Archinect
anchor

What kind of car should an architect drive?

square.

electric- hopefully there are some new subsidies on the way..

Oct 28, 21 10:30 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Used Tesla model 3s are almost down to my comfort zone in price, but I worry about buying one that's several years old. The Rivian pickup and SUV are looking really good; if only they were about half the price!

Oct 28, 21 10:46 am  · 
2  · 
proto

i saw a polestar on the road recently; it looked quite nice

Oct 28, 21 10:56 am  · 
3  · 
tduds

I'd love a polestar / volvo, or a bollinger truck, if I could even dream of affording one.

Oct 28, 21 11:55 am  · 
2  · 
mightyaa

Ya... I really wanted a Rivian or particularly the Canoo. But when I needed to upgrade, they weren't really out yet. Maybe my next whip.

Oct 28, 21 12:31 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

the federal subsidy right now is a 4500 tax credit, and my state offers an additional 2500.. if the fed goes up we'll definitely be going electric.

Oct 28, 21 12:52 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bixJDOH864U

Oct 28, 21 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

lol atelier... reminds me of the suzuki carry; tiny, tiny 'truck'.

Oct 28, 21 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I did break down and bought a new daily earlier this year; a very, very low mileage 2017 Range Rover Diesel. It just checked off all the boxes; able to handle mountain blizzards, get to unimproved jobsites, plush, great sound system, cruising highway barge, carry my field kit and ladder, lots of range between filling up, etc. And I've been getting 28mpg. 

And lol; it's also roomy enough to be my mobile office. Lots of power ports, reclining back seats with lots of legroom and space to spread out. I've even enjoyed having that little drop tailgate to spread out plans and use as a field table. Since March, I've already put almost 20,000 miles on it.

Oct 28, 21 12:26 pm  · 
4  · 
bowling_ball

Have you had to do any maintenance yet? I'm in the market and this fits my needs really well, I'm just cautious because of the cost of maintenance

Oct 28, 21 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Just routine stuff; alignment, oil change & filters a couple times. Was comparable to my BMW and my Dad's Mercedes... so not cheap, but not unusual for a euro. About $500 for the routine fluid crap at the dealership every time as well as the usual attempts to upsell. Also the usual massive upcharge I tell them to skip like a $120 tire rotations, $80 wipers, $200 cabin and engine filter, etc.. lol, simple 10 minute jobs. I did also purchase a 3rd party bumper to bumper extended warranty to 100k for about $5k on the sale price given the reliability ratings.

Oct 28, 21 2:14 pm  · 
2  · 

The “mobile office” aspect of this is really great, actually. My husband’s truck is the same. Very nice!

Oct 29, 21 7:56 am  · 
 · 
luvu

Por-cha... 911 .

Oct 29, 21 3:06 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

LOL

But.......but........but.......what about climate change?  All you supposedly green architects with your big-ass SUV's!  Please, God, help me do my part to save the planet, but not right now.  Perfect example of why the Green Agenda is doomed.

Oct 29, 21 11:41 am  · 
 · 

You clearly do not understand the green agenda.

Oct 29, 21 11:48 am  · 
2  ·  1
bowling_ball

So you don't drive, geezer? I actually haven't (to work) in about 6 years. But life changes dictate that we need to buy a second car. I can't really show up to a meeting in February (-40), on my ten speed.

Oct 29, 21 1:06 pm  · 
1  · 
RJ87

It's fine, my LEED certification cancels out the fact that my car gets about 14 miles per gallon. Why else would I have gotten it.

Oct 29, 21 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Oh no look at me, participating in society again. Busted.

Oct 29, 21 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

“I can't really show up to a meeting in February (-40), on my ten speed.”

Yes you can!

Oct 29, 21 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

BB: You missed my point. Of course, I drive. Almost all of us in the US do. It's the only practical way to live a normal life and get around. My point is that most greens fail to practice what they preach. When the opportunity comes to make voluntary sacrifices in convenience they demur. Most of what passes for environmental concern is empty virtue signaling. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

Oct 31, 21 12:11 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm happy with the combo my wife and I have. A 2009 Honda Fit and a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500. The Honda for commuting, mileage, and suprisingly cargo space. The Chevy for long trips, hauling construction materials, and off-roading/weather. They are practical and reliable. We could afford new right now but there is no reason for it. We also hope to buy electric from here on out. I'm much more interested in spending money on home improvement. Drive a car that's practical rather than flashy.

Oct 29, 21 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Put in an order for 2023 Rav4 hybrid this weekend.  I guess it's time to retire the soon to be 15y old yaris.

Sep 19, 22 9:00 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Those seem like very good cars. On my short list for my next vehicle. Which trim did you choose?

Sep 19, 22 10:32 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Hybrid XLE trim. I liked the XSE but most of the extras are aesthetics and I can't be bothered to spend 5K for black trim. The trims for the 2023 models (2023 trim not yet available to public) are slightly different than 2022. A few perks like bigger screens for instrument cluster and power tailgate (I think). Market is stupid, as we all know so it's in our advantage to get one from factory. less than 2y old models of the same car/trim are selling for 20k more than the MSRP of the one we ordered.

Sep 19, 22 11:07 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

My friend has the 2022. It’s a well made car for sure. Toyota is great.

Sep 19, 22 11:37 am  · 
2  · 
Stasis

I drive Subaru Forester XT and Audi Q5. To me, Forester is all about function.. great mechanical system and the stability. Audi is a step up.. very refined car and comfortable to drive.  Not sure if these are cars for Architects though.  It'd be fun to come up with criteria, such as it has to be affordable but always in style, not very popular among the general publics but it's a hidden gem..

Sep 19, 22 12:41 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I was looking at both of those, and an Audi A4 Allroad, and ended up going with a Subaru Outback 3.6R--it's like a luxury car on the interior and had good acceleration thanks to a 6-cyl engine. But it's not easy on gas, and Subarus are way too popular in my area. But so is everything else affordable and reliable.

Sep 19, 22 2:33 pm  · 
1  · 
Stasis

Good to know that there is another Subaru driver. I live in NorCal and drive mostly on flat roads, so I don't fully utilize its AWD.. It does make difference when I drive up to Lake Tahoe area. While not having 6 cyls, (ha I can't call v6 here as Subie makes boxer engines), my Forester has WRX's turbo engine, so it packs pretty good punch. I like that the majority of torque kicks in at 2000-2500 RPM. My only gripe with this car is its fuel tank size at 15.9 gallons... Even at 25 MPG, I'd have to refill every 360-420 miles.. That range is still better than electric though.

Sep 19, 22 2:58 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Another Subaru owner here. Thinking about buying another vehicle in the coming year, I just don't know what yet. The Subaru has been the best car I've over owned - by far - so it's tempting to get another, but I may have to step it up a notch to an Audi or something. The new Bronco looks fun but I need to keep my promise to myself to never buy any first-gen vehicle.

Sep 19, 22 7:48 pm  · 
2  · 
Stasis

Btw, do you guys see high mark ups added at auto dealerships? I don't know if this situation improve in near future, but now doesn't seem like a good time.

Sep 19, 22 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

We have one new Outback and One old Impreza. Love Subarus!

Sep 19, 22 10:01 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Stasis, my Outback is a 2019 model that I bought last summer (2021) for a reasonably good price. I had been looking for quite a while, not much stock was available, and prices went up shortly after that.

Sep 20, 22 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

If I had to buy a new vehicle today it would probably be a GMC Canyon, their small pickup truck. It gets the same or better mileage as my Outback, it's very nice inside and can do things the Outback can't, such as tow a heavy trailer. It's not what you'd expect an architect to drive but I'm not an architect, so it's ok.

Sep 20, 22 8:49 am  · 
1  · 
bennyc

Dodge Ram 1500. 5.7 Hemi Engine, 8 Cylinder

Sep 19, 22 5:49 pm  · 
2  · 
Stasis

GCs take you seriously, do they not ;)

Sep 19, 22 9:30 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

Currently car shopping for my wife.  passed on a 10 yr old X3 to my son ( not worth much anymore and better to have my son driving something  i know has been looked after reasonably well value to see it is lousy so the plan is to drive it into the ground.) I currently have an Audi Allroad it's a great "swiss army knife" does most things well and still sporty enough to have fun in. Looking at Forester's / Volvo XC 40 / Rav4 etc. for my wife and the dog.  

She likes the Forester but I think it looks a bit too much like the Queen's hearse, old fashion styling inside all be it dressed up a bit.  The Volvo is  modern looking with contemporary styling and gadgetry, substantial, drives well and quiet. Not sold on the Rav4 looks.. too much origami in the body panel work. ( the designer in me) is overriding the consumer reports,  I am admittedly focused on the emotional aspect of the car / driving experience. But modern Cars are just so much better than what they use to be they are all very competent.

I basically walk or ride my bike to work so not sure why I get too worked up about it all.

Sep 19, 22 8:11 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Get the Outback, looks much better (and drives better) than the Forester...

Sep 19, 22 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

How is Forester looks like a queen's hearse? Did you mean to say Outback with it's elongated chassis? It looks bit longer than a station wagon, so hearse like. Outlook should drive better than Forester with longer wheel base. It's little bumpy to me. Subie's very basic and won't impress anyone with the interior. It's funny.. I just saw Hyundai Ioniq 5... It looks retro future that may appeal to some while repel some others.. I kinda like it.
it..

Sep 19, 22 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'd have to agree that proportionally, the Forester is more aligned with the Queen's hearse:

My wife has had Foresters since 2005, first a 2005 model and now a 2016 model. The new one is a nice car but my Outback is smoother and more comfortable. It also feels larger, though the cargo volume is similar. 

The interior of my Outback, a Limited model, is quite nice. Maybe not quite BMW-grade but comparable to a Tesla. 

Sep 20, 22 8:42 am  · 
1  · 

I've had an XC40 the past few years and absolutely love it. Great style and function. When comparing prices, be sure to check insurance premiums as the Volvo was substantially lower than Subaru when we were shopping.

Sep 20, 22 11:03 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

The current generation of Volvos are beautiful. I've been lusting over V-60s but can't justify one just yet. My 2019 Outback has a full compliment of safety features and high safety ratings. Insurance for it is less than it was for the 2011 Prius I traded in.

Sep 20, 22 11:46 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Nailed it. My wife loves the way the Forester allows for visibly, safety and how high up you sit, but I am not parading around with a dead queen in the back! haha.

Sep 20, 22 12:06 pm  · 
2  · 

Sep 20, 22 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

hmm, i didn't quite see that..  Older Forester definitely looks like a hearse, but not sure about later version.  if you lower this car and stretched the front little longer, then maybe. If you can get an Outback, go for it.  I think it should drive much smoother.  I agree with whistler that Forester does give you pretty good visibility when you drive.  My wife loves it.  She hates some of the other CUVs out there with the sloping rear end as it makes it harder for her to see.  Forester no longer comes with XT trim (2.0 turbo engine) but Outback does.  Some of you may laugh at this, but my Forester clocks in at 6.3 seconds from 0-60.  

Sep 20, 22 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I can't think of any other modern car with more "greenhouse" (automobile writers' term) than the Forester. They have done a decent job of making it not look weird, but try to find another car where the glass is almost as tall as the opaque part of the door.

It doesn't literally look like the Queen's hearse, but if you lined up every SUV and wagon on the market, few or none would look more like the hearse.

Sep 20, 22 3:31 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

It doesn't appear to be too much of a greenhouse from outside but certainly once in the driver's seat you do get great visibility no denying it but it really feels a bit exposed too. I prefer the more coddled / protected feel from other cars. Outback is a nice option ( had one of those when all the kids were learning to drive ) and it's a solid family vehicle and super reliable in the snow. Just looking for something a bit more upscale at this point in my life. (IE empty nester with a bit more disposable funds).

Sep 20, 22 6:01 pm  · 
2  · 

I really like my Subaru Crosstrek. Good gas mileage, a wheel drive, and decent clearance. Also if you add a roof rack and lower the back seats you have enough room to haul out a quartered elk.

Sep 20, 22 6:20 pm  · 
3  · 
JLC-1

I'm waiting for the prices to go down a little to get a crosstrek, my wife drives a 2020 outback and I just sold a 2011 mini countryman that needed repairs above its price.

Sep 20, 22 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I think the Crosstrek is spot on for the Subaru market sector. I find that the interior finishes on both the upper end models of Forester and Outback trying to punch higher than they should IE they are "3's dressed up as 9's" The guts of the their cars are solid and super durable but the design, materials and finishing aren't up there with some of their competitors but their pricing is comparable which I can't support. Crossteck though really speaks to the heart of the Subie Nation and totally get why it's so popular.

Sep 20, 22 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That's what I drive and like I've said, it's outperformed my expectations in the 6 or 7 years we've had it. I suggested to my wife that we buy another, but she shot me down because "that's kinda weird." Thankfully she has good taste and grew up driving nice German and European cars, so it's likely Audi or Volvo next. If I had a little cash to burn, I'd seriously look at a Polestar.

Sep 20, 22 10:26 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

The Outback Limited and Premium models have much better finishes, probably not on par as the European counterparts though. But then again, not many Subie owners but them for the looks/finishes...

Sep 21, 22 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

Yes, I even have Subie matchbox cars.  

Sep 20, 22 10:13 pm  · 
2  · 
haruki

Does anyone know what cars members of the highly compensated SCI-arc "leadership" drive? If say Hernon Diaz Alanso and Tom Wiscombe are paid near half a million dollars a year they can afford to drive up to the school parking lot some pretty nice cars. 

Sep 21, 22 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Hernan had a leased 911 for a minute, like any average LA asshole. Amusingly parked in his special directors space, despite living literally a stones throw, on the other side of 4th St... 

Sep 21, 22 3:25 pm  · 
2  · 
RJ87

We're in the market for two SUV's right now. Nothing like car shopping to remind me how ugly most vehicles in the sub 40k price range are.

Sep 21, 22 5:34 pm  · 
1  · 
Stasis

Oh I feel sorry for u. Not sure if there will be sub 40K SUVs.. I just happened to be at a Toyota Dealership today and saw that markups are around 35-65%.. (in Northern Cal) 30K MSRP Toyota 86 was priced 42K...

Sep 21, 22 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Pro tip - get a Subaru VIP membership, thru a donation to the ASPCA or the like (do your research). Find a dealer that honors it (not all do). Once you find them, see their inventory and talk to them - with the VIP pricing they can not charge over invoice price....that said most cars are on a waitlist so may take a few weeks....

Sep 21, 22 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

Yeah, I thought I was going to get a BMW X1. MSRP was 36k, quote came back at 47K. Sad day that was lol.

Sep 22, 22 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

BMW also has a VIP Program...

Sep 22, 22 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

2022 models of the 2023 Rav4 Hybrid we have on order are currently selling for 20 to 25k more than our sale price. Used similar 2019-2020-21 models (some with 100k milage) also on market for 20+. I think I'll wait the 10months and save the markup.

Sep 22, 22 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

I am in situation where my car's worth (2018 Audi Q5) is lesser than the remaining loan amount. This means that I overpaid my car or didn't put down enough down payment. It's a great car, so I don't mind keeping it until it breaks, but this is a painful lesson for me to never buy any protection plans, extended warranty, and other craps that the dealership is trying to sell you. I purchased these because this was my first time buying a German car and wasn't sure about its reliability... Oddly, in my experience, Audi Q5 had lesser issues than my Subaru Forester (I had broken AC and key ignition so far). Q5 is a great car indeed.

Sep 22, 22 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Not sure if the culprit is those dealership extras or the rapid depreciation of german cars... either ways you should be ok in the long run, no, Statis?

Sep 22, 22 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

I think it is the former in this case. Used 2018 Q5 actually costs more than what I paid in 2020.. strange world we live in.. yea, I think I will be fine. I wouldn't need another car for at least 5 years, so I'll be fine.. thanks. after that, I'll make another bad decision and get a Corvette. I hear it cures mid life crisis :)

Sep 23, 22 12:57 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Better, get an expensive bike to cure the crisis ...

Sep 23, 22 1:13 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Bought the Volvo xc 40.

Sep 27, 22 4:39 pm  · 
5  · 
Non Sequitur

Resurrecting this thread.  My trusty and reliable 14y old Toyota is getting cubed this week.  The warm and sunny Canadian winters have apparently eaten away at the rear-axle structure and no amount of duct tape, unicorn giggles and thoughts & prayers can fix it.

All hail the new hybrid SUV which now graces my laneway.

May 1, 23 4:35 pm  · 
2  · 

That’s exciting, Non!

May 1, 23 8:42 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Nice. We also bit the bullet on a new used SUV this year. But not a hybrid - Five thousand pounds, supercharged, 330 horsepower. CANYONERO!

May 1, 23 11:15 pm  · 
1  · 

I forgot about this thread! Last summer I gave up on the BMW. It just kept breaking down too much. Bought a 1999 Miata C. My Miata dance card is now full, as I have driven every model. Miatas truly are the best car. Once my son graduates college, I will spring for another new Miata, by then I hope they are on the E-series, and I will drive it until Miata stops making stick shift internal combustion cars. In the meantime, Husband recently restyled this 1949 suburban wagon. It’s a really fun cruiser.

May 1, 23 8:51 pm  · 
5  · 
Non Sequitur

Those shoes…. Chef’s kiss

May 3, 23 6:26 pm  · 
1  · 
geezertect

I have a '52 Cadillac, so I can relate.  Vintage Miatas are pretty highly thought of in the sports car racing world.  The new stuff on the road today leaves me cold.

May 1, 23 9:53 pm  · 
1  · 
przemula

Recently got rid of my 2009 Subaru Legacy and got 2011 Audi A5. Despite only 2 years of difference between them, the driving experience and overall comfort is like night and day difference - a lot of things broke in my Subaru at the end, and I just didn't feel like fixing it anymore, as I've done most of the repairs myself - with the help of my gearhead friends. Due to broken exhaust and slipping belts, whole neighborhood could hear me starting my car in the morning. Audi, although being 12 years old, aged very gracefully (my model is 2 door and black) and looks really nice. Not to mention I got it from my brother for half a price, paid cash (no payments is the only way) and car engine, turbo and bunch of other things were replaced while it was still on warranty. I'm planning to do stage 1 engine tune to make it more peppy.

For all Subaru fans or just generally those of you who have any interest in car manufacturing, visiting car plants is really a intriguing spectacle. I recently went on a tour to Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN and I was mind blown about how intricate and sophisticated modern car making process is. I also went to Ford Rouge plant in Detroit about a year ago, but while touring it, everything was put on hold due to a microchip shortage, so tour itself was very underwhelming - though F-150 presentation was awesome. 

May 3, 23 5:39 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Before starting college for engineering in 1992 we had to read "The Machine that Changed the World," about the Japanese approach to auto-making, and it was eye-opening. I'm sure things are far more complex and finely tuned now.

I've been impressed with the fit and finish, and the general driving experience, of my 2018 Outback 3.6R but I'm starting to look around at what might be next. Maybe an Audi but I've just heard too many stories about repair bills on European vehicles. Not that I can't afford repairs, I just don't like dealing with them.

May 3, 23 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

My husband and that river rouge plant tour recently and loved it.

May 3, 23 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Yes we have two subarus, and I have to say, they dont build them like they used to. Many quirks and repairs here and there, but the driving experience is still amazing. Will be hard to break the subaru habit!

May 4, 23 2:38 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

Currently selling a BMW X3 and Audi A4 Allroad ( bought an E bike ) both great cars but figured its time to "walk the walk" and force myself out of my vehicles and onto my bike... plus they are way cheaper than any electric vehicle! Not done with cars just need to simplify! Oh and my wife has a Volvo XC 40 I can borrow if necessary.

May 3, 23 6:26 pm  · 
3  · 
sameolddoctor

An e-bike is cheating! But I don understand the need to not get sweaty while arriving at client meetings!

May 4, 23 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Well I do live in a hilly area and the ability to minimize my sweatiness encourages me to use the bike much more IE 80% of the time. I also find I am using it for groceries / pub / running errands rather than jumping in my car... the bike provides me with a low bar to any movement required that would usually have been done in the car. It becomes a utility fitness tool which I really like.

May 4, 23 4:23 pm  · 
1  · 

I really want to get a gravel bike for commuting. Unfortunately I cracked my rear frame on my mountain bike. The bike and its parts are discontinued so I had to buy a new, slightly better mountain bike. No more spending money for me this year. :(

May 4, 23 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Which MTB did you get Chad? I am a roadie, but with an endurance bike - so can possibly put gravel tires on it..but the climbing capability on my current groupset is not great. Would love to get a cool gravel bike at some point. Some great ones in the market these days...

May 4, 23 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

I got a Cannondale Habit Wave. It's a mid range bike, nothing fancy but I got a good deal on it considering it's an XXL frame.

May 4, 23 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

That is a nice one! Did you get the SRAM groupset, Im sure you can do some good climbs (and jumps) with the bike!

May 4, 23 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

Yup. Was already on the bike. It will be my first 29er so that should help climbing. It also has wider handlebars (31.5" vs 30") so that will be interesting!

May 4, 23 6:32 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

nice, sounds like a lot of fun...

May 5, 23 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Since Carerra seems to be still around, how goes it there?

May 4, 23 3:57 am  · 
 · 
pandahut

Bus > gravel bike > Subaru

May 4, 23 6:58 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

No busses or bikable routes where I am, so Subaru it is!

May 4, 23 7:42 pm  · 
1  · 
nabrU

R34 Skyline

May 4, 23 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Walk.

May 4, 23 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
numberonerenzopianofan

What is it with architects and subarus? I thought the stereotype was volvo but I guess that was in the 90s.

May 5, 23 2:01 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

My last Volvo blew the timing belt which totaled it. My Subaru has been reliable, it's comfortable to drive and gets me through snowy conditions and down rutted roads to the second homes I often design. I do a lot of small construction projects on the side and instead of having to maintain both a truck and a car, as I often have in the past, my Subaru can handle most tasks of both. (I do wish the towing capacity was higher.) They cost half of their fancier-looking, ground-scraping, more-expensive-to-repair competitors. But they are also very common in my area, which is not ideal.

May 5, 23 8:08 am  · 
 · 
OM..

Honda CRV

May 5, 23 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: