Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Non Sequitur

Donna, that Piranesi prison sketch used to be my avatar pic here... some 6-7 years ago.

That's a long ramp, hopefully you did not forget to place a landings to rest. Those landings would make a good place to put a bar.

Jul 19, 16 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I used to have a recurring nightmare that took place on the stairs of my old 1918 elementary school building which was 3 stories and had this big central winding stair that connected all the floors. The stairs were slippery, small, and the treads tilted slightly down. The space was huge, especially for a kid. In the dream, I was in a line with kids in front of me and behind me as far as I could see and we were going up them but as the stairs kept going, they would tilt more and more and kids would just start falling and sliding down.   

Jul 19, 16 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That ramp in my dream, interesting enough, was not ADA accessible. It had steps in it. But really small ones that the wheelchair bound person was able to go up but not without effort and it made the whole thing shake even more. 

Jul 19, 16 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Without fail... every couple of years I have a nightmare that everyone is putting up their thesis projects for the final crit and all I have is a piece of trace with some scribbles on it. Hand in hand with registrars office calling me and telling me I'm actually 3 credits short of graduating and they have to rescind my diploma. Fuck school!

Jul 19, 16 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

so there was a rick roll in that speech and nobody wants to bring it up?

Jul 19, 16 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
I think they were Rick Rolling as they were pouring Sheetrock.
Jul 19, 16 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/4tnugw/bollard_advice_my_house_gets_hit_by_cars_a_lot/ Please guys read this first post and look at the house. I've never ever seen anything like it.

Jul 20, 16 3:23 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the road goes to a cemetary and its in Harrisburg, PA is what i learned. pretty funny house.

Jul 20, 16 6:50 am  · 
 · 
Schoon

I grew up around that area and just had to check out where that house was.  Looks like the owner  is trying to sell, in case anyone wants to own "one of the most iconic homes in Harrisburg!"

Jul 20, 16 8:06 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Schoon - How much is he trying to sell it for?

Jul 20, 16 8:19 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I'm Concrete Hanger Myself......There are not a lot of us out there.  It is decided I'm going to vote for Donald Duck!  Quack Quack Quack.

Jul 20, 16 8:24 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

that stop light in front of your windows must make for some nice lighting effects

Jul 20, 16 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

JLC....I think it if for funerals...

Jul 20, 16 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

archiwutm8, I got that photo from google street view, dated August 2015 (note the for sale sign in the picture).  They may have sold it already, but if you want to find out you could always call...

Jul 20, 16 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

If you go on and read through the reddit thread a bit, you'll come to find that the OP there is the one who recently purchased the home.  Before the location of the home was divulged I went and did a search from space (google earth) for the place.  I eventually found it, but also discovered there is a cemetery on S 25th in Altoona as well!

Jul 20, 16 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Alright guys, we've been arguing in the office about what symbol to use for underside of beam/steel and top of beam/steel. What's the universal symbols?

Jul 21, 16 10:00 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Uhh.. I just note TOS or Top of Steel. 

Jul 21, 16 10:16 am  · 
 · 

^ Same here. I usually just say "B/ STEEL" or "T/ STEEL". If I need a spot elevation or a level, I just use the default symbol in Revit. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Jul 21, 16 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't trust contractors to know anything. This assumption is confirmed on an hourly basis.

I normally write "TOP OF STEEL" without abbreviation. I don't have time for a contractor to call and ask. Sure, there is a legend up on the 2nd page, but who has time to check?

Jul 21, 16 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Non, do you also explain what steel is? Do you have supplementary diagrams to explain TOP and BOTTOM?

Jul 21, 16 11:04 am  · 
 · 

Does anybody else read the Callison/RTKL logo as "Callison-R-Tickle" or is it just me?

Jul 21, 16 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

My office usually writes T.O.STEEL or B.O.STEEL, since sometimes people would mistakenly read T.O.S. as Top of Slab.

Jul 21, 16 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
I usually put P.O.S. and have the GC send me an RFI.
Jul 21, 16 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
"Polish finish. It's right there in the spec. What don't you understand about means and methods?"
Jul 21, 16 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

I read CallisonTinkle then I need to pee.

Jul 21, 16 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

But maybe I only read Tinkle because I just watched Ghostbusters and about peed my pants laughing at how ridiculous and wonderful it was!  I'd watch it again just for Chris Hemsworth's job interview.

Jul 21, 16 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

THE "ORANGE DUMP TRUCK" has spoken

Jul 21, 16 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I just went out on my deck and my Republican Neighbors light are out so I think I'm safe to sleep...

Jul 21, 16 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Tintt, I will almost always indicate top of steel deck, top of joist, top of concrete slab, etc. I will write exactly what the target is and I prefer top of instead of bottom since the depth of assemblies can change but not so much for levels. One variant with some of the pre-fab buildings I have in progress is to write joist high point. They will figure out their slopes and deck as per this dimension.

I make sure these labels are consistent in all detail scales (1:50
To 1:10) Gc still won't bother to read anything but the main plan, but at least I know where to send them when they call.
Jul 22, 16 7:57 am  · 
 · 

I used to really like Herzog and Demueron, but I don't anymore - their work is all bleak and bombastic. There are moments of great beauty in pieces of it, but overall I think they are maturing into worse architects than they were when they were younger. Have any other famous architects done that? besides Philip Johnson, who I still adore despite it all.

Jul 22, 16 11:55 am  · 
 · 
gruen

Trying to hire employees. Not even getting people applying, it's a ghost town. I've posted the jobs to all the local universities and on craigslist. Has anyone had luck with archinect job postings? I need to get 1 or 2 people in within the next month - work is exploding and I'm going to have to turn things down if I can't cover my bases. 

Jul 22, 16 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

^^ was that not the direction the thread about the Libeskind project was heading? I wonder how much of these perceived declines in fresh ideas are based on the need to sustain an office built around a brand versus just getting comfortable with oneself and body of work,  thus returning to old ideas. 

Jul 22, 16 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, I have to agree with you a bit. I feel that way about Steven Holl's work too. His work seems to be moving to much into the spectacle region.

You know who I think is getting better with age? Rem. Some of the latest work within historical contexts has been balls-out fantastic and creates a wonderful dialogue. 

Jul 22, 16 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

gruen, you were going to pay my way the Caribbean weren't you? maybe i misunderstood the scope.

Jul 22, 16 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Gruen as long as you pay for my visa I'll work for you! 

Jul 22, 16 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

gruen,

Trying to hire employees. Not even getting people applying, it's a ghost town. I've posted the jobs to all the local universities and on craigslist. Has anyone had luck with archinect job postings? I need to get 1 or 2 people in within the next month - work is exploding and I'm going to have to turn things down if I can't cover my bases. 

Where are you located? Is there anything I can do to help you out without immediately requiring me to move to your locale? I know, you'll (your firm) has to review the work throughout. 

I'm looking at this at minimum being temporary.

Jul 22, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Gruen, what's the level of experience you're looking for? any specific project types? where is it? relocation expenses? 

Jul 22, 16 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna, I agree with you to a limited extent. Definitely agree about Holl - he looked so close to a Pritzker, but now I don't know if he'll ever get it. Also, architecture is moving away from "nice" things.

Josh, as i was reading Donna's post Rem came to mind. I don't think he's actually doing any of the designs. What he has done is create a didactic and collaborative work environment (as well as a significant body of research and theory) and allowed his younger staff to build on that. The projects are fantastic. MVRDV and UN Studio take this same approach.

Jul 22, 16 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Most likely true archanonymous. The work coming out of OMA lately has been pretty great. 

I guess some architects age like fine wine and cheese, and others like milk?

Jul 22, 16 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

milk is a great example. the work gets really really bad, smells like vomit and decomposing carcases, then suddenly it is delicious - it has become cheese!

If this holds true i'm expecting Eisenman to unveil a masterpiece any day now.

Jul 22, 16 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Gruen

Have crayons will travel for a six pack of beer! 

Jul 22, 16 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

A  client, we provide technical  assistance  on their art projects,  walked thru a residence designed by Lebeskind  recently.  As much as it was an piece of Art, she was uncomfortable about it. She ask me about it and my comment not for me, his work is disjointed and to much of an explosion for me.

Jul 22, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
jsayer94@yahoo.co.uk

Anyone seen this? Pretty bloody hilarious lol. "Melania Trump's Architecture Portfolio"
http://architectureisntfunny.tumblr.com/

Jul 22, 16 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

haha most excellent

Jul 22, 16 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the news is boring, so I'll post Melania Trump architecture

“Trickling Liquid”

“Shiny Thing”

“ ;) ” (not Trump)

“Hair clip”

Jul 22, 16 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

damn that went to shit....hold-on...googled her name and architecture...the highlights

Jul 22, 16 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

SORRY DUDE, THE KID BARON, IS RIDING A LION!

so I googled it....apparently it's Donald J. Trump on a lion with the Confederate Flag being flown by Bill Cosby!

ahhhhh...America

recently , flying into Ireland I noted my dad wrote "American" under "Citizenship", I said "dad, American is not a nationality, technically you're USA".   but that sounded really dumb - you're a USA'an

Jul 22, 16 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

wait, I didn't google "melania trump design"

my only clients that have this much gotti bullshit are all Soviet Russia states and what not....

the Russians have won!

the white house will be overley decorated with gold crusted crown moldings above the toilet.

am I rich bitch!?!??!\

(the Amber Room)

The best way to destroy the capitalist system is to debauch the currency.

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Vladimir Lenin

Jul 22, 16 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
The thing I most despise about many Republicans is when I see them celebrate in themselves the aspects of my own personality that I work hard to suppress.
Jul 23, 16 8:40 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

like what donna?   do you secretly wish you had all that tacky gold crusted crown molding in your bathroom?

Jul 23, 16 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: