Archinect
anchor

Project staffing for 100 person firm: growing pains

dominiond

Hi all-

Would anyone be willing to share how you manage staffing your projects (i.e. do all of your PMs meet weekly/biweekly to staff people on projects or do you have single senior executive that determines how projects are staffed, etc...)

We are a firm that has rapidly grown from 50 people to 100 people so we are finding staffing management a challenge from the time it now takes- Excel just doesn’t cut it anymore.

Thanks all for your input-

Dec 28, 17 2:07 pm
archietechie

Hire a HR manager & open a corresponding department.

Dec 28, 17 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

A weekly PM meeting is pretty common.  You should have someone in your management team take responsibility and devote time to directing these staffing meetings and resolving conflicting demands from PM's.  

Know that project quality will suffer if you constantly shuffle people from one project to another.  

Dec 28, 17 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
dominiond

Thanks for your advice- do you mean having a " Director of Staffing" who basically herds/manages the PMs to resolve staffing conflicts? Right now, it's almost like a stock exchange and people are swapping team members based on skill sets. I agree that constantly shuffling can lead to inefficiency.

Dec 29, 17 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I've seen more of a "Director of Operations" that is a seasoned architect who manages staffing/production. Depending on firm size, that person may focus fully management or they may have time to do some other things. It is key that this person be fair and objective , I've been in offices where staffing decisions became very political and assignments were made based on favoritism.

Dec 30, 17 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

In my experience, staff shuffling is also a big cause of errors and omissions, the kind you get sued for.

Dec 30, 17 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: