Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

And the Campbell Apartment is closing as well, presumably to be replaced with another overpriced bar that plays terrible house music and panders to bros from White Plains wearing salmon-colored shorts. Seems like everything I love about NYC is being destroyed by greed.

Jul 13, 16 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

The greed is relative, the Four Season's for all intents and purposes, was built and sustained upon greed, I suppose it's only fitting it would be destroyed by the same processes.  Doesn't make it any less a loss, but hey, we will always have the pictures...

Jul 13, 16 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This seems like it would appeal to everyone here: http://artscrub.tumblr.com/

Jul 13, 16 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Wiggum: True, NYC has always been the world capitol of greed. I just wish the new money didn't have such terrible taste. We've gone from the Rockefellers and Stuyvesants to the Trumps and Kardashians.

Jul 13, 16 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

notto - Looks like shit, the website looks like a 4yr old set it up.

Jul 13, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Things I've learned in our era of the primacy of the image: I'm too fat, too ugly, and too short. Apparently substance matters not.

Dating is fun, y'all.
Jul 13, 16 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Kardashians are LA just saying. You needn't worry they live in a Spanish tile and stucco utopia. Equally hideous.
Jul 13, 16 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Josh, usually artists who are not in the high-art scene charge per square inch... rates vary obviously. 

Jul 13, 16 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

P.S. I think its fuckin wonderful the 4 seasons is being auctioned. A fitting end. Now to tear down the glass house. 

Jul 13, 16 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Thanks archanonymous. I've seen material plus labor, square inch, and linear inch. They all seem to come out around the same range dependent on rate. Definitely not trying to sell for millions of dollars.
Jul 13, 16 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Josh, I briefly looked at $/inch but I found it unreasonable since I often use 24x36 & 36x48 canvases. But then again, I've never had to shop for wall art since I've always produced my own. I understand from my people that plenty spend real money to decorate their walls, something I'm clueless about.

This reminds me, I have 3 or 4 pieces in productions which are sitting in a corner. I bought a house in November 2015 then proceeded to carve myself an office/studio out of the basement. It's not finished yet but the new project (baby boy) is taking all my free time. I'm hoping I'll be able to carve up some time when he starts sleeping in his crib for more than 15mins at a time.

Jul 14, 16 8:59 am  · 
 · 

Hang in there, Non Seq. The baby schedule is seriously rough but it will, slowly, get better.

Jul 14, 16 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks Donna.

I'm back at the office now and I've established a 4am to 1am(next day) schedule. Up at 4 to feed & change then get to office by 7:30am, Leave somewhere around 5:30-6pm, baby cuddles until 1am where the mom takes over while I get my 3hr beauty sleep. So far so good. Little dude passed the 6lbs mark this week and is now 6weeks old.

Jul 14, 16 10:42 am  · 
 · 

Keep in mind some of the most beautiful pictures ever are of a dad/husband asleep, exhausted, on a couch with a baby snuggled on top of him, sound asleep too. Those pictures melt my heart every time. So set up LOTS of opportunities for that to happen!

Jul 14, 16 11:15 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Babywise, read it...

Jul 14, 16 11:16 am  · 
 · 

I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty afraid of having kids. Pretty sure I'm too damn selfish for it.

Jul 14, 16 11:54 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

damn, josh.  You ARE the total package! lol

Jul 14, 16 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Haha. The selfish part I'll eventually grow out of, but I'll admit I'm a pretty hard person to date.
Jul 14, 16 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

There really is nothing more enjoyable than sitting at the DMV... except maybe paying parking tickets... yeah... I think Im going to get parking tickets for stocking stuffers this year. Merry Christmas! Have a parking ticket.

Jul 14, 16 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

"Have you been to the DMV? It's a leper colony out there!" - Jerry Seinfeld.

Jul 14, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

It was announced today that a project I worked on received one of the 2016 AIA / HUD secretary awards. Kinda stoked about that - and it's on Arch Daily!

http://new.aia.org/showcases/14671-dorchester-art--housing-collaborative

http://www.archdaily.com/791401/four-outstanding-housing-projects-win-aia-hud-secretary-awards

Jul 14, 16 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats!

Jul 14, 16 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

The State of Connecticut has announced more State Layoffs......wonder if their going to be letting people go at the DMV......?

Jul 14, 16 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

I just had to pick up my Washington state drivers license a few weeks ago, and the process made NY look like a model of efficiency by comparison. (Fortunately, my experience of getting my reciprocal registration was the inverse.) I'm pretty sure the DMV pipes in the sound of babies screaming on the speaker system just to spite the people waiting in line.

Jul 14, 16 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

Does any work actually get accomplished on Friday afternoons?

Jul 15, 16 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Totally! It's the best time since the engineers have already left and no one from site is calling for urgent details.

I am writing this while I leave early. Ha! But beer awaits.
Jul 15, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

I might need a glass or three of scotch after this week.

Jul 15, 16 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yes donna, a military coup in turkey gets done on a friday afternoon. wtf is wrong with this year?

Jul 15, 16 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
proto

david cole, i'm right there with you

#cheers #tgif

Jul 15, 16 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Can I just say how cool it is to see your first completed project, one you designed on your own, labored to make sure the GC didn't fuck up, on television? I know it makes me a geek, but everyone loves it.

Even better? My client is building more spaces throughout the country.

Even better +? Now they want me to design them a farm.

Even better ++? Looks like my goal of being on my own by end of 2016 is on schedule.

Exciting.

Now, if I can just find a partner.
Jul 16, 16 9:40 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Is he who must not be named kicked off or no?
Jul 16, 16 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Congrats Ken. If it is the project I think it is, they would do very well in Colorado. 

Jul 16, 16 10:11 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Does anyone us a stylus to markup drawings and renderings in Photoshop or Autodesk Sketchbook Pro? Anyone recommend a good stylus that doesn't cost as much as a bottle of good scotch?

Jul 16, 16 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Why do you need a partner? What you need is a free intern! (j/k please no one use this joke against me in my future run for AIA National president!)

Jul 16, 16 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Donna, your platform should include a free bottle of liquor for every AIA member.
Jul 16, 16 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Not looking to start a fight, just thinking out loud, which usually starts a fight... in construction, an apprentice (intern) gets paid shit... $10/hr no bennys until they can learn the skills needed to demand a higher wage AND they know they dont know shit... same is true for architorture, except interns all come out of school thinking they know everything and the practitioner knows nothing, except that nuts and bolts crap. Apprentices are almost hazed in many ways whereas interns are tolerated??? Anyways... low cost production makes the world turn. I too would not look for a partner but a paid position with 0-2 years experience...

Jul 16, 16 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

And I'm pretty sure if God wanted Architects to rule the world he wouldn't have invented alcohol.... or was that the Irish...

Jul 16, 16 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I want a partner to co-generate business. I'm not big enough to have unpaid interns.

Jul 16, 16 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

A road trip to Mt. Rainier National Park yesterday -- and almost a full day out of cell phone / internet range -- was just what the doctor ordered. I can't imagine moving back to a city where I can't get to places like this on a Saturday and still be home in time for dinner.

My firm designs mostly urban multi-family projects, which is all well and good, but just once in my career I'd love to design a custom house, a ski cabin, or a visitor center somewhere up in the mountains.

Jul 17, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

there is a big difference between free intern and $10/hr.  somewhere in the range of $10/hr.  i don't know if that's really where you want your staff in today's dollars or that's where it was 10 years ago, but either way something > nothing.

b3ta, you should post an ad on archinect for a recent graduate looking to work for experience, that can be self-directed, has 10 years of experience in all relevant software, and can bring in new business and clients.  you should include a head shot while you're at it.  it probably wouldn't be the worst ad from an architecture firm.

Jul 17, 16 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

I just had a delightful dinner with two graffiti artists from LA. They are both well-known, well-versed in art history and graffitis' place within it, and have both spent time in jail for painting graffiti. I can't get my head around how it makes sense to put someone in jail for an aesthetic enhancement of a public place?!

Jul 17, 16 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Anybody watching "The Night Of"?

Jul 17, 16 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

^^Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the law doesn't differentiate between Banksy and a gangster. Graffitti is also not always restrained to a public place. 

What do you think? Aesthetic enhancement or jail time ? :)

Jul 18, 16 12:04 am  · 
 · 

Hey TC!

@archiwutm8 late with an answer, but definitely travel more and also earn more equity/save more.

Also, congrats on the licensure archanonymous and publicity Josh!

@Donna, if after 4 on a Friday no, unless I am staying past 5... Which actually happened this past Friday.

@beta, might you become their in-house corporate architect? Have they nation-wide shipping now?

Jul 18, 16 12:39 am  · 
 · 

jail time for the above.

If graffiti quality is like the above then by all means graffiti the wall but for gawd sake, have a real art skill.

Even this one above is acceptable in my book.

Jul 18, 16 1:11 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've been grilling a lot of vegetables lately. Ever since it was talked about on TC!

Jul 18, 16 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Think I will kick back and watch the Circus of  Republicans....enjoy a beer or two  and fall asleep.  This Monday has been Hot and Humid and filled with activity.  Night All....

Jul 18, 16 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

Seriously, you guys - I think Drumpf is in for a long con. He's going to clinch the nomination then after the DNC announce that he was kidding all along, he's not really running, he just wanted to expose the US people to how truly gullible and useless we actually are....right?

Jul 19, 16 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yes, I've thought that same thought, Donna. Fingers crossed.

Three recent nights I've dreamt about people in wheelchairs not having enough room. In one dream, I was in a crowded elevator that a 'capper tried to get into. All of us on the elevator shuffled left and right and packed together but this person could still not fit. I suggested this person wait for the next elevator cab. As if triggered by the sound of my voice, suddenly the ground shifted and the backwall and floor of the elevator shot backward (and up a little bit).Out from underneath the elevator floor a giant segmented ramp unfolded into a bridge out towards the handicapped person. This extension was easily 100 ft long and had no side protection. The handicapped person wheeled up onto the ramp and started towards us but we were still moving backwards too and they could never catch us. The ramp was twisting with the movement and I was afraid they would fall off. Woke up. 

Jul 19, 16 11:16 am  · 
 · 

My stress dreams are always architecture-related. Crazy 100' long unfurling ramps sound similar. The Piranesi prison drawings are similar, too. Last night it was a version of Philadelphia that was ocean front and a maze of apocalyptic city streets.

Jul 19, 16 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: