Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Simplistic responses to complex problems, mainly.  It's too easy.

Jul 23, 16 10:30 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i believe in simple answers to complex problems.  to solve a problem, you first have to clearly define what the problem is.  if the problem is too big to be solved with a simplistic response, break it into manageable pieces.  eventually you get to simplistic responses.

this is, of course, not what the republicans are doing.  they are more like the costa rica guy looking for a checklist in the other thread.  he has not defined the problem he wants to solve.  if fact, it kind of sounds like there isn't a problem at all, just a solution in search of a problem.

Jul 23, 16 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
I use "simplistic" to mean overly simplified, easy, lazy solutions: a Muslim hurts someone? Ban all Muslims. That's a stupid, simplistic response. It's a lot harder to get to the complex interwoven roots of problems. When you do, you're far more likely to be able to find a simple aka elegant and functional solution. But the process is hard work.
Jul 23, 16 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
austin_tayshus

is it only those with an "R" whose easy, lazy solutions you despise?   or are you honest enough to recognize simplistic solutions coming from others?

Jul 23, 16 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Donna, Trump actually clarified that position in depth (yes he can do depth, haha) and essentially it means - we (USA) are not capable of vetting those who immigrate to our country who have Islamic backgrounds.

Religion is a choice, so as far as I'm concerned you sure as hell can deny someone anything because what they believe.  What's important to note here Donna, is that we are a very Liberal country, even the Republicans, Conservatives less so (they're more like traditional Muslims)....we're so liberal we'll let assholes into our country on the premise of freedom, the very freedom the assholes hate....

anyway, US only took 10,000 Syrians, Canada 3 times that, Germany 50, and Turkey took 2.5 million and offered them citizenship....then a failed coup....initially blaming a Muslim cleric exciled in what country? - the USA

so yeah it's complicated, but it's not complicated demanding better screening of a religion that is winning the asshole producing category lately.

Remember the Roman's called the Germanic Tribes  Barbarians and Trump calls these radical islamic guys Barbarians....

BUT that's cultural bullshit, and for the most part, besides National Defense and security irrelevant.

Here's one for the obvious Democractic liberal leaning people - what if Radical Islam killed as many people as Guns?  Should Radical Islam be banned as well?  It's an ideological weapon used very well by diabolical geniuses (the guys who don't martyr themselves).

so that was my anti-religion ramble.....

My Lenin Qute indicates, maybe only Trump knows why China is bad....they be destroying Capitalism, damn Commies  

The best way to destroy the capitalist system is to debauch the currency.

Vladimir Lenin

Not suggesting Trump is aware of what he is actually saying, but calling out countries that fuck with their currency to destroy US citizen's living standards, is actually genius.  I'm waiting for an economist to say otherwise.

I'd believe Lenin any day over an academic on economics.

Jul 23, 16 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

Olaf, have you ever known a Muslim personally?  They're not as scary as you might imagine.  I live in a city with hundreds of thousands of Muslim people, and they're just as peaceful as the Christians and the Atheists.

Also, do you sincerely believe that it's our freedom that the terrorists hate?  Do you think that they decided to go to war against us because we are too free?  We painted ourselves as a "great evil" to them with our actions in the 1980s and beyond, and now we have to deal with the trouble coming from that region. 

One thing you're right about, though, is that we can't let everybody into the US who wants to be here.  We should screen those entering the country, but not on the basis of religion.  

Jul 23, 16 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
Yes, austin, I can recognize simplistic solutions from all sides, which is when I default to the argument that waste can be ok: if we "waste" money on 19 kids getting free lunch who don't really need it but that means the one kid who *does* need it gets to eat, I'm ok with that. That's my Christian upbringing. I always default to the solution that helps the most people.
Jul 23, 16 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
And that example is based on a real situation, locally, that I can explain better when I'm not drunk.
Jul 23, 16 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

olaf, you said this:

we (USA) are not capable of vetting those who immigrate to our country who have Islamic backgrounds.

after i said this:

to solve a problem, you first have to clearly define what the problem is.

in the interest of showing that we can communicate as adults and all, let's be clear on the problem we're trying to solve.  if there is a problem with violence, do we address religion?  or do we address violence? 

i don't understand where you're coming from.  so, just to be clear, you believe we have a problem with religion in the usa?  and it's a problem with the monotheistic abrahamic religions right?  or some other group of religions?  seriously.  the problem has to be clearly defined before you start coming up with solutions.  if saying that "knowledge" is a sin when eve ate the apple, then we have to get rid of them all.  that's going to be hard to implement.

Jul 24, 16 1:20 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

if we "waste" money on 19 kids getting free lunch who don't really need it but that means the one kid who *does* need it gets to eat, I'm ok with that.

who cares if we waste money?  is that the only thing that's important to us?  it's not about money, it's never been about money.  the people who care about money, and value money, are asshats.  the vast majority of people who are just trying to live a decent life shouldn't give a shit about them.  live your life, and think about the value of money.  say you're raising kids or something. what value do you really get from paris hilton or a kardashion?  sure, they were born into money.  but they aren't worth anything.  to anyone.  ever.  at all.  focusing on money makes them completely useless and worthless just like most people who consider their value as somehow tied to wealth.

Jul 24, 16 1:29 am  · 
 · 

Olaf,

There is a Constitutional (supreme law) and federal laws regarding separation of religious and secular matters.

It is against the law for the U.S. to deny or otherwise make any decision on basis of religion. This includes immigration and immigration related decision. When we start issuing religious tests or barring people based on religion, then we are instituting a "State" (National) religion that everyone must follow. 

Do you want to be tested on whether or not your religious beliefs (which INCLUDES atheists and agnostics) do not comply with Donald Trump or who ever is the President. That's like making the religion of the King be the religion you must ascribe to. I thought that was one of the reasons we had this war of Independence in the first place.

In short, I believe you don't want to be conscripted to follow whatever religious beliefs of the President or whatever the politicians in D.C. says is acceptable or not. 

I do believe in improving national immigration inspection and background checks before people are brought into the country. Keep religious beliefs out of the reasons for denying a person. It's one thing to deny people immigrating to the U.S. if they are immigrating from countries with poor or inadequate record checking system in place. It is one thing to deny people associated with terrorist groups. 

International flights coming from countries that do not have a sufficient background checking procedures with forwarded background records of passengers on flights or other transportation means before flight arrives in the U.S. to undergo mandatory flight to immigration inspection / immigration-refugee camps/quarantine station before they are authorized to general release into the public. We had these systems before and the concept is legitimate. We would have to treat them humanely. If someone is found to be associated with terrorist groups then we do have a number of options which includes arresting them if they have sufficient involvement with acts of terrorism. We could send them back if they have no documented involvement aside from just being a member of such a group.

I don't think we should deny an immigrant into the U.S. because their religion is Islam. I know for a fact that not every believer in Islam is a terrorist out to kill us.

The government itself should not conduct tests on religious beliefs. That is something that is in the domain of religious institutions. If the Islam faith wishes to tests those who ascribe to the Islam faith then let them. 

The government should make decisions based on non-religious based reasons. Donald Trump wants to deny people from these middle-eastern countries based on their religion by banning those who ascribe to the Islam faith. 

I don't believe that is the right thing to do because the precedence that will lead this country down. 

History lessons would teach us that human civilizations always goes through cycles of extremes and it is during these cycles the kingdoms, nations, etc. falls major geopolitical states restructure. Look at Europe. Look at Africa. What I am concern with Donald Trump is that he would spark a fracturing of this country. We would see the breaking of the union of the United States. I see him sparking a major geopolitical unrest in the United States and North America which we have not seen in a long time aside from around the world.

Donald Trump is a Khrushchev, Stalin, Hitler, old-world dictator type. His moral compass is F.B.R. (F--KED BEYOND REPAIR).

He's the kind of person if elected President would cause many U.S. citizens to emigrate. 

In geographic studies, the Donald Trump is a push factor.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/push-factor

Short definition but good enough to get at the essence. In geography studies, we tend to have more comprehensive definitions that we study but that definition at the link is sufficient and gets at the point.

Donald Trump's divisive conduct that causes unrest, social divisions, up-rise of racial crimes, etc. He would cause people who have had long standing life long living in the U.S. considering emigrating from the U.S. to some other country. It is easy and quick to wound the unitedness of our country. It is slow to heal the wounds made and restore unity.

When the Presidency to the leadership of this country turns into the most surreal "Reality TV" show we have ever seen, it is scary to what has become of this country and how weak we are if we elect people like Donald Trump who turns the Presidential campaign, which suppose to be like a job interview to the people of the United States, into such a unbelievably horrifying "Reality TV" show. 

We need a leader as the President that takes the job seriously and responsibly.

The Presidential campaign is essentially a job interview. In my opinion, Donald Trump doesn't know how to do a job interview because he never had a job or applied for a job in his entire damn trust funded silver spoon fed life let alone be interviewed for a job.

I wouldn't hire him.

Jul 24, 16 3:22 am  · 
 · 

Dear Mr. Donald Trump,

Thank You for meeting with us regarding the opportunity of working for us by applying for the position of President. We were fortunate to have interviewed a number of applicants with strong backgrounds such as yours, making our selection process difficult.

Be assured, that your resume has received our full attention. While your background is interesting, unfortunately we are unable to offer you this position at this time.

We would like to again thank you for your interest in working for us and wish you continued success in pursuit of your career objectives. 

Yours truly,

Citizens of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Jul 24, 16 3:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Tough question below:

Who's mrore qualified for the US presidency? Rick Balkins or Donald Trump?

Show your work too.

Jul 24, 16 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Well one will make excuses why nothing has been done in his 4 years, and the other could very well bring back internment camps.
Jul 24, 16 11:49 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Trump is a developer. We all know what kind of people are developers.
Jul 24, 16 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
austin_tayshus

among other things, the kind of people who hire architects?

Jul 24, 16 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

I guess my 22-year streak without getting into a car accident was bound to end sooner or later. After a nice drive up in the mountains near Stevens Pass, I was coming down the highway at about 60 MPH when a huge deer jumped into the road literally about ten feet in front of me. I had no time to react and hit the deer at full speed, my airbag deployed, and (I was told later by the highway patrol) the deer's carcass was sent airborne about 100 feet down the highway. 

The big Cadillac Escalade that had been following me then immediately crashed into me, sending both cars across the eastbound lane and into the ditch. No serious injuries, but I spent a few hours in the ER at the hospital in Monroe last night getting evaluated. I'm still incredibly sore and stiff today, and I'm guessing that will last a couple weeks.

The elderly couple in the Escalade were also taken to the hospital with minor injuries. Both cars appeared to have been total losses, and I ended up having to take an incredibly expensive Uber ride back to Seattle. (Fortunately I had damage waiver coverage for the Zipcar I was driving, so I'm off the hook for that. The Subaru definitely lived up to its reputation for crash safety.) 

I'm just glad I was able to walk (or at least stagger) away from it. I felt a bit like Bruce Willis staggering away from his wrecked car in Pulp Fiction, after running over Marcellus Wallace.

Aside from that, natural scenery along the drive was incredible. I still can't imagine moving back to a place where I don't have easy access to that.

Jul 24, 16 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

David Cole,

I'm glad everyone's alright. That's most important. 

Jul 24, 16 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Holy Poop, I hope you're okay David! Areas with wild life should have high fencing barriers, we've started to add them to parts with high wildlife here in London, UK.

Poor deer, did you eat it?

Jul 24, 16 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think it would fit in my freezer.

Jul 24, 16 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

archiwutm8,

I don't think Washington's Department of Wildlife would let him keep the animal. If the animal is even salvageable in terms of meat, it will probably be packaged up and donated to food bank or some thing like it.

As for the roads, this is a road out in the country and sometimes, people will drive a little below the speed limit. In any case, it is easily possible for animals to come across the road with very little notice. This is not an uncommon case but not necessarily something that is guarantee to happen to David on a regular basis. It's really an unfortunate timing of when the animal came across the road. The fortunate thing is no one (aside from the deer or elk) was killed or severely injured. It is a risk on these roads.

I know some of the roads like this one does not give a lot of depth to the foliage. In some cases, it is not functionally practical to put high fencing barrier. Some of these roads or sections of these roads are cut into hill slopes on precarious geology. (slide prone)

The fortunate thing is everyone is okay and not severely injured or killed as that is a real possibility on the roads. While I am not personally familiar with Steven's Pass itself, I am familiar with similar roads with such road conditions. My guess is he was on U.S. Highway 2 (Steven's Pass Highway). In any case, from what I can tell, there is hillside embankments often on both sides of the roads and I don't think it is a simple solution to necessarily install high fences.

If it were, I'd be pretty certain that there would be more of these high fences installed.

Jul 24, 16 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

calm down Schoon not only do i know muslims i work with many and i have traveled the countries most infested with that religion. in short, islam, scientology, hardcore christian evanglists - its all the same bullshit. its just the radicals of on one of these fairy tales finds killing to be highly religious.....curtkram - i am coming from this vantage point - the violence is structural, it is inherant in the religions - the Crusades for example. i realize its anti-american to deny or limit an idology but at some point the stupidity (religion) has to stop.....rick i didnt bother reading your shit........David that looks serious, glad you are good. praise nature and fate.

Jul 24, 16 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i will not apologize for offending religious people. your choice, your problem. eat lots of twinkies and bacon and die of a heart attack - your problem - you made that choice.

Jul 24, 16 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

See, David. Nature is dangerous. You may enjoy looking at how pretty it is, but never forget it wants to kill you.

(I'm really glad you're not only alive but able to walk away from that!! Yay Subaru.)

curtkram what I'm saying above is that we need to STOP thinking about things only in economic terms. So we "waste" some money making sure that everyone has enough to eat, is that "wasteful"? No. But if you're only looking at society as a profit and loss sheet, it will look like it is.

Jul 24, 16 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

^-- ya, i was drinking too donna.  not sure what i was going on about.

glad everyone is ok david.  get well soon.

Jul 24, 16 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Jesus Christ, leave it to Balkins to figure out a way to mansplain roadkill.

I was never any illusions that nature is safe. Given all the deer I had close encounters with along rural highways outside of Cincinnati, I'm actually surprised that something like this hasn't happened a lot sooner. NYC was trying to kill me too; it was just happening a lot more slowly.

Jul 24, 16 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
Deer collisions are no fun at all. Luckily mine just involved a busted headlight (happened on 128 outside of Miamitown back when I lived in Cincinnati). Now the wildlife I worry about is rats. Those assholes get big here in Chicago. I'm sure there is a mansplaining to follow from someone who has never set foot in Chicago.

Glad you are ok David, and hope you are able to get a few days rest before getting back to the grind.
Jul 24, 16 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, I'm playing things by ear. Unfortunately I have a big permit set going out at the end of the week. :-/

Jul 24, 16 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

mansplain?

I don't know the gender of archiwutm8. Therefore, I don't think the word choice 'mansplaining' is appropriate in that context.

Jul 25, 16 12:38 am  · 
 · 
I thought I heard something, but maybe I'm just imagining things.

Anyway, small rant. I have to drive in rush hour tomorrow for a meeting with a far northwest suburban village board at 6:30 in the evening. Last time I went, it started snowing and took 3 hrs to get home. At least that won't happen this time. Long day ahead tomorrow.
Jul 25, 16 12:50 am  · 
 · 

Glad to hear you are safe, David. Hope everyone else had a better weekend!

Night TC

Jul 25, 16 1:50 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Rick, do you not understand the premises of a joke or sarcasm?

Jul 25, 16 5:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Oye Davod. Glad you made it out on one piece. There are lots of roads in my area with high speed limits and plenty of seers. It finally took one deer to jump out at me at 4am while I was barely able to keep my eyes open to finally decide to limit the long studio evenings.
Jul 25, 16 6:45 am  · 
 · 

archiwutm8,

Don't use jokes or sarcasm in a text based medium unless you follow internet standards for conveying emotions and other internet textual short hand.

If you are joking and being sarcastic then indicate it. There is no hearing your voice or seeing your facial expression or other body language. This is black and white text so I treat the statements always as a serious statement not a "ha ha" fooling around kind of message.

Don't quit your day job, you're not the next rising star of comedy.

Jul 25, 16 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

internet standards?

peeellllease.

Jul 25, 16 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I can't tell David and Josh apart

Jul 25, 16 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

I drove my Miata around the Speedway track today.  Say whatever you will about how boring Indy is, the Speedway is honestly an amazing human project.

Jul 25, 16 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Were there more people in the stands than there were yesterday Donna?
Jul 25, 16 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"If you are joking and being sarcastic then indicate it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nRzh4CJTZs&t=7s

Jul 25, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

N.S.,

http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

http://www.internetslang.com/

This is a general list and not completely comprehensive. They are standard because they are widely adopted and used short-hand conventions. Many of them going back to pre-internet era and was carried over into the internet when earlier commercial computer networks like compuserve, AOL (Quantum Link), Delphi and other networks hooked up to the internet and became our early ISPs. 

Jul 25, 16 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can pick up sarcasm in text format without emojis and internet standards.

Thank you so much for the information Sir Richard Balkins of Astoria, Knight of the Professional Building Designers, Earl of the Non-Code Compliant Astoria Theater.

See? Easy!

Jul 25, 16 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

#roosforlife Josh, #roosforlife

Jul 25, 16 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Beginning henceforth, and forever after, we shall all endeavor to explicate our comically-, and sarcastically-intended postings on the internets for the benefit of all humankind. Long, live the King!

*The above post is using superfluous text in a style reminiscent of royal proclamations (and playing off of Josh's post) as a means of sarcasm to indicate the ridiculousness of such a proclamation which itself is showing the stupidity of Sir Balkins comment, "If you are joking and being sarcastic then indicate it."  Also, I used the plural form of the word internet, which almost always means I'm not being completely serious.

**The above explication is an attempt to show the ridiculousness of actually explicating internet comments.

***The above explication of the explication is also drawing attention to the ridiculousness of the explication by explicating the explication ... as does this explication of the above explication.

Jul 25, 16 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

i'm thinking of starting a petition to the state of oregon to grant balkins a license to practice architecture in Clatsop County and any future annexed territories of said county.  

(my face is not grinning, winking, or acknowledging otherwise the absurdity of my statement.  balkins, we call this deadpan humor).  

Jul 25, 16 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna,

I had a very interesting conversation with  a guy who restores  furniture the other day and you post about a trip around the track.   He was headed up to Lime Rock our local Historic Racing Track this past weekend.  He was telling me how great it was as this past weekend they were going to be running  LeMans Racing Cars.  It peaked my interest so I went to see about getting tickets and the whole weekend was sold out....So I guess I have to put that on my Local Bucket List for next year.

Jul 25, 16 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
You TCers always make me smile.
Jul 25, 16 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Donna, that;s awesome. Mind showing us some photos of your miata? Unfortunately my plans fell through, I have to get a new car to replace my current one after a accident recently and the huge depreciating value... Miata one day.

Ricky B - I could actually quit my day job and get another, HOWEVER for you maybe start looking for a job?

Jul 25, 16 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Rick, your rant on roadkill isn't even correct.  In Washington, in all but 3 counties, it is legal to keep a deer or elk that you kill in a motor vehicle accident - you just have to take the whole thing (leave no guts behind), and you have to retroactively obtain a salvage permit within 24 hours.  I'm not kidding, there's no sarcasm intended, this is a fact.  That's why there are no emojis.

And I agree with archiwut.  This week you're "looking at" accessory dwellings.  Your website has said "stock plans coming soon" for years.  Last week you were "looking at" practicing in Sweden.  Before that you were "looking at" partnering with a local architect.  Before that you were "looking at" designing buildings in American Samoa.  When do you stop looking and start doing something?  Wouldn't it feel amazing to have some actual experience, and be able to post with real first hand knowledge?  

Jul 25, 16 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: