Archinect
anchor

​Path to Licensure- Canada or USA?​

Victoria1

I live in a border city in Ontario and am currently in the Internship in Architecture Program (IAP) to become a licensed architect in Ontario. I've always wanted the option to work in the USA (mostly because of the better pay), but would like the option to work in either country. Given this, should I consider working towards getting licensed through NCARB instead or continue through the OAA? Is there a way to be licensed in both countries? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 19, 24 11:17 am

Is the pay really that much better in the US?  Serious question.  

There are a few architects here who are licensed in the US and Canada.  I'm sure they will be able to help out. 

Jul 19, 24 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, it likely is in the larger metro areas. Starting intern pay here is about 45-50k CAD per year, maybe less in smaller cities. Most March grads are'nt worth much more than this skill-wise and the hill can be slow to climb but no one here is dumb enough to carry 100k + student loans.

Jul 19, 24 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's always better in Canada.  Less guns, less medical costs, and less Americans. Pay is also less but then again, you don't have to account for silly things like ammunition and health care.

Jul 19, 24 11:45 am  · 
2  · 

We have ammo vending machines now . . . .

Jul 19, 24 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Next to the soda and chip machines in high school cafeterias I bet.

Jul 19, 24 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

In grocery stores. Company is from Texas. Obviously.

Jul 19, 24 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Who would want to leave the land of Lots o' maple syrup to a place with less maple syrup. And I haven't even mentioned poutine or beaver tails, butter tarts and Nanaimo bars.

Jul 19, 24 1:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Victoria1

The thing about living on a border city is I would continue living in Canada (Windsor) but work in Detroit. So it’s less about the living situation, and more about the career path
which effects my decision of NCARB or OAA.

Jul 19, 24 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Neither Detroit or Windsor are particularly appealing as places but it’s always better in the dirty communist north.

Jul 19, 24 1:39 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Both are better than Buffalo

Jul 19, 24 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Tailgates are better in Buffalo.

Jul 19, 24 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: