Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

no_form

they didn't need to contemplate for days or weeks on end to do that.  they just used their design education and experience (which you have neither of) and made up a fun little house plan.  

you as a lay person, with no education or experience, find that hard to believe.  but it's possible, and happens all the time.  

Aug 19, 16 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Is scanning and uploading particularly onerous in Astoria, Oregon?
Aug 19, 16 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

ricky calm down, it's only the internet, you wanted drama...

Aug 19, 16 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

b3tadine,

Pay attention if you are going to reply. 

At the time, I was at a dorm at a UNIVERSITY (Eugene, Oregon) that's about 15 ft. x about 20-ft. that's shared by 2 other people. I didn't have a flatbed scanner with me, down there. 

The scanner would only be good for maybe 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper but definitely not large format paper. The other location where I can get access to a scanner other than any of the ones in Lawrence Hall, would be the main library but by location, it was further away by foot so it would take longer to get to the library from there. 

Aug 19, 16 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Hey Rick, remember Ricardo? Don't be like Ricardo.
Aug 19, 16 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

The scanner is more irrelevant but I have to be selective about what I bring to a dorm. Having to have a scanner in the dorm was not a high priority for class work.

Aug 19, 16 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
[facepalm]
Aug 19, 16 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

Balkins, this painting is about 1" bigger than a letter size piece of paper.  It is a masterpiece.  the scanner, size of the room, number of occupants, pencil, pen, brush, cad program, mouse, is NOT the problem.  

http://www.mfa.org/collections/object/artist-in-his-studio-32665

Aug 19, 16 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

[facepalm]

*Shakes head and walks away* 

(Comparing a 30 minute sketch to a Rembrandt...? WTF?)

Aug 19, 16 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
My point is that you can't design no matter what. Face palm.
Aug 19, 16 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

I'll design as I see fit and you all can go to hell.

Aug 19, 16 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Aug 19, 16 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Rikki, if you're going to reply, try saying something relevant to one person, just one. So far, you've not found one person to back your position, or any position. In fact, it would seem that you've alienated people on more than one website. Which honestly, is a feat of such rarity, that I think I'm going to nominate you for the interweb HOF.
Aug 19, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Anyone else incredibly happy they don't have Rick working under them?
Aug 19, 16 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

He's pissed off people on literally hundreds of websites.  That's been his full time job for the past 15 years.  There's no point trying to reason with him.  Here's a quote from somebody trying on another site over 12 years ago!  And yet it could be written by any of us here:

Once you understand and metabolize there's a lot of people you've pissed
off, bored, etc., you should start to think at the reasons why that
happened...  The purpose of a newsgroup, in my opinion, is growing a knowledge on a
certain subject, find an answer to your questions and get help, offer help
to others and, why not, making a couple pen friends in the process, to
share your interests with.  What you're doing here, instead, is just blabbering a go go without knowledge, without helpng anyone, without accepting help from anyone - just
insults and unimportant speech nobody gives two shits about...  And please don't reply to this post, I don't need your reply, especially a senseless one. Take this, no more, no less, as a friendly advice.

Sound familiar? Friendly advice - going in one ear and out the other - for 15 years and counting.

Aug 19, 16 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

facepalm

Aug 19, 16 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

no_form the marker and linework on that sketch is delightful. I miss doing real drawings - and I've definitely lost my marker skills from disuse.

Aug 19, 16 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

donna you are a wonderful person in your continual positivity in all situations, i'd say I'd love you but I don't use that word, but in like rare moment in Die Hard Bruce Willis scenarios... but come on ' man....I tell my daughter she's beautiful and she says not as much as mom, wtf, I digress.

John Hejduk does some sketching

own all his books but MEdusa, that was selling for like $400 last time I checked...

Aug 19, 16 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Anyone else incredibly happy they don't have Rick working under them?

Josh Mings,

I'm not pursuing architectural licensing anymore so why would I work for an architect?

I think I'd stop pursuing architectural licensure awhile ago. 

Aug 20, 16 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Ricardo, you would not know how to work for or as an architect anyways so don't pat yourself on the back.

Now back to regular TC stuff. My office took on a large &expensoe custome home project as a flavour to an important client of ours. It's been ongoing for a 2ish years and now that they finally bought a site, permit docs are expected ASAP. The problem is, the project was tossed through a few staff members (licensed and none) but what's been produced is bad. Bad details, bad planning, bad CD set.

So here I come swooping in to save the day and I don't work on residential. Damn sketch-up kids these days dot know how things work. I basically need to redraw and rethink the house.
Aug 20, 16 6:32 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yes, back to important TC stuff. I'm so glad I don't work in an office that does sketch-up. Have fun. Post pics if u can.

Aug 20, 16 8:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Tintt, I don't quite have the same level of hatred of SU as when I first entered the working world.  It's cheap and so easy to use, anyone should be able to pick it up within 20-mins. Works well for when the firm's owner wants to see quick changes and shit like that. But an M.arch is not required to operate it.

The problem I see is in the next step where the project moves into DD or CD phase.  SU modeling techniques (or cheats as I call them in the office) just keep finding their way. Perhaps this a regional thing but I find very little drive to learn and use new and better software... and those who do, and I fall dead-centre in that category, are much more suited to the difficult phases of the project (or unaffordable for concept-design fees). I have seen a shift thou in the last 2 years of newbies. Except for the int-des crew (they can keep their SU), speak 3D-studio or Revit (even at community college group assignment level) and you've got the cheif's attention... But beware, once hired, I'm standing right there making sure the grunts don't pick-up the bad SU habits of the others.

Aug 20, 16 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

damn... so many spelling mistakes. I guess that's what I get trying to type full sentences with one hand while holding/feeding an infant in the other.

Aug 20, 16 9:11 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sketchup is on the way out, now that revit is working with formit. 

Olaf, I've got Medusa, I don't have Sounding.

Aug 20, 16 9:22 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

jealous.

Aug 20, 16 9:54 am  · 
 · 
gruen
I use SU for quickies, but once we have a design, it gets redrawn in Revit. The SU model is just a suggestion.
Aug 20, 16 10:07 am  · 
 · 

I've ranted about this before, but I've noticed that Sketchup seems to be used in some offices as a crutch to make up for lack of design chops. It's no surprise that the vast majority of what's being built today ends up looking like a poorly-conceived Sketchup rendering. There's nothing worse than looking at a completed project and be able to instantly tell what software it was designed with.

IMO the problem comes down to staffing, and seems most severe in firms where project teams are split between designers and technical / production staff, with the designers invariably fresh out of school who know Sketchup really well but not much about actually designing a building. When the project goes into production, it's up to the technical grunts to work out all the unbuildable conditions that were modeled in Sketchup and presented to the client. This seems to happen in less design-savvy, more production-oriented firms where people are placed into roles based on what software they know rather than their actual strengths and weaknesses as an architect.

It seems counterintuitive, but at the more design-oriented firms I've worked for (including three laureates of the national AIA Firm Award), the terms "project designer" and "design director" don't exist as roles or job titles; the project principal typically takes on the role of lead designer, even if all he/she produces are a few rough sketches on trace paper, and the Project Architect is expected to carry that concept through CDs and CA. (The PA also tends to be a more senior-level position, rather than merely a job captain.) The entire staff, even those whose biggest strengths are more toward management or CDs/CA, are expected to be good designers by default.

On a happier topic, I'm off to the Olympic Peninsula for the day. Too damn hot in the city today and my place doesn't have A/C, so I'm hoping it will be cooler along the coast. This is my first road trip since the accident last month... Let's hope the wildlife stays off the road this time.

Aug 20, 16 10:11 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

does that count as a book?

Aug 20, 16 10:42 am  · 
 · 
I have a copy of Pewter Wings, Golden Horns, Stone Veils that I need to crack open soon.

Did Rick just suggest I give up going for licensure? I did give it up already...a year ago when I passed all my exams and became licensed. Oh, Rick. Are you off searching for One-Eyed Willy's treasure today?
Aug 20, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

q i ordered years all i could afford until some originals started costing to much and i remember Medusa...am i going to actually go in my library and list them all because you ask - no. but i am certain i have the one Josh is listing and certain i do not have the magazine/journal copy you mentioned.

Aug 20, 16 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Life gets pretty boring when you spend your days chained up in Mama Fratelli's basement.

Aug 20, 16 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
I'm just a Sloth looking for my Chunk.....no, Captain Chunk.

That would make a great dating profile line.
Aug 20, 16 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

No.

Aug 20, 16 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
You two need a timeout.
Aug 20, 16 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Bench
NS, are you really finding lots of grads coming out with only sketch up knowledge these days? CU courses only covered AutoCAD/Rhino/Revit, I don't think I ever saw an SU project get pinned up while I was there, even at undergrad level. At my current office we only push revit/rhino and (imo) are getting decent at cross-platforming our modelling workflows. I've always disliked 3DS for its mesh modelling. Nurbs ftw.
Aug 20, 16 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Ricardo, you would not know how to work for or as an architect anyways so don't pat yourself on the back. 

You're right. I just don't get the whole idea of living like:

Aug 20, 16 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Incorrect. You do not understand what its like working in architecture in any capacity because you've continuously failed at it your entire life. Nice try though, I'm sure your google search for slavery/bondage was fun to flip through just to get your shitty shutterstock photo.

Aug 20, 16 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

currently checking out at grocery store.....if that was your question q then ask it that way. would you like me to find a link for you or something? while i check out?

Aug 20, 16 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

quondam, you should send olaf your copy of a+u if you have it, to help him out

Aug 20, 16 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

oops.  double posted

Aug 20, 16 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

thanks for links. and if TC were a bar currently q and olaf are fighting over Hejduk bibliogrpahy? funny

Aug 20, 16 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

q, you've got 7 houses and Lancaster correct?

Aug 20, 16 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

you never know...yeah send me the copy and send medusa while at it

Aug 20, 16 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

You know, yesterday, everybody was fighting with me. Now, we have this quondam / Olaf..... whatever the f---.

Aug 20, 16 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf have you heard the suggestion to not praise your daughters for being beautiful? Because of course everyone's daughter is beautiful (as are sons) but that's not a skill, you should praise them for being smart, consistent, tenacious, thoughtful, etc - all those things that should be valued more than appearance.

I have mixed feelings about this advice, but I do see its point.

I tell people I love them all the time. Especially since a friend of a friend experienced the tragedy of her 3 year old child dying accidentally right as she is in the middle of battling serious cancer and possibly facing death herself. When discussing this event, her suggestion to everyone was to never be stingy with love, every moment of every day. To think of her, going through all of this, still having a heart big enough to tell others to love more and often....I know I sound like a suburban middleaged pollyanna mom who scrapbooks and makes vision boards of her dream laundry room when I say it, but it's true. It just never hurts to show love to others.

Aug 20, 16 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

donna thank you for the advise. i do tell she is smart and talented a lot, which she is, but like me and really like my mother she shrugs it off and says nothing is good enough...... Q what you working on? lots of his poetry, was reading one a while a go, taking place in spain or something. now i have to go dig it up, ha

Aug 20, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

q, easy there spanky not an accusation, I was just thinking that you're a prodigious collector of rare items, and you may have those. but you go on with your fight with olaf about who has the bigger dick.

Aug 20, 16 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Aspergers 

Aug 20, 16 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

noooooo....you're not touchy, not at all....i see your non-touchiness, and raise you; hey, you have a transcript of hejduk's last lecture, right?

Aug 20, 16 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

as i open a sour from asbury park and hang out with peoples and watch angry birds with kids on the 120" screen (outdoor night) q in short your question worded as it was was touchy, you should go back and read it. how about that time you asked me about type writers? you and rick have a lot in common. anyway what are you working on and please list the topics being explored and do you have graphics because unlike Bratton and his awesome book The Stack you actually have time to deliver? toodles.

Aug 20, 16 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: