anchor

guess the plan [building]

jw468

Can someone please post a plan for me.

Sep 29, 17 8:14 am
randomised

Sure!

jw468

I like that this is basically the opposite of the last plan you posted!

randomised

Me too!

randomised

Here it is:

Sep 29, 17 9:22 am
quondam...

hint: http://www.quondam.com/25/2588a.htm aka architecture that's glad to see you

JLC-1

An hommage to Hef! now post the second story plan.

randomised

2nd storey

Sep 29, 17 12:56 pm
randomised

and more

Sep 29, 17 1:16 pm
randomised

and final

Sep 29, 17 1:21 pm
randomised

So I guess quondam, you're up!

quondam...

"hot dog" Schule 3rd prize

Sep 29, 17 1:52 pm
threadkilla

more hints, please?

I am guessing that "hot dog"=Wiener=Vienna, but that's not helping me find anything...

randomised

That hot dog hint could also mean Frankfurt(er)...

Oct 3, 17 4:51 am
randomised

Doing google searches on mobile is sooo annoying

quondam...

Frankfurt, yes, school of money stuff competition 2013, oddly not on the office's website

randomised

Without knowing or ever having seen the project, besides the plan posted here. It's OMA's submission for the new Campus for the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management in 2013:

https://www.competitionline.co...

Found it just in time to edit my comment :)

http://afasiaarq.blogspot.nl/2...

quondam...

congratulations

randomised

Interesting project, where'd you find that one? Never seen it before myself.

quondam...

apparently I "found it" the only place there is to find it

threadkilla

The concrete model is pretty awesome

randomised

Next one (I'll be travelling so might take a while to check in):

Oct 4, 17 1:47 am
JLC-1

goetheanum?

threadkilla

Goetheanum has more of a figure-8, Melnikov-house-type plan

threadkilla

My first instinct (based on the dome) was that this might be Otto Wagner's Steinhof Kirche. But that's definitely not it

JLC-1

I've never seen floor plans for either, and the goetheanum has that weird shaped shell, my bad.

threadkilla

so it's a byzantine/classical church plan annotated in German with Hector Guimard-esque lettering... I'm giving up looking for now, but this is an interesting one for sure

threadkilla

Max Berg, Centennial Hall (Jahrhunderthalle aka Hala Stulecia) 1911-1913 in Wroclaw (formerly Breslau), Poland

once I gave up thinking of this as a church because of the gigantic
scale, I just looked around for the largest concrete dome of the period I thought this is from

threadkilla

A Cathedral for Democracy

"Built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the four-day Battle of Leipzig in 1813.In this “Battle of Nations,” as it is also known, coalition forces from Austria, Germany, Russia, and Sweden won a decisive victory over Napoleon Bonaparte and his occupying armies.Designed by German architect Max Berg (1870–1947), Centennial Hall is equal in scale to the military event it memorializes."

http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/ke... (with a neat construction sequence video)

https://en.wikiarquitectura.co...

apparently the construction workers did not want to pull the formwork after the concrete has been placed, for lack of trust in the 'new' material, until the architect started doing so with a few volunteers...

Oct 4, 17 6:33 pm
randomised

Well done, great research!

fictional\_/Christopher

Appreciate the history and info as always

threadkilla

next:

Oct 4, 17 7:25 pm
threadkilla

hint: this architect's curvaceous work has already been featured in this thread

JLC-1

google image search returned "auto parts", ha!

threadkilla

Love it! Auto parts is actually a valid secondary hint that might help one find the architect earlier in this thread. Third hint: this is a church plan.

randomised

Reverse image search not allowed!

threadkilla

This building is in Vienna

a-f

I don't know, but while googling I came across this gem:

jw468

Auferstehung Christi, Karl Schwanzer

threadkilla

That's it!

threadkilla

By the way, the plan posted by a-f is for the Kirche Zur Heiligsten Dreifaltigkeit (Church of the Most Holy Trinity) by Fritz Wotruba, built around the same time (mid-70s) as Schwanzer's Auferstehung Christi (Church of the Ressurrection of Christ). Colloquially known as the Wotruba Church, it was notably erected on the former site of Nazi barracks.

jw468

Here's an easy one:

Oct 14, 17 7:24 pm
fictional\_/Christopher

Without researchinf gut feeling richard meier in Atlanta

fictional\_/Christopher

Guess i was right...High Museum of Art

Atlanta, Georgia

1980 - 1983

jw468

Yes!

fictional\_/Christopher

next...

Oct 15, 17 4:47 pm
fictional\_/Christopher

Hint 1: built. Architect help define the skyline of a US city.

quondam...

I think it's by Helmut Jahn (or Murphy/Jahn), but I can't think of the name of the project--late '70s early '80s(?).

fictional\_/Christopher

Architect is correct.

Tinbeary There there

The Illinois Center?

quondam...

just a guess from a list of works:

1981 United States Post Office, Oak Brook, Illinois 

fictional\_/Christopher

Getting very warm. 1981 is correct year. Illinois is also correct.

fictional\_/Christopher

Its within a half our drive of the post office

Tinbeary There there

Bump. I'm stumped. Somebody has to know it. 

Oct 17, 17 10:44 pm
fictional\_/Christopher

hints: it's on a campus and about 100 yards away a famous American artist has one of his first outdoor sculptures.

threadkilla

Is it the De La Garza Career Centre? I've seen that plan drawing before, but couldn't remember where or who it was by...

fictional\_/Christopher

last hint (partial text from a publication)

Brief:  The program calls for 215,000 SF of office space and support space for the Chicago Branch of the _______ and ______.  The brief envisions the building as pilot and demonstration project for passive solar energy use, future use of solar collectors and energy conscious design.

Site: The building is located on the east end of the _____, in close proximity to the existing cafeteria.  Buildings surround the ____ house science laboratories.  Emphasis has been placed in the design to disrupt the natural wooded setting of the site as little as possible.

Solution: The round shape was generated in response to the road network....

The circle encloses a maximum amount of area with minimal enclosure....

The interior concept is based on open office planning and maximum use of daylight to increase user comfort and conserve energy...

Artificial lighting is with a task-ambient system, which is coordinated with natural lighting and air distribution....

Systems: The consequent and systematic realization of this concept led to a coordinated responsive development of structure, enclosure, skylights, ceiling and environmental systems.  These technical systems are an integral part of the building's solution and form....

Statement: The statement of the building goes beyond rational pragmatic problem solving. It deals with ideas on spatial organization and movement, the effects of daylight and the creation of an environment as an alternative to conventional office space.

Oct 18, 17 11:15 pm
fictional\_/Christopher

Dan Graham outdoor sculpture nearbay.

fictional\_/Christopher

Do i get to post another if no one gets it?

Oct 19, 17 5:15 pm
Danlazop

Argonne National Laboratory? This picture is the only one i coud find on google and is from a Dan Graham model of the building. Pretty sweet.

Oct 19, 17 5:36 pm
fictional\_/Christopher

You got it! I will scan in a few images when home later.

fictional\_/Christopher

some more drawings

the key detail

the view of entrance via Dan Graham's outdoor sculpture

Oct 19, 17 8:37 pm
Danlazop

Love the drawings, specially that axo. Wondering about the story behind the Dan Graham model, any idea?

Tinbeary There there

Interesting project, I'm surprised I have not heard of it.

Danlazop

Ok, my turn. Wasn't really familiar with this project till a few years, wondering how well known it is:

Oct 20, 17 7:58 am

My first thought was Castelvecchio, but no, that's not it. Might be a similar intervention in a medieval ruin?

Tinbeary There there

I thought Castelvecchio as well. It's not?

Danlazop

No. Intervention in medieval ruins yes, but this is on Northern Europe.

quondam...

Museum of Hamar -- Sverre Fehn

Danlazop

Bingo!

quondam...

Swiss but not Swiss Canton

Oct 20, 17 11:35 am
fictional\_/Christopher

built or unbuilt?

quondam...

It is a commissioned design; uncertain as to whether the commission is currently being carried out or not.

threadkilla

please sir, can i have some more hints?

quondam...

If it's "not Swiss Canton," then what Canton is it?

It's one of three museums.

Not Jewish, not Muslim, but _________.

Put the three correct words in google and voila!

Oct 26, 17 12:18 pm
jw468

Christian Kerez, Guangzhou Cultural District

quondam...

Bravo!

threadkilla

I only got as far as looking for swiss architects working in China...

jw468

Next:

Oct 27, 17 12:18 am
Danlazop

Gordon Bunshaft's Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library.

jw468

Yes! Please claim your prize!

Danlazop

some images:

Oct 27, 17 10:49 am
Danlazop

Ok, here we go:

Oct 27, 17 2:38 pm

Oyster bar gives it away: Downtown Athletic Club

threadkilla

https://youtu.be/gzsJsbGLTUY this has re-defined how I read that chapter of Delirious New York

Has this one been posted? 

Oct 27, 17 3:04 pm
Danlazop

Always loved that drawing, how much of the master plan was actually built?

Enough of it ;)

quondam...

Candilis, Josic, Woods -- Berlin Free University

threadkilla

I've been fascinated with this one ever since seeing a pretty damn good model of it on the wall in the halls of the first architecture school I went to, with a grade of "C" prominently displayed beside the model. Mat building extraordinaire.

google maps link to the real thing

quondam...

not Berlin Free University, but maybe somewhat inspired by, as well as inspired by Le Corbusier's Palais des Congres

Oct 27, 17 4:31 pm

thought it was OMA's Jussieu library at a glance. But no.

threadkilla

close, but no cigar - it's OMA's Agadir Convention Centre, 1990

threadkilla

archinect, why did it have to be so damn hard to format image posts?

threadkilla

Oct 28, 17 1:02 am
randomised

Love this plan. Diamond House B, 1963-67, John Hejduk

randomised

More here on his Diamond Projects:

threadkilla

It's Diamond Museum C, but let's allow it :) seemed an appropriate counterpoint to the Agadir project

http://socks-studio.com/2016/0...

randomised

Darn it, in the article I found and which is referenced by socks studio it's captioned House B. I knew it was Hejduk's Diamond Project but had to google for the specifics. Very disappointed :(

quondam...

3122q the influence of Le Corbusier's Palais des Congrès on Hejduk's House 10: Museum

2452 the influence of Le Corbusier's Tower of Shadows on Hejduk's Diamond Series over all via a morphing of the Tower of Shadows onto House 10: Museum

threadkilla

randimised, apparently people find it hard to keep up with Hejduk's nomenclature, but since you clearly knew what the drawing was you should post the next one :)

threadkilla

quondam, I recall discovering your website (this was before I signed up for this forum) when I was researching Hejduk in the latter half of grad school. Admittedly I am still baffled by your archive (and the incomprehensibly jaggy linework), but at the time (2010) it was the most comprehensive collection of evolutionary links between Corb's and Hejduk's projects. I don't know that I always "buy" your theories, or appreciate your own spin offs, but reading through all of that material you've gathered has at one time shaped a fair deal of my thinking. I don't imagine you would care, but my project ended up somewhere between the Diamond Museum and Mies' Neue Nationalgallerie, with a requisite dose of Jonathan Lasker (as per the instructor's requirements) - I really ought to revisit it when I find some time to do so...

quondam...

The line work is jaggy because all the drawings featured online are screen clips of the drawings as they appear within the cad software I use. I don't know if there is any way I can instantly change all the jagged lines into 'straight line' because it seems to be (at least to me) that it's still a function of the screen resolution. Do you know how I could easily fix all that? Anyway, "Diamond Museum and Mies' Neue Nationalgallerie, with a requisite dose of Jonathan Lasker" sounds very interesting to me.

threadkilla

Not instant, but doable if you can open the cad files in almost any current cad software, or even illustrator, fix the lineweights, and export as .pdfs or high res .png files... You can probably get an intern to blast through it in a summer, or somebody to write a script to do it... Info is great, but increasingly hard to look at these days. Anyways, that was my way of saying thanks :) looking forward to the next plan!

threadkilla

Also, if you can provide any further disambiguation between the Diamond projects beyond this quote from the socks-studio website, that would be great!

Whereas the three projects are, according to the architect, explorations of the formal implications of the “diamond canvases of Mondrian for architects of today”, each one focus on the implications of the diamond configuration via different elements such as columns (House A), planes (House B) and biomorphic shapes (Museum C).

randomised

Okay will post next, difficult to live up to this after this lecture ;)

Oct 28, 17 2:03 pm
Danlazop

Felix Nussbaum Haus by Daniel Libeskind.

Danlazop

pics:

I'm not a fan of Libeskind but I did like some of his early projects like this and the Berlin Jewish Museum. There was something punk about them that got lost when he became corporate.

Oct 28, 17 7:38 pm
randomised

Same here, really liked his early work when I was a student. Was curious to find out if the Nussbaum Haus was too easy or too obscure.

Danlazop

Might be obscure. I got the chance to see an exhibition of his models for this and some of his early projects at the beginning of the 2000's. They were quite beautiful and using unconventional materials for the time, like newspaper and other sort of re-used things. Very deconstructivist. So that project stuck with me.

randomised

Only ever saw pictures of those models, lucky you.

Danlazop

here we go. This architects are very trendy right now, specially by being somehow introduced into the pop culture.

Oct 29, 17 10:09 am
randomised

Nov 1, 17 2:00 am
randomised

Bumping it right to the top of the forum page!

Danlazop

hints: in contrast to a previous post, this one is a Swiss project by non Swiss architects.

Nov 1, 17 7:34 am
jw468

Bündner Kunstmuseum Extension by Barozzi Veiga

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/08...

Danlazop

Correct!

jw468

Next:

Nov 1, 17 12:17 pm
JLC-1

vitra fire station zha.

jw468

Yes!

JLC-1

my turn

Nov 1, 17 3:50 pm
quondam...

Oscar Niemeyer: French Communist Party ("PCF") headquarters, Paris, 1965. -- Thought it might be Niemeyer, but it's not in the books I have, so googled 'Oscar Niemeyer plan' and there it is.

Nov 1, 17 6:53 pm
JLC-1

That's correct! It's not very widely published.

quondam...

likely a very unhelpful hint: Risk-y location

Nov 2, 17 10:56 am
threadkilla

Умная Школа в Иркутске / Umnaya Shkola aka Smart School in Irkusk by MVRDV.

https://www.mvrdv.nl/projects/...

great hint!

quondam...

correct! did you have prior knowledge of the project, or did the hint actually help?!?

threadkilla

I remember the competition call from Strelka (http://smartschooltender.ru/en), because they were relatively new and I was looking into them around that time (2015). The hint helped a lot because it reminded me of the competition, and since MVRDV didn't win the hint made it a lot easier to identify the design as well. Winning entry: https://cebraarchitecture.dk/p... not sure when the anticipated project completion is, but should be a great thing to watch this 'new smart school system' as it is implemented across Russia and former soviet territories, if this pilot works out

Nov 3, 17 12:00 pm
threadkilla

Nov 3, 17 2:36 pm
JLC-1

abu dahbi louvre? jean nouvel? not sure

JLC-1

nope

sanaa - 21st century museum Kanazawa

:

Nov 3, 17 4:50 pm

can't resist:

Nov 3, 17 5:00 pm
threadkilla

Tomihiro Art Museum by aat + makoto yakomizo, in Gunma prefecture

Did not know about it (surprisingly, given the complementary affinity of he plan to SANAA's museum of the 21st C). It felt like another Japanese design, and didn't take that mhch digging to find. https://www.archdaily.com/6320...

circle takes the square!

threadkilla

a few images, for compare/contrast to SANAA's 21st century museum above

interesting to compare this construction photo to the construction photo from Karl Schwanzer's church, above^^^

threadkilla

Nov 8, 17 8:59 am
quondam...

Herzog & de Meuron, Forum 2004 Building, Barcelona.

threadkilla

yes, aka "Museo Blau".

threadkilla

aka Museum of Natural History

quondam...

talk about flying under the radar . . . always liked this building for its abundance of unusualness

threadkilla

loved going for a run along the beach ' to the Forum and back' with my mates when we studied in Barcelona that one semester. The space under the wedge is completely public, and was (might still be?) a huge skateboarding destination. Talk about 'phenomenal de-materialization'... All the dust settling on the shotcrete made the exterior look pretty gnarly in a less-than-ideal way, though.

quondam...

Yes it's ________, but what does he call this place?

Nov 8, 17 11:46 am
threadkilla

Piranesi's Campo Marzio, your redrawing / retracing of it...

this much I knew, but I didn't know what this fragment is, or what Giovanni Batista called it. So I entered the quondam museum here - http://www.quondam.com/53/5325d.htm. I then found a higher res version of Piranesi's Indexed Topographic map where this area is marked as Pompeian Theatre, then searched around the quondam buildings/spaces index for the Encyclopedia Ichnographica - http://www.quondam.com/53/5381.htm - with a query of "Pompej" until I hit the jackpot - http://www.quondam.com/27/2736.htm - Horti prius Pompejani deim Marci Antonii. I feel a little bit more exhausted than when I started this research...mostly because I originally mistook this plan for the Temple of Augustus Ceasar (http://www.quondam.com/53/5383...) resulting in prolonged staring at Piranesi's plans and etchings before I 're-orineted' the search...
are there any images of the gardens, Mr. Lauf? I only found photographs of Marc Anthony performing at Madison Square Gardens...

quondam...

a less exhaustive approach would have been to go straight to the source

threadkilla

ugh, I don't know what was going on last night with me and this website - circuits shorting out somewhere...

threadkilla

enough triangles, here's another one of these

https://imgur.com/zUzrd7E

did we break archinect image posting?

Nov 9, 17 10:28 pm
threadkilla

just trying to post a pretty picture...

Danlazop

Is that a moat around it?

quondam...

Is that Fuller's geodesic dome at Expo 67 -- the USA Pavilion?

threadkilla

yes, it's the Montreal Biosphère by Buckminster Fuller and Shoji Sadao.

I suppose the geodesic dome is a kind of a moat, conceptually.

threadkilla

if any of the moderators on here could clean up my multipost mess, that would be pretty sweet. for some reason none of the images were displaying when I made the posts last night - might have been an isp issue...

quondam...

the monorail track in the plan is what gave it away for me . . . had a kind-of picnic just the other side of the fence of the naked post-fire dome in 1978 and the next day was sipping brunch cocktails in Phyllis Lambert's diaphanous curtain-full downtown Montreal loft . . . funny times those late seventies . . .

quondam...

Oddly, Louis I. Kahn designed and built pretty much the same program in a whole other place . . . had a kind-of picnic on the grass berm next to the Kahn building sometime in the late seventies as well.

Nov 10, 17 1:55 pm
threadkilla

that looks like something you did to Corbusier's Venice Hospital proposal... does it not violate these guidelines?

"- must be a plan published by others and noteworthy

- black and white if possible"

quondam...

the plan was first published by "others" and is "noteworthy" and was first published in color(s which are reproduced above)!

threadkilla

ok then. I see a Stephen Lauf project based on the Venice Hospital by Corb... back to regular work for now

quondam...

the plan was designed when I was seven or eight years old, but I had no idea of its existence at that time

threadkilla

Je suis désolé, it's Le Corbusier's Electronic Calculation Center for Olivetti!

quondam...

that's right, Le Corbusier's staff used to joke that it was "the big chip on his shoulder"

threadkilla

I can see why - it's a pretty crazy looking plan for 1963, though the model looks more like a typical Corb project.That section though, oh-la-la!

quondam...

and the plan just gets better the more you get to know it...

threadkilla

one building, first and second floor plans

Nov 10, 17 3:31 pm
threadkilla

Quite a 'revolutionary' little building, made a bit of a splash in Paris it's time...

Nov 11, 17 9:39 am
threadkilla

That time was one for a "new spirit", as per Le Corbusier, who also made quite a provocative little building for the same occassion. Some sources claim that Corb has said this one (the posted plan), was the only one of the bunch really worth looking at.

threadkilla

There's also a house by the same architect posted earstwhile in this thread

a-f

Your post was littered with clues so it was easy to remember Melnikow's Soviet pavillion!

threadkilla

Yes, the USSR pavilion at the 1925 Paris International Exhibition of Modern Decorative and Indistrial Arts by Konstantin Melnikov

a-f

Has this been posted yet?

Nov 14, 17 9:04 am
threadkilla

Feels like a Niemeyer or a Lina Bo Bardi?... No time to research today

threadkilla

I was wrong with that hunch. Hints?

a-f

The architect might have visited the Soviet Pavilion since he was living in Paris at that time. This is his most known, unbuilt, work. Most of his career involved teaching in the US.

Nov 22, 17 2:58 pm
Danlazop

Is the architect american
?

a-f

Yes, american, but living for a while in France.

Clue:

Danlazop

Great clue! Haha. It's Paul Nelson's Madison Suspendeu:

Not familiar with his work, really cool work.

Dec 6, 17 7:05 am
Danlazop

Maison Suspendeu* ... freaking autocorrect...

threadkilla

I'm not familiar with this architect at all. What a fantastic project! Reminds me a lot of the Jorn Utzon Cobra Art Museum project earlier in the thread, with all those free-floating ramps. Dimaxion Bathrooms!!!

fictional\_/Christopher

like how you worked a Simpon's clue in

Danlazop

ok, more suspended stuff:

Dec 8, 17 8:03 am
Danlazop

bump

fictional\_/Christopher

i need clues

Danlazop

This project was never built. But came to influence a whole generation of architects in the late 60's. Two of them became quite big with a project that directly referenced it.

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: