Archinect
anchor

Just wondering does anyone know about how many new architecture students graduate each year?

Feb 4 '11 16 Last Comment
creativity expert
Feb 4, 11 12:01 pm

with tons of blogs all over the internet full of students, Im just wondering how many students are graduating each year? not including all the people that eventually drop out, but that would be an interesting number too. I know currently including licensed architects the architecture community is at about 220,000 people or something a little more than that. with over half of those people unemployed it does not seem to phasing students who go into an architecture program. Anyway just wondering if anyone has an idea.

creativity expert
Feb 4, 11 12:39 pm

I hope no one takes this as another rant about the crippling economy, or the unemployed people in architecture enough has been said about that by now, and it is not in any way an attack against those going to architecture college, purely statistical.

gresham
Feb 4, 11 1:14 pm

If you go to the NAAB's web site here you can download a presentation called "2009 Report on Accreditation in Architecture." This document indicates that in 2009, there were:

10,264 students enrolled in M.Arch programs.

15,162 students enrolled in B.Arch programs.

3,231 M.Arch degrees were awarded.

2,764 B.Arch degrees were awarded.

So for both M.Arch and B.Arch, the total number of degrees awarded that year was 5,995. I realize that this does not include the 4-year B.S. Arch students, but it's a starting point.

Incidentally, the same document has some pretty interesting stats on Arch Faculty salaries and registration status.

creativity expert
Feb 4, 11 1:41 pm

thanks

St. George's Fields
Feb 4, 11 3:00 pm

Also, the "architecture and engineering" field [civil engineers, architects] is expected to add about 270,000 jobs between 2008-2018 (Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, BLS).

Given only about 15% of those jobs will be actual architects, that's somewhere between 4000-5000 jobs will be created every year. Even if we go with the higher end figure and assume at least 500 or so B.Archs will pursue M.Archs, that leaves a deficit of around 500 jobs per year for architecture graduates.

Of course, "architecture and engineering occupations" could involve a lot of other similarly related fields that architects would be qualified to work in.

creativity expert
Feb 5, 11 11:24 am

Gresham,
I would say that you can easily add (a conservative #) another 16,000 B.S. arch students making the total architecture student body around 42,000 students in 2009 anyway. So we have 5,995 B.arch's, & M.archs, graduating plus id say another 3000 BS arch's, per year, so roughly speaking there are almost 9000 graduates added to the architecture workforce of about 115,000 (unemployed) and in a lot of cases very qualified people. So, we can estimate that every year about 9,000 fresh bodies are added to the architecture community, subtract about 500 b.s. archs who stay in school for an March. still its a high number.

Wow that 42,000 annual student body number boggles the mind! Thats lot of dinero in tuition, with roughly 124,000 unemployed in architecture Yikes. and only about 110 still employed probably. 124,000 unemployed and destitute and it still doesn't discourage high school grads from signing up for arch college? maybe they just don't know how bad it really is, either way the only thing i can say is "why arent you all going to medical school" and good luck.

jmanganelli
Feb 5, 11 11:49 am

i taught freshman studio last year. without being completely discouraging, i tried to impress upon them the depression-level difficulties facing the industry in the current economy and the relatively low pay, even in good times

i didn't push too much though. my experience was that they have no way to comprehend what i was saying. first, most if not all of them come from families well enough off, even now, that true hardship seems tough for them to comprehend. second, to this point, they been performers throughout their educational history. so my impression is that they think, 'even if the situation is bad, i've always been more or less exceptional compared to my peers, so i'll still find a way to find a (good) job because I am in the top 5 or 10 percent of my peers' not realizing how intense the competition is and that they may not be as exceptional as their high school experience led them to believe

so i don't think warning students about the perils of the industry is a deterrent.....

creativity expert
Feb 5, 11 11:55 am

oh no I am not trying to deter anyone, this was just pure statistics, but after seeing a tangible number of 124,000 unemployed, I guess thats what prompted me to blurt out "why aren't you going to medical school" my thoughts behind that is we actually need more doctors in this country, not to mention we need more skilled labor also, this statistical thread to could easily run off in a different direction, but no it is just a numbers thread nothing more.

own1221
Feb 5, 11 4:04 pm

In New Zealand there are 3 universities teaching architecture - around 280 graduate in a year and the population of NZ is 4 million people 280/4,000,000=0.00007 [ratio]

What's the ratio of arch grads to population in the US?

creativity expert
Feb 5, 11 4:30 pm

I think that relating the number of architecture graduates to the population of a nation is not the point, but rather was to point out by how many more people the architecture work force has increased. Besides as a new graduate, they are not really equipped with the years of experience, knowledge, or the coveted license to actually serve the community. There are a few graduates that have access to finances that will allow them to do something but that is a very small number almost insignificant, and even then they still have no license to practice architecture, here in the USA anyway.

quizzical
Feb 5, 11 8:20 pm

In grad school I conducted some research that showed, rather conclusively, that the inflation adjusted growth of 'new-construction-put-in-place' in the US tracks population growth almost exactly. This would suggest that the ratio of architects to urban population is, in fact, a meaningful measure for architects to consider over time.

I haven't updated my data in some years, but my earlier research also indicated that the population of both Architects and architectural employment has grown considerably faster than the general population since the 1960s - thus suggesting that the share of new construction spending per architect has declined significantly over this same period of time.

creativity expert
Feb 5, 11 9:00 pm

This is kind of what I was afraid of, people coming out and taking this thread in a way different direction, it is just a statistical thread nothing more, and quiz, im sorry but here in the USA, we dont call recent graduates "Architects" just because they graduated from college, unlike Europe, I dont make the rules here.

creativity expert
Feb 5, 11 9:08 pm

just a reminder I have stated that I started this thread to figure how many new architecture graduates join the architecture workforce per year that's really about it.

babs
Feb 6, 11 6:35 am

ce ... don't be such a pompous ass?

Your question was answered by Gresham. Now - in this DISCUSSION FORUM - others want to explore the ramifications of that information, which I find both useful and informative.

This isn't your own private research service. Now that Gresham gave you the data you wanted (data you could have looked up yourself) what else is there to say about your very personal and private 'statistical' question?

creativity expert
Feb 6, 11 8:12 am

hay hay watch the language, go ahead people take this thread and morph it how ever you like.

creativity expert
Feb 7, 11 8:14 am

ps. babs,
im glad that this information is useful to you and other people. incidentally, i knew a person from germany that had a similar sounding name to yours, (in college), if that is you im sorry, and just wanted to tell you that I always thought you were hot.

shuellmi
Feb 7, 11 3:14 pm

How many architect's retire/die/quit a year?

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading