guess the plan [building]

threadkilla

bump. a-f do you have one to post?

Jan 12, 18 3:03 pm
a-f

Yes, let's revive this thread!

Jan 16, 18 6:05 am
Sir Apple Chrissy

it looks like a campus of sorts located in the hills/mountains, but that is all I have.

quondam...

thought this might be Finnish, so I looked for one of the first architecture books I've ever owned -- Modern Architecture in Finland (1970) -- couldn't find the book yesterday, but remembered today where it probably was and found it -- the plan is in the book and a picture of this place is even on the cover -- Reima Pietila & Raili Paatelainen, Dipoli, student's activity center, Otaniemi, 1966

threadkilla

Nice! It kind of reminded me of Aalto's Säynätsalo Town Hall, but I knew it was a different project, so was looking into Aalto hoping for clues. Turns out this campus is currently part of Aalto University! For recent photos and a walkthrough writeup: http://elec.aalto.fi/en/current/news/2017-11-08-003/

a-f

Correct, the Aalto University would have been part of my first clue of course, but in the end it wasn't necessary. This kind of research is what makes the thread worthwhile!

a-f

The entrance facade is beautiful. The excavated shapes look impressive in plan but are a bit underwhelming in reality.

quondam...

this is one of the captions for Dipoli in MODERN ARCHITECTURE IN FINLAND: This building is regarded by many as architectural anarchy. It is anarchist in its relationship towards formalist constructivism, yet it is also the most natural and obvious solution to the problems it had to solve. The building is intended to reflect the natural background; the ground floor corridor, for example, represents a river bed and even has rocks and boulders to heighten the effect.

quondam...

hint: unbuilt NYC

Jan 18, 18 7:17 pm
threadkilla

any more hints? looks like it's from 1920s or 1930s

quondam...

I wasn't sure if this would be easy or not. It's certainly not from the first half of the 20th century. The work of the architect is very well known, although he passed away what to some young architects would be almost a life-time ago. I saw a plan of Adam's Lord Derby's House today and immediately though that might very well have been the inspiration.

Sir Apple Chrissy

the hatching made me think more recent. it's a strange row/townhouse kind of thing, but I'll need more hints.

threadkilla

There's some interesting things going on with the columns... So is it postmodern? James Stirling
?

quondam...

threadkilla, are you asking or telling. . .

threadkilla

it was an educated guess last night, but since you've confirmed the direction of my line of thought I found it :)

threadkilla

James Stirling, Michael Wilford and Associates (with Robert Livesey listed as the one responsible for the preliminary design) - Solow Townhouses aka 11 Townhouses on East 67th St. 1978 or 1979

The first three floors consist of alternating five-story, "thin man"
(18-feet-wide) homes and three-story, "fat man" (38-feet-wide) homes. The top two floors also alternate between two-story, "fat man" homes and the top two floors of the ground-level "thin man" homes.

https://ksamedia.osu.edu/work/...

quondam...

very good

a-f

So, these are all ground-access apartments with individual elevators?

quondam...

Yes, that's right--individual stairs and elevators. All the floor plans are published within JAMES STIRLING: BUILDINGS AND PROJECTS (Rizzoli, 1984).

threadkilla

hint: trying to up the Can-Con in this thread :)

Jan 20, 18 4:06 pm
Sir Apple Chrissy

very organic.

Sir Apple Chrissy

Any hints?

threadkilla

Non-Sequitur should probably know this one for sure :)

threadkilla

threadkilla

I thought this might be a somewhat easy one, but perhaps the image clues are not enough (though they get me to the project in two clicks with google)... This much-decorated architect was one of the first to implement CAD for design and documentation, and this project pretty much kick-started his career...

jw468

Is it the Douglas J. Cardinal Performing Arts Centre by Douglas Cardinal?

threadkilla

You have the right architect! But the wrong building, although both are assembly spaces, and are in the same province. The amber stag is hinting at the right location.

jw468

St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Red Deer.

threadkilla

bingo! it's our own Little Ronchamp on the Praries :)

"Father Merx had a vision of a church that could carry the very
abstraction of the Spirit of the Church, past present and future. He
hired Architect Douglas Cardinal and together while listening to Bach’s organ music they designed a church around the new liturgy.

The church thus stands as a monument to spirituality. Based on the ideas of the first Christian gatherings before the cruciform basilica plan was created, Father Merx environed a design centered in the Eucharist, the symbol of Christ’s Living. An oculus to the altar and the tabernacle directs natural light as a symbol of divine light. The amorphous ceiling, a technical feat of the times, creates the acoustics to carry the Word of Christ without microphones. Even the confessional’s unique design using tempered glass to allow in the light of the altar inspires deep spiritual reconciliation."

http://www.djcarchitect.com/wo...

threadkilla

a few more wise words from Douglas Cardinal, best known for his design for the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Ottawa:

"I have always maintained that the endeavours of all Canadians should be directed towards a betterment of the human condition. Therefore in my role as planner and architect, and as the coordinator of technologists, I see a tremendous opportunity to petition the needs of the individual and to reinstate our humanness as the most important element in all of our efforts. I have found that by placing the needs of the human being before the systems that modern man has created, we can ensure that man is indeed served by these systems rather than becoming a slave to them."

The complexity of his serpentine architectural forms presents difficult geometrical problems; his church at Red Deer, for example, required 82,000 simultaneous equations to design the tent-like roof structure. To solve these and to accommodate the dynamic process of design, involving frequent changes in technical drawings and the repetitive procedures involved in producing updated sets of drawings, CAD was a natural answer. It gives accuracy, speed, and coordination, releasing staff from tedious manual drafting tasks to devote more time to design refinements. By itself, of course, it cannot guarantee a better building - that responsibility remains with the creative skill of the architect.

http://www.historymuseum.ca/cm...

and more from St. Mary's in Red Deer, completed in 1969he's 34 or 35 years old in this photo!

Jan 22, 18 2:04 am
randomised

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Love those 'Beam me up Scotty' apertures :)

jw468

Interesting building and architect!

a-f

Yes, what an incredibly weird sci-fi architecture! Me gusta.

jw468

Next:

Jan 22, 18 7:34 am
Sir Apple Chrissy

A door to a spiral stair....the columns are plus signs in section (mies did that i think)...

threadkilla

very Miesian, almost like an abbreviated Tugendhat house

jw468

It's not Mies, or a house; however, it is in Europe. It's also somewhat related to my first contribution in this thread.

a-f

A chapel of some sorts? Related to Lewerentz but no Asplund...

a-f

Yes, it is Bernt Nyberg's Klockarebacken chapel! I've seen that church hall before...

Choices of materials and details are sometimes very Lewerentz, the plan not so much.

a-f

I've been trying to find any book on Nyberg's work for a while but it's impossible.

jw468

There are two, an exhibition catalog, Endangered Architecture: The Work of Bernt Nyberg, and a+u's 2017 September issue featuring monographic coverage of Nyberg's work.

The a+u is sold out now; however, the editor of the catalog, Matt Hall, Assistant Professor of Architecture at Auburn, might be able to help you.

jw468

There's also a podcast episode, which is in Swedish and English:

http://summitunlimited.se/88-l...

a-f

Ah, I didn't know there was an a+u of his work. Thanks for the help!

threadkilla

Holy mortar joints, that's some hella fuzzy detailing! Def. seeing the Lewerentz reference in surface materiality, but maintin that the plan has a strong Miesian feel to it. Nice contrast to the brickwork in my post,
as well

jw468

a-f, a+u has the Nyberg issue back in stock.

a-f

Off to a hotter climate:

Jan 23, 18 3:52 am
quondam...

Jorn Utzon, Can Lis, 1972

a-f

Nailed it.

Sir Apple Chrissy

those portals are awesome.

a-f

No guesses? This is the architect's own house.

Jan 24, 18 3:39 pm
Sir Apple Chrissy

South america?

quondam...

a competition entry that did not win

Jan 25, 18 12:51 pm
threadkilla

Looks like a PoMo project - but not one that I'm particularly familiar with. Did the competition result in a building? Any other hints? maybe a location or actual winner ?

quondam...

Looks like you're right about the project's stylistic period. The winning design was executed, but the location and actual winner might give it away too easily. Part of the plan above includes an existing building, inclusion of which was part of the competition brief, plus the program of the new building is a type that I like to collect.

threadkilla

Ok, so it's a losing competition entry for a museum building/ expansion from sometime between 1969 and 1989...

quondam...

Split the difference between 1969 and 1989 and you get the year of design. Ungers also had to include an existing building for one of his museum designs (that also got built nearby)... ...oh, and this design and the winning design are kind of "night and day" (or color variations of that sense).

jw468

Is this the Museum für Kunsthandwerk by Venturi, Rauch, & Scott Brown, from 1979? Richard Meier won the competition.

quondam...

It is the Museum für Kunsthandwerk (1979) by Venturi & Rauch; Venturi, Rauch, & Scott Brown did not exist until 1980. I 'built' a cad model of the project over 21 years ago. I was particularly interested in seeing Venturi's use of brise-soleil. I'll post some perspectives derived from the cad model.

jw468

Okay. I wasn't sure about the firm name.

threadkilla

Don't know much about this project/competition... I thought Denise Scott Brown married Robert Venturi in '67, shortly after the big Vegas trip, and became a partner in the firm in '69... Quondam would know better, though - he's got a Philadelphia connection :)

It would be great to see your perspectives, quondam - the drawings from project summary from the VSBA website are quite small:

http://venturiscottbrown.org/p...

quondam...

In terms of the Venturi firms names it's:
Venturi and Short 1960-63
Venturi and Rauch 1959-80
Venturi, Rauch and Scott Brown 1980-1988
Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates 1988-until retirement of Venturi and Scott Brown 2012?
VSBA Architects post Venturi, Scott Brown retirement

threadkilla

here's Richard Meier's plan, for comparison purposes

quondam...

The competition brief specifically stated the existing villa was to be part of the new design composition, but the new building and the existing villa were to not be physically connected. Venturi and Rauch (but probably strong-headed Scott Brown) decided to work against the stipulation of separate buildings and made one long elevation along the river bank, evoking their Allen Art Museum Addition. This violation of the competition brief may indeed have quickly put the Venturi and Rauch scheme in the losing pile.

quondam...

Museum für Kunsthandwerk in a virtual Ideal City context:

jw468

Very interesting!

jw468

Next:

Jan 31, 18 9:52 pm
jw468

A couple of hints: this project was completed within a decade of the Museum für Kunsthandwerk competition and was intended by the architects to compliment the architecture of one of the oldest European-established cities in the southeastern United States.

jw468

clark menefee

Feb 4, 18 12:58 pm

To be specific - the Middleton I nn in Charleston

jw468

Yes! Please claim your prize!

-

Feb 4, 18 5:48 pm
threadkilla

is this the plan for the unbuilt Greek Orthodox Church by Herzog and DeMeuron?

No, this was built

Sir Apple Chrissy

Reminds me of a Alvaro siza church...but pretty sure that aint it

Correct- it’s not Siza

How about Herz Jesu Kirche, Munich, Architect: Allmann Sattler Wappner, 2000

Yep indeed.

threadkilla

that's a pretty cool double skin facade project. or is more like a triple skin facade?

this glass panel detail, designed by glass artist Alexander Beleschenko (which i grabbed from http://figure-ground.com/herz-...) is also really cool - apparently the images of nails are arranged to form an inscription (in cuneiform script) of Christ’s Passion from the St John’s Gospel

this is the Herzog&DeMeuron church I thought it was - I think these two projects are pretty close...

Hint, completed in 2000.

Feb 5, 18 6:08 pm

next:

Feb 5, 18 8:31 pm
threadkilla

Giovanni Michelucci, the Church of San Giovanni Battista, 1960-64

aka Church of the Motorway / Chiesa dell'Autostrada del Sole

threadkilla

a project of seemingly infinite complexity

threadkilla

this moneyshot detail didn't post for some reason

threadkilla

this plan always made me think of combustion engines - perhaps appropriate for a church for wayfarers that also commemorates the workers who died building the highway that its immediately adjacent to...

nice read!

threadkilla

next:

Feb 6, 18 3:01 pm
threadkilla

hints: this architect is certainly less well known than some of his contemporaries like Mies van der Rohe, with whom he shared an office for a time, despite his role in establishing some pretty significant architectural organizations and his contributions to debates on and around the philosophy of modernist design

Sir Apple Chrissy

Kuhstall von Gut Garkau by Hugo Häring

threadkilla

yes, probably the best cowshed in the world, here's the entire siteplan - but only the building I posted the plan for was ever built

threadkilla

err, scratch that, it's the plan I posted and the adjacent structure that got built - the completely rectangular shed has the lamella roof.

project photos source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/seier/2552160490/in/photostream/

some drawings I found by someone named Diego Lucio

Sir Apple Chrissy

Yeah when i googled it that lamella shed came up. Aleays wondered why this building was important. And yes most badasss cow shed ever

Sir Apple Chrissy

And no i did not reverse image google the plan. Saw that plan soo much in school and have german books that always show it...i think even frampton has a plan in his modern architecture book

Sir Apple Chrissy

Kenneth Frampton's "Modern Architecture: A Critical History" confirms Mies sharing offices and each influencing the other...on Hugo....Frampton writes " Although Häring , like Mendelsohn, believed in the ultimate primacy of function, he sought to transcend the primitive nature of mere utility by evolving his forms froma more profound understanding of the programme. Like Scharoun, however, his attitude to massing was often naively imitative of biological form. "

Sir Apple Chrissy

Hugo Häring's entry for Friedrichstrasse vs Mies Van Der Rohe

threadkilla

I don't recall if it's in the Frampton book, and my copy is in storage at the moment, but it very well might be. We looked at this project in one of our tech classes in grad school. Häring was one of the co-founders of Der Ring (with Mies) and later CIAM. He was voted in as the secretary of Der Ring, but the group eventually disbanded in part beacause of the rise of the NSDAP and in part because a lot of the members had major disagreements with Häring, who advocated for 'organic functionalism' and a kind of a 'tight-fit' approach to planning over the preference for industrially-driven construction, held by the likes of Walter Gropius, and the kinds of 'universal' spaces that Mies produced. One architect who was very much aligned with Häring and his design approach was Hans Scharoun. The Gut Garkau farm buildings are considered to be Hugo Häring's main work, together with the Siemensstadt housing block built in a community master-planned by Scharoun.

threadkilla

The feedlot building plan is completely derived from the functional requirements of the program - organically emerging from the building's function, as it were - despite it's sculptural appearance.

Sir Apple Chrissy

the plan is not in Frampton's, just an image...was in one of my German architektur books....I def. see the Scharoun connection.

Sir Apple Chrissy

next.

Feb 6, 18 8:57 pm
threadkilla

this one's easy, and I want some more participants :) high tech classic!

Sir Apple Chrissy

Hint: 30th floor...yes a classic it is

JLC-1

I know, I know, but I don't have time to look for another plan!

Sir Apple Chrissy

feng shui actually changed the entrance to this building and the main structural members

danielkragskov

HSBC Building?

Feb 8, 18 1:31 pm
Sir Apple Chrissy

By?

danielkragskov

Norman Foster?

danielkragskov

I guess its my turn then?

Sir Apple Chrissy

Yes. Please post

danielkragskov

A jump to something very different, and maybe a project not so known. Clues will come if it is too difficult.

Feb 8, 18 6:38 pm
danielkragskov

I recon it is a tad difficult. Maybe a facade can help?

Feb 10, 18 10:21 am
Sir Apple Chrissy

is it brutalist say from the 60's or 70's?

danielkragskov

It is not brutalist. Finished in 1984.

Sir Apple Chrissy

ah. so that's probably wood slats and maybe standing seam roofing?

danielkragskov

Yes, but also a lot of eternit plates. The Architecture studio had a saying "it should look cheap, no matter the cost"...

threadkilla

Is it a trade school, or something like artist live/work studios? The plan actually has some formal affinities with a part of Dipoli and the Clark Menefee Charleston Inn...

danielkragskov

It is a cooperative with shared workshops, dining hall
etc.

Sir Apple Chrissy

I think we need more hints

jw468

Is it Tinggården, by Vandkunsten?

danielkragskov

Very close but no cigar!

jw468

Jystrup Sawmill by Vandkunsten:

http://vandkunsten.com/en/proj...

danielkragskov

Ding Ding Ding - correct!

jw468

Next:

Feb 17, 18 12:10 pm
jw468

A hint:

threadkilla

?
Made me think of Gaudi, or perhaps Gunther Domenig, but I'm fairly certain it's neither...

jw468

This architect was greatly influenced by a major cultural figure from the country in which he decided to practice. This cultural figure was a leader in the push for independence from this architect's home country.

jw468

It's too new to be Gaudi.

threadkilla

Yes, that is what I thought... As far as the facade 'scallops' which reminded me of Domenig's Z-Bank in Vienna, when I looked that one up I realised that their orientation in this plan is rotated 90° relative to those, and that these appear more 'regular'. Then I looked up 'British architect in India' based on your clue, and discovered the name of Laurie Baker!

jw468

Time-wise, the Z-Bank is close.

threadkilla

And a little more digging reveals this plan to be the Centre for Development Studies, located in Ulloor, Trivandrum, completed in 1971 by Lawrence Wilfred "Laurie" Baker. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurie_Baker

Some really good photos of Baker's fantastic brickwork : http://www.chothompson.com/blog/onbricksandbaker

Looking forward to learning more about this man and his work for the rest of the weekend!

jw468

That's it, Please claim your prize!

threadkilla

posting from the phone, so unable to post images, but really encourage the curious onlooker to visit the links and see some of the photos!

And for some videos:

https://youtu.be/r6ni3aFraXE

threadkilla

this one should be pretty well known

Feb 18, 18 8:23 pm
randomised

Toyo Ito's Mediatheque in Sendai Japan?

randomised

Looked it up and ?=!

The model is in MoMA: https://www.moma.org/collectio...

If anyone has nice pictures or drawings, please reply, I'll post a new one to keep things going.

threadkilla

A building that attempts to answer the question "Where are you, when you are looking at the computer screen?"... there's a really good interview by Toyo Ito, including an in-depth description of this building, here: https://www.designboom.com/architecture/toyo-ito-designboom-interview/

threadkilla

It has also, as promised by the architect, survived a magnitude 9 seismic event. For a video from inside the building during the 2011 earthquake go here: https://www.archdaily.com/120114/video-experiencing-the-japan-earthquake-from-the-sendai-mediatheque - where you will also find some really great detail drawings of the structure.

randomised

Here's another classic:

Feb 19, 18 11:43 am
danielkragskov

BIG Lego House?

randomised

How did you...? I even desaturated it and called it 'a classic' and everything. Well congrats :) You're up.

danielkragskov

Maybe because it is one the most branded projects of 2017 ;)

danielkragskov

Another one then:

Could not find it in a better resolution so this will have to do.

Feb 19, 18 1:55 pm
threadkilla

it's a partially subterranean building on a beach, and it looks like it might be surrounded by some sort of ruins - so it's probably an intervention on a historic site or a renovation of some sort... care to give us some more concrete hints?

danielkragskov

Good analysis. All your observations are true. The architect here is in a very special group together with Tadao Ando and SANAA.

Danlazop

The only place where I can think both Ando and Sanaa meet is in Naoshima, but can´t quite figure out what is it what you´re showing in that image. Is that circular plan at the edge of the picture a James Turrel?

danielkragskov

You are definitely on the right track!

danielkragskov

But no James Turrel

Danlazop

It´s the Inujima Seirensho Art Museum by Hiroshi Sambuichi. Man, that took a lot of googling...

Feb 22, 18 2:16 pm
danielkragskov

You are very right! A very under-appreciated architect outside of Japan. Your turn!

Danlazop

I was wondering, did you get to know his work by living/traveling in Japan or otherwise? Because even knowing where to look I probably ended up finding it by chance.

danielkragskov

My University had a collaboration with him, which is why I am aware of his works. I also visited. But the Fukutake Foundation Projects on Inujima, Teschima and Naojima are quite well known and he is very well recognised in Japan as one the greatest architects right now.

Danlazop

Cool. I wasn't familiar with his work, except perhaps the Naoshima Hall that's been more widely published

Danlazop

here we go:

Feb 22, 18 9:20 pm
Danlazop

Bump

threadkilla

Almost looks like a library, but is probably dorms/apartments... The core is distinctly OMA-ish, but this is not an OMA project...
Give us some clues?

Non Sequitur

I think I know this, but I'll have to cheat to confirm. I believe it's fashion/museum related.

Danlazop

Sorry the delay, was away without signal for a few days. Anyway, it's not OMA, and is fashion related but not a museum. A cool hint is that its design and construction documents was a very straightforward adaptation of a cancelled project for an american
institution.

Danlazop

Perhaps some more hints are needed. The project is a headquarters of some sort, and is located in a country that's been in negociations to enter EU for some time now. The architects is an international office based in NY.

quondam...

Vakko Fashion Center by REX

Danlazop

bingo

Danlazop

Mar 8, 18 5:37 pm
threadkilla

what an intense project

quondam...

After Le Corbusier, and even after Leon Krier, but, in all three cases, never built.

Mar 9, 18 1:41 pm
Danlazop

hints!

quondam...

Le Corbusier-Berlin . . . Krier-modern junktown anywhere . . . this plan somewhere in Spain . . . . . . . . although this plan comes after Le Corbusier and Krier, the architect actually fits nicely between Le Corbusier and Krier

Danlazop

James Stirling's Seville Stadium development.

quondam...

correct

Danlazop

the only image I could find is from your website:

Mar 17, 18 2:27 pm
quondam...

The project is more extensively published within: Architectural Monographs No 32: James Stirling + Michael Wilford and within James Stirling and Michael Wilford 1975-1992 (the white book). All the drawings are now within the Stirling collection of the CCA but images of the drawings are as yet not available on the CCA website.

Danlazop

From the plan seems before his full blown postmodernist shift.

quondam...

The project is from 1988 (just 4 years before Sirling died). If you're familiar with the late work of Stirling/Wilford and familiar with Wilford's individual works, then you can more plainly see the aspect of the Seville tower(s) plan which you attribute as 'pre-postmodern' is actually an instance of more Wilford than Stirling.

Danlazop

Very interesting, gonna have to look for more info to see how the whole thing looked like.

Danlazop

Let's stick with the brits:

Mar 17, 18 3:26 pm
Danlazop

recently demolished, both greatly reviled and a testament of a bygone era where architecture was used to try to change the world.

jw468

Is it the Pimlico School, by John Bancroft?

Danlazop

Correct!

Danlazop

another cool building by the London County Council in the 60's. I just read Reiner de Graf's book "four walls and a roof" and has a really cool essay about the school and how the LCC worked internally. Worth the read.

Interestingly I see a lot of it in the works of Coop Himmelbleu or even Morphosis. Maybe is just me.

Mar 20, 18 10:43 pm
jw468

Next:

Mar 21, 18 8:10 am

Thorncrown Chapel / E. Fay Jones?

Mar 21, 18 6:13 pm
jw468

Correct!

next: boxes again

Mar 21, 18 8:34 pm
Danlazop

Perez art museum, by Herzog and De Meuron.

Danlazop

I'm on a blank, I would appreciate someone posting a plan for me.

Well, I could go again: maybe a little more difficult:

Mar 22, 18 10:38 pm
threadkilla

Indian Institute of Business Management, Balkrishna Doshi, 1971

it was kind of easy only because of the obvious peak in interest in this architect's work due to the Pritzker prize award.

also seems to have some shared affinities with Dipoli at the top of the page...

threadkilla

has anyone else noticed how very few articles featuring Doshi's work in the aftermath of the Pritzker include the plans?

threadkilla

not straying too far from the above plan

Mar 23, 18 4:56 pm

i know i've seen this before - not exactly the Jaipur city plan with its displaced corner....

threadkilla

but almost exactly like that! Jaipur is a hot clue

it was bugging me so i just cheated and looked it up. Oops. 

Anyone?

threadkilla

More hints then: this architect's career shares a number of overlaps with B.V. Doshi's, although their paths are unique. While Doshi was working for Le Corbusier in the 50s, this architect was studying at MIT under the likes of Buckminster Fuller. They are both credited with achieving a uniquely Indian approach for modern design, were both the first Indian architect to receive a prestigious award, and were close friends - Doshi was this man's best man at his wedding...

jw468

This has been driving me crazy! There are so many possible ways to try to find it: the reference to stepwells, the use of the number nine, the serpent, etc. Anyway, it's the Jawahar Kala Kendra by Charles Correa.

threadkilla

That's it!

Briver1993

Some of the plans were mind blowing and honestly i can't even answer one of these plans :D

Mar 26, 18 7:38 am
threadkilla

Sometimes you just gotta go with a hunch or follow the research trail laid out by hints. Hopefully this thread gets people to read and remember plans better. I got the Doshi school building in Bangalore because I was looking up plans to his buildings last week out of curiosity, and thought it was kind of funny that there was a pool or platform shaped like a winter sock or a boot in plan. I still haven't found a photo of what that space looks like, but the act f looking for it has helped me remember the drawing and building... Unless we get into the deep cuts and B-sides (which I love), I hope most people who paid any attention to arch history or theory should know at least one plan per page in this thread. Thanks again to Chris for starting this - it keeps me coming back to the forum, even when it seems that its dumpster fire season around here :)

jw468

I was going to stay in India; however, I can't find the plan I'm looking for, so...

Mar 27, 18 8:18 am
threadkilla

We had this one on page 2 already ;) perhaps Apple Chris can post one...

jw468

Oops, missed that; yes, Apple Chris, please post one.

Danlazop

Bump!

randomised

I knew that one looked familiar.

Sir Apple Chrissy

give me to end of day.  Had one in mind but cant find it on interweb

Mar 30, 18 8:16 am

it is on the interwebb, but not the way I think you should read it.  this plan already tells you about its section.  probably an easy one for yee pros...

Mar 30, 18 9:12 pm
quondam...

Aldo Rossi, Memorial Fountain at Segrate, 1965. Although the plan above does not exactly match the fountain as executed.

Sir Apple Chrissy

you got it.

quondam...

destroyed, demolished, many want it rebuilt

the architect lived and worked there

Apr 3, 18 12:40 pm
Danlazop

The plan reminds me of the Palazzo Della Civilta in Rome, but it’s obviously not. Is it in the vicinity?

quondam...

The building was not in the vicinity of Rome, but was in another European capital. The architect spent some time in Rome, however, "grand tour"-ing. Many subsequent architects of esteem also spent time in the building--learning in it and from it.

quondam...

And in 1980 even Arata Isozaki found inspiration in the architect's renderings of the building--the building was already "not there" by that point.

quondam...

I'm pretty sure what was left of the building was still standing when he was there.

Apr 7, 18 8:42 pm
Sir Apple Chrissy

a google search showed a lot of Berlin? but I 'm at a loss for Berlin, unless it' East which I never knew that well.

quondam...

You may not know the East--the building wasn't there by your time anyway--but surely you at least know one famous Berlin architect.

Sir Apple Chrissy

Shinkel!

Bauakademie

I remember now.  It was 2000AD and I was taking pics in old East Berlin, Germany and came across something referencing this as a future project...see below

http://www.foerderverein-bauak...

Apr 7, 18 9:45 pm
quondam...

Gott sei Dank!

Sir Apple Chrissy

ick bin ein Berliner! ;) aka Jelly Donut... and it's "icke" and not "ich" if proper Berlin.

Sir Apple Chrissy

random note: a scene from this movie was filmed down the street from where I live din Friedenau (Steglitz) West Berlin, mid 80's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm9oMGJDY-8

next.

Apr 7, 18 10:33 pm
quondam...

hint: I know this by both name and number.

Sir Apple Chrissy

i know you would know...let's give the other's a shot at space?

quondam...

that's exactly my intention via the hint--cool name, ambiguous number

"""1991"

Hejduk house 10b

quondam...

ghost of Hejduk in the house?!?

"""1991"

He was a big part of my schools history

Sir Apple Chrissy

And plan name? Then post a new one 1991

"""1991"

I’m stumped. I have this drawn in an old history notebook, but there’s no other information in my notes.

Sir Apple Chrissy

Name matches what the plan looks like...

"""1991"

Had to flip through Mask of Medusa to find it. Space shuttle house, I don’t see it though

Sir Apple Chrissy

The bottom piece to me reads like a shuttle

"""1991"

Might be a little easy. The one I originally wanted to post was already used

Apr 9, 18 4:30 pm
Danlazop

I know this one, but i’m curious about how well known the work of this architect is outside of Latin America (hint, hint).

Vasconcelos Library / Alberto Kalach

Vasconcelos Library / Alberto Kalach

"""1991"

Yup

"""1991"

**bump**

Apr 11, 18 11:26 pm
Sir Apple Chrissy

any more hints?

Apr 14, 18 12:26 pm
"""1991"

it was shut down for nearly 2 year’s shortly after opening because of construction issues 

Apr 14, 18 7:00 pm
Helsinki

Reidyish, but newer?

Apr 15, 18 4:50 pm
"""1991"

way newer. It was built from the mid to late 2000's

Danlazop

Sorry to intrude, but perhaps the section might help. The plan is surprisingly misleading in regard to how the building actually looks:

Apr 16, 18 9:08 pm
Non Sequitur

Looks like a section form La Defense.

Ok, Same basic shape, but a very different purpose.

Apr 17, 18 12:41 pm
JLC-1

have a smaller image?

sarcasm, pixels, or width... All apply with that image

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: