Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

curtkram

that ark is awesome. 

“Here at the ark, we’re trying to recreate what the ship might have looked like 4,400 years ago,”

it's like they used jesus's own glulam beams. 

Jul 7, 16 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

David Cole,

You wrote: "Go fuck off and die in a fire, Balkins."

Straighten up and conduct yourself in a more professional manner. This behavior is kind of unprofessional.

Jul 7, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

Balkins, you're literally the last person on the planet who should be lecturing anybody about professionalism, and you're the last person who is owed any shred of the same from others. You're a loser in your mid-30s who lives in your mommy's attic while pretending to be an architect, despite having apparently never worked a single day in your life. You're a liar and a complete fraud, not to mention criminally incompetent. The cleaning guy who takes out the trash at my office has more credibility than you when it comes to design. Each time you open your mouth is an insult to those of us who have actually put in the effort to become architects, and if it were up to me you would've been banned from this site months ago for being a pompous know-it-all fuckmuppet.

Jul 7, 16 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
David, I'm stealing fuckmuppet. That's one hell of an insult.
Jul 7, 16 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

David Cole,

Balkins, you're literally the last person on the planet who should be lecturing anybody about professionalism, and you're the last person who is owed any shred of the same from others. You're a loser in your mid-30s who lives in your mommy's attic while pretending to be an architect, despite having apparently never worked a single day in your life. You're a liar and a complete fraud, not to mention criminally incompetent. The cleaning guy who takes out the trash at my office has more credibility than you when it comes to design. Each time you open your mouth is an insult to those of us who have actually put in the effort to become architects, and if it were up to me you would've been banned from this site months ago for being a pompous know-it-all fuckmuppet.

Excuse me, criminal negligence? Back it up or I will have the circuit court judge place an injunction against you for slander.

You say it is my responsibility to control the engineer(s)? All the so called criminal negligence issues that was brought up was primarily the responsibility of the engineer(s) that the client or their construction contractor had contracted. I did not know who the engineers were until about 2-3 months ago. I couldn't get the information earlier from the B.O. because they had the permit file under restricted access. As a matter of fact, these issues should have been brought forward by the then Fire Chief Lenard Hansen or the Local fire marshal at the time ( ironically named, Michael Jackson but not related to the music artist).  This should have been assessed prior to a temporary certificate of occupancy. 

First off, the fire sprinklers for the whole building INCLUDING under the stage as well as the smoke ventilation systems and other mechanical systems for such ventilation were to be designed by the engineer(s) the client and/or their contractor or contractor's subcontractor. The electrical systems was designed by a certified electrician which was permitted under exemptions outlined in OSBEELS administrative rules OAR 820-040-0010.

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_800/oar_820/820_040.html

I do not have a privity of contract with the engineers or the contractor or even the subcontractor. Therefore, I have no practical control over any of them. You wouldn't have any control over any of them because by law, you can't have any control over anyone other than your employees or those persons you contract, yourself. 

The biggest HSW issues that were brought up were issues that were under the responsible charge of the engineers. You do realize I never saw or knew the identity of the engineers that the client or client's contractor (or contractor's subcontractor) had commissioned. I did not have privity of contract.

In addition, I couldn't go to the building department to get the information because the client had restricted access to the permit files at the time. The only engineering plans I saw was the fire sprinkler plans. The first time that I saw those plans were in April/May 2016. 8 YEARS later.

The client never provided me the identity of the engineers. 

Just because the client doesn't provide me identity of the engineers does not necessarily mean there will be incompetence of the engineers. I just can't verify that their work is compliant. Since these were LICENSED DESIGN PROFESSIONALS, right? 

Also in May 2016, I had ascertained that A) they did have a temporary certificate of occupancy form filled and filed, B) I can't verify if it was approved or not but C) the city full well knew the ASOC theater was open to the public for all this time, D) there was not a permanent certificate of occupancy and that the building permits were not finalized.

For quite awhile the permit file was restricted access and it was only after awhile that the permit file had became unrestricted access. What I didn't see in the permit file was the mechanical plans. 

For some reason, the client had started deviating from the permit process which I was not aware of. 

In addition, I had noticed in a site visit in May 2016 that there was a number of things that were done after July 2008 when I was last involved. In 2010, the stage had an extension added to it. Most of the other issues, I had no involvement with such as closets in the dressing rooms. I did not design any of those nor had any visual observation of those closets because they were not present on the site in March/April 2008 when I was last on-site prior to their first opening show in July 2008.

Therefore, there was a lot done in April to July 2008 and some stuff subsequently done later.

While I did raise concerns, I didn't feel I necessarily had to report to the building official or other city officials for not disclosing to me who the engineers were or necessarily involving me as they were licensed design professionals, right? 

From what I can tell, most of the issues raised were in the purview of the engineer designing the mechanical, fire sprinklers and related plumbing systems.

When you don't have privity of contract, you don't have authority over anyone who is not your employee. This applies to architects as well. This is contract law stuff. I can't control people who are not my employees or under direct contract to me. You have to follow the contractual chain of command. This means, I have to go back to the client and just because the client happens to not relay doesn't mean I can have grounds to file complaint to building department. Sometimes, clients may refuse to not relay to the engineers without giving any verbal indication of refusing to. Sometimes, it doesn't get relayed by the contractor whom I do not control, either. It maybe the contractor that broke the chain of communication. Who the hell knows. I had no contractual relation to the builder, either. We are dealing with different contractual parties. 

The biggest and most critical HSW issues that could be conceived as criminal negligent were issued under the purview of the licensed engineers who were responsible for from my understanding. 

To this date, I have not yet ever talked to anyone from the only engineering firm that I was able to identify from the original project.

Jul 8, 16 2:26 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

In other news, just cancelled my gym membership. Asshats gonna take another month payment off me!

Jul 8, 16 3:36 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

some gyms do 90 days man

Jul 8, 16 6:07 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

That's called a scam mate.

Jul 8, 16 7:33 am  · 
 · 
Richard, shut up. Just shut the hell up. I'm with David: if it were up to me you'd have been banned a long while ago. You contribute nothing but frustration to these discussions.

Jesus. I come here looking for community with my fellow smart, sassy architects.
Jul 8, 16 8:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That ark is an awesome us of public monies.

Jul 8, 16 8:45 am  · 
 · 
Damn Rick, if I wanted to read rants that make no sense, I'd unblock my exes and read their emails. Just leave.

And yeah, cut education funding but give money to a religious organization to make an ark. Great job, Kentucky. It's not surprising though when Mitch McConnell pretty much said the NRA should approve of the next Supreme Court justice.
Jul 8, 16 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

Another tough night / morning for optimists...

Marc, I think the idea of leaving something behind is the most important component of the TWBTA quote. The implication is there will be someone in the future able to use, appreciate and understand what is built. This is a social idea, right? Projecting forward to the future requires optimism. Hopefully we as a society are building things that will be around that long, but even if we aren't, striking a line in the ground and saying, we are building here, is optimistic. Construction of a single-family residence is a massive endeavor that requires a large group of manufacturers, suppliers, subcontractors, engineers, architects, etc. to move in basically the same direction together. I think it's an amazing thing.

Do pessimists build new buildings? Or better, do pessimists build new buildings of quality?

Also, it feels like more architects are making the argument that architecture is a 'social' practice, or at least can and should be.

Jul 8, 16 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

Marc, could you explain 'optimization veiled as optimism'?

Jul 8, 16 9:21 am  · 
 · 

Andrew, 

When I mentioned optimization I was referring to best and highest use rhetoric used in development and situations when the ideal is determined by how well a property can be made to perform based not on the needs of a given set of communities and user, but the sole needs of the owner/investor. In effect optimism is gives way to speculation, changing base assumption and goals.

Jul 8, 16 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Also, wtf Dallas?

Jul 8, 16 11:11 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Also, wtf Dallas?

Just bought a dash cam for my car...

Jul 8, 16 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Almost forgot, the chicken, fennel, and zuchinni kebabs, grilled corn, grilled bread, and mezze backyard party was great, by the way. The corn was sooo good! And I didn't even like corn on the cob before that. Now I do. I used chicken thighs instead of breasts, they were gone as soon as people got them. Thanks for all the good recipes. 

Jul 8, 16 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

The mood here in Dallas is a somber one to say the least...  Disappointed in humanity, and worried how this will all shake out as the source of that murderer's (s) motivation is clear, the justification is not.

Jul 8, 16 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Unbelievable....

Jul 8, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

...the cleaning guy who takes out the trash at my office IS the designer.

Jul 9, 16 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Asperger's syndrome.

Rick-look it up man.
Jul 10, 16 9:12 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Strange week... I was on vacation so what few glimpses I got of the news were enough to keep me from digging deeper. Tragedy all around.

Tintt, glad to hear your grill party was a success.

I got my state architecture license really quickly and can now happily call myself Mr. Archanonymous, licensed architect. 

What is everyone's opinion on AIA vs RA vs Architect vs NCARB after your name? They obviously all mean specific things, but I don't think it is done for professionals who would actually know the difference - it is done for clients. So what's the best one (in your opinion) and why?

Jul 10, 16 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Archiwutm -

For GH I used a pair of books by Arturo Tedeschi from ZHA, they're on amazon. Once I had a good handle on the basics I also used Studio Air from Melbourne and Mode Lab in NYC as my main learning sources for advanced topics. For proper scripting in Python I'm using Lynda, but for more architecture-related methods its Designalyze. My office is happy to pay for a subscription if people want to learn. I wish I could find better Dynamo resources (other than the ModeLab primer).

Jul 10, 16 11:25 am  · 
 · 
I think AIA is a bit more recognized outside the profession, but you are fine with either one. I don't have my NCARB certification on my business cards or anything, and don't see many people with it do so.
Jul 10, 16 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

About 40 years putting “AIA” after my name, was proud of it, but more of a distraction when handing out my card….98% of the time it was “What’s AIA mean?” People you hand cards to are looking for an “architect” not an “AIA”. A do over would be just “Architect” and list my affiliations in smaller print somewhere on the card...what we do and are is confusing enough why make it worse?

Jul 10, 16 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I am AIA, RA, NCARB & LEED.

I just call myself "architect". Seems to work.
Jul 10, 16 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

AIA and NCARB here. I figure "RA" is a bit redundant if you're already an AIA member with NCARB certification (since neither of those things are possible unless you're a registered architect). I saw "RA" a lot in New York but I've hardly seen it at all here in Seattle.

Jul 10, 16 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

I use AIA, but my business name is Donna Sink, PC, Architect - so it's pretty clear without it.

dangermouse cracked me up on the "fix my house" thread.

Jul 11, 16 1:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
The int des in my office insist on having their certification number and a slew of other letters after their names on all correspondence, letter heads and business cards. It looks sloppy and I can't help but see it as a desperate resume padding.

I only have OAA and if anyone at the table does not know what that means, they will when I start answering the contractors complaints.

That house fox thread is gold thou.
Jul 11, 16 7:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
The int des in my office insist on having their certification number and a slew of other letters after their names on all correspondence, letter heads and business cards. It looks sloppy and I can't help but see it as a desperate resume padding.

I only have OAA and if anyone at the table does not know what that means, they will when I start answering the contractors complaints.

That house fox thread is gold thou.
Jul 11, 16 7:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Oops, double post. Damn you iPhone app.
Jul 11, 16 7:45 am  · 
 · 

Andrew, apologies for not seeing the body of your response earlier.  I agree with you that architecture is a social practice, and that it takes vision and the ability to construct consensus while working towards that vision. I also agree that the discussion around social issues and architecture is on the uptake, but since when was architecture not a social practice to begin with? 

Jul 11, 16 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Hey you US guys, is there ever a situation in which an open stair that switches back once on itself is not required to have a continuous handrail at the interior if the handrail at the exterior is continuous?  Asking for a friend...

No actually I'm asking for my husband's company who is working for an architect - not me - whose drawings show what I think is not an allowable condition.

Jul 11, 16 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

a continuous handrail doesn't always have to be continuous.  it can terminate at a wall or floor iirc. 

Jul 11, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, it can, curt. Turns out the code official decided this railing needs to have an extension *because* it's not continuous. So i said to the shop fabricator 'Can you just make it continuous? Then no need for an extension."

How does Williams/Tsien constantly get away with railings that just terminate, I wonder yes I wonder?

Jul 11, 16 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Pokémon is life.

Jul 12, 16 5:31 am  · 
 · 
gruen
I'd either run them out or have continuous. Either way, when they end, they need to return.
Jul 12, 16 7:57 am  · 
 · 

^ that's in regard to Pokemon  or handrails...

Jul 12, 16 8:04 am  · 
 · 

Look at this image: six visible instances of railings just ending. I'm not criticizing the design; they are - *were* - gorgeous: a slight taper down as the hand prepares to release the railing. SO beautiful. But how are they legal?

Jul 12, 16 9:05 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ is that stair part of the path of egress Donna? I may be wrong and my codes surely differ from yours but I do remember a similar discussion for a private school stair design project in my office where this was brought up.

Nice tiger.

Jul 12, 16 9:08 am  · 
 · 

I think that's how they do it, Non. The stair is categorized as something like a "monumental stair" that isn't a required egress. But! it still needs to meet ADA, which requires an extension and a return, I thought?

Jul 12, 16 9:09 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's not residential, and it's in america, right?  we also have to consider the possibility of photoshop post-production.

Jul 12, 16 9:21 am  · 
 · 

Those stair rails are definitely not photoshop, I've touched them. But they are gone now.

Jul 12, 16 9:28 am  · 
 · 

Donna,

This is residential, right?

Homes in the U.S. are not typically required to meet ADA as a general rule. Even when ADA is applicable, only stairs that are part of an ADA accessible means of egress needs to meet the ADA. While a non-ADA stairs can connect to an ADA accessible route provide you already addressed ADA compliant floor to floor access requirements by other ADA compliant means. In other words, you can have non-ADA stairs that are connected to common egress that is part of an ADA compliant accessible means of egress. 

Jul 12, 16 9:48 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Pineapples are great.

Jul 12, 16 10:00 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Those could be bait & switch rails.   I've seen plenty of owners temp something in for the CO signoff, then change them later.

Jul 12, 16 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, I don't think it's residential... it's pretty obviously a shot from the American Folk Art museum. 

Donna, sometimes we argue that there is a suitable alternative route that is ADA to justify skirting the rules... Our victory record is not so great thou.

Archiwutm8, yes they are, especially if grilled.

Jul 12, 16 10:24 am  · 
 · 

The Folk Art Museum was absolutely gorgeous. I learned a lot studying that building.

Rick, your incompetence is showing. Come back when you've actually worked in a firm.

Also - finished this last night. I know Donna will know the subject.

Jul 12, 16 11:38 am  · 
 · 

Ricky, I don't think it's residential... it's pretty obviously a shot from the American Folk Art museum. 

Easy to say for a New Yorker. I don't live in New York City. It's interior looks are not going to personally familiar to me.

Jul 12, 16 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ It's a pretty damn popular building and the subject of much discussion on these boards. I don't hold it against you thou, given your normal level of ignorance and all. Donna also mentioned what it was 3 posts above.

Jul 12, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: