Archinect
anchor

RISD vs. UMich Taubman (Undergrad)

Pen888

Hello! I was recently accepted to several undergrad architecture programs and I am having trouble choosing between RISD and UMich. (I was also admitted to Carnegie Mellon, Syracuse, Pratt, and UIUC but my parents and I have narrowed it down to these two...)

RISD

Pros: Excellent reputation (is this true?) interesting faculty and extremely talented art/design students, really supportive advising/careers department, Brown classes, clubs/organizations across RISD/Brown, and other opportunities with lectures/partnerships, etc. ~1 hour from Boston and 2 hours from NYC

Cons: Although I'd consider myself a strong artist I've heard some say it's too conceptual/artistic? Expensive!! 'Architecture' work begins 2nd year as first year is the foundation studies program (difficulty keeping up with other students for internships first three years?) 

UMich Taubman College

Pros: Liberal arts curriculum, part of a highly respected research institution with abundant research opportunities, amazing facilities. Gave 30k merit aid (over 4 years) Also has interesting opportunities and I can apply for a dual degree or pursue multiple minors across the university. 

Cons: Not accredited. Seemingly less design-focused and doesn't seem to have the extremely rigorous studio curriculum RISD has. ~30 minutes from Detroit but far from other major cities. Expensive out-of-state tuition crushes merit aid :( 

As I hope to eventually earn an M.Arch regardless of my undergrad degree, my main concern is the B.Arch vs. BS/BA path.  I'd say my artistic skills are strong enough that the RISD foundation year doesn't deter me (I've actually been looking forward to it.) But I am also very interested in various academic pursuits perhaps better served at UMich, such as computation, philosophy/social sciences and materials science. While RISD seems to prepare students very very well as designers, clearly there are sustainability and social concerns architecture must address that are grounded in other fields which having minors or double majors might better prepare me for. (RISD has more focused concentrations in social sciences, sustainability, computation, and more, but I'm not sure how comprehensive they are. Brown classes are great, but I can't be sure they will make up the difference either) Overall I am open to both courses of study...I just don't know which one might be more conducive to success for grad school and in practice. 

I'd really appreciate any advice anybody can provide! Thank you :)

Apr 25, 24 7:58 pm
graphemic

I highly recommend getting a BArch or an MArch. You don't need to study architecture for two whole degrees. It will burn you out long before you enter the work force. 

I was in the same spot as you entering college and chose to get a BA in Anthropology, knowing that I would go on to get an MArch. It was deeply rewarding, gave me a lot of time to situate myself in the world, and prepared me for architecture school in so many ways. Also, my social sciences background helped my MArch applications, leading to some good scholarships. Makes you stand out. You'll do circles around your classmates when it comes to writing and research. 

Architecture is a super long career, there's no rush. Just please do not go through two degree programs. The academic side of architecture has its merits, but lingering there is better done as a professor than a student. 

Apr 25, 24 8:46 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

pick the cheapest accredited degree. No arch degree is worth a life sentence in debt. 

Apr 26, 24 7:29 am  · 
1  · 

As graphemic and Non Sequitur said, get the least costly B.Arch or M.Arch - they are what you need to become an architect. 

FYI:  Once you get your degree you need to intern under an architect to obtain a preset amount of experience.  This typically takes 3-5 years.  Once that is done you then take six separate exams.  Passing all the exams  takes 1-3 years on average.  Once you pass all of them then you're an architect.   

So with school it will take you between 9 - 14 years on average to become an architect. 

Apr 26, 24 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: