Archinect
anchor

guess the plan [building]

JLC-1

my turn

Nov 1, 17 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

I remember the competition call from Strelka (http://smartschooltender.ru/en), because they were relatively new and I was looking into them around that time (2015). The hint helped a lot because it reminded me of the competition, and since MVRDV didn't win the hint made it a lot easier to identify the design as well. Winning entry: https://cebraarchitecture.dk/p... not sure when the anticipated project completion is, but should be a great thing to watch this 'new smart school system' as it is implemented across Russia and former soviet territories, if this pilot works out

Nov 3, 17 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Nov 3, 17 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

abu dahbi louvre? jean nouvel? not sure

Nov 3, 17 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

nope

Nov 3, 17 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

sanaa - 21st century museum Kanazawa

Nov 3, 17 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

:

Nov 3, 17 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

can't resist:

Nov 3, 17 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Tomihiro Art Museum by aat + makoto yakomizo, in Gunma prefecture

Did not know about it (surprisingly, given the complementary affinity of he plan to SANAA's museum of the 21st C). It felt like another Japanese design, and didn't take that mhch digging to find. https://www.archdaily.com/6320...

Nov 7, 17 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

circle takes the square!

Nov 7, 17 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

a few images, for compare/contrast to SANAA's 21st century museum above

interesting to compare this construction photo to the construction photo from Karl Schwanzer's church, above^^^

Nov 8, 17 11:41 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Nov 8, 17 8:59 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

yes, aka "Museo Blau".

Nov 8, 17 11:24 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

aka Museum of Natural History

Nov 8, 17 11:32 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

loved going for a run along the beach ' to the Forum and back' with my mates when we studied in Barcelona that one semester. The space under the wedge is completely public, and was (might still be?) a huge skateboarding destination. Talk about 'phenomenal de-materialization'... All the dust settling on the shotcrete made the exterior look pretty gnarly in a less-than-ideal way, though.

Nov 8, 17 11:46 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

enough triangles, here's another one of these

https://imgur.com/zUzrd7E

did we break archinect image posting?

Nov 9, 17 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

just trying to post a pretty picture...

Nov 9, 17 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Is that a moat around it?

Nov 10, 17 8:09 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

yes, it's the Montreal Biosphère by Buckminster Fuller and Shoji Sadao.

I suppose the geodesic dome is a kind of a moat, conceptually.

Nov 10, 17 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

if any of the moderators on here could clean up my multipost mess, that would be pretty sweet. for some reason none of the images were displaying when I made the posts last night - might have been an isp issue...

Nov 10, 17 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

one building, first and second floor plans

Nov 10, 17 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Quite a 'revolutionary' little building, made a bit of a splash in Paris it's time...

Nov 11, 17 9:39 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

That time was one for a "new spirit", as per Le Corbusier, who also made quite a provocative little building for the same occassion. Some sources claim that Corb has said this one (the posted plan), was the only one of the bunch really worth looking at.

Nov 12, 17 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

There's also a house by the same architect posted earstwhile in this thread

Nov 13, 17 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Your post was littered with clues so it was easy to remember Melnikow's Soviet pavillion!

Nov 14, 17 9:01 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Yes, the USSR pavilion at the 1925 Paris International Exhibition of Modern Decorative and Indistrial Arts by Konstantin Melnikov

Nov 15, 17 11:14 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

here's a few more images of the pavilion :)

Jan 31, 18 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

and more infor for the curious reader: https://thecharnelhouse.org/tag/1925-paris-exposition/

Jan 31, 18 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Has this been posted yet?

Nov 14, 17 9:04 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Feels like a Niemeyer or a Lina Bo Bardi?... No time to research today

Nov 15, 17 11:17 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

I was wrong with that hunch. Hints?

Nov 22, 17 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

The architect might have visited the Soviet Pavilion since he was living in Paris at that time. This is his most known, unbuilt, work. Most of his career involved teaching in the US.

Nov 22, 17 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Is the architect american
?

Dec 5, 17 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Yes, american, but living for a while in France.

Clue:

Dec 6, 17 6:00 am  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Great clue! Haha. It's Paul Nelson's Madison Suspendeu:

Not familiar with his work, really cool work.

Dec 6, 17 7:05 am  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Maison Suspendeu* ... freaking autocorrect...

Dec 6, 17 7:07 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

I'm not familiar with this architect at all. What a fantastic project! Reminds me a lot of the Jorn Utzon Cobra Art Museum project earlier in the thread, with all those free-floating ramps. Dimaxion Bathrooms!!!

Dec 6, 17 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

ok, more suspended stuff:

Dec 8, 17 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Danlazop

bump

Dec 10, 17 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

This project was never built. But came to influence a whole generation of architects in the late 60's. Two of them became quite big with a project that directly referenced it.

Dec 12, 17 7:47 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Cedric Price's Fun Palace

Dec 15, 17 4:34 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Influencing Centre Pompidou, which is more visible if you study the original competition proposal, although I miss the traveling crane at the top.

Dec 15, 17 4:37 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Dec 15, 17 4:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Love it

Dec 15, 17 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Danlazop

correct! 

That last montage is very Pompidouesque. And even though it never got built, Price did get to use some of its ideas in the InterAction Centre at Kentish Town in 1976.

Dec 15, 17 6:48 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

bump. a-f do you have one to post?

Jan 12, 18 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Yes, let's revive this thread!

Jan 16, 18 6:05 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Nice! It kind of reminded me of Aalto's Säynätsalo Town Hall, but I knew it was a different project, so was looking into Aalto hoping for clues. Turns out this campus is currently part of Aalto University! For recent photos and a walkthrough writeup: http://elec.aalto.fi/en/current/news/2017-11-08-003/

Jan 18, 18 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Correct, the Aalto University would have been part of my first clue of course, but in the end it wasn't necessary. This kind of research is what makes the thread worthwhile!

Jan 19, 18 3:54 am  · 
 · 
a-f

The entrance facade is beautiful. The excavated shapes look impressive in plan but are a bit underwhelming in reality.

Jan 19, 18 3:54 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

some more drawings and photos: http://hacedordetrampas.blogspot.ca/2010/06/centro-dipoli-de-reima-y-raili-pietila.html

Jan 19, 18 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

hint: trying to up the Can-Con in this thread :)

Jan 20, 18 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Non-Sequitur should probably know this one for sure :)

Jan 21, 18 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Jan 21, 18 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

I thought this might be a somewhat easy one, but perhaps the image clues are not enough (though they get me to the project in two clicks with google)... This much-decorated architect was one of the first to implement CAD for design and documentation, and this project pretty much kick-started his career...

Jan 21, 18 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Is it the Douglas J. Cardinal Performing Arts Centre by Douglas Cardinal?

Jan 21, 18 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

You have the right architect! But the wrong building, although both are assembly spaces, and are in the same province. The amber stag is hinting at the right location.

Jan 21, 18 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
-------

St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Red Deer.

Jan 21, 18 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

bingo! it's our own Little Ronchamp on the Praries :)

"Father Merx had a vision of a church that could carry the very
abstraction of the Spirit of the Church, past present and future. He
hired Architect Douglas Cardinal and together while listening to Bach’s organ music they designed a church around the new liturgy.

The church thus stands as a monument to spirituality. Based on the ideas of the first Christian gatherings before the cruciform basilica plan was created, Father Merx environed a design centered in the Eucharist, the symbol of Christ’s Living. An oculus to the altar and the tabernacle directs natural light as a symbol of divine light. The amorphous ceiling, a technical feat of the times, creates the acoustics to carry the Word of Christ without microphones. Even the confessional’s unique design using tempered glass to allow in the light of the altar inspires deep spiritual reconciliation."

http://www.djcarchitect.com/wo...

Jan 22, 18 1:52 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

a few more wise words from Douglas Cardinal, best known for his design for the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Ottawa:

"I have always maintained that the endeavours of all Canadians should be directed towards a betterment of the human condition. Therefore in my role as planner and architect, and as the coordinator of technologists, I see a tremendous opportunity to petition the needs of the individual and to reinstate our humanness as the most important element in all of our efforts. I have found that by placing the needs of the human being before the systems that modern man has created, we can ensure that man is indeed served by these systems rather than becoming a slave to them."

The complexity of his serpentine architectural forms presents difficult geometrical problems; his church at Red Deer, for example, required 82,000 simultaneous equations to design the tent-like roof structure. To solve these and to accommodate the dynamic process of design, involving frequent changes in technical drawings and the repetitive procedures involved in producing updated sets of drawings, CAD was a natural answer. It gives accuracy, speed, and coordination, releasing staff from tedious manual drafting tasks to devote more time to design refinements. By itself, of course, it cannot guarantee a better building - that responsibility remains with the creative skill of the architect.

http://www.historymuseum.ca/cm...

and more from St. Mary's in Red Deer, completed in 1969he's 34 or 35 years old in this photo!

Jan 22, 18 2:04 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Love those 'Beam me up Scotty' apertures :)

Jan 22, 18 3:47 am  · 
 · 
-------

Interesting building and architect!

Jan 22, 18 7:57 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Yes, what an incredibly weird sci-fi architecture! Me gusta.

Jan 23, 18 4:02 am  · 
 · 
-------

Next:

Jan 22, 18 7:34 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

very Miesian, almost like an abbreviated Tugendhat house

Jan 22, 18 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
-------

It's not Mies, or a house; however, it is in Europe. It's also somewhat related to my first contribution in this thread.

Jan 22, 18 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

A chapel of some sorts? Related to Lewerentz but no Asplund...

Jan 23, 18 3:35 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Yes, it is Bernt Nyberg's Klockarebacken chapel! I've seen that church hall before...

Choices of materials and details are sometimes very Lewerentz, the plan not so much.

Jan 23, 18 3:40 am  · 
 · 
a-f

I've been trying to find any book on Nyberg's work for a while but it's impossible.

Jan 23, 18 3:58 am  · 
 · 
-------

There are two, an exhibition catalog, Endangered Architecture: The Work of Bernt Nyberg, and a+u's 2017 September issue featuring monographic coverage of Nyberg's work.

The a+u is sold out now; however, the editor of the catalog, Matt Hall, Assistant Professor of Architecture at Auburn, might be able to help you.

Jan 23, 18 7:56 am  · 
 · 
-------

There's also a podcast episode, which is in Swedish and English:

http://summitunlimited.se/88-l...

Jan 23, 18 8:02 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Ah, I didn't know there was an a+u of his work. Thanks for the help!

Jan 23, 18 9:10 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Holy mortar joints, that's some hella fuzzy detailing! Def. seeing the Lewerentz reference in surface materiality, but maintin that the plan has a strong Miesian feel to it. Nice contrast to the brickwork in my post,
as well

Jan 23, 18 11:37 am  · 
 · 
-------

http://hicarquitectura.com/201...

Jan 23, 18 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
-------

a-f, a+u has the Nyberg issue back in stock.

Jan 27, 18 11:38 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Off to a hotter climate:

Jan 23, 18 3:52 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Nailed it.

Jan 25, 18 9:44 am  · 
 · 
a-f

No guesses? This is the architect's own house.

Jan 24, 18 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Next:

Jan 31, 18 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
-------

A couple of hints: this project was completed within a decade of the Museum für Kunsthandwerk competition and was intended by the architects to compliment the architecture of one of the oldest European-established cities in the southeastern United States.

Feb 3, 18 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Feb 4, 18 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

clark menefee

Feb 4, 18 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

To be specific - the Middleton I nn in Charleston

Feb 4, 18 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Yes! Please claim your prize!

Feb 4, 18 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

-

Feb 4, 18 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

is this the plan for the unbuilt Greek Orthodox Church by Herzog and DeMeuron?

Feb 4, 18 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

No, this was built

Feb 4, 18 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Correct- it’s not Siza

Feb 4, 18 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

How about Herz Jesu Kirche, Munich, Architect: Allmann Sattler Wappner, 2000

Feb 5, 18 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

:

Feb 5, 18 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

Yep indeed.

Feb 5, 18 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

that's a pretty cool double skin facade project. or is more like a triple skin facade?

this glass panel detail, designed by glass artist Alexander Beleschenko (which i grabbed from http://figure-ground.com/herz-...) is also really cool - apparently the images of nails are arranged to form an inscription (in cuneiform script) of Christ’s Passion from the St John’s Gospel

this is the Herzog&DeMeuron church I thought it was - I think these two projects are pretty close...

Feb 6, 18 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

Hint, completed in 2000.

Feb 5, 18 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

next:

Feb 5, 18 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Giovanni Michelucci, the Church of San Giovanni Battista, 1960-64

aka Church of the Motorway / Chiesa dell'Autostrada del Sole

Feb 6, 18 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

a project of seemingly infinite complexity

Feb 6, 18 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

yep

Feb 6, 18 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

this moneyshot detail didn't post for some reason

Feb 6, 18 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

this plan always made me think of combustion engines - perhaps appropriate for a church for wayfarers that also commemorates the workers who died building the highway that its immediately adjacent to...

Feb 7, 18 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

nice read!

Mar 21, 18 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

next:

Feb 6, 18 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

hints: this architect is certainly less well known than some of his contemporaries like Mies van der Rohe, with whom he shared an office for a time, despite his role in establishing some pretty significant architectural organizations and his contributions to debates on and around the philosophy of modernist design

Feb 6, 18 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

yes, probably the best cowshed in the world, here's the entire siteplan - but only the building I posted the plan for was ever built

Feb 6, 18 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

err, scratch that, it's the plan I posted and the adjacent structure that got built - the completely rectangular shed has the lamella roof.

project photos source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/seier/2552160490/in/photostream/

some drawings I found by someone named Diego Lucio

Feb 6, 18 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

I don't recall if it's in the Frampton book, and my copy is in storage at the moment, but it very well might be. We looked at this project in one of our tech classes in grad school. Häring was one of the co-founders of Der Ring (with Mies) and later CIAM. He was voted in as the secretary of Der Ring, but the group eventually disbanded in part beacause of the rise of the NSDAP and in part because a lot of the members had major disagreements with Häring, who advocated for 'organic functionalism' and a kind of a 'tight-fit' approach to planning over the preference for industrially-driven construction, held by the likes of Walter Gropius, and the kinds of 'universal' spaces that Mies produced. One architect who was very much aligned with Häring and his design approach was Hans Scharoun. The Gut Garkau farm buildings are considered to be Hugo Häring's main work, together with the Siemensstadt housing block built in a community master-planned by Scharoun.

Feb 6, 18 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

The feedlot building plan is completely derived from the functional requirements of the program - organically emerging from the building's function, as it were - despite it's sculptural appearance.

Feb 6, 18 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

HSBC Building?

Feb 8, 18 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

Norman Foster?

Feb 8, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

I guess its my turn then?

Feb 8, 18 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

A jump to something very different, and maybe a project not so known. Clues will come if it is too difficult.

Feb 8, 18 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

I recon it is a tad difficult. Maybe a facade can help?

Feb 10, 18 10:21 am  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

It is not brutalist. Finished in 1984.

Feb 10, 18 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

Yes, but also a lot of eternit plates. The Architecture studio had a saying "it should look cheap, no matter the cost"...

Feb 11, 18 9:28 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Is it a trade school, or something like artist live/work studios? The plan actually has some formal affinities with a part of Dipoli and the Clark Menefee Charleston Inn...

Feb 11, 18 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

It is a cooperative with shared workshops, dining hall
etc.

Feb 11, 18 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Is it Tinggården, by Vandkunsten?

Feb 13, 18 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

Very close but no cigar!

Feb 14, 18 2:51 am  · 
 · 
-------

Jystrup Sawmill by Vandkunsten:

http://vandkunsten.com/en/proj...

Feb 14, 18 8:05 am  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

Ding Ding Ding - correct!

Feb 14, 18 9:12 am  · 
 · 
-------

Next:

Feb 17, 18 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
-------

A hint:

Feb 18, 18 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

?
Made me think of Gaudi, or perhaps Gunther Domenig, but I'm fairly certain it's neither...

Feb 18, 18 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
-------

This architect was greatly influenced by a major cultural figure from the country in which he decided to practice. This cultural figure was a leader in the push for independence from this architect's home country.

Feb 18, 18 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
-------

It's too new to be Gaudi.

Feb 18, 18 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Yes, that is what I thought... As far as the facade 'scallops' which reminded me of Domenig's Z-Bank in Vienna, when I looked that one up I realised that their orientation in this plan is rotated 90° relative to those, and that these appear more 'regular'. Then I looked up 'British architect in India' based on your clue, and discovered the name of Laurie Baker!

Feb 18, 18 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Time-wise, the Z-Bank is close.

Feb 18, 18 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

And a little more digging reveals this plan to be the Centre for Development Studies, located in Ulloor, Trivandrum, completed in 1971 by Lawrence Wilfred "Laurie" Baker. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurie_Baker

Some really good photos of Baker's fantastic brickwork : http://www.chothompson.com/blog/onbricksandbaker

Looking forward to learning more about this man and his work for the rest of the weekend!

Feb 18, 18 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
-------

That's it, Please claim your prize!

Feb 18, 18 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

posting from the phone, so unable to post images, but really encourage the curious onlooker to visit the links and see some of the photos!

And for some videos:

https://youtu.be/r6ni3aFraXE

Feb 18, 18 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

this one should be pretty well known

Feb 18, 18 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Toyo Ito's Mediatheque in Sendai Japan?

Feb 19, 18 7:21 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Looked it up and ?=!

The model is in MoMA: https://www.moma.org/collectio...

If anyone has nice pictures or drawings, please reply, I'll post a new one to keep things going.

Feb 19, 18 11:37 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

A building that attempts to answer the question "Where are you, when you are looking at the computer screen?"... there's a really good interview by Toyo Ito, including an in-depth description of this building, here: https://www.designboom.com/architecture/toyo-ito-designboom-interview/

Feb 21, 18 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

It has also, as promised by the architect, survived a magnitude 9 seismic event. For a video from inside the building during the 2011 earthquake go here: https://www.archdaily.com/120114/video-experiencing-the-japan-earthquake-from-the-sendai-mediatheque - where you will also find some really great detail drawings of the structure.

Feb 21, 18 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Here's another classic:

Feb 19, 18 11:43 am  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

BIG Lego House?

Feb 19, 18 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

How did you...? I even desaturated it and called it 'a classic' and everything. Well congrats :) You're up.

Feb 19, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

Maybe because it is one the most branded projects of 2017 ;)

Feb 19, 18 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

Another one then:

Could not find it in a better resolution so this will have to do.

Feb 19, 18 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

it's a partially subterranean building on a beach, and it looks like it might be surrounded by some sort of ruins - so it's probably an intervention on a historic site or a renovation of some sort... care to give us some more concrete hints?

Feb 21, 18 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

Good analysis. All your observations are true. The architect here is in a very special group together with Tadao Ando and SANAA.

Feb 22, 18 3:36 am  · 
 · 
Danlazop

The only place where I can think both Ando and Sanaa meet is in Naoshima, but can´t quite figure out what is it what you´re showing in that image. Is that circular plan at the edge of the picture a James Turrel?

Feb 22, 18 10:58 am  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

You are definitely on the right track!

Feb 22, 18 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

But no James Turrel

Feb 22, 18 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

It´s the Inujima Seirensho Art Museum by Hiroshi Sambuichi. Man, that took a lot of googling...

Feb 22, 18 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

You are very right! A very under-appreciated architect outside of Japan. Your turn!

Feb 22, 18 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

I was wondering, did you get to know his work by living/traveling in Japan or otherwise? Because even knowing where to look I probably ended up finding it by chance.

Feb 23, 18 9:38 am  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

My University had a collaboration with him, which is why I am aware of his works. I also visited. But the Fukutake Foundation Projects on Inujima, Teschima and Naojima are quite well known and he is very well recognised in Japan as one the greatest architects right now.

Feb 23, 18 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Cool. I wasn't familiar with his work, except perhaps the Naoshima Hall that's been more widely published

Feb 23, 18 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Danlazop

here we go:

Feb 22, 18 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Bump

Feb 25, 18 10:41 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Almost looks like a library, but is probably dorms/apartments... The core is distinctly OMA-ish, but this is not an OMA project...
Give us some clues?

Mar 1, 18 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think I know this, but I'll have to cheat to confirm. I believe it's fashion/museum related.

Mar 1, 18 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Sorry the delay, was away without signal for a few days. Anyway, it's not OMA, and is fashion related but not a museum. A cool hint is that its design and construction documents was a very straightforward adaptation of a cancelled project for an american
institution.

Mar 3, 18 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Perhaps some more hints are needed. The project is a headquarters of some sort, and is located in a country that's been in negociations to enter EU for some time now. The architects is an international office based in NY.

Mar 8, 18 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

bingo

Mar 8, 18 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Mar 8, 18 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

what an intense project

Mar 9, 18 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

the only image I could find is from your website:

Mar 17, 18 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

From the plan seems before his full blown postmodernist shift.

Mar 17, 18 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Very interesting, gonna have to look for more info to see how the whole thing looked like.

Mar 17, 18 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Let's stick with the brits:

Mar 17, 18 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

recently demolished, both greatly reviled and a testament of a bygone era where architecture was used to try to change the world.

Mar 17, 18 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Is it the Pimlico School, by John Bancroft?

Mar 20, 18 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Correct!

Mar 20, 18 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

another cool building by the London County Council in the 60's. I just read Reiner de Graf's book "four walls and a roof" and has a really cool essay about the school and how the LCC worked internally. Worth the read.

Interestingly I see a lot of it in the works of Coop Himmelbleu or even Morphosis. Maybe is just me.

Mar 20, 18 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Next:

Mar 21, 18 8:10 am  · 
 · 

Thorncrown Chapel / E. Fay Jones?

Mar 21, 18 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Correct!

Mar 21, 18 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

next: boxes again

Mar 21, 18 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Perez art museum, by Herzog and De Meuron.

Mar 22, 18 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

yep

Mar 22, 18 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

I'm on a blank, I would appreciate someone posting a plan for me.

Mar 22, 18 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

Well, I could go again: maybe a little more difficult:

Mar 22, 18 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Indian Institute of Business Management, Balkrishna Doshi, 1971

it was kind of easy only because of the obvious peak in interest in this architect's work due to the Pritzker prize award.

also seems to have some shared affinities with Dipoli at the top of the page...

Mar 23, 18 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

has anyone else noticed how very few articles featuring Doshi's work in the aftermath of the Pritzker include the plans?

Mar 23, 18 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

not straying too far from the above plan

Mar 23, 18 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

i know i've seen this before - not exactly the Jaipur city plan with its displaced corner....

Mar 23, 18 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

but almost exactly like that! Jaipur is a hot clue

Mar 24, 18 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

it was bugging me so i just cheated and looked it up. Oops. 

Anyone?

Mar 24, 18 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

More hints then: this architect's career shares a number of overlaps with B.V. Doshi's, although their paths are unique. While Doshi was working for Le Corbusier in the 50s, this architect was studying at MIT under the likes of Buckminster Fuller. They are both credited with achieving a uniquely Indian approach for modern design, were both the first Indian architect to receive a prestigious award, and were close friends - Doshi was this man's best man at his wedding...

Mar 26, 18 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
-------

This has been driving me crazy! There are so many possible ways to try to find it: the reference to stepwells, the use of the number nine, the serpent, etc. Anyway, it's the Jawahar Kala Kendra by Charles Correa.

Mar 26, 18 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

That's it!

Mar 27, 18 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Briver1993

Some of the plans were mind blowing and honestly i can't even answer one of these plans :D

Mar 26, 18 7:38 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Sometimes you just gotta go with a hunch or follow the research trail laid out by hints. Hopefully this thread gets people to read and remember plans better. I got the Doshi school building in Bangalore because I was looking up plans to his buildings last week out of curiosity, and thought it was kind of funny that there was a pool or platform shaped like a winter sock or a boot in plan. I still haven't found a photo of what that space looks like, but the act f looking for it has helped me remember the drawing and building... Unless we get into the deep cuts and B-sides (which I love), I hope most people who paid any attention to arch history or theory should know at least one plan per page in this thread. Thanks again to Chris for starting this - it keeps me coming back to the forum, even when it seems that its dumpster fire season around here :)

Mar 26, 18 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
-------

I was going to stay in India; however, I can't find the plan I'm looking for, so...

Mar 27, 18 8:18 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

We had this one on page 2 already ;) perhaps Apple Chris can post one...

Mar 27, 18 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Oops, missed that; yes, Apple Chris, please post one.

Mar 27, 18 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

Bump!

Mar 29, 18 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I knew that one looked familiar.

Mar 30, 18 9:51 am  · 
 · 
"""1991"

Might be a little easy. The one I originally wanted to post was already used

Apr 9, 18 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Danlazop

I know this one, but i’m curious about how well known the work of this architect is outside of Latin America (hint, hint).

Apr 9, 18 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

Vasconcelos Library / Alberto Kalach

Apr 17, 18 8:33 am  · 
 · 

Vasconcelos Library / Alberto Kalach

Apr 17, 18 8:33 am  · 
 · 
"""1991"

Yup

Apr 17, 18 9:35 am  · 
 · 
"""1991"

**bump**

Apr 11, 18 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
"""1991"

it was shut down for nearly 2 year’s shortly after opening because of construction issues 

Apr 14, 18 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: