Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

awaiting_deletion

you can read?

Aug 23, 16 9:56 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf.... Olaf..... Olaf.... 

Yes, I can read. That is as far as I am going to respond to your snarky sarcasm.

Aug 23, 16 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

he has a text-to-speak ap.  he probably wrote it for his commodore.

Aug 23, 16 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

@Donna, did miles leave? Also, always appreciated that phrase of his.

Is someone, calling someone else "the big kettle"?

night night TC!

Aug 23, 16 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

Hahaha, 

My Amiga had that from day one about 29 YEARS AGO. (28 YEARS 10 MONTHS) - Amiga 500 (yes, I have also an Amiga 1200) which had been a feature of the Amiga since the Lorraine prototype in 1984 and with the officially launched Amiga 1000, 31 YEARS AGO !

My C64 had this feature in 1982 via a program called SAM.

My TI-99/4A had the functionality even before that with a professional hardware speech synthesizer module and a cartridge.

Aug 24, 16 12:00 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and you haven't evolved since, kind of scary don't you think? if you ever left your mom's basement you'd know we have things like smart phones now.

Aug 24, 16 12:16 am  · 
 · 
Quondam, I like being the little kettle. It makes me feel secure.

Oh wait, that's spoon. I've said too much.
Aug 24, 16 12:19 am  · 
 · 

Olaf,

and you haven't evolved since, kind of scary don't you think? if you ever left your mom's basement you'd know we have things like smart phones now.

Are you trying to impress me? 

Aug 24, 16 1:05 am  · 
 · 

Miles left because of Balkins. I'd much rather see Balkins banned and get Miles back, even if I thought Miles was a prick sometimes. At least he was a well-informed prick.

Aug 24, 16 1:28 am  · 
 · 

I found another condo listing I like, again with that 1970s shed style and the towering Douglas-fir trees. I can't get enough of that... Pretty sure I was born in the wrong decade.

Aug 24, 16 1:44 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I'm tired of seeing Balkin's rubbish that's the one reason I haven't posted much for the last few weeks. He's destroying every discussion.

Aug 24, 16 5:36 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

thats because Balkins is an asshole. i believe its 3 flags to get a post removed, no? i am certain more than 3 people dont like his bullshit.

Aug 24, 16 6:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
can't flab posts from iPhone app.

David, I'm digging those trees. What's the deal, some sort of wood retreat gated comune?
Aug 24, 16 7:48 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Someone is saying someone has aspergers? I'd love to read that accusation. Must have missed it, was IT?

Aug 24, 16 7:56 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Silent Disapproving Stipe

Aug 24, 16 7:58 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Maybe?

Aug 24, 16 8:02 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

0re?

Aug 24, 16 8:03 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

ass burgers. been accused of it a few times, but the truth is I went from popular kid (homecoming king yada yada) to seriously entrenched philosopher. so the reality is you can enter that state of mind if you care to. the first girl i was dating that accused me of that was like 10 years older than me and her younger brother "suffered" from it. I said "suffered? i am not suffering but you clearly are! you are in your 30's and no baby to speak of."....she agreed, Sex in the City had an episode on that, her ethical compass. Like Brian on Family Guy says - thought it was one long tampon commercial - Sex in the City.....oh wait, now I am asshole, yada yada....human beings can only be interesting for so long, occasionally you get into computers and start to sound like one.....anyway , married to a hot woman and have daughters, as much as I want to be German sometimes, also known as Aspergers, i occasionally have to actually understand social interaction. mind you my 5 year old daughter is socially where I was in my 30-s haha....ass burgers

Aug 24, 16 8:38 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

/\ the main purpose of the internet, to document behavior so one can recommend appropriate meds. keep them guessing

Aug 24, 16 9:28 am  · 
 · 

South Park had a really good episode about Ass Bergers. I might watch it tonight.

Aug 24, 16 10:17 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i like the 70's shed style, but not very excited about current state of my T-111 siding, house was built in '74 and there are def. some areas that could use replacing.

Aug 24, 16 10:32 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This, is horrible.

Aug 24, 16 10:42 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Personally, I like this one.

Aug 24, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm crestfallen q, I actually like you, think your work, your website, and books have a lot to offer the student architects among us. Your three books I purchased, even made it through the last purge. Alas, I may like you, and you may find me...well.

At least my mom likes me, especially now that I've moved across country, but still, she likes me enough to send care packages.

#fuckyouse

#bababooeytoyouall

Aug 24, 16 10:55 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

David, that development looks TOPS. Get it!! LOVE the angled siding.

Funny, I definitely thought those types of developments looked dingy and shabby as a kid... My tastes have come around on me.

Aug 24, 16 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Manta, that style of design was pretty much at the peak of fashion when I was a kid first starting to take notice of the built environment, so I guess I've always had positive associations with it. I remember thinking how it seemed so fresh and modern compared to all the neo-colonial red brick and white trim that I was used to.

Aug 24, 16 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Ha! Definitely a matter of perspective. I grew up on the Best coast so had the opposite experience. Hacky versions of these (and 1960s concrete expressionism) were the background to my life -- and red brick was such an exotic concept to me that it literally formed the landscape to my dreams!  Now, after living more years away from the Best Coast than on it, those materials and forms now speak to me in a way they never did when I was blinded by familiarity...

Aug 24, 16 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

David,  I've always been a fan of that stuff too, but I grew up around it. The problem is that most of it simply isn't restrained enough in the first place (builders adding little details or ve'd items that aren't quite right) nor maintained with an eye towards accentuating its better qualities. 

Also, it tends to coincide with large parking lots, just due to the time period when it was built.

This was home for a long time:

Aug 24, 16 7:59 pm  · 
 · 

Agreed, it's a challenge to find a place of that style (or wood-frame construction in general, especially in this climate) that's been well-maintained and where the grounds are allowed to be dominated by the landscape rather than surface parking lots. The place I posted above and the place out in Redmond I posted last week seem to fit the bill at first glance.

My other big concern is acoustics, especially since my most recent nightmarish housing situation in NYC. I've now gotten spoiled living in high-rises with concrete floor slabs, and I don't ever want to be back in a situation where I'm hearing people stomp around above me. For wood-frame buildings that pretty much limits me to townhouses or top-floor units. (The place out in Redmond also forbids dogs on the property, which is a huge plus in my book.)

Aug 24, 16 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Welp.

After a beautiful week hiking and camping with my girlfriend in the Central Cascades, I came back to just in time for the bomb to drop... 50% of my design team laid off. Including me.

I sense I'll be wasting a lot more time on here in the coming weeks. Luckily plenty of people are hiring.

Aug 25, 16 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ouch...

reason for the mass culling?

Aug 25, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Hubris? Irrational optimism?

They grew too fast and bit off more than they could chew, and basically collapsed under their own weight.. and ran out of funds.

I weirdly feel bad for the people who got to stay. Whole lotta survivor's guilt going on right now. 

Aug 25, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry to hear tduds. Even if you're off to better pastures is still sucks to get laid off rather than leaving on your own terms and timeline.

You're in Portland, right? Maybe hit up El Balkarino ... word on the internets is that he has 'an in' at Ankrom Moisan.

Aug 25, 16 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Shit, tduds, sorry to hear that. I don't know if Balkins has an "in" at AMA, but I do. Our Portland office is hiring.

Aug 25, 16 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Ohhhhhh dear. tduds I hope yours isn't the first of many. I'm sorry you got hit, but for the moment I hear people are still hiring/looking! Steven Ward is looking in Louisville according the this week's podcast!

Aug 25, 16 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

I wondered, so I checked ... it turns out even I know someone at AMA Portland. Small world.

Does that mean I'm only 3 degrees of separation from Balkins?

Aug 25, 16 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

Knowing someone at that firm and "having an in" are two different things.

Aug 25, 16 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Welp.

After a beautiful week hiking and camping with my girlfriend in the Central Cascades, I came back to just in time for the bomb to drop... 50% of my design team laid off. Including me.

I sense I'll be wasting a lot more time on here in the coming weeks. Luckily plenty of people are hiring.

F---, that sucks. I wish you best in getting hired wherever the job is.

Aug 25, 16 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
Tduds, that sucks. Hopefully it becomes an opportunity for you to move your career in a direction you want.
Aug 25, 16 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Sorry to hear it tduds :(

Aug 25, 16 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

play the lottery. tduds.

Aug 25, 16 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Whelp, master of the obvious is back. 

Aug 25, 16 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Aug 25, 16 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Aug 25, 16 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Thanks y'all. After a whole lot of drinking last night, I'm feeling alright about this next chapter. In the meantime, it's still great hiking weather!

David: AMA is definitely on my radar. The PA I was just working under (who also got sacked) came over from Ankrom and is likely going back to his old spot. Gonna look at some smaller firms first because that's my preference, but they're a solid option.

Aug 26, 16 12:20 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Sorry to hear that tduds, hope it all and will work out well. Enjoy the funemployment.

Aug 26, 16 4:26 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

well did you play the lottery? maybe a scratch-off?

Aug 26, 16 6:50 am  · 
 · 

I wish NCARB would get it together and release more information about the ARE 5.0 already. I had pretty much determined I would finish out under 4.0, but assuming I pass SPD (I should find out next week), I'm looking at saving half the testing time by switching to 5.0 in November. 

• 4 tests left under 4.0, 2 under 5.0 (Same price for both until 4.0 is no longer offered) means saving half the cost I have left. Even if I fail one (or two) under 5.0 I still come out ahead (or even).
  • 21 hours of testing left in 4.0, only 10 hours under 5.0.

At this point, my only reservation in making the switch is that there is so much that is unknown about 5.0 when compared to 4.0. So, I wish NCARB would get it together already.

Aug 26, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Isn't there a loophole with the 4.0 and 5.0 and taking some in one, and fewer of the other?
Aug 26, 16 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

b3ta, that's what I'm looking at. There are two ways you can pass the ARE with only taking 5 exams

1. Take the following under 4.0: CDS, PPP, SPD. That will give you credit for 4 divisions in 5.0. Finish by taking PP&D and PD&D under 5.0.
  2. Take the following under 4.0: CDS, PPP. That will give you credit for 3 divisions in 5.0. Finish by taking P&A, PP&D, and PD&D under 5.0.

NCARB shows the various ways you get credit for 5.0 divisions here: https://arecalc.ncarb.org/ 

Aug 26, 16 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: