Archinect
anchor

Architectural Computation

stungbyscorpion

Hi Guys,

I am interested in Architectural Computation and I might join some masters related to the same.

I have no prior knowledge in programming, computation, digital fabrication etc.

Could you'll please tell me which programming languages should I familiarize myself with before joining the course, so that I can have some prior knowledge in the field and so that can use my time during the course to actually do something by applying the softwares rather than use the course to just learn a particular software.

Also, are there preferences in programming languages taught/used in the arch schools in UK and USA or is it all the same?

Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Dec 21, 15 2:18 pm
tomahawks_619

Hey 

Umm most of the computation stuff is grasshopper, kangaroo and plugins based on grasshopper. Python is used at times if more complex algorithms are required but Grasshopper is pretty good in general.

Be fluent in Rhino and Grasshopper to start with and most rhino plugins.

MIT, Sci Arc, Columbia , GSD and Michigan but they are sorta changing their philosophy now are the most popular schools for computation. 

Dec 21, 15 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
ArchInspired

Hi tomahawks,

Thanks for your insight! Any other schools on the east coast that you would recommend, as that's where I'm applying to? Thank you!

Dec 21, 15 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
stungbyscorpion

Thank you tomahwks_619 for your comments.

Let me be more specific here..

Are certain programming languages given more importance than the other depending upon the location of the schools? UK and USA? I wasn't asking for which universities have courses catering to architectural computation.

Thanks again.

Dec 22, 15 3:53 am  · 
 · 

stungbyscorpion,

I would argue that most programming laguages that you'll find being used in Architectural computing are those that are compatible 'out of the box' with the tools used by architects such as the Revit api for plugins and other such extensions and scripting. 

.NET compliant programming languages for example as Revit has a .NET API.

Additionally, Python as used in Revit.

Bottom line: Of course, you don't have to entirely program only in those languages. C# and Python are good start for programming for these programs but you aren't completely bound to those languages. Web based components of your 'program' may need to be using a web based program or Java or whatever suited for that. It depends on what you are trying to achieve as an outcome. 

Now, the schools aren't going to be able to teach you for a long enough period of time to go into that too much. They'll probably focus on a specific group of languages commonly used in the suite of software programs that you will be using in the course of the degree and they will most likely be using common software used in architecture. Basically Autodesk products in a lot of programs. 

To be good with a programming language, it takes time. You can't assume to master it in 2-3 weeks or even an entire semester or two.

Other suggested languages/tools:

Grasshopper

Dynamo

Rhinoscript

the list goes on but it depends on the apps and tools and how you doing in-app scripting, plugins, extensions, etc. to each app. That varies.

There can be dozens of programming/scripting/markup (computer) languages you may have to obtain familiarity with to some level.

Dec 22, 15 5:46 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Rhinoscript is not a programming language.....built-in scripts are not a programming languages, they are often similar to languages like Visual Basic. Grasshopper is not a programming language...............................Rick B your google searching failed to make you look like you knew what you were talking about....................anyway OP the only language you need to know is Math - i am being serious

Dec 22, 15 7:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I was a boss at Visual Basic in the 90's.
Dec 22, 15 8:44 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins get a job. You have no clue what you're talking about. You only know autocad and how to program a 30+ year old computer.
Dec 22, 15 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Spoons

Rick,

You do not have the slightest clue what you are talking about.  Revit API for school work? Ha. 

Stung,

You should know grasshopper, and at least non visual-programming language.  If you understand one sufficiently you'll be able to move around to which ever one you need.  Understanding the conceptual underpinnings to programming is more important than specific syntax.

Learning Javascript and Python will serve you well, both are used in a variety of industries and programs.  

Dec 22, 15 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Spoon,

Yeah. If that is what the course program and the actual degree program. 

Dec 22, 15 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

That's not even a sentence Rick.  To which "actual degree program" does your advice pertain? Tomahawks pretty much covered all schools currently offering any real focus on computation, and Revit has little relevance in any of those.

Dec 22, 15 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf,

I never said Rhinoscript or Grasshopper were "programming languages". I said, other suggested languages.

Technically mathematics in an applied instructive form is a language used in computing as a mathematical language. In case of Grasshopper, Algorithm implies a language of sorts. Computer languages don't have to be textual. It can be graphical as well. It falls into a distinct category of computer languages from programming languages and scripting languages.

Rhinoscript is a VBScript-based scripting language/tool that is configured for Rhinoceros.

VBScript itself is a general purpose scripting language that is interpreter based. It's capabilities can fully entail the capacity of traditional PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES like BASIC including QBASIC, Visual Basic, etc. 

Dec 22, 15 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Balkins, STFU

When was the last time you wrote a fucking line of code for architecture?

Yeah.

Thanks.

Oh yeah and that "print("hello rem!")" you just typed up does not count.

Dec 22, 15 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

When is the last time you wrote an actual a commercial stand-alone software?

Yeah.

Thanks.

Just because you are a script kiddie doesn't make you capable of programming Autocad or Revit itself or your own complete custom designed BIM app. I have no interest in all that scripting crap for building design because for fucking god sake, no one is interested in blobitecture / nurbulous designs for houses and light commercial. It raises the cost of construction over the budget. 3d printing won't cut it. You have to run components and assemblies through ASTM testings for structural testing and other testings to various standards for other kinds of testings.

In order to assure the materials, components, and assemblies do in fact perform according to life, health, safety standards as well as the engineering standards. Add to that, you would have to have metallurgical/material engineers, structural engineers, etc.

All of this will add cost to the project total. Sorry, clients aren't going to be convinced to spend a million dollars in R&D for their home which they are planning to spend maybe $1 Million total if not less.

As for energy analysis coding, why would I need to write this stuff for building design. I'm not investing my software development business work into architectural/building design work because what's the return on investment for it. In software development work, that kind of work are financed by investment (either traditional VC/Investor models of funding or crowdfunding). Architecture is not one of those areas that you'll find VCs/investors clamoring to invest in.

To answer your statement, 

I'm currently working on a project in Unity that would or could be applied to architecture in nature. Part of the work being applied is for gaming. An adaption of the same work is intended for architecture in nature but I can't simply use the conventional Autocad or BIM rendering engine because it takes too much time in the rendering process for augmented reality. A real time rendering engine is needed. Unity does that.

Dec 22, 15 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
stungbyscorpion

Thank you all.

When you some of you guys say Math, what level of Math are you talking about?

Dec 22, 15 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

Rick you're doing it again: using another thread to talk about your own projects and background. 
Imagine you were looking for advice about preparing for medical school - wouldn't you want advice from medical students, and med school graduates? Now imagine what you get instead are responses from somebody with no experience in that subject whatsoever, who feels qualified to answer because they completed a community college ultrasound technician certificate several years ago and has read a lot of peripherally related wikipedia entries, and who gives you answers about preparing for med school that are just guesses because he has no actual first hand knowledge of any actual med schools, and who mostly wants to turn the thread into a platform to talk about himself.  You come across as a naive, ill-informed, attention-seeking child.

Dec 22, 15 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

You're talking about a ton of shit you know nothing about.

My clients have paid for a ton of R&D work on proprietary applications (my python script collection). They're all happy as a fuck that after 25-40 billable hours spent on that, I can provide them with answers within 3-4 hours whereas other architects/consultants would take a week and 20 billable hours to turn around the work.

Balkins, you're a moron.

Dec 22, 15 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

stung - basic geometry for 2D and 3D is a start.  I learned on Pov-Ray back in the day and that skill set came in handy later in Rhino scripting days, I've for the most part become an architect since....on the other thread that RickB didn't jack already, what Null said is very important.

understanding of basic formulas over time.  For...Next...loop kind of action

for example

take something simple like Hooke's Law then translate it into language you're using...was trying to link you something but my web guy made that impossible, ha...anyway was like 10 year old shit...

Dec 22, 15 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

stung, almost 10 years ago someone from Columbia University had really good schoolwork up on Archinect doing scripting to 3D.  I shot them an email and they said they used MS-Excel.

Excel is good if you like the world of Stephen Wolfram and Cellular Automata, and real basic stuff, like sticks and stone understanding of formulas on top of formulas using data.

I realize things like Grasshopper, etc...have streamlined the process much but it's always good to start with the basics.

Generative Components     way I learned it (beta version) imagine one formula is contingent on the prior and each time you add a formula you further limit and provide parameters for functionality of the "script"

once you get this down, time can move forward and backward (in the computer).  Math usually goes in one direction, but that's the fun with variables in architecture.

Dec 22, 15 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

balkins- you're a liar.  flat out liar.  you're not building anything in unity.  you can't even type up a one page resume.  you copy/paste everything from everyone else.  you plagiarize other's work.  

you know nothing about Rhino.  you've never used grasshopper.  you know nothing about computation.  can you even name specific designers who do computational design?  can you tell us in your own words what computation in architecture even means?  also you've never used Revit.  you've never even used sketchup before.

you know autocad and how to use a theodolite.  that's it.  

Dec 22, 15 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

JBeaumont,

Architects like null pointer & Olaf are amateur programmers. Sure, they can cobble together a script to do something provided through whatever interface the application allows for scripting and whatever language that it used for it. They are not "professional computer programmers and software developers". 

I AM a software architect/engineer, software programmer, software developer, video game designer/developer. I had to some degree stepped out of it 10 years ago until the recession kind of pushed me back into it. 

Why I stepped out of software development to some degree, 10 years ago, was that 10 years ago, we had the dot com bubble crash and a lot of outsourcing of programming jobs to India and add to that commercial software development was difficult to do as a sole-proprietor software developer. Especially, video games. Now, there are tools that are reopening the market for indie-software development.

When I was going into building design/architecture, I can't be really running both businesses very easily as a sole-proprietor/practitioner in both. When you are sole-owner and the only one to do the work in both businesses, you can't be doing both so I was stepping out of one so I can work in the other. The recession had kind of pulled my back into the software field to supplement. A number of them are under NDA.

Add to that, there is the architectural licensing boards and their take on titles like software architect and software engineer.

As the owner & software architect/engineer of my software business, I have to be watchful and careful to not be really connecting such title in connection with the building design business. I keep the businesses functionally separate for a reason. Although it is a small concern but not one to totally ignore and disregard. 

Software development is more than just designing and planning software. The business model of software development is like combining the role of architect, engineer, builder (an analogy for the combination of programmers, graphic artists, etc.) and developer. To have an idea of what it takes, it is essentially the combined effort of ALL these roles in one. That's what software development is like. 

Right now, my software development work is centered around castAR and similar augmented reality systems. Therefore, there is a bit of planning involved. For example: how do you control the output of UI and 3d virtual world space? You have certain content you would want outputted to through the castAR glasses via the projectors to the RR sheets when you look at the sheets. On the other hand, there is certain things you may want outputted to the screen on a tablet or laptop or desktop. How do you plan the user interface and experience. UI/UX is one aspect of software development/game design. In applications, what do you need the software to do. What is it for? Applications development implies a form follows function logic. What do you need it to do? 

These are rhetorical questions. These are just some of the kinds of questions you need to well.... ask... yourself or whoever, so the planning can be performed before a single line of code is written. There is of course various project development approaches. When you are on your own, you're likely going to be using some variation or combinations of the following: waterfall model, prototyping, iterative, iterative & incremental, spiral, or RAD........ but not likely some approaches such as the Agile model as that is suited for teams which you don't have if you are on your own because without parallelization, you downright have to use some form of serialized approach. While it is possible the multi-thread the process and task switch but when we do that, it makes progress for any single thread of tasks take longer.... especially on a large project. 

Most independent amateurs use a code & fix aka cowboy coding model. 

Although, I ration that architects entering software development would likely find the code & fix (cowboy coding) model distasteful to their architect training which applies a similar approach to waterfall or some of the other processes mentioned. Architects are taught to use some form of formal planning before designing. Thinking before penciling. This is not always the case.

When you're writing some script to automate something, we are talking about what is customarily small stuff compared to complete stand-alone software or video games. The reason I don't get into alot of the small plug in stuff is people don't really pay or at all for it. It's not meant to be commercialized and consumers don't want to pay more on top of paying for the base stand-alone program. When I tried this in the past, that was the results I was getting. 

It is this stuff that from a developer stand-point, what gain do I get for investing my time. What is my ROI for doing that.

Since the OP is taking classes in "architectural computing", my opinion is when it comes to classes and the software tools they are using in their curriculum, they determine in the curriculum what programming languages they want students to be learning. It will correlate to the tools they are teaching in the curriculum. When you depart from the planned curriculum, the instructors/professors are likely going to get frustrated. If they are being more flexible, then you would be expected to choose from the languages that they can assist you with because the choice of languages and what the instructional staff knows tends to correlate a bit. That's academia for you. Otherwise, you will need to find someone or some other source for instruction. 

REGARDLESS of any computer language, there is an underlying fundamental concepts of computer logic processing that all personal computers function under. That is the same for the Univac mainframe and PDP-8 minicomputers as it for the Tianhe-2 supercomputer. The computer science principle is the same for current generation of Intel i7 as it was for intel 4004 microprocessor. The underlying science of computer logic is the same even through microprocessors have got more and more sophisticated with its ability to do more complex operations within a single machine language level software instruction by additions of advances forms or ALUs in their evolved form such as integrated math co-processors / FPUs, etc. If you get down to the bare metal, it's all logic states that makes all the black magic of computing happen. 

For what it is worth, the underlying computer science principle if you know it and then learn any programming language enough, you can create any computer program, script, or whatever you want the computer to do within reason. If I really wanted to with enough time, I can program a sequence of programming or scripting commands, I can make one, two or more 3d models of a building modeled in AutoCAD do the tango.

To what point?

Dec 22, 15 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

This is just sad Richard.  CastAR is just a Kickstarter scam - 2+ years of empty promises, slipped deadlines, pseudo-secrecy trying to legitimize an absolute lack of progress, nothing to show for it. It figures that you'd be sucked in by that sort of operation, as it's pretty much the way you live too - but don't try to use imaginary software development for an imaginary technology as any sort of evidence of your fitness to give advice on anything.

Dec 22, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

nullpointer,

Write a video game by January 31, 2016 . You have to create the graphics. You have to write the programming code for it.

I'm not going to expect you to create music or sound. You might borrow some sound effects and music files from somewhere.

Lets see what you can do.

Dec 22, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

JBeaumont, 

You too, make a video game. Same deadline.

You claim castAR is a scam. We'll see !!!! I know the hardware developer of castAR, Jeri Ellsworth. 

I'm in the competition too!

Deadline: January 31 by 11:59pm with a grace period of 24 hours. 

Dec 22, 15 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Why? Games solve nothing. I'm not a fucking software developer, I'm an architect with enough programming chops to undercut the competition. 

Translation: Busy making money. But how about you try making a game? You're certainly not busy, and you clearly aren't making money.

Dec 22, 15 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

Read what I said above to JBeaumont. In a month's time, as a single individual, I wouldn't expect it to be AAA level but something.

Dec 22, 15 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Computing in architecture is alot like this thread. Those who get out of school and actually use it are generally not compelled to yell from the rooftops about it. Those who are stuck in academia or outside the profession looking in will call it the next revolution.

The truth is closer to the former.

As previous posters said, learn Python and Javascript. If you are feeling ambitious, learn one C language. 

I came to it only ever having used Mathematica for some math classes in High School... fairly easy to pick up the stuff you need if you have some sort of foundation.

Dec 22, 15 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Now you are an engineer too I addition to an attorney. Get the fuck out. You have some serious issues!

Dec 22, 15 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

RickyB get the fuck off this thread you know shit, you have no experience in any of this and I assume you have never touched any programs in the architectural field.

PS: Fuck off with your "knowledge"

Dec 22, 15 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

OP - Matlab and Mathematica are also quute good for a little heavuer duty sticks and stones kind of math (cracked copies always floating around in academia).....and of course Stephen Wolfram who i think got a phd in physics at 16 is Mathematica. the only difference between RickiB and Wolfram, is Ricki lives in his parents basement.......i would use UnReal to develop a game, but i am off busy avoiding work on archinect.........pretty sure what Null does is not Amateur, matter fact its professional, no?...i bet rickiB thinks David Rutten is an amatuer programmer?!?...............rick what disappointed me in your C64 list of software you didnt name one popular game that even the most rebellious basement hacker was familiar with, googling real experiences is hard isnt it?..........anyway cloudganger app probto, my jan 1 2016 Balkins. thanks

Dec 22, 15 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, yeah, I am GOD, too! (sarcasm)

Because, I don't need 10 years to learn things that can be learned in a single day like you slow turds that think at the speed of frozen molasses.

You don't need a law degree and a law license to read the architectural licensing laws. It is what it says. When someone says something totally the opposite of what the law says that any reasonable person can infer from the statutory definition and even dictionary definition of words, they are flat out wrong. 

Every software that is thought out and planned systematically and therefore has a software architecture and the title of the role of planning software architecture is called a software architect. The deeper nitty gritty application of computer science of the components is called software engineering. The software architect role is the role of taking the components of software and bringing it together into a system with a plan and layout. Software engineering is the focus of the component level of software or software system. It's the shift from a holistic macroscopic view to the more microscopic perspective. Just as engineers of multiple disciplines in buildings, you have multiple disciplines within software. The software architect role brings the different disciplines of software together in a coordinated fashion.

As a software developer and programmer and software architect & software engineer, I carried the role and functionality of these roles with every software project from small projects to larger more sophisticated projects.

Software architecture and software engineering are inextricably linked and essentially part of one occupation. The software architect role evolves from the foundation of software engineering and it is most distinguished by the focus and spectrum of duties and task. These titles or roles as they are, are what they are labels. They label a person's role and responsibilities in a multi-person team like you see in corporations. In a one person business, these titles are just labels to the roles and responsibilities. Which means, every title in a software business is my title in one person business. Unless someone else does something that I am not doing myself. 

When you are an independent software developer that is a sole-practitioner with no employees (or anyone under contract to perform any part of the work), you, the owner, are all the roles and has ALL the responsibilities. You wear all the hats. There is no delegation of tasks to other people. You do EVERYTHING yourself.

These roles or titles comes out of corporate culture of giving titles to roles that are divided from a one person that does all tasks into a delegated form where you divest the tasks to other people with defined role and responsibilities. When you have employees, like a typical software corporation with dozen or hundreds or thousands of employees, that is what you do. When you are just ONE person business then as ONE person you do everything.

As said, ALL these roles are my responsibility. I don't have employees. My only choice is: Do the work myself. Plain simple as that.

Dec 22, 15 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yeah yeah....

Dec 22, 15 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

archiwutm8.... *PLONK*

Olaf,

David Rutten didn't create Grasshopper in Grasshopper. He had to learn to become a professional programmer to create Grasshopper. Grasshopper is a tad more than what I mean by the kind of mini-programs or scripts that you write. Grasshopper is somewhat a stand-alone program much like Kerkythea. It's design to interoperate but it is more stand-alone.

For most architects, you couldn't create anything that sophisticated or able to really operate as a stand-alone program. That's because anything with sophistication would be overwhelming for you guys when it comes to software development / programming.

This is because you don't have the depth of understanding computer science as a software developer would. That would take more time then you want to invest in. It isn't that architects can't learn to be software developers. It is that architects don't have the will or desire to. Learning to be an architect of buildings is enough for most people in this profession. Add to that, a vast majority of the people who apply and enter architecture school are not complex math wiz. They aren't into advance calculus. They choose architecture because it doesn't have a high math requirement (in quite a few architecture programs) compared to some of the other degrees like engineering. 

Dec 22, 15 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

balkins I taught myself Commodore programming at 10 (except Assembly Language, we've been over that) and yes at 10 I did not have the depth...then sometime at 14 I think it was DOS, QBasic and all that mumbo jumbo, Doom was a fun WAD file hack, then i met this guy, could be like your uncle, started talking about how hard COBOL was, he said I knew nothing, at 14 I laughed and went back to playing football...COBOL?!?

could I do it out now, sure why not, but I'm an architect and make a good living having a good time.

So i don't know what your point is? I am pretty sure if a few of us cared about being software developers we could do it no problem.

in case you don't watch TV, my above post is referring to this guy

you can't lift the hammer can you ricki-B, but you'll change the world!

Dec 22, 15 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

Rick you've already admitted that you've never made even $5000 in any year, from all of your "businesses" combined.  You're a chronic failure, so why would anybody take your advice on anything?

And why would anyone accept your challenges, when you never complete anything you've been challenged to?  Where's your resume? Where is an architectural critique in your own words?

As for Jeri Ellsworth: she has a spotty track record on delivering on promises, and a history of dissolved teams and lost jobs due to abrasiveness and undependability.  Not exactly someone I'd brag about being associated with - and If I were you I'd pursue a refund on kickstarter before that well is dry.

Dec 22, 15 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

I never said that. You took a response I made out of context. I never said what I made from my software work from the 1980s and 90s.  I never responded to that question with all businesses combined over the entire history. That maybe more or less with the building design business given the horrible recession. As far as software since re-engaging in the software, the capital revenue doesn't start rolling in until I either crowdfund in some form, or until a product is released. It's like writing a book. You don't make money on the book you are writing until you publish the book. That's the 'sweat equity' that you invest prior to releasing it to people to fund or purchase.

As for resume, I am not presenting that to you guys due to your ill intent as well as others.

Regarding Jeri Ellsworth:

What is your basis on your comment about Jeri Ellsworth?

Dec 22, 15 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Rick you're a liar and you don't know wtf you are talking about. You are a liar who hasn't done shit. Show us something you've done. You never have. You're a liar with no skills or abilities or experience. You're a total fraud and a phony.
Dec 22, 15 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

Rick, you fill your posts with unrelated bullshit.  You know nothing of architectural education, or how these programs are used in school or professionally.    You have nothing to contribute to this topic, and your advice is not necessary, wanted or warranted.  

Dec 22, 15 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

OP - The work of Aranda/Lasch is worth looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/Pamphlet-Architecture-27-Benjamin-Aranda/dp/1568985479

Archinect has a feature on them - http://archinect.com/features/article/141844613/procedural-geometry-an-interview-with-aranda-lasch

Dec 22, 15 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

spoons,

As for architectural education, JUST GO TO THE COLLEGE / UNIVERSITY WEBSITE of a particular program, read the course description and where possible the syllabus of their programs. It should spell it out for you. Oh wait, I don't need to attend an architecture school to get the course syllabus. Most of them put them online for anyone to view around the world.

BTW: What the hell are you going to need to be a programmer to design a building?

What do you want to do, play Turtle all day?

Dec 22, 15 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Rick even you have alluded that you yourself realize that your credentials in the field of programming are dubious at best.  For example you wrote this: You don't get a degree in Microcomputer Programming and Networking from a "real" existing college that is "accredited" and not know any programming.  Your use of quotation marks around "real" and "accredited" are tacit admissions that you recognize that your community college qualifications lack legitimacy, and that your degree probably didn't result in a competent knowledge of programming.  So why can't you just stay out of threads that you don't understand?  

Dec 22, 15 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Logo?  I loved that in 2nd grade. OP worth checking out;)

Rick, You seriously are clueless.

Beta, where is the animal porn?

google - how to be "real"? human (anti-bot)

Dec 22, 15 10:16 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

I used the quotes to emphasize the words. Perhaps, I should have used bold instead. First Clatsop Community College is a real college. It is an accredited college as well.

I had been programming software for a long time before I attended the college. I actually didn't need to take the degree in the first place. It is what it is. It really means nothing much in the tech industry because it is your experience that matters not the degree. 

Architectural computing or computational design as it maybe called these days, I understand they are using computer algorithms to compute structural forms like honeycombed wavy nurb forms and other complex parametric calculations.

Yet, have you asked yourselves, are the clients asking for or demanding such design? Is this what the client wants? Is this about your own crazy ideas or is it about solving a real solution.

I am not sure what the point is but when it comes to academia, what languages you should learn is kind of depend on the program your in and read the syllabi for the courses because you really don't get a lot of choice over the course offering. You get what they offer to choose from.

I have occassionally found a few uses for programming in the past for building design but not often because there already is an array of programs out there for doing that. If I am going to spend time writing a program for building design use or otherwise, it has to be something that there isn't an adequate or existing solution for.

What is the point of all this computational design in architecture?

Dec 22, 15 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf,

okay okay.... yeah, I used Turtle / Logo a long time ago. It was interesting. However, I'm just curious what is the point of computational design in architecture? 

I'll be fair, I maybe over criticizing it but how are you using it in architecture in built architecture like residential and light commercial? 

On the C64, I had a variant of it on a cartridge called Turtle Graphics II. It combined features of LOGO an PILOT.

Dec 22, 15 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins, can you seriously just stop. You're a total fucking idiot. Just stop already.
Dec 22, 15 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

While I rather have a little shred of civility between me and Olaf and a few others, you just don't help any. I have nothing more civil to say to you so just don't reply to my post.  I have nothing nice or civil to say to you. 

I did enjoy using Logo so I can see how Logo may have in some way influenced  Olaf's interest in computational design.

I have a fair question for him so how does he use computational design in architecture especially in designs of residential and light commercial?

Dec 22, 15 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Fuck you Balkins.

I'd take your questions seriously if you weren't a complete liar. But really you are a lazy narcissistic ass who does nothing and has no motivation to do anything. And there is an over abundance of evidence across the entire internet to prove it.
Dec 22, 15 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

My question wasn't directed at you in the first place. I'll put together my software projects. I don't need your approval. 

Despite my dispute with a number of individuals here on this forum, I can care less about your opinion. My issue with some of the individuals here are between me and them so stay out of it.

I'm not going to reply to you anymore. I've replied to you enough. Unless you use a real name, I won't reply to your posts. 

Oh yeah, do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

PS: Please clean your mouth or butthole (whatever it is) with some soap. 

Dec 22, 15 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

The original poster was looking for advice, advice I am qualified to give as I went to one of the schools mentioned in one of the first posts, having programmed/scripted both in school and professionally. Your advice is based on a cursory reading of half a page of some 3 year old syllabus you dragged up on some website, mine is based on nearly a decades worth of experience doing the kind of work the OP is asking about.  You simply have no experience and no standing to discuss this issue.  Why do you feel the need to butt into topics of which you have no understanding?  

Dec 23, 15 12:32 am  · 
 · 
stungbyscorpion

Thank you everybody. I didn't expect so many suggestions and discussions to pour in.

I am good with logic, have intermediate experience with rhino, really basic or no knowledge of grasshopper and I know math what they taught me in school. Hence my question about Math and about programming languages.

I have already tried to see the university websites and the course/module specific webpages and they just give a rough idea of what the module is for and never talk about which softwares or programming languages they will teach.

RickB-ORPlease keep your posts short and you don't have to reply to each and every body's post, insult other people and turn everything into you trying to prove something or the other. I did try and see some of your other posts on other topics and everywhere it seems like you write an essay after every post which is not by you. In some places to seem to reply to your own post!I am going for masters after being in the industry for 5 years after my 5 year BArch education and I don't need people like you trying to discuss where architecture education has failed and how one can use computational design in residential or light commercial or whatever. You seem to post here every two minutes, don't you have an office or your own practice to go to and show off how good you are at programming? I am taking the trouble to write to you being aware that I might get a 2500 word essay as a response from you, which I will not care to read.

Guys please keep your posts short and healthy so that future students can skim through and have a fair idea of what is important what is not and most importantly have something positive to take back from these posts.

Thank you all once again.

Dec 23, 15 12:40 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

Rick, quotation marks aren't used to emphasize words.  Putting words in quotation marks signifies that they're alleged or so-called and/or that you're using the words with deep sarcasm or cynicism. Thus when you write that you got an "accredited" degree from a "real" school, what you're implying is that you got a degree from something calling itself a school but lacking legitimacy, and that its accreditation is so-called but suspect.

Dec 23, 15 1:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: