden being president elect, former defense officials warning). Also it appears some reps discovered their office security systems had been tampered with when they went back to shelter in place. It really seems like an inside job.

I think in the next few weeks we will see expulsions and arrests - but I’m getting really worried about the future of this country.

Jan 13, 21 11:40 am  · 
2  · 

I think it will be interesting to see how this all works out and what investigations reveal. In my frustrated opinion right now, any politician calling for unity and healing right now is trying to cover up their aiding and abetting.

Jan 13, 21 12:19 pm  · 
3  · 
axonapoplectic

Rep clyburn said the mob bipassed the door with his name on it and found an unmarked room in an out of the way area where he does most of his work and stormed that office. The comptroller’s unmarked office was ransacked. The comptroller keeps the electoral college ballots (which were moved to a secure location) - how would some random mob know exactly where the comptroller’s unmarked office was and what his role was? I really seems like they had inside help.

Jan 13, 21 2:16 pm  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

Who doesn't think this was helped by some on the inside? It had to be at some level. We've all seen the videos of the cops opening gates and doors.

Jan 13, 21 7:02 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Sounds like both have a very similar level of “proof”. 

incorrect.

Jan 14, 21 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

No, I'm just going to wait until we see what information comes from the investigations taking place and continue to live in reality.

Jan 14, 21 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Sure I did. And there were. And they found nothing.

Jan 14, 21 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

So I should just let people believe in lies so they don't get butthurt and start a civil war? That's very dumb, even for you.

& also "Half" is a gross overstatement. 

Jan 14, 21 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

But you're leaning on the media and snarky Tweets as evidence that a real "investigation" into voting irregularities didn't occur, even though - in literally dozens of jurisdictions and court cases - claims were investigated and nothing was found.

Jan 15, 21 11:03 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Pardon the twitter link but this is not snark, it's a thread of journalistic & legal sources: https://twitter.com/Ike_Saul/status/1324435797374808066

Jan 15, 21 11:04 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

House of Representatives about to deliver me a birthday present.

Jan 13, 21 12:42 pm  · 
5  · 

Happy birthday!

Jan 13, 21 12:47 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Happy birthday!

Jan 13, 21 1:06 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Hey, we're almost Birthday Buddies - mine was yesterday. Congratulations on another trip around the Sun!

Jan 13, 21 1:51 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Happy Birthday fellow Capricorn!

Jan 13, 21 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Capri-what? oh no... not horrorscopes.

signed, a OPHIUCHUS.

Jan 13, 21 4:01 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

My entire knowledge of astrology is stereotypes about Capricorns that I made up, because I am a Capricorn married to another Capricorn who likes astrology.

Jan 13, 21 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

qed. sorry... not sorry. sorry for not being sorry.

Jan 13, 21 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

Airbnb to Block and Cancel D.C. Reservations During Inauguration: https://news.airbnb.com/airbnb...

Press release says guests will be refunded in full, and hosts will be paid in full at Airbnb's expense. If you were a guest and you know the property will remain vacant ... what's to stop you from reaching out to the host for the key/code to stay at the property anyway (assuming of course the host is sympathetic to your cause)?

Jan 13, 21 1:44 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

And just like that, jla derails the point to jab at the left again.

Jan 13, 21 4:03 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

lack of self control, even when it hurts his (almost non-existent) credibility.

Jan 13, 21 4:25 pm  · 
2  · 
curtkram

that's not consistency jla, it's absolutism

Jan 13, 21 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

Seems relevant...

Jan 13, 21 9:32 pm  · 
4  · 
square.

everything that republicans have stood for in the past few decades (free market, tickle down economics, deficit concerns, blue lives, "family" values, on and on) has been eviscerated by trump. all that is left is a conspiracy laden group of cowards and lunatics.

Jan 14, 21 9:36 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Just gonna go read page 2 or whatever instead of having this argument again.

Jan 14, 21 12:34 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

IMPEACHED. AGAIN.

Jan 13, 21 4:24 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Your move, Mitchell

Jan 13, 21 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
proto

the turtle won't move - he's going to hand this off to Schumer & will paint the Democrats with it & obstruct just like he did under Obama

Jan 13, 21 4:57 pm  · 
2  · 

Did I miss the vote! Curse trying to get work done!

Jan 13, 21 5:01 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

Several members of the house have asked capitol police to investigate why there were an unusually large number of visitors on the 5th. Apparently tours were ended back in March 2020, and the only way currently for a visitor to enter the building is through a member of Congress or their staff.

what’s concerning to me is that they’re asking about protocols and if visitors are logged by the reps or by the police (as if they don’t know?). They’re also asking for any video surveillance of who may have entered the building the day before, and if they match individuals who were spotted in the building on the 5th. The concern is several people in the mob had intricate knowledge of the layout of the building, as if they had been in there before. If there is a connection that means that some members of Congress (and/or their staff) were involved.

Plus forcing members of Congress to go through metal detectors seems like they suspect someone or multiple people. 

Jan 13, 21 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

"Plus forcing members of Congress to go through metal detectors seems like they suspect someone or multiple people."

And the Members who are being little bitches about it aren't exactly doing much to assuage those suspicions.

Jan 13, 21 5:49 pm  · 
2  · 
axonapoplectic

This Twitter thread is insane. Journalist outlines the events leading up to the riot and who was involved. This is pretty damning. 

Jan 13, 21 6:53 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

Note: US DC attorney is using public corruption prosecutors for the capitol riot. This means public officials are implicated. I am now beginning to wonder if the McConnell delay for the senate trial is that there is more info to come out.

Jan 13, 21 6:59 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Maybe trump will only pardon them for the charges they already have, and then in 7 days the feds can bring the hammer down.

Jan 15, 21 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the idea of trump being the sitting president on Jan 20 scares me.  I think his cult is going to try something like this again to disrupt the peaceful transition of power.  I stand behind and I stand with the republican party and Mike Pence.  On the other hand, there is this https://www.militarytimes.com/...

Jan 13, 21 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You stand behind and with feckless cowards who stood with the traitor in the White House for four fucking years, with Pence all the while being privy to the thoughts and statements that DIDN'T leak. Why is that?

Jan 13, 21 8:17 pm  · 
3  · 
curtkram

because it's time to put the past behind us, start a new year. turn around and fix all the shit we fucked up. I'm at the point I'm so exhausted that I welcome the opportunity to forgive and forget. Let's just stop with all the horrible stuff.

Jan 13, 21 9:13 pm  · 
1  ·  1
SneakyPete

Talk to the republican party, get on board with justice, and THEN we can have a nice long "put the past behind us, start a new year." Republicans broke it, they need to be held to account. No justice: sends the message that you can lie your way to office, lie while in office, lie on the way out, and nobody will do anything except cry about the lack of unity and harmony. No thanks, Trump needs to be barred from office. Trump needs to have the hammer brought down. Period.

Jan 13, 21 9:46 pm  · 
4  · 
curtkram

I stand behind pence sitting in the office of the president of the United States at Biden's inauguration on Jan 20.

Jan 13, 21 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
proto

@curtkram, call your reps & sens and tell them to sack up and publically cleave their tethers to Trump in the most clear & hasty manner. This is their job, not the judiciary's. Otherwise, it's just hand wringing and "thoughts/prayers"...or more frankly: just selfish, politically-expedient standing on the sidelines hoping someone else is going to do the dirty work of leadership.

Jan 14, 21 1:29 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Staggering lack of bravery from the Republican party, as expected.

Jan 14, 21 2:18 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

I think they all share a single intenstine from which they draw their collective fortitude. That's why they're full of bile and not much else.

Jan 14, 21 2:34 pm  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

tduds, once again you're much more eloquent than I could ever be. My response to that nonsense would typically be something like "go fuck yourself, you ignorant hypocrite." But I'll refrain this time.

Jan 14, 21 4:47 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

I haven't been drinking, yet ;)

Jan 14, 21 4:49 pm  · 
2  · 
gibbost

@x-jla I'm not sure I can be called out as 'establishment' for simply rooting against evil. I'd like to believe there are more of us on the side of good--regardless of where that puts you on the courage spectrum. I mean really, who roots for Darth Vader or Lex Luthor? And yes, the reckoning taking place within the GOP is the silver lining to the anguish that has been the Trump presidency.

Jan 14, 21 5:17 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

Thanks for reminding the zero people who said something was courageous that it isn't. Do you also interrupt people drinking water to explain that it's wet?

Jan 14, 21 7:39 pm  · 
3  · 
curtkram

how is anit-trump even a thing still? he's done. his supporters are done. we're back to the old fashioned republican v democrat and reaching across the aisle will help everyone.

Jan 14, 21 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

lol no we're not & no it won't.

If anyone wants to reach across the aisle let the Republicans start. I'm old enough to know how this dumb "unity & civility" trick works and I'm embarrassed how many people still buy into it.

Jan 14, 21 8:12 pm  · 
5  · 
tduds

If unity is the goal, it's on the offender to ask for forgiveness. If that fails, it's on the authority to hold the offender accountable. Demanding that the abused party "get over it" is about impunity, not unity. Frankly one way to begin to rebuild unity would have been an unequivocal, bipartisan, repudiation of the attempted fascism of Donald Trump. They had that chance yesterday & they blew it. 

Peace will come from purging the authoritarians within our ranks, not making nice with them.

Jan 14, 21 8:15 pm  · 
5  · 
tduds

In this case I see the people who sought to overturn a fair democratic election as the abusers, and everyone else in the democracy as the abused.

Jan 14, 21 8:40 pm  · 
3  · 
bowling_ball

x-jla again with the "both sides" and "whatabout". Take it somewhere else, it's not working here.

Jan 14, 21 9:21 pm  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

nonsensical bullshit.

Jan 15, 21 10:28 am  · 
4  · 
tduds

"You're right, honey, our marriage was a fraud and I don't deserve to live in this house or see our kids ever." if that's what you think is 'reconcilliation' then ok.

Jan 15, 21 11:19 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

"Conservative belief in pervasive Democratic Party voter fraud goes back decades — and rests on racist and nativist tropes that date back to Reconstruction in the South and Tammany Hall in the North — but the modern obsession with fraud dates back to the 2000 election." https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/opinion/voter-fraud-capitol-attack.html 

But sure, the Democratic Party should just be the bigger person here and admit the Republicans are right that their elections are all because of voter fraud and they have no legitimate claim to power. And... then what? You think they're going to just back off?

Fuck your dumb both-sides-ism. It only makes you somehow more annoying than either side .

Jan 15, 21 11:21 am  · 
4  · 
tduds

"The self-described non-partisan who uncritically parrots Fox and WSJ talking points" starring x-jla.

Jan 15, 21 11:48 am  · 
4  ·  1
square.

xlax, when you raise your "points" above high-school level abstractions, man, we'll talk.

Jan 15, 21 12:12 pm  · 
3  ·  1
SneakyPete

You might. I won't.

Jan 15, 21 1:08 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

MIND BLOWN

Jan 15, 21 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This page is 5 days old. That's ~25 posts per day in just this thread (almost certainly more since today is only half over).

Get a damn hobby, man. This can't be good for your health. 

Jan 15, 21 1:25 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

He's our very own Rudy Giuliani. ​ Where once I might have been interested in his opposing views, I now actively avoid him and wish he'd stop showing up because he adds nothing of value to the world and instead causes real harm to my opinion of the human species.

Jan 15, 21 1:37 pm  · 
4  · 
JonathanLivingston

Individual people refuting his positions is a great example of them using their media literacy to rein in their exposure to and the power of misinformation. Eventually, people stop caring, stop listening, and start ignoring, and the misinformation is left with its perfectly intact right to shout its free speech into the ether.

Jan 15, 21 1:43 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

79 as of this post, and I'm constantly chiding myself for getting sucked into your obnoxious tirades. If you were to post less, I would post less. If I were to stop, you would not (as evidenced by past threads where I've checked out for a few weeks).

Jan 15, 21 2:09 pm  · 
2  · 
JonathanLivingston

This is where I become torn. It's exhausting to counter the emotionally held absurdities. It's hard to care that much especially when you know it's just absurd, it should be clear to others. But there is a huge value in combating the spread by fighting it when it pops up. Eventually, you can't contain it. Like a pandemic. A pandemic of stupid that has taken hold of this nation. Transmitted by going online. It's like an STD. I freaking love the free flow of information, I'm sure J-lax does too. We just need to get everyone some misinformation prophylactics.

Jan 15, 21 2:25 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

Just ran through the whole thread - this might not be entirely accurate because I just tallied up "ctrl+f" for each username, so it also accounts for times where other users have mentioned one of our names (which is more for me than you, since "jla" is the go-to mention, while I searched "x-jla"). 

Anyway, of 5,020 posts in this thread, 1,561 are yours (That's 31%!). 933 are mine. And, like I said, I'm aware of and somewhat regretful of my posting frequency here. 

Takin' a break now, I think. Will you?

Jan 15, 21 2:29 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

"no one trusts msm anymore because of their obvious bias"

I disagree--many of us rely on steadfast media for information and are smart enough to read through any perceived bias. That doesn't mean we're getting 100% unfiltered information, but just because the right can't stop squawking about media bias doesn't mean it's as bad as they say.

Jan 15, 21 5:58 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Just get your biased info from both ends of the horseshoe and you’ll end up in the middle?

Jan 15, 21 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

That's the definition of fallacious.

Jan 15, 21 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Again with paying attention to when & why people speak up more than what they say: The very idea of "Biased MSM" was a seed planted by Fox News in the 90s (Fair & Balanced!). The goal was to sow distrust throughout - to "flood the zone with bullshit" as they say - so that their own bias would be seen not as a clear propagandist outlier, but as a counterweight to the (not nearly as) biased "liberal" media. It's been 25 years and the talking point is a given reality.

There is, of course, more to it that just that. But it certainly got the ball rolling.

Jan 15, 21 6:39 pm  · 
2  · 

It drives me crazy to see the media (biased or not) getting dragged into the "fair and balanced" BS where they need to present "both sides" of a story. Sometimes the "other side" doesn't carry enough weight to deserve the platform. To pretend that there is an equal and opposing viewpoint just promotes a false balance that doesn't really exist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

"Millions think that Black Lives Matter. To discuss the opposite we found one white supremacist who disagrees. For the *whole* story, tune in at 11"

Jan 15, 21 8:16 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

You just said we didn't understand and then repeated exactly what we said in the prior comments.

Jan 19, 21 11:46 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Yeeeeah it is.

Jan 19, 21 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
molten

This is old news (and maybe it's already been discussed), but any thoughts on Biden's proposal for immediate cancellation of 10k of federal student loans?

Good? Not good enough? Bad? Or just never going to happen?

Jan 15, 21 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
square.

not good enough. i think a decent "compromise" would be canceling only debt from public schools, coupled with a plan/bill that assures free public university level education. i think a fair criticism/concern is canceling all debt (i'm a little more torn on this) would in a sense bail out private institutions that have been fairly predatory or negligent when it comes to tuition costs and administrative spending.

we're so far behind in this category compared to europe- people will bitch and moan with all of the stupid arguments that come with living in america, but before you know it, free public university will be no more controversial than free public secondary education.

Jan 15, 21 2:44 pm  · 
4  · 
tduds

I haven't read much into the specifics of Biden's plan yet, but in general I think some debt cancelling is a good start. It needs to be part of a broader education reform in order to have any real impact, though. Tuition is out of control largely (not entirely, but largely) because of ~infinite guaranteed government money / ~infinite under-scrutinized / non-dischargeable loans. A one-time "reset" would definitely help a lot of people in my generation, but will do nothing to correct the problem that will continue to screw over younger generations.

Jan 15, 21 3:27 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

It also needs to come with some sort of guarantee that universities won't just jack rates or fees because now kids get free uncle sam bucks.

Jan 15, 21 4:37 pm  · 
3  · 

I've avoided looking into the subject of debt cancellation because I know it's one where I'll probably be unhappy regardless of the outcome. I like what tduds said above about it being a good start, but it will need to be coupled with broader reform in the educational system. 

Of course, my first reaction is to ask how this benefits me directly (selfish I know), and I'm curious if there has been any talk about not just loan forgiveness, but also a refund or tax break or something for those of us who have made sacrifices to pay back our loans? I've been paying my loans back since I graduated and have almost eliminated that debt. Is the cancellation talk only about currently held debt, or is there some aspect of this that can work retroactively to people who graduated in the past X number of years? Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if my generation gets out from under this debt regardless, but it sucks to get nothing if you've "been doing everything right" to get out from under the debt anyway.

Jan 15, 21 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It's just Biden paying the absolute minimum lip service to the demands of what he sees as the fringe of his constituency. It's business as usual, toss em scraps, shut them up, then continue as he was. Anyone who expects Joe fucking Biden to be some sort of revolutionary leader for change doesn't know what fucking country they live in. Fucking same shit, same fucking day.

Jan 15, 21 6:24 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

"Anyone who expects Joe fucking Biden to be some sort of revolutionary leader for change doesn't know what fucking country they live in." 

You're not wrong there but, in all fairness, the details I've seen so far are more progressive than anything we've seen to date from any past administration. It's a baby step, but at least a baby step in the right direction.

Jan 15, 21 6:41 pm  · 
2  · 
square.

ea- the sentiment is fair, but an argument against what you’re saying is this meme: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO_Fj-QX0AEz373.jpg:large

Jan 16, 21 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
square.

ive also paid tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and would benefit greatly from broad cancellation.. but i think simple forgiveness of current debt in some form, similar to instituting a policy like social security that doesn’t retroactively benefit anyone, is for better or worse how progress works.

Jan 16, 21 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

square. I agree completely and I’ve fought the tendency to phrase this as a would it be *fair* argument. I know it won’t be fair. I don’t think that would, or should, be the goal. Let’s save the people on the tracks, but also maybe not ignore the destruction it left before we diverted it. I don’t think it has to be one or the other. We can figure out both, but if not ... I’m good with just figuring out the current debt issue.

Jan 16, 21 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
square.

right- wasn’t exactly what you’re saying to be fair, just a common argument against anti-debt cancellation. but i definitely agree that canceling debt without bigger reforms is a bad idea.

Jan 16, 21 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

the idea that Gabard or the other duplicitous idiot Dan Crenshaw would potentially be viable alternative for President, is beyond laughable.

Jan 15, 21 4:00 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Crenshaw is a terrible human being.

edit: Is someone suggesting that?

Jan 15, 21 4:38 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

tduds, yes.

Jan 15, 21 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Here's a fun little story about Crenshaw's ridiculousness: https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1349711147025489921 

I could dig up a dozen dumber and more outlandish things about him, this one just happened across my screen today.

Jan 15, 21 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

I'm still laughing about Crenshaw voting by proxy against impeachment on Wednesday after he declared last year that voting by proxy was "cowardly."

Jan 15, 21 8:33 pm  · 
4  · 
tduds

Crenshaw gives off a real "Jack Ripper in Dr. Strangelove" energy to me. Militaristic to a frightening level.

Jan 16, 21 11:43 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

"and will do anything to avoid having to kick someones ass outside the ring." Dude read the twitter thread I posted. It's 100% him kicking ass (well, pretending to in a weird jingoistic action fantasy) to install Trump for a second term. Fuck him.

Jan 16, 21 12:09 pm  · 
2  · 
square.

crenshaw’s back door comments making fun of aoc for being a service worker, while bragging about his military conquests was enough for me.

Jan 16, 21 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Gonna end this week on a positive note: https://www.washingtonpost.com...

In a move that signals the importance of science to the incoming administration, President-elect Joe Biden (D) announced Friday a plan to make the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy a Cabinet-level agency.

To head the office, Biden nominated Eric Lander, a mathematician and geneticist who helped map the human genome and founded the Broad Institute

Jan 15, 21 6:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Koww

the libs need to get out of the cities and intermarry with the republitards. or maybe it doesn't need to be wholesale... there could be one prominent lib/maga power couple to create peace

Jan 15, 21 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

No thanks.

Jan 15, 21 9:54 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

You just invented a fetish category — porn will never be the same

Jan 15, 21 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Rule 34

Jan 16, 21 10:28 am  · 
1  · 
Koww

twitter dude + insane congresswoman from georgia?

Jan 16, 21 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

x-jla,

Media has become highly polarised right around the World, not just in the States. Up here in Canada, I cannot mention the word "Israel" in our taxpayer funded media company, CBC, without getting my comment deleted. An example came up the other day, Canadian provinces have a horrible record of vaccinating people against Covid (due to health care responsibility being shared by the Federal government, and the provincial governments - both are totally incompetent), and I said how come Israel has already managed to vaccinate most of it people.

Well, next thing, CBC bans my comment! I cannot mention the word China either - comment gets deleted!

I used to trust BBC more than any other media in the World, but even they are slipping as of late. CNN is probably the worst in the World - they give North Korean media companies a good run for their money. Wonder who they will pick on once Trump is gone or will they blame all the ills of US on him for the next 50 years.

Jan 16, 21 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You're really chasing the wrong villain, here.

Jan 16, 21 12:46 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

who is the villain??? i'm late to this discussion, maybe i got it all screwed up.

Jan 16, 21 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Trump and his cohort in the GOP. His sycophantic followers.
culture, created by the right, that allowed him to thrive.

Jan 16, 21 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Do you go complain on the CBC forum if your comment on the archinect forum gets removed? Just wondering...

Jan 16, 21 3:51 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Aps, tbh, the cbc forums have been a disaster for years. I'm still surprised that they even open articles for comments at all. It was a fun place to throw inteligent snark out in the wild and see what kind of baffoon finds the time in their important lives to be offended but those days are long gone.

Jan 16, 21 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I don't know if this is common knowledge but the current president of CNN, Jeff Zucker, was largely responsible for green-lighting and building The Apprentice at his previous job as president of NBC Entertainment. In case you're looking for who to thank for all this.

Jan 19, 21 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Make no mistake CNN is 90% inane garbage, but the idea that a large swath of The Left lionizes CNN the way that a large swath of The Right lionizes Fox is hilarious, and says more about how The Right sees the world than anything else.

Jan 19, 21 11:48 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I know zero people who talk about CNN the way anyone talks about Fox. I know a lot of people who talk about Fox as the pinnacle of truth and trust. Fealty skews to one side, for lots of reasons, is all I'm saying.

Jan 20, 21 11:58 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Seems relevant here.

Jan 18, 21 12:40 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

instructions unclear, mustard did not make this shoe easier to digest.

Jan 18, 21 12:51 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Wrong again.

Jan 19, 21 12:31 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

we talking about Bush sr. Jla?

Jan 19, 21 12:31 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Credit where credit's due: In one of the Trump administrations final acts, something I firmly agree with.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...

Jan 20, 21 12:38 am  · 
8  · 
SneakyPete

broken clock, blind squirrel, etc

Jan 20, 21 12:52 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

Don't hold your breath! Biden will be kissing China's ass all the way. And Iran's.

Jan 20, 21 12:53 pm  · 
tduds

read the damn article. Or don't, it's in the headline: "..follows a Biden campaign statement with the same declaration."

Jan 20, 21 12:58 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

The world needs more kissing and less bombing!

Jan 20, 21 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

There's a massive difference between recognizing that China is a world economy who we have, like it or not, many critical relationships with and kissing its ass, but nuance, man; fuck nuance. Right?

Jan 20, 21 1:10 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

Nuances when dealing with China and Iran?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Naivety of a grand order.

Jan 20, 21 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

good to see your transition to boomer is going well.

Jan 20, 21 1:45 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

And, if you read (not so) carefully, you'll see that I was mocking YOU for a lack of nuance, not the government. But fuck reading comprehension when you can get in a cheap shot, right?

Jan 20, 21 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

China and Iran are not the same lol. One is a competitor that wants to and has the power to belittle the US, and the other can be a valuable ally in a volatile region, that really has no potent power to harm the US.

Jan 20, 21 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Hey would ya look at that, the president changed and the policy was immediately reaffirmed. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2021/01/19/biden-nominee-antony-blinken-china-committing-genocide-uyghurs/4215835001/

Jan 20, 21 1:49 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Obama had one of the best and most nuanced (separate) sets of policy towards China and (separately) Iran, but we weren't ready for it.

It's one of the few things I will give him huge credit for. Plenty to criticize about the Obama Admin, but he got these ones right (well, he tried to)

Jan 20, 21 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Seriously?

Jan 20, 21 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This is a long, but very good, analysis of Obama's foreign policy in almost-retrospect (from 2015). It stuck in my mind as one of the better attempts to explain his administration's strategy, and I found it rather brilliant: https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/barack-obama-is-a-foreign-policy-grandmaster

Happy as always to entertain good faith suggestions to the contrary, if you've got em.

Jan 20, 21 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

From the linked article, "...Zbigniew Brzezinski, national security adviser to President Carter, who shattered the Soviet Empire...", HUH? How much credibility does the article or the author have if they say that?! I'll give you this, Obama gave the green light to kill OBL. Good!

Jan 20, 21 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I don't know a ton about Brzezinski. Please, enlighten us.

Jan 20, 21 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Reagan took a lot of credit for shit he had nothing to do with. Iran Hostages, Middle East, etc...the heavy lifting was likely done by Carter; he actually stood for something, and wasn't a fraud like Ronnie Raygun.

Jan 20, 21 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The work was done by Carter, but the credit? You might say it trickled down to Reagan.

Jan 20, 21 9:13 pm  · 
2  · 
BabbleBeautiful

Now if we can get US to recognize the Armenian genocide that would be +++

Jan 21, 21 10:05 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Jan 20, 21 1:02 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

"...sameolddoctor

...the other [Iran ]can be a valuable ally in a volatile region, that really has no potent power to harm the US..."

Only when Hell freezes over. Currently, Iran is the most dangerous nation to US, the region, and immediate World peace...until China grows a bit stronger.

Biden will have his heads full dealing with them. Lets see how he does; US and World security are at stake here.

Jan 20, 21 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Currently, [the US] is the most dangerous nation to US, the region, and immediate World peace...until China grows a bit stronger.

Jan 20, 21 4:48 pm  · 
2  · 
apscoradiales

Only if the Americans don't put US first!

"...The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them...", to paraphrase Marx. US should be careful, China is patiently waiting.

Jan 20, 21 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Iran's military capabilities, though strong have nothing on China. Most of Iran is still in a very "developing" stage. China is a whole another story, with tons of military, resolve and balls.

Jan 21, 21 1:09 am  · 
2  · 
BabbleBeautiful

apscoradiales, before I smack you upside the head I'd like to give you a chance to explain why you think Iran is so dangerous to the US.

Jan 21, 21 10:13 am  · 
 · 
tduds

The US policy towards Iran from 1953 to about 2012 (then again from 2017-2020) created the animosity we're now dealing with. aps is suggesting we return to that policy.

Jan 21, 21 10:31 am  · 
BabbleBeautiful

tduds, I'm only down-thumbing your comment because I don't agree with the idea of returning to that policy. This country needs to stop meddling/policing.

Jan 21, 21 10:50 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Agreed, bb.

Jan 21, 21 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Feeling significantly lighter about the world today. And the Poet Laureate's poem was so, so damn good.

Jan 20, 21 5:52 pm  · 
8  · 
apscoradiales

tduds,

Zbigniew Brzezinski, was a Polish born American counselor to US President Johnson, and a National Security Advisor to President Carter.

By the fact that he was born in Easter Europe, plus some more education made him a good choice to be the advisor to Carter who wasn't really well versed in things communism or World politics in general.

He did alright, imo. But to claim he did away with communism in Soviet Union is more than naive. That claim you can assign to the Russian communists themselves as well as President Reagan and Pope John Paul II, a Pole himself. The commies finally realised that they could not compete with US economically and militarily - weapons race was taking way too much money and energy out of the Soviets. Gorbachev, Soviet President, began to pull the plug on communism with his Glasnost programme, Yeltsin finished it. But it took Reagan to light a fire under them, and probably the person who had the most to do with communism falling apart, from the outside was the Pope. You see, when push-comes-to-shove, religion, particularly Christianity plays a huge part in their lives. They never forget that God put them here in spite of Marx, Engels and Lenin preaching. In other words, they listened to the Pope, even though he was not the head of the Orthodox religion - predominant one in Russia - and the Pope told them, on several occasions, this communism stuff is not good! Drop that shit! So they did. The Pope and Reagan spoke to each other often trying to figure out how to do away with the communists not just in Soviet Union but right across Eastern Europe. I have great admiration for Reagan because of that, but even more that he put pride into Americans after they went through a stupid war in Vietnam and losing it in the end. USA was down and out after that war. Reagan made the Americans feel proud of themselves, their history and many great things that they have done. Frankly, had it not been for him, Americans and the rest of the World might very well be speaking Russian today. This is why I'm nervous with Biden being the President vis-a-vis China. Unless Biden realises China is up to no good, we may all be speaking Mandarin.

Roughly, that's what happened to the commies in Soviet Union, and who put them out of business...and more.

There is a famous story - true - that goes something like this; Gorbachev was looking for advice on what to do, and decided to go and see the Pope in the Vatican. Why, his wife asked. Because he is one of us (a Slav), replied Gorbachev.

Jan 20, 21 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"But to claim he did away with communism in Soviet Union is more than naive." 

Good thing the article doesn't claim that, then.

Jan 20, 21 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The rest of what you said is similarly silly and reductive.

Jan 20, 21 11:09 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Your political views are from the time people smoked in the office ;-)

Jan 21, 21 8:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ooooooh, good old JP the Deuce.

Jan 21, 21 8:13 am  · 
 · 
randomised

"Your political views are from the time people smoked in the office ;-)"

Was meant for aps obvs

Jan 21, 21 6:03 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

Alright tduds,

"...Zbigniew Brzezinski, national security adviser to President Carter, who shattered the Soviet Empire..."

It's ok to disagree, but tell me which part I said is incorrect. You have a different version? I'll be happy to read it.

Jan 21, 21 9:12 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Read the article. It goes into detail.

Jan 21, 21 10:29 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Also please learn to use the reply function, you're mucking up the flow.

Jan 21, 21 10:30 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

"Reply" option doesn't always appear at my end. Dunno why.

Jan 21, 21 10:38 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Bummer, sorry about that.

Jan 21, 21 10:39 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

apscoradiales, are you using the mobile app for Archinect? It’s out of date. That might be why reply isn’t working?

Jan 21, 21 12:27 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

windows laptop, google chrome app

Jan 21, 21 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

chrome app? you mean the browser? I use the browser and see the reply link just fine unless someone I have on ignore posts, then I need to go back to the first post in a thread for the reply link. If you use extensions, one of them might be removing the reply link.

Jan 21, 21 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

yeah, browser. I don't have anyone on ignore list, I don't think. wouldn't know how to set one up, lol. sometimes I see the reply, sometimes I do not.

Jan 21, 21 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

"...tduds

Read the article. It goes into detail..."

No "Reply" option, so I'll start another thread;

I did read the whole article. Now tell me your side. I'm keen to hear it.

Jan 21, 21 10:43 am  · 
 · 
randomised

“a handful of angry idiot Portland kids”

Jan 21, 21 10:48 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Why are you using a screenshot from the largest newspaper in the state to make a point about the media ignoring this protest?

Jan 21, 21 11:56 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

Again all the things you're saying are true and also this is a very poor example of the things you're saying.

Jan 21, 21 11:57 am  · 
1  · 
BabbleBeautiful

Perhaps you or anyone shouldn't be using MSM or any single news source as a way to understand reality.

Any more therapy advice and I'll have to charge.

Jan 21, 21 12:44 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

For the record, this isn't "Antifa", nor is Antifa "embracing" any form of "anarchy". 

The group most likely behind yesterdays events in Portland was PDXYLF. They've been plastering the city with "J20" protest posters & graffiti since November. Of course there's plenty of overlap between the people who show up for protests, and frequently the most destructive elements are the same small group only superficially aligned (& at times not at all aligned) with the protest leaders. But the location, leadership (or lack thereof), tactics, and goals differ. And recognizing these differences is paramount in understanding the events from day to day, month to month. 

To conflate BLM, Antifa, Black Bloc, YLF, or Sunrise, or Extinction Rebellion, into one nebulous "leftist" movement is to reduce the truth to a useless binary. To do this while whining about the lack of "truth" in media is more than a little embarrassing. 

It's extremely frustrating to live near Portland and have to constantly put up with the falsehoods constantly thrown at me by people who have never been to Oregon and would have trouble locating the city on a map of the US, much less the location of the protests on a map of Portland. It's not just you, so excuse me if my disdain for that spills over into this response.

In short, you're out of your element. I'm disengaging from this one. I know you won't, so... cheers.

Jan 21, 21 1:00 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCNUOZG9974

Jan 21, 21 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I give you so much more good faith than you've ever deserved and you act like a complete asshole in response, every time. Fuck off.

Jan 21, 21 1:54 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

He's a tenacious piece of mold, I'll give him that.

Jan 21, 21 2:07 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

My god you're back to this old pap again? You really do only have one point. Like a god damn broken record for the last... what's it been now... 4? 5 years? How many thousands of posts? Fuuuuuck offff.

Jan 21, 21 2:12 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

You're going back on ignore for a few weeks.

Jan 21, 21 2:14 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Wait a minute! I posted that screenshot...just to point out that this local news item has global reach, it was posted on a middle of the road news/opinion site in the Netherlands about the inauguration. I reposted the remark of a handful angry idiot kids as those "antifa!" shouting "kids" in black look quite intimidating to me, no need to downplay im(h)o :-)

Jan 21, 21 5:14 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Whoops. Still... I see a relatively small and relatively young group there.

Jan 21, 21 6:24 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

I can't really see numbers or age, they merge into one because of their standard Antifa all-black dresscode, hoodies and masks, much more intimidating than the Dukes of Hazzard freakshow that stormed the Capitol.

Jan 21, 21 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

more intimidating? oh, then they're obviously worse, then. Since it's a game, we're keeping score, and the better shitty people get to win... what exactly?

Jan 21, 21 7:01 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Rereading the above I realize that my attempt to explain reality might have come off as a tacit condoning of what happened. Just want to chime back in once more to say I definitely don't. My anger above was directed not at the condemnation of violence, but at the misconstruing (deliberately or simply out of naivete) of who was involved, for lazy political "gotcha" points. 

There was a lot about the Portland protests I supported, but lately it seems like they've lost direction and the real changemakers & organizers have moved on. What's left is a largely aimless angry Lord of the Flies esque group of (mostly white middle class) Gen Z'ers who've decided to hijack the momentum to fuck some shit up. It's dumb & self-defeating & I hope they get over it soon, there's real progressive work to be done.

Jan 21, 21 8:33 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Don't you start.

Jan 21, 21 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

"...extreme focus on a right wing inauguartion attack that never even materialized..."

I'm guessing it never materialized, despite their attempts only a week before, had something to do with 25k troops, with live ammo? 

aside from that, you're another waste.

Jan 21, 21 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"That's what you do to deter crime" ... Yeah, if you want to live in a police state. You know, like a fascist state? Otherwise you need to look at the root cause. But the real root cause, not the racist ones that get trotted out when people mention "root cause."

Jan 21, 21 10:46 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Oh, and a preemptory fuck off, because I know that won't change your dumb fucking mind. On ignore you go.

Jan 21, 21 10:47 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

“ more intimidating? oh, then they're obviously worse, then.”

No not worse, just different. Some go out of their way to hide their identity when they commit their crimes, the Dukes of Hazzard-crowd goes out protesting in Halloween party dress and broadcasts their idiocy all over the internet...

Jan 22, 21 2:17 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Biden’s been President for over 24 hours and I’ve only seen ONE tearful video of a QAnon-er crying about the lack of storm. I need more.

Jan 21, 21 12:22 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Well, in those 24hrs, I've got more work done than in the last week or so. Coincidence?

Jan 21, 21 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

You know, I think I'm finally sick of explaining reality to (who I'm assuming are) 40-something white dudes. This thread isn't really about "Politics" anymore, if it ever was. Maybe this is what people think politics is now, but it ain't for me. I tried. Cheers.

Jan 21, 21 9:08 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

yes, but have you tried harder? Don't give up, you can do this!

Jan 21, 21 9:22 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

Depends on the belief. Matter of opinion? Fine. Relligion? Also fine. Whether or not certain people deserve to live? You're an asshole, but maybe not an idiot. That a secret cabal of child-eating satanists run the world? Yeah you're a fucking idiot then.

Jan 21, 21 9:34 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Nothing more fun then people making up shit I didn't say to make their lazy as fuck points against me seem valid. I'm gonna go make dinner and enjoy my life...

Jan 21, 21 9:34 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Non: is that hard enough?

Jan 21, 21 9:35 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

getting better. Needs practice tho... and liquor. Can't let those baby eating wankers win.

Jan 21, 21 9:38 pm  · 
1  · 

Obviously I’m not the target audience because I’m still in my 30s, but I always appreciated your contributions. But I agree that needing to explain reality to refute bad faith arguments gets old pretty quick. I was always hopeful for even the faintest hint at remorse or embarrassment for being so easily taken to task, but some people are beyond self reflection it seems. I’ll say that the ignore button has made this last week a lot easier to bear. It does suck though when you see someone made a comment in a thread but you can’t see it because it’s a reply to a hidden comment, or so I assume when I can’t find anything new, but I can manage. Hope dinner is good.

Jan 21, 21 10:12 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Homer : Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.

Jan 21, 21 10:32 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

2021 Mantra:

Jan 21, 21 10:43 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

" gets old pretty quick" I dunno, you guys lasted a full month longer than I did trying to get humanity from these freaks.

Jan 21, 21 10:48 pm  · 
1  · 

Just because I was participating didn't mean it wasn't boring.

^there's a sexual innuendo joke in there for anyone that wants it.

Jan 21, 21 11:30 pm  · 
4  · 
BabbleBeautiful

No X, the problem is that the conversation is not going anywhere. It's like a closed spiral with a height differential of about 1cm. Put another way, you keep puking like a cat that doesn't know to eat correctly, and tduds is just cleaning it up, day-after-day.

Jan 22, 21 9:24 am  · 
3  · 
tduds

Opinions are conclusions based on facts. Conclusions drawn from incorrect information are incorrect opinions. My goal here has rarely been to challenge opinions, but to challenge the information on which they're based. I'm also rarely trying to change the minds of the ideologues I'm responding to. I'm trying to convince the audience of my viewpoint. It seems to have mostly worked, and no new topics have come up in a while, so I think my work is done for now.

Jan 22, 21 11:40 am  · 
2  · 
BabbleBeautiful

Tell me something: Do you believe you have superior and nuanced comprehension of a reality that affects all of us? A reality, to paraphrase Philip K Dick, is everything that remains after you stop believing in things.

Jan 22, 21 12:12 pm  · 
2  · 
BabbleBeautiful

Oooh ok.

Jan 22, 21 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Common Sense

Jan 22, 21 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

It doesn't make sense? Come on, but it's common sense.

Jan 22, 21 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Jan 22, 21 4:02 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

"...25k troops, with live ammo..." in Free World capital, no less!

WTF has happened to US?

Jan 21, 21 9:54 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Waf happened? They’re simply applying their foreign policy domestically...

Jan 22, 21 2:12 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I only meant that now they’re applying their foreign policing/policy at home...

Jan 22, 21 2:46 am  · 
1  · 

NPR's The Daily had a really lovely episode about Biden's inauguration speech. The Inauguration of Joe Biden from The Daily on RadioPublic

Jan 21, 21 10:05 pm  · 
3  · 
apscoradiales

"...x-jla

The American people don’t have much say in the government’s foreign policy. They do as they please...."

That may be just as well, since geography is not Americans' strength.

Neither is politics, sometimes, by the looks of it.

Jan 22, 21 9:44 am  · 
2  · 
OneLostArchitect

Inauguration protests damage Seattle's Original Starbucks

but but but but.... I thought Biden was gonna heal us? 

Jan 22, 21 11:12 am  · 
1  ·  5
SneakyPete

Maybe stop thinking.

Jan 22, 21 11:43 am  · 
3  ·  2
SneakyPete

Oh, hey, look. Deficits and bipartisanship suddenly matter to the Party of Hypocritical Fuckfaces (GOP) again. 

Jan 22, 21 2:19 pm  · 
4  ·  2
SneakyPete
Jan 22, 21 2:36 pm  · 
2  ·  1
tduds

Like clockwork.

Jan 24, 21 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Please don't mistake my criticism of the Republican party for support of the Democratic party. Neither is particularly effective, but one is intentionally ineffective.

Jan 24, 21 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Jan 23, 21 1:47 am  · 
1  ·  1
randomised

why would anyone downvote bernie? or crochet for that matter...

Jan 26, 21 3:44 am  · 
 · 

Senate Filibuster ... keep or delete?

Jan 23, 21 6:50 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

stop with the distractions and focus on stacking the supreme court

Jan 23, 21 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

noted

Jan 23, 21 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Nope, get rid of it.

Jan 24, 21 11:27 am  · 
 · 
tduds

They've proven time and time again they can't use it responsibly, so they shouldn't have the option.

Jan 24, 21 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Stack the Supreme Court ... yay or nay?

Jan 23, 21 10:31 pm  · 
1  ·  1
randomised

None of my business but yay! If it helps pushing the agenda that’s supported by the majority of the people, why not?

Jan 24, 21 4:25 am  · 
Wood Guy

I think the court should be balanced. But apparently Republicans are always going to try to win at all costs, so if we can stack the court with Progressives, I'm fine with that.

Jan 24, 21 10:45 am  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

There's nothing in the Constitution setting the number, it's been as high as 13. Stack it. There are 10 circuits, one for each justice, two for Roberts, the regions are not equitably distributed, adding more judges allows for greater representation, more equity in decisions, and better for the people. More, in this case, is better.

Jan 24, 21 11:25 am  · 
 · 
randomised

The only reason Republicans sometimes get the majority is because of gerrymandering...should the make up of your Supreme Court be decided by such antidemocratic practices, by the radical minority?

Jan 24, 21 3:59 pm  · 
5  · 
tduds

k

Jan 24, 21 4:11 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

I've given up on good faith responses to your incessant repetitive reductive bullshit. So, yeah, I am just gonna be a dick about it now. Way more fun, imo.

Jan 24, 21 4:31 pm  · 
4  · 
tduds

The difference between you and I is when I'm an asshole, it's on purpose.

Jan 24, 21 4:34 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

We did this one already. I worry about your memory sometimes.

Jan 24, 21 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

tduds, early in the pandemic I was saying something to a group of people I haven't really spoken with since graduating HS. Realizing after the fact that I could have said something that might have offended them, I apologized for any inadvertent offense I might have caused. They all laughed it off and said it was weird that I'd go back to apologize for it. I replied that I didn't want anyone to be offended accidentally. If anyone is going to be offended, I want it to be because I purposefully meant to offend them.

Jan 24, 21 5:30 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Delayed response, but x-jla, if your comment about Democrats appointing Republicans to the court was directed at me, that's not what I said. It's clear that Rs will stop at nothing to stack the courts, including blocking Garland but ramming through Barrett. Not to mention all of the other courts. If we're going to be stuck with a 2-party system, I think it would be fair to ensure the court is balanced between the two. Since neither side is going to do that voluntarily (but one party is much more inclined to compromise) I think that while the Ds are in control they should do what they can to balance what Trump has done with the courts.

Jan 24, 21 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

If jla needs a memory refresher of my previous attempt I made at having a discussion around the Supreme Court, he can go back and read page 3. If all he's going to do is repeat the same garbage he can go read his previous comments. In the meantime, since I figured the landscape had changed now that Dems control the senate and the presidency, we could discuss it again without having to rehash the same garbage.

Jan 24, 21 7:13 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Merrick Garland is fairly 'conservative'

Jan 24, 21 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Tduds, that's a classic example of D's "compromising" by holding the center, while in the next act the R's take a big step to the right. And the center shifts with it. It's been happening for decades.

Jan 24, 21 8:22 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

Bingo.

Jan 24, 21 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

There is simply no left wing voice in US government. There is a center-right party, with a vocal but small progressive caucus, and there is an authoritarian theocratic party, with an increasingly vestigial pro-business arm. Decrying both major parties as "too extreme" in effect gives cover to the actually extremist party.

Jan 24, 21 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I don't care if a Dem has it or a "Republican" has it, the later is laughable on so many levels, but I'll bite. If we had three justices per circuit, two Rs/1D, I'll still wager we'll get a better reflection of the population. I think justice, and justices, are better served, if they reflect the body politic. I think it's better to have judges elected, and not appointed, even for federal.

Jan 24, 21 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

'Depending on what your parameters are for “extreme”' 

Attempting to overturn a democratic election seems like a line we can all agree on.

Jan 24, 21 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

X-jla, I think the Dems will win for two years but will mostly bungle the opportunity, the economy is going to suck and idiots are going to vote red in 2024 because they think it will help the economy. I hope I'm wrong.  

Tduds, we need a stronger progressive party to balance what the Tea Party and Trump have done to the right. Unfortunately, progressives tend to be critical thinkers and don't get along as well as those on the far right. 

Jan 24, 21 11:34 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Compared to right wingers, yes, progressives are definitely better at parsing truth from fantasy. Possibly in part because we typically have had a lot more education and training in critical thinking, and we tend to be less religious--i.e., "trust but verify" vs. blind faith.

Jan 25, 21 9:32 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

If the courts were applying absolute truths then we wouldn't have to worry about their political leanings. But everything is up for discussion, there are different ways of interpreting the constitution and despite right wing fantasies it has been updated as times have changed. So the political makeup of the courts does matter.

Jan 25, 21 9:34 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I believe I was clear. I expect the Republicans will do it whether I want them to or not. For once I would like to see the Democrats play hardball instead of their go-to of compromising.

Jan 25, 21 10:40 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Why are we referring to Republican court packing in the future tense? It's been happening for close to 40 years. All we're asking for is a re-balance.

Jan 25, 21 10:49 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What's interesting, and as per usual, I never mentioned "majority rule", in fact I firmly believe that the tyranny of the minority is more problematic. I wrote, that if we had more justices, they would better reflect the body politik.

Jan 25, 21 12:22 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Of course it is, a constitution is a living/breathing thing...it was supposed to be rewritten all the time, they didn't claim to have all the wisdom for all of eternity, did they?

Jan 26, 21 4:41 am  · 
3  · 
tduds

Meanwhile, using actual quotes.

jla: "I posted an inconvenient reality- the threat of far left violence"

Inconvenient Reality: 

"Over the past 10 years (2007-2016), domestic extremists of all kinds have killed at least 372 people in the United States. Of those deaths, approximately 74% were at the hands of right-wing extremists, about 24% of the victims were killed by domestic Islamic extremists, and the remainder [ed: thats 2%!] were killed by left-wing extremists."
https://www.adl.org/resources/...

"Unlike 2016, a year dominated by the Pulse nightclub shootings in Orlando, Florida, committed by an Islamic extremist, a majority of the 2017 murders were committed by right-wing extremists, primarily white supremacists, as has typically been the case most years."
https://www.adl.org/resources/...

"Right-wing extremists were linked to at least 50 extremist-related murders in the United States in 2018, making them responsible for more deaths than in any year since 1995"
https://www.adl.org/news/press...

"As is typically the case, the extremist-related murders of 2019 were overwhelmingly (90%) linked to right-wing extremists. All but one of the incidents had ties to right-wing extremism."
https://www.adl.org/murder-and...

If, in the face of this evidence, you feel the overwhelming need to point out the single digit percentage of political violence linked to the left wing, perhaps it is you who is failing to grapple with an inconvenient reality. This is why people in this forum don't take you seriously. 

Jan 24, 21 8:28 pm  · 
4  · 
tduds

Get back here with those goalposts.

Jan 24, 21 10:36 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Key word “In the United States”

Ok fine

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/countering-radical-right/western-europe-right-wing-terrorism-rise/

Jan 24, 21 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Feudalism killed a lot of people too. But we don't talk about it in the Politics Central thread because it isn't a thing currently happening in our political environment.

Jan 24, 21 10:42 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

There is no "communism" today, and never has been. It's tyrannical dictatorships we've had, and keep having.

Jan 25, 21 9:26 am  · 
 · 
tduds

sigh

Jan 25, 21 10:48 am  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

tduds, he's clearly not worth your time or effort. It's time to move on.

Jan 25, 21 3:04 pm  · 
4  · 
square.

this thread was getting interesting when people started ignoring him. now it's back to the same old cesspool.

Jan 25, 21 3:23 pm  · 
4  · 
tduds

Yeah... going back to trolling. The least I can do is entertain myself.

Jan 25, 21 3:44 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

it takes less and less time to refute your inane both-sides-ism obsession. you're completely delusional... i've seen a rock grow more than your nonexistent ability to say anything new.

https://twitter.com/BrendanKee...

Jan 25, 21 5:31 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

profound. you've mentioned that several thousand times (not an exaggeration based on how many posts you have contributed).

what else?

Jan 25, 21 5:39 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

"So you are only concerned with right wing violence because that’s been the predominant manifestation of political violence in a small particular place and time."
When I have a broken arm, I am primarily concerned with mending the broken arm. When a house is on fire, the primary concern is putting out the fire. You're, in a sense, sitting at a house fire talking about zoning. Doesn't mean zoning doesn't need fixing, but at the moment the fuckin' house is on fire. 

"You guys are so locked into this false idea that right=bad left=good"
No, you are locked into the idea that right = bad left = also bad, such that you can't (or worse, won't) see the disparity in severity between the two. 

"I’ve stated my positions sooo many times"
Yeah, and we're asking you to stop so other people can have conversations. I know *you* don't think you're right wing (I also don't think you are. I can't speak for others), but as I've said a hundred times before, your insistence on both-sidesing every conversation to death does less to illuminate the sins of one group (which, by the way, we all know about and acknowledge constantly) and more to provide cover for the greater sins of the other group. & that's before we even get into the various inaccuracies of labeling littered throughout this inane & incessant rant-fest. 

Every reply comes back to this & it really sucks. You're impeding more interesting conversations

Jan 25, 21 6:02 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

X-jla, you're a right-of-center libertarian. Every right-of-center libertarian I know thinks they are dead center. But they aren't.

(I'm left-of-center with somewhat libertarian values.)

Jan 25, 21 6:04 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

The fact that x-lax doesn't know the difference between being a shitty human being and providing excuses for shitty human beings is what caused me to start thinking he was a pretty shitty human being.

Jan 25, 21 7:31 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Still this.

Jan 25, 21 7:46 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

let’s go Buffalo!

Jan 24, 21 8:31 pm  · 
1  · 

I brought the filibuster up first because getting rid of it will actually allow congress to actually do something without having to grovel for compromises at Mitch's feet, but the court is really the next step if Dems want anything they pass in the next 2 years to stick around. It doesn't matter what laws you pass (with or without the filibuster) if the partisan court decides they're unconstitutional. And you know the Republican attorneys general are ready to take anything to the courts now that they know they have a solid majority there. They showed that with the election challenges. They only reason it didn't work was because they were so incompetent, not because the judges were principled or anything like that.

I think getting rid of the filibuster is inevitable at this point. Republicans latest attempt to take down the ACA through zeroing out the penalty through reconciliation (and now SCOTUS) is the tipping point for me. Reconciliation is the way to work around the filibuster, but it's not going to work for everything either party wants to get passed. So whether it's Democrats now, or Republicans sometime in the future ... they'll go nuclear to get rid of it to get something they really want (as Mitch did to get 3 partisan supreme court justices, and as Harry did to get past Republican obstructionism on lower court judges previously). It's only a matter of time.

I don't think the effect will really be all that dramatic either. If the president and congress are on the same page, laws will get passed (arguably this *is* dramatic in today's political climate). If they aren't on the same page, the president's veto power will be used and then congress will figure out if they have veto-proof majorities or not. Seems closer to what the founders intended anyway, no?

Jan 25, 21 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

There's no irony there. One thing is real, the other isn't.

Jan 25, 21 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If people didn't take pity on you the entire fucking Politics Central would look like this, wouldn't it?

Jan 27, 21 6:09 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Yet you still replied. If you truly felt above it you'd say nothing.

Jan 27, 21 9:42 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

shit. broke my own rule.

Jan 27, 21 9:42 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I AM SELF AWARE THANK YOU

Jan 28, 21 12:20 am  · 
1  · 
BabbleBeautiful

A rambling thought:

I should preface this by the fact that my interest in deeply understanding current American politics started around the debates before the end of Obama's last term. So, my understanding of it's history is limited. 

Onto my rambling though. If we were to continue this back-and-forth of party agendas every 4 years what does that say about the nation's stability and progress towards anything? I know "progress" is a loaded term these days, but let's just take it at face value.

Granted, not everything change be changed so easily, such as Supreme Court assignments, or the ACA, but if the next president is not Biden and decides to reverse everything Biden has/is reversing then where can this nation go?

Jan 28, 21 11:10 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

12th Amendment.

Jan 28, 21 11:42 am  · 
 · 
tduds

So you think it should be repealed?

Jan 28, 21 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Forgive my grammar and poor editing.

Jan 28, 21 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

You don't. The question wasn't leading.

Jan 28, 21 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Which is to repeal the 12th Amendment?

Jan 28, 21 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Partisanship aside, the executive is simply too powerful.

Jan 28, 21 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

A number of past Democratic presidents have included Republicans in their cabinet. I can't think of a time where the opposite has occurred.

Jan 29, 21 11:10 am  · 
 · 
tduds

No I'm assuming that you don't think Republicans are worse than Democrats, which is our fundamental disagreement.

Jan 29, 21 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Belief in democracy, for starters.

Jan 29, 21 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

"...x-jla

True. I think the solution should be to have the president who wins election and the vp who loses from the other party..."

LOL, so you want to move up the bipartisanship bickering from Legislative branch to the Executive branch?  Much good that will do. It will simply move the bs one step higher.

Jan 28, 21 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Retiring after one term would be a good challenge to Biden.

Jan 28, 21 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Gore / Lieberman was kind of a unity ticket (& I think the US would have been a lot better off had they won). From a strictly policy perspective, Biden / Harris is kind of a unity ticket. Biden being slightly right of center, Harris being slightly left.

Jan 28, 21 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

how does it benefit biden or the democrats to reach across the aisle when republicans are so corrupt? they're going to have to get rid of mcconnell and clean up the mess he made before there can be any sort of inroads toward bipartis anship.

Jan 29, 21 7:22 pm  · 
2  · 
apscoradiales

Global population control financed by US taxpayers.

US President Joe Biden has reversed a ban on federal funds going to international aid groups that perform or inform about abortions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world...

Not to be outdone, Canadian Prime Minister has been funding the same programme for a while now by using Canadian taxpayers money.

Jan 28, 21 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Awesome.

Jan 28, 21 10:56 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

And if your country is not so forward leaning, there’s always Women on Waves, an abortion boat funded by the Dutch government to aid women worldwide in family planning! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_on_Waves

Jan 29, 21 2:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Very awesome.

Jan 29, 21 6:09 am  · 
 · 
tduds

You know what keeps unwanted people out of our country way more effectively than walls? Planned Parenthood.

Jan 29, 21 11:09 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Data indicates the best way to reduce the rate of abortion is to provide safe, legal, access to it (in addition to comprehensive sexual education & easy access to contraception). Banning abortions doesn't stop abortions, it kills women. That's all I'm going to say about this very uncontroversial topic.

Jan 29, 21 11:21 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Jla, there is zero debate to be had here. Don't play the same inane game as the religious zealots with term definitions and whatnot. If you don't like abortion, fine, don't have one. Any other opinion on this matter is pointless.

Jan 29, 21 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you are not. We've explained this to you numerous times. Not our fault it's too difficult for you.

Jan 29, 21 11:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: