Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Bench

I debated only responding in GoT verses/quotes, but then I realized I have an actual job and no time for that kind of bullshit, so I just go back to telling him how dumb and/or creepy he is. Its quicker and gets the point across in a method he can understand..

Aug 18, 16 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Rick in a half hour any of us put together an at-least-plausibly-functional schematic floor plan - and we've all proven that by passing the ARE.  If you couldn't draw a schematic house plan complete with bathrooms in an hour then you're not qualified to post.

Aug 18, 16 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Visited the wayback machine:   https://s4.postimg.org/wipw3ycrh/13920838_10202279172338637_2992057404676587473_n.jpg

Unless the entry and the garage doors are directed toward the sheer face of a rising cliff, the "Elevation Plan" would seem to indicate that the garage is a major focal point.  If in fact they do face a cliff or other wall-like situation of sufficient height to obscure that view, then why is that the "elevation plan" that you chose to draw?  

Aug 18, 16 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
OMG
Aug 18, 16 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Those triangle things in the living room might be the bathroom, maybe that's why their windows are boarded up.  The round thing in the right triangle could be the toilet, and then you walk to the other triangle to wash your hands in the other round thing.  Maybe there's an outdoor shower in the courtyard.

Aug 18, 16 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

Rick in a half hour any of us put together an at-least-plausibly-functional schematic floor plan - and we've all proven that by passing the ARE.  If you couldn't draw a schematic house plan complete with bathrooms in an hour then you're not qualified to post.

Jesus "fucking" Christ, I did that entirely after I came back from a bunch of classes that very day and also had homework for classes to do.

BTW: The curved wall where the living room would have had essentially a wall of windows. The walk corridor from the entrance around the court yard would be largely glass work. It wasn't detailed out enough. 

It wasn't a very well thought out design but I was already exhausted when I did it and had other class work in my mind. It was a bullshit assignment and I have those guys a piece of shit turd as a big f--- you.

Aug 18, 16 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

The walk corridor is largely glass work so that when they wake up they can enjoy the view of the blank side of their garage as soon as they exit their bedrooms?

So you're saying you drew this when you were at the university, AFTER the 10+ years of CAD, historic preservation, and thousands of hours of self-study?  And AFTER you claimed that the university should grant you advanced standing directly into the M.Arch program?  And years AFTER you'd designed Astoria's theater of death?

Aug 18, 16 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

Back in the old days of Archinect, this is where Silent Disapproval Robot would make an appearance.

Aug 18, 16 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Nice stock floorplan Dick.
Aug 18, 16 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
Where do I poop? That's a very important question. A man has to have his throne.
Aug 18, 16 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

ricky that was your work?. sucks and I meam it. and where are the bathrooms?

Aug 18, 16 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf,

Yes it does. It is a turd I crafted in an hour for a bunch of assholes bothering me. I usually take more time than an hour to think up a design and refine it in my head before I even begin sketching but the assholes wanted in an less than an hour. 

Since I wasn't being paid to do it, there. Waste my time with bullshit and you get exactly that.... shit.

Aug 18, 16 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I loved Silent Disapproval Robot !

Aug 18, 16 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

ricky take it from me. if you cant deliver legit shit dont deliver especially if they assholes. dont deliver bad shit even if its free.

Aug 18, 16 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

That ship has sailed.  Now this ridiculous first-grade crayon house and the theater debacle are the only representations of his abilities, and are what will come up if anybody considering hiring or contracting him ever tries to check out his work.  He'd be better off at this point putting in the time and effort to do some better quality examples - if he's actually capable of it.  He's got all the time in the world now - no job, no classes, no homework - no excuses.

And for the record: it wasn't a bunch of assholes bothering him.  It was him being an asshat-full-of-bothersome-misinformation-from-the-voice-of-dubious-experience, as usual.  It was a put up or shut up challenge, and yes, he would have been better shutting up, but he didn't and now it's too late.

Aug 18, 16 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Tired? I wish I could use that excuse.
"You missed something in the CDs and now it's going to cost us $10k - Sorry, I was tired"
"Your detail cut someone - Sorry I was tired."

Tired isn't an excuse.
Aug 18, 16 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

kjdt, sorry I give him too much credit.  You'd think with all the effort he puts into inaccurate bullshit he might be capable of other things, but I guess not.

Ricky are you in Prison?

Aug 18, 16 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

enough about losers.

Aug 18, 16 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I failed SPD, ran out of time.

Holy shit-balls. My 14 year old niece draws at the same level. An hour? There looks to be a shit ton of #2 graphite on that scratch, gotta be more than an hour.

Fuck. 

Aug 18, 16 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
RWCB should work for Hollywood. His house designs would make excellent horror movie film sets.
Aug 18, 16 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Or the New Brady Bunch - Eastside Edition.

Aug 18, 16 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

I don't understand how someone who has been a "building designer" for so many years wouldn't have had any number of house layouts more fully formulated in their minds and ready to sketch at a moment's notice.  This guy has been pontificating on residential design and his "profession" for over a decade now, talking about his alleged residential projects and clients and his schemes to generate stock house plans, take the NCBDCBDB exam, etc.  He's said several times that if he was allowed to take the ARE he could pass it right now.  Wouldn't that imply that he habitually thinks about plans?  Why did he need an hour to come up with this self-admitted turd? And since he's fully aware that it's a turd why did he post it himself on his own site and write it a little blurb about its great U-plan one story 3 bedroom with breakfast bar typology? 

Aug 18, 16 11:34 pm  · 
 · 

I guess we should be flattered that we're in a profession that a bullshit artist like Ricky wants to pretend to be part of. You never see people online pretending to be mattress store managers.

Aug 19, 16 12:43 am  · 
 · 

JBeaumont,

I don't understand how someone who has been a "building designer" for so many years wouldn't have had any number of house layouts more fully formulated in their minds and ready to sketch at a moment's notice.  

I wasn't copying a design layout that I may have used already. In other words, a completely different layout. Jesus Christ, try that when your mind is preoccupied with things like homework for classes like a political geography class and a GIS class, etc. When you are taking 12+ credits of classes at a research oriented university, I will have to say, sometimes you have to not have your mind preoccupied with things like building design work and think. Get your head out of your ass, I was attending college at the time and a number of the course at that particular term were not architectural design oriented coursed. When those assholes on that forum were pestering me, they wanted some design in a ridiculously little amount of time. 

This guy has been pontificating on residential design and his "profession" for over a decade now, talking about his alleged residential projects and clients and his schemes to generate stock house plans, take the NCBDCBDB exam, etc.  

I had class homework on my mind for classes like geography that I needed to do so houses were not in particular on my mind. 

He's said several times that if he was allowed to take the ARE he could pass it right now.

The ARE does not involve designing. When there was one in the OLD tests, you had 8 to 12 HOURS to develop a design solution for what would be a SCHEMATIC DESIGN. I had less than an hour. 

Wouldn't that imply that he habitually thinks about plans?  

First off, in real client projects, I would spend maybe day or more to think about a design. 

Why did he need an hour to come up with this self-admitted turd?

The design didn't require an hour. In fact, I had closer to 30 minutes to come up with a design and draw it. Reading the email took maybe 5 minutes making such a demand. Then it took about 5 to 10 minutes to walk to get to the library in Lawrence Hall. It took maybe another 5 to 10 minutes for a computer with a scanner to become available to be used as I have to wait for other students. Then the next 5 to 10 minutes to login, scan the drawing, whatever I needed to do for the post such an image on AREForum.

And since he's fully aware that it's a turd why did he post it himself on his own site and write it a little blurb about its great U-plan one story 3 bedroom with breakfast bar typology? 

I don't recall putting it on my website. I might have uploaded into the webspace storage area but I don't recall ever placing a direct link from my website's webpages to the image. It was probably uploaded into the web storage area only because I believe I had to upload it somewhere in order for the image links on the AREForum to work. I don't think I ever said that it was great. That is you making up shit.

Aug 19, 16 12:49 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

The current ARE has several vignettes in which you must follow particular programs to design required program spaces and develop a reasonable plan meeting stated adjacency and access requirements - essentially the same exercise you were undertaking here, except that on the ARE you draw the rooms with a rudimentary CAD application instead of a pencil.  I took the exam a few years ago in the 9-test version - I'm not sure the time allotted to each vignette is exactly the same now, and I know some of the vignettes have been changed/combined/eliminated, but at the time there were 3 hours allotted to the largest design exercise (a 2-story commercial building - usually a combination of assembly and education or business occupancies), 30 minutes allotted for the interior layout design exercise (usually an office suite of about the same number of rooms and square footage as your house plan), an hour for the vignette in which you must design a series of ramps and stairs in a multi-story atrium, an hour for the one where you design a roof, an hour for the site design one, an hour for the building section, and hour for the parking lot design, and hour for grading contours, an hour for locating the building envelope, etc.  So the time frame you had for this house was not unreasonable as compared to current ARE testing conditions.

As for all the excuses about homework and classes and your mind being elsewhere: where is it now?  You've got not classes, no homework, no job to go to, no kids to preoccupy you, no commitments of any sort that would take more than a few hours per week.  Wouldn't now be a good time to design?

Aug 19, 16 10:20 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Yeah RWCB. Let's see a new floor plan. You're not doing anything else with your life now.

Give us a new floor plan. Make sure your name and a copyright symbol is on it. As well a digital water mark. That way no one will steal your award winning stock plan.
Aug 19, 16 10:37 am  · 
 · 

One hour for a complete building with no site and no program ... that exercise seems a little unfair for Balkins if I'm being honest. No idea why he would have even tried, let alone post that response.

That being said, he can download the free practice software and do the sample problem from NCARB for the SD vignettes. Give him 1 hour for the interior layout vignette, and 4 hours for the building layout vignette ... just like the actual test. 

Program here: http://www.ncarb.org/are/~/media/Files/PDF/ARE-Exam-Guides/SD_Exam_Guide.ashx

Software here: http://www.ncarb.org/are/~/media/Files/Software/ARE-Exam-Guides/SchematicDesSetup.ashx

Video help from NCARB here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZyaye4Ue0 and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ5ifYqnTto

There should be no excuses for this one. Actual test candidates are posting their solutions daily on various forums and group message boards. 

However, since we can't ever really trust Balkins to be truthful about the time spent on his solution ... he'll need to post a beginning screenshot showing the clock and the vignette starting screen, and a final screenshot showing the clock again and his solution so we can verify the time limit has been met. Screenshots should be posted to this forum within 10 minutes of taking them (we'll give him a 10 minute extension on the time for each vignette to account for this). 

Should easily be able to get it done this weekend and post something before Monday. That would be plenty of time to get used to the software and practice a few times before timing the actual attempt. 

Aug 19, 16 11:41 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

The people "pestering" him on the areforum asked him to do exactly that, but his computers were too old to run the NCARB software (I'm guessing they've only gotten older, as he has no means to obtain new ones), plus he claimed that using NCARB's practice software to work on the vignettes of commercial building types somehow constitutes the illegal practice of architecture in Oregon.  Balkins was the one who made up the rules, the assignment, program, and time limit of this drawing exercise - nobody asked him to do it.   The "pesterers" were requesting that he stop posting about the ARE, architecture school admissions, IDP, practice regulations, workplace procedures, etc. because he had no relevant experience and kept posting misinformation.  He was attempting to prove the fitness of his alleged 8 years of building design experience as qualification to advise on those subjects.

Aug 19, 16 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Well this just keeps getting better and better. The old "illegal practice of architecture in Oregon" and "my computer is too old" excuses. 

Balkins, you can't make up your own test and then complain about how dumb of a test it is when you fail it. You've lost any sympathy you might have gotten from me. 

Actually having an older computer might come in handy for the practice vignette software. I had to dig up my old laptop with Windows 7 on it to get it to work for me (albeit with some quirks). I think NCARB recommends installing it on a machine running Windows XP. 

Aug 19, 16 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Everyone know balkins is a commodore guy.
Aug 19, 16 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

The people "pestering" him on the areforum asked him to do exactly that, but his computers were too old to run the NCARB software (I'm guessing they've only gotten older, as he has no means to obtain new ones), plus he claimed that using NCARB's practice software to work on the vignettes of commercial building types somehow constitutes the illegal practice of architecture in Oregon.  Balkins was the one who made up the rules, the assignment, program, and time limit of this drawing exercise - nobody asked him to do it.   The "pesterers" were requesting that he stop posting about the ARE, architecture school admissions, IDP, practice regulations, workplace procedures, etc. because he had no relevant experience and kept posting misinformation.  He was attempting to prove the fitness of his alleged 8 years of building design experience as qualification to advise on those subjects.

I never said my computer is too old to run the ARE software. I didn't say doing a vignette itself of commercial building types is illegal practice. The vignettes were never involving complete building design of any kind. It isn't like the old school design portion of the architectural exam.

The people who wanted it done in an hour were those who were pestering me. After all, they were the ones who specified wanting to see the scans or uploads in 1 hour time frame.

For example take a look at the ARE practice exam, the vignettes are not even involving actual designing of a building. It's not a design competition. It's not even really designing as there is no grading on qualitative things like design composition. That's not what the ARE is about.

Aug 19, 16 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

@ David

Aug 19, 16 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

^ Win

Aug 19, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Balkins, I took the ARE.  I understand what is on it and what is tested.  In the paper-pencil full-day design problem days the grading was also not a design competition - it was on functional adjacencies and detailing - no aesthetic judgement in the grading criteria.  The current test contains approximately the same amount of time devoted to graphic and multiple choice content as was the casein the pencil-paper days - it's just that now not it's broken into several tests, with several vignettes each, some of which do not pertain to the same building. 

The 1-hour time limit on your drawing game was all you - nobody demanded it. You announced that you were going to go do what you did - the only "demand" anyone made was some wondering if you were going to make it back within the hour (and for the record you did not - the actual elapsed time was 2 hours, 20 minutes). I resurrected the drawing yesterday - do you really want me to paste your comments too? I advise against it - hint: you come across even dumber than you did when you posted on here that there are no published sources of reference for UL assemblies.

Aug 19, 16 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Well this just keeps getting better and better. The old "illegal practice of architecture in Oregon" and "my computer is too old" excuses. 

Balkins, you can't make up your own test and then complain about how dumb of a test it is when you fail it. You've lost any sympathy you might have gotten from me. 

Actually having an older computer might come in handy for the practice vignette software. I had to dig up my old laptop with Windows 7 on it to get it to work for me (albeit with some quirks). I think NCARB recommends installing it on a machine running Windows XP. 

I didn't specify the assignment had to be done in an hour. I didn't make that specification. That is where kjdt is mixing in lies and bullshit with pieces of quasi-truths. He was disingenuous in that, the forum had demanded drawings presented in a 1 hour time frame from the time of their post. They made the 1 hour time window criteria.

I NEVER said I couldn't run the NCARB software. I had a Windows XP computer and I had a computer with modern Windows 8 and also Linux that I can run. At the same time, there was also the online VM portal to access the practice software.

Aug 19, 16 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

RWB, on 04/13/2013: "I have more experience then any architecture student or IDP intern.  There is no way a 20 year old student can have my experience because if they wasn't 18 they can't legally enter a legal contract.  I can design in an hour a single family residence plan as good as any that interns can design."

You made the 1 hour claim.  The most "demand" you got from anyone was "I'll believe it when I see it", "bullshit", and "Rick's hour is up".

Aug 19, 16 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

The 1-hour time limit on your drawing game was all you - nobody demanded it. You announced that you were going to go do what you did - the only "demand" anyone made was some wondering if you were going to make it back within the hour (and for the record you did not - the actual elapsed time was 2 hours, 20 minutes). I resurrected the drawing yesterday - do you really want me to paste your comments too? I advise against it - hint: you come across even dumber than you did when you posted on here that there are no published sources of reference for UL assemblies.

KJDT:

Perhaps 2 Hours and 20 minutes passed. But I didn't even get the read the reply until maybe an hour and a half after the post was posted which was about when I got back to the dorm shortly after the class ended. 

Maybe I misconstrued the person's response as a demand for it to be done in an hour. However, I did do that design and everything within an hour and uploaded it FROM the time I read the post. I didn't take look at when the person actually posted their comment. Lets remember, forums are a little bit asynchronous and replies may not always be real time like instant messages. 

Perhaps, I probably should have just took more time to make a more better well thought out plan and chalk it up to a the asynchronous nature of forums. Had I did that, it would be clearly a complaint and cry of "BULLSHIT" if I were to claim I did that within an hour.

I wasn't going to spend 2 hours or 4 hours or 8 hours on designing something that was demanded to be done in an hour. Think about it. It would still be 1 hour of time frame in accordance with the standards of that demand and guess what, that is what that person got as a response. If the person wanted something more thought out, perhaps, say 24 hours or 48 hours. After all, they knew I was attending college classes and have class homework so my available time within a 48 hour time window would not be very much... maybe 8 or 12 hours if lucky.

Aug 19, 16 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
file

kjdt / Rick: would you children please take this pissing match outside - TC's for grown ups.

Aug 19, 16 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

RWB, on 04/13/2013: "I have more experience then any architecture student or IDP intern.  There is no way a 20 year old student can have my experience because if they wasn't 18 they can't legally enter a legal contract.  I can design in an hour a single family residence plan as good as any that interns can design."

I wasn't saying that I was going to design the design in an hour.  

Aug 19, 16 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

You made the 1 hour claim.  The most "demand" you got from anyone was "I'll believe it when I see it", "bullshit", and "Rick's hour is up".

Lets not forget that I was in class at the time the post was made in the first place so an hour plus had passed even since I saw the 'demand'. 

Technically, what I drew up was about 30 minutes in design and drawing NOT a full hour. This is because of all the time it takes to get it scanned and uploaded when I had to go from Walton Hall complex to the library in Lawrence Hall for access of a color scanner. I also had to wait a little bit to get on the computer. Then I had to scan it and then upload it to get it all done within an hour. Normally, such one hour design competitions, I would have an entire hour to design and draw up not HALF that. I suppose with 5 or 10 more minutes, I would have thought out the design more and include a bathroom in the layout.  By the way. Who says the garage wall has to be entirely plain or anything. 

In fact, the courtyard design borrows from Japanese architecture with a central courtyard such as a siheyuan. Albeit, I wasn't doing strict adherence to such architecture but this was just one concept that was illustrated where I was adapting typical American domestic housing and distributing the spaces around a central courtyard in a largely U shape layout with a view to both the "sheet north' (top) and 'sheet south' (bottom). Hence a curved 'glass wall'  along the 'sheet north' view and view down the corridor into a possible distant landscape feature. 

In natural time and developing process, I would have easily developed and refined the design and layout into something a hell of a lot nicer within the design concept. In fact, I already have better or more refined concepts.

Some adaptions of the idea I have does not need or require glazing and it would be a walk corridor in that sense. 

The courtyard would be a private outdoor 'living space'. 

Aug 19, 16 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Is this back and forth really happening?
Aug 19, 16 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

N.S.,

You know, you're right, there is no sense in debating back and forth over a design and sketch that was done in about 30 minutes (not counting scanning and uploading).

Aug 19, 16 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

please lord jesus shoot me now.

Aug 19, 16 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Olaf, noooo, there are too many delicious trapist brews out-there... donèt give up yet.

Balkins, the sketch is not that disastrous considering you have literally zero experience designing buildings. D+ at best but I've seen equal and worst from other lay-people.

Aug 19, 16 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

Please Lord Olaf, stop being a drama queen.

Try coming up with a house plan design, one that you had not spent hours or days or otherwise been designing in your head and refining in your head for a long time. Try coming up with a design and sketch it BY hand (not computer designed but actually design and drawn.... no computer scripts). You have to come up with a complete new and different concept than any other design that you have ever designed or though of designing. It's completely new. It has to be done in 30 minutes (you shall film yourself and record it doing it. We'll give you the next 30 minutes (no overage) after that to scan it and upload it and post a message. You shall have a time/date stamp. An overage grace period of about maybe 5 minutes is permitted for the scanning and uploading and slightly readjusting the camera but a clear view of a clock should be present. The setting up of the camera won't count and should be set up in the time frame. You have up to 24 hours to upload the video and place a link. A new thread should be created to post the video and the scanned images of the drawing. The video shall not be edited, altered or otherwise by you in any way or form other than video compression formatting. Any video ad inserts that maybe implanted by Youtube and similar platforms shall not be deemed as alteration or editing on your part.

Aug 19, 16 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf, noooo, there are too many delicious trapist brews out-there... donèt give up yet.

Balkins, the sketch is not that disastrous considering you have literally zero experience designing buildings. D+ at best but I've seen equal and worst from other lay-people.

N.S.,

Normally, I spend sometimes days working out a design in my head and all the layout. So in order to keep in the spirit of the demand, I wasn't using anything that I had either already done OR had been working on and refining in my mind for days or weeks or even months. Since even that time that I'm mulling through a design is time spent designing before laying even ONE single line on the paper. 

I'm not talking about 30 minutes of drawing something that I spent the last 10 to 20 hours a week for the past 5 weeks mulling around and refining in my head before committing to drawing a single line. I'm talking about maybe 5 or 10 minutes of designing from a complete blank slate and drawing it in the next immediately following 20 to 25 minutes. 

I'm sure we both can do a hell of a lot better than that if we are starting on a design that we had been working on in our minds for the past several weeks.

Think about it. It took maybe 3 hours to draw up Fallingwater from a blank sheet of paper but FLW had spent days and weeks designing Fallingwater in his head before even drawing a single line.

Aug 19, 16 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

one more peep out of...

Aug 19, 16 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

not bad for 1 hour.  (click the link)

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/570a958bab48de7164536ffe/t/572bdacc554f017679c17c8e/1462492076517/Sketches-05-04-2016-.jpg

Is that 1 whole hour of sketching? How many minutes or hours had the person spent mulling on ideas in the head before drawing even the first line?

I'm sure, a person can sketch and draw all that in 1 HOUR but that designing probably been going on intermittently for a considerable amount of time.

Aug 19, 16 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf, 

Don't joke around like that. It's not really funny.

Aug 19, 16 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: