Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Ok, FormerlyUnknown,

Thank You. In David's case, he has no vehicle at the time to take the animal so in turn he wouldn't be allowed to keep it because he had no means to fulfill those conditions. It's just something I didn't bother going through their pain in the ass website for that information but again thanks for that info.

No_form,

dead pan humor expression would be: :-|      ....(no expression).

Jul 25, 16 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.vox.com/2016/7/19/12199658/cougars-car-crashes-deer

How is Washington's cougar population doing?
Jul 25, 16 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Deer are "deadlier than predators like the North American grizzly, great white sharks, and all venomous snakes combined."
Jul 25, 16 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

^ Not surprising at all. One of the big reasons I moved to the Pacific Northwest was so I could explore the incredible natural beauty out here, and part of me is always a little paranoid about encountering a bear somewhere back on the trails. The reality, though, is that there have only been four bear-related fatalities in Washington state since they began keeping records in the 1920, and I'm far more likely to hit a deer on the way to or from the trailhead. It also could've just as easily happened during a trip to Target to pick up cat litter, either here in the PNW or back home near Cincinnati.

Jul 25, 16 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Of course dear are deadlier than the predators mentioned. They've have revenge on their mind since Bambi.
Jul 26, 16 12:26 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

On the topic of animals, I'd love to one day work on a safari or some type of animal/nature project. One day for sure, before I joined my last firm they worked on the Osaka aquarium I believe.

Jul 26, 16 3:39 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Man David, you're lucky, a different section of that pass and it could've been a different story.  Glad you're OK!  Early on after getting my license, I was told to be extra vigilant for deer during the twilight hours at sunrise and sunset, that's when then deer come out for blood.

Jul 26, 16 10:42 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

did you just reply to your own post?  yeah architects is quite self-referential.  very meta.

Jul 26, 16 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yeah!

Jul 26, 16 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Manuel, If you're going to spam your own, at least do anonymously. 

BTW, your website looks like shit.

Jul 26, 16 11:11 am  · 
 · 

I used to sing inappropriate songs to Angus while I rocked him when he was a baby, including Sad Songs and Waltzes by Cake (a cover of a Willie Nelson original) and End of the Movie, also by Cake, and Crave by Ike Reilly.

Non Seq, you could sing this one to the babe. Cracker doing Almond Grove acoustic - it's beautiful.

Jul 26, 16 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I saw a baby bobcat on Sunday in the Cascade foothills!! Lil guy ran across the road about 30 feet in front of our car. Amazing!

And David, this actually happened in May while hiking in Olympic Nat'l Park:

*we round a corner into a clearing*

Girlfriend: "Oh fuck!
Me: [grab her] "Fuck!"
GF: What? I just realized I forgot to bring that driftwood I found at the campsite."
Me: "No, the bear!" [points to black bear 20 feet away]
GF: "What there's no... OH FUCK"

Bear had turned and scrambled up the hill by then, but if she hadn't coincidentally thought of driftwood, we may have walked into - literally into - a bear.

Jul 26, 16 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks Donna. I'll check it out tonight.

Jul 26, 16 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
proto

just realized i've been intimate with autocad for over 20yrs

i feel dirty

Jul 26, 16 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

There was a recent case where some park ranger in Montana was riding a mountain bike down a trail near his home, came around a blind corner, and ran right into a grizzly bear which promptly mauled him to death. Scary shit.

Jul 26, 16 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Scary, but also incredibly unlikely. 

Bears, for the most part, will hide from you if they know you're coming. The danger comes when you surprise them. Usually when I'm hiking in areas where I know there's a bear population I'll try to keep up a medium level of conversation (or if I'm solo, do things like wear a bell). They're also pretty easy to chase off, most of the time.

In this instance we had just ascended a massive ridge and were low in energy & spirit, so we weren't making any noise. And sure enough... bear.

Lesson learned.

Jul 26, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

Jul 26, 16 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

Pardon me ... Balkins, the above image is a joke.

Jul 26, 16 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

is that funny I CAN'T TELL IF ITS FUNNY.

Jul 26, 16 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

tduds, do you need me to explicate it for you?

Jul 26, 16 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

[copies and pastes the entire Wikipedia entries for grizzly bears and black bears into TC]

Jul 26, 16 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

When I saw that bear I almost explicated all over my hiking pants.

Jul 26, 16 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

black bear cubs are cute, had one crawl under my yard fence and climb the crab-apple tree, mommy was just outside checking, little rascal ate all he could and ran back to mom. Things got scary when my next door neighbor put a compost bin against the fence, bear mom destroyed said fence and bin. 

Jul 26, 16 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Discussion: which bears are better, Gummy Bears or Care Bears?

I vote Gummy Bears, unless you get the sugarless Haribo Gummy Bears. There are Youtube videos on how they attack the gastrointestinal system with the ferocity of the bear that attacked Hugh Glass in the Revenant.

Jul 26, 16 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Definitely Gummy bears.

You can't eat Care Bears.

Jul 26, 16 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

I hope they were quick-drying hiking pants. You'd hate to have to deal with chafing on top of everything else. Shame about the driftwood as well. It might have helped by serving as something to hang the pants from to dry.

Sometimes I scratch my head when I see hammock campers putting their food in a bear bag. If I was the bear, I wouldn't care about the bag high up in the tree. I would just take the tasty human burrito hanging a little more than a foot off the ground. Perfect dining height.

Jul 26, 16 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm going to assume you're being entirely serious in your assertion that bears would eat humans. Get ready for 1,500 poorly-sourced words about the dietary and behavioral patterns of bears to explain why that scenario is unrealistic.

Jul 26, 16 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Best gummy bear ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqOSNzxo7Mo

Jul 26, 16 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

That sign is hilarious.

I miss puddles. He was always vocal and humorous about his fear of bears. Mike Birbiglia does a funny routine about it, too.

Jul 26, 16 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry tduds. I really should be more explicit. I'm not saying that all bears would eat humans. Obviously that would be ridiculous. Gummy bears lack the jaw muscles and teeth that it would take to break through human skin, let alone deal with our other tissues and organs.

Jul 26, 16 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

It's too bad I've stopped posting on my Archinect blog while He Who Shall Not Be Named still lurks. I got my first spam comment from caddtrainingcentre last night so I feel like I've finally "made it" as a blogger.

Jul 27, 16 11:30 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

anyone have any experience working at stantec?

Got a message out of the blue yesterday....

Jul 27, 16 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Whatever happened to puddles?  (The person, not the little water  bodies).  And, for that matter, the Hamptonite?

Jul 27, 16 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Finally listened to MObama's speech at the DNC and I'm crying.  She is so inspirational.

citizen, puddles moved to the tropics and disappeared. Miles left when Rick got out of hand.

Jul 27, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

We listened to that speech last night during dinner. Pretty good. 

Jul 27, 16 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Thanks, Donna...

Jul 27, 16 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
So one of the good things about my current form is that I get paid hourly and get paid overtime.....except for I'm pretty sure that's all changing tomorrow.

If that's the case, I'm not going to be a happy architect. If I have to put in a ton of overtime on multiple projects and come home with no energy and feeling awful the vast majority of the time, I better be getting paid for it.
Jul 27, 16 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

What? No overtime? Fuck that. Just find a new job that isn't out to abuse your passion.

Jul 28, 16 3:35 am  · 
 · 
Yeah, well we'll see what happens. I calculated last night that I've already worked two months of 40 hr weeks in overtime alone this year.
Jul 28, 16 8:30 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

don't be shy about mentioning that if they do want to "renegotiate."  

Jul 28, 16 8:39 am  · 
 · 
I already have an acceptable number in my head. If it's not that, we're negotiating. Unless it's an insultingly low number. Then...
Jul 28, 16 8:56 am  · 
 · 

I worked at a firm that paid hourly, with time and a half for overtime, until you became licensed. At that point they switched you over to a salary. There were more than a couple PMs that were putting off licensure for as long as possible because they were making more by getting paid hourly.

Jul 28, 16 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm salaried with an hourly wage for all hours worked beyond the expected 37.5 work week.

No slave ships here.

Donna, that gondola song you linked me two 2 days ago is beautiful. I'll admit I'm a terrible singer but at the moment, we're playing lullaby versions of Madonna, the Stones and Tool to the little guy.

Jul 28, 16 11:32 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I don't get overtime but my company is great about "paying back" overtime with time off. So many half-day Fridays and 4 day weekends after a deadline.

Jul 28, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 

The Critical Regionalist Architects in USA or North America? thread just made my week.

Jul 28, 16 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
New job title. OT pay remains. Could have been a lot worse.
Jul 28, 16 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Do you at least get to use the corporate chopper on weekends?

Jul 28, 16 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The corporate chopper:

Jul 28, 16 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

well played Tduds.

Jul 28, 16 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

You must be making some larger scale models than my firm does. 

Jul 28, 16 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: