anchor

Thread Central

There's also this eggplant dish, aka "priest fainted."

English version.

Also served cold.

Jun 28, 16 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

First time I hear (or read) lime being used for baba ghanouj. Normally, it is lemon juice. Lime is far less used in (at least our version of) Levantine dishes. But maybe it makes for a milder sweeter taste, less punch.

Jun 28, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Speaking of which, Orhan, the combo of eggplants and religion, we have this.

Monk's Salad سلطه الراهب

Jun 28, 16 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

chatter - exactly. It is sweeter and milder, and grilling the limes really brings out the sweetness and adds smoke and acidity without the tartness of lemons. 

That said, I would be curious to substitute grilled lemons to see how it came out.

Donna, yep-that's why we are grilling so much too. These past two weeks I have been doing a whole bunch of veggies that then let us do cold salads throughout the week.

If you do red or orange bell peppers on the grill, they go really well in a modified caprese salad, as do the beets. 

I've also been doing grilled bread - cut a baguette into rounds, splash with olive oil, balsamic, and sea salt. Grill. Serve whatever other veggies you are grilling on the bread. It is amazing.

Jun 28, 16 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I love beets. I think I'll be trying that recipe. The one with artichokes too. See, we need an archinect cookbook. 

Jun 28, 16 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

There are so many eggplant dishes around but my favourite is the simplest. Slice the eggplant laterally so you end up with around 10mm, 15mm slices (not too thick not too thin) and fry them up till theyre crispy on the outside. Squeeze lemon and eat with flat bread. They make for delish sandwiches. I love eggplants. Ode to eggplants.

Jun 28, 16 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sounds good. I've never been good with cooking eggplant dishes. 

Jun 28, 16 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

tintt and donna - you really got to get the veggies directly on the charcoal. The more the skin burns and chars the better both the beets and the eggplant turns out. Also helps to use some aromatic hardwood chips in the grill, too.

Jun 28, 16 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Grilled bread is my most favorite recent discovery: why is grilling it SO DELICIOUS?!?
Jun 28, 16 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

i have no idea donna, but it is sooo good.  a couple weeks ago i ate an entire baguette by myself while grilling. It was over the course of like 6 hours, but still, i gotta be more careful!

bread :: toast

toast :: grilled bread

Jun 28, 16 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

for those rainy days, grilling is essentially broiling upside down....

Jun 28, 16 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

oooo recipe exchange!

I made some fantastic cold udon noodles the other day. Perfect for the impending summer weather, and super simple!

Start by whisking soy, grated ginger, lime juice, brown sugar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes (or some Thai chili powder for awesome kick). Finely dice a red bell pepper and let it marinate in the sauce while you wait for the noodles to cook. Strain the noodles and run under cold water to stop the cooking + cool them off. Toss the noodles in, get em well coated, then mix in diced scallions and cilantro. Serve cold. 

I made about 5 meals worth and I've been taking little bowls for lunch all week. Also good with pork sausage.

Jun 28, 16 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

Before today I had about 14 weeks worth of hours to complete for IDP. After today I have 2 weeks worth of hours to complete for AXP. It will still take me 14 weeks to get them though ... I don't get many chances to do pre-design/programming & analysis work.

More than anything I'm happy I don't have to count so many different types of beans in order to track and submit the experience. Going from 17 different experience areas to 6 is refreshing.

Jun 29, 16 11:35 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Congratulations EI. Getting close.

They are reviewing my record currently... been calling every 2 days to ask if they are done in hopes that they will get tired of checking on it and just finish it up for me.

Jun 29, 16 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Arch - it took them two months to review mine. Illinois issued my license within a couple days after receiving my record. Then again, that was the first days of our current no budget era, so who knows what will happen now. 

Jun 29, 16 11:52 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

i don't even know what could possibly take ncarb so damn long. 

Jun 29, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Does anybody have any backyard grilling recipes that are good for a 4th of July weekend party? Kebabs? 

Jun 29, 16 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

corn in the husk. done......and I hate the G train, moreover going to Greenpoint, might as well goto Poland by foot......use to pouir Knob Creek on the burgers, nice sweet taste........any stray cats available for crazy clients? peace

Jun 29, 16 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

tintt - you gotta do mexican street-vendor style elote. 

Method:

Grill corn in the husk until done. (after removing silk)

Remove husk. Butter. Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder on corn. Spritz with lime juice. Sprinkle pre-shredded Cotija cheese on corn. Devour.

Jun 29, 16 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Morning all!

@tintt, ditto what Olaf Design Ninja and archanonymous said. elote is my crack....

Jun 29, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sounds great. What goes with it? I need something vegetarian too. The beets?

If I outsource my party planning, I can help with crazy clients more. 

Jun 29, 16 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

i guess you can leave the cheese off if you have vegans. 

I don't eat meat, tintt (technically a pescetarian) so my grill is usually eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, plantains, beets, garlic, corn and whole fish or shrimp kebabs. also good grilled - pineapple, bread, asparagus, carrots, cabbage, onions, broccoli.

Jun 29, 16 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

Green onions and plantains or yucca would be good. For a protein shrimp or maybe some sort of black beans/baked beans.

Jun 29, 16 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Wow. ii don't know that I have that kind of grilling skills. arch, do you ever grill salmon?

Jun 29, 16 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

yeah - Salmon is great. either on a cedar plank, in a tin-foil boat, or directly on the grill if you can get a whole salmon with skin and head still on.

Jun 29, 16 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

We often do kebabs when we have a crowd, as some can be vegetarian and some can have meat and they don't need to touch. We just did them last week, in fact, for a party for 8 people I didn't know.

I  have used this one many times, and it's delish.  Grilled fennel and garlic plus chicken and whatever other veggies you like.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mediterranean-chicken-vegetable-kebabs

Jun 29, 16 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Bank error in my favor!

Jun 29, 16 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

i live in a kebab nation in glendale, ca.  every street has a butcher or two where they marinate best kebabs ready to skewer and grill. just did one yesterday in the neighborhood park two houses away. no mess at home. i love using public spaces for early dinners right around sunset. we have a lot of mezze take outs as well. just a trip to local butcher and the mezze place and it is all set. 

Jun 29, 16 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Kebabs and mezze. Perfect. I'm so inspired. Thanks!

Jun 29, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I found this http://petapixel.com/2016/06/29/giant-shattered-lens-memorial-fallen-photographer/ - a memorial to a photographer killed by a sniper, quite a beautiful site.

Jun 29, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

thats a good kind of crack Nam....and in the fall its corn from my garden. fresh fresh corn is uber jack.....getting a wrap now with peoper turkey, grill onion, avacado, monteray jack cheese, lettuce and chipolte mayo.....second shift starts now

Jun 29, 16 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

I already had dinner, but those photos of mezze via Orhan, made my mouth water...

Night all!

Jun 30, 16 12:38 am  · 
 · 

It's Tod and Billie, y'all!!!  Wooohooo! http://www.barackobamafoundation.org/meet-the-architects

Jun 30, 16 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Morning all,

re: this quote on David Adjaye, found here

has just won the commission to turn the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard in San Francisco into a new town for 40,000 people—mostly lower income employees of Silicon Valley.

What project is this? Anyone seen other info about? I even looked on the firm website and couldn't find anything...

Jun 30, 16 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Do you guys oil and season the bread before you grill it?

Jul 1, 16 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

along the lines of my belief that grilling is broiling upside down, grilled bread is effectively garlic bread.

Jul 1, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

So not like toast where you put stuff on top afterwards?

Jul 1, 16 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
I do grilled bread like this: rub olive oil on *both* sides of sliced baguette, salt and pepper both sides, grill both sides, devour.
Jul 1, 16 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

my lower back isnt getting any better, need to start drinking or something.....and damn you all for making me hungry.....but still proposals to write and documents to issue!

Jul 1, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

tintt: I toss/ drizzle mine with olive oil and balsamic before grilling. 

Then i usually put all the grilled vegetables on top and eat it that way.

Jul 1, 16 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
I'm going to take some of these suggestions and implement this weekend. I have so nice thick pork chops from a local farm that I'm going to grill up as well. Fire and gin time!
Jul 1, 16 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

Josh,

Sounds good !!!!

Jul 1, 16 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Ugh. Go away
Jul 1, 16 7:16 pm  · 
 · 

No.... you don't get to live life happily ever after.

Jul 1, 16 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

rick. you have a problem. it is yourself. what philosophy you readding these days?

Jul 1, 16 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Grilled some bread on a charcoal grill today, awesome, amazing how much of a difference that makes

Jul 1, 16 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Rick, that's something a stalker would say.
Jul 1, 16 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I will have to recommend trying Red Lobsters' Shrimp Bruschetta it has grilled bread in it and is really good and uh stuff. I do see that we are talking about home made items so I copied and paste a recipe that all should enjoy the next time they want some grilled bread and want to spice things up a bit.  

http://blogchef.net/shrimp-bruschetta-recipe/

Jul 1, 16 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf,

Assholism..... just for those like yourself. 

If I recall correctly, an architect on one of these forums once said you have to be an asshole to be an architect. Something along that line.

Jul 2, 16 4:25 am  · 
 · 
I'm an asshole. You have to be or this profession will eat you alive. This isn't to say be mean to everyone and don't mentor, it's stand up for yourself to get where you want to go.

On the grill: dry rubbed porkchops from Slagel Farms and grilled potato and onion packets. In my cup, some yummy Death's Door Gin.
Jul 2, 16 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: