Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

@Josh, straight or with juice and/or tonic?

Happy Sat y'all!

Jul 2, 16 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Grapefruit juice. Surprisingly a damn good combination.
Jul 2, 16 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

First ever post in TC, I feel like I'm enough of a vet around these parts to be allowed in the clubhouse now.

Are there any people out here using Python (or similar programming language) directly with their work on a consistent basis? I'm curious to hear how you started with it, how you use it, and what you find as it's strengths and weaknesses.

I scored my dream job a few months back, at a firm that is very happy to foster and encourage learning on topics of computational metohds, etc, as we've found that it usually pays off in the long game. We use GH and DY on a daily basis (they are essential to our projects). I'm looking if there are ways I could start to incorporate Python more directly into the workflow.

JM - when you get on the travels later this summer (that was you going to Norway right?), attempt to pick up some bizarre gins from London at the duty-frees. There are some stellar ones here of every variety, the landscape of flavours and ingredients is truly fascinating. Also, to sooth my nationalist spirit, I recommend one called Ungava from the high Canadian arctic (Nunavut). A friend brought it to a Canada Day party and it went fast.

Jul 3, 16 4:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I second the Ungava gin. I have a bottle proudly displayed in my home bar. Pour it over a single large ice cube and keep the tonic sealed and away from sight.
Jul 3, 16 7:55 am  · 
 · 
I'll definitely pick up some Ungava. I'll see if the Gin Bar 3 blocks from me has it the next time I go.

And yes, I'm heading to Norway and Iceland in September.
Jul 3, 16 8:32 am  · 
 · 
Also very interested in the Ice Cider the makers of Ungava produce. Might have to grab some of that too.
Jul 3, 16 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Bench

If only they could change the colour from piss-yellow...

Jul 3, 16 10:40 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Gin and grapefruit juice sounds great. I bet garnishing with a bit of gInger on one of those 100 degree evenings would be about perfect. Reminds I need to learn how to make a ginger beer. That might have to wait until next summer though. Going to be fall again before we know it.

Jul 3, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I am shocked people on here like sip'in on jin and juice......lay back..lol.

I have to jump in and say grey goose and Hennessey are the only thing I drink and here is a must if you ever feel like trying something wroth your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWFkgM1wO4g  (This drink is a replacement for jin if you would like to try something a bit on the wild side)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4bnuK4W9BY  (This is a delicious drink if you ever have a female or anything she will knock this bitches back I betcha)

Jul 3, 16 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Might have to pick up some of this too - sounds pretty tasty.

https://www.vorgin.is
Jul 3, 16 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Be sure to pick up everything you need in the airport duty-free, alcohol prices in Iceland are offensive. $12 for a beer, sure why not!

Jul 3, 16 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Bench it's nice to see you here. Sorry I have no response on your Python question - I've never used it.
Jul 4, 16 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Bench - Have a look at this https://automatetheboringstuff.com/

Jul 5, 16 8:40 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Bench, It has been two jobs in as many years since I regularly used true scripting in my workflow... mostly RhinoScript (python) and Processing (java script) in addition to Grasshopper.  

I still use Grasshopper fairly frequently but have found that as it has matured there are less and less things I need to write myself. I still like the freedom it gives, but considering I never really got "proficient" with scripting and always have to reference prior art and do a bunch of tests, I prefer GH.

Things like recursive panel replacement and facade rationalization are easier to run as scripts - GH doesn't deal well with recursion. 

Curious how you incorporate Dynamo on a regular basis?... I find it pretty clunky.

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July and still has all their digits!

Jul 5, 16 9:57 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

dynamo is a dressed up version of c# isn't it?

Jul 5, 16 10:04 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Dynamo is Python and C#.

Jul 5, 16 10:20 am  · 
 · 

Oh lord. I hear you guys talking about these things and feel like I should just go get a job as an in-house kitchen designer at Home Depot. I'm sure I could learn the KraftMaid proprietary kitchen planning software!

Jul 5, 16 10:36 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Application for state licensure sent off - NCARB sent my green cover after only 8 days of my calling them every day to bother them about it.

Just hope i filled out everything OK and there are no issues at the application review. Considering the state, maybe it would have helped to slip a $100 bill into the envelope in addition to the application fee.

Jul 5, 16 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Bench
Congrats AA! I'm about 30% through my Canadian axp or whatever they're calling it this year. So damn far to go....

I should clarify. We use Dynamo mainly as an extension to BIM, particularly with strings, etc to schedule our specific parts of our CDs. I have never seen anyone here actually use it for legitimate modelling purposes, as (I agree) it is way too clunky. I'm sceptical that it could ever attain the finesse of GH. Our most advanced parametric guy is staunchly opposed to any design work in revit, as he views it as a 100% CD tool, and that all our design work should be done via RH/GH. Perhaps that's somewhat narrow minded, but he does make some good points about it. Generally I would actually agree with his theories on that type of production. That being said, we work our project delivery in revit/navis. I'm speculatively interested in Python for trying more recursive looping strategies as a method to approach geometry in a more intelligent way.

Donna, I'm fortunate enough to get work where this kind of stuff is extremely relevant; I'm not convinced it should be used everywhere. But hey - I only started picking up parametrics and coding almost 2 years after finishing undergrad, completely self-taught; I highly recommend it!

But screw it - time to have some beers, settle back to see one of my favourite Canuck bands play a small venue in shoreditch and celebrate the fact that I just signed a killer flat sublet in an amazing part of London at a price I can actually afford! The struggle is real!
Jul 5, 16 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I agree, Revit isn't a design tool. No matter how much they tout that the building toolset could be used as a design tool...its way too limiting to design anything other than an obscure dildo shaped building. Its 100% for CD, Dynamo is alright however it should still be used as a way to easily create CD stuff that isn't necessarily easy or possible with vanilla Revit.

Bench - How did you pick up coding and what did you start with?

Jul 5, 16 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

"These days seeing the hard line of the horizon makes me think not about the EDGE of the world but about the edgelessness of it."

John Green talking about the middle.

Jul 5, 16 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Anyone here over the age of 30? What do you regret not doing in your 20s, seriously contemplating what I should do or not do so I don't end up a regretful bastard.

Jul 6, 16 2:42 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i've been over 30 for far too long

i don't think i'm carrying any regrets.  probably because i have a bad memory.

i guess if i was to give you my sage advice, it would be to decide who you want to be, then be that person.  when you mess up, don't be mad at yourself.  just admit a mistake is a mistake, or a bad decisions is a bad decision, and do what you can to get yourself back on the path to being who you want to be.

Jul 6, 16 9:08 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I was thinking on the lines of, "more holidays"...

Jul 6, 16 9:24 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Anyone here over the age of 30? What do you regret not doing in your 20s, seriously contemplating what I should do or not do so I don't end up a regretful bastard.

Neither a borrower or lender be...  Don't be anyone's debt slave.  Its about the only freedom anyone has left.  Live simply.  Be nimble.  Be able to say Eff-You.

Jul 6, 16 9:46 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I did a lot in my 20's, only I wasn't thinking on living past 30. Now I'm 10 years behind but I'm also 10 years happier.

Jul 6, 16 10:32 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Just turned 30.  Was told I am now old.

What were we talking about? 

Jul 6, 16 11:47 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

old; depends... are you trying to pick up chicks at the bar? Yes, old.  Otherwise, No.   That starts at 40

Jul 6, 16 11:53 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

you would have to reconcile 'more holidays' with 'don't be a debt slave.'

Jul 6, 16 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I turned 30 in January. The biggest change in the past couple of years for me is making peace with the fact that there are things I will never do, and instead focusing on becoming great at the things I'm already doing.

20s are for jack-of-all-trades exploration, at 30 I felt like I was 'picking a major' for the rest of my life.

Jul 6, 16 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

Not going to lie, one of the big things about being 30 is that when dating a lot of people want to get married and have kids right away...and I don't. So I tend to date younger, which has its own issues.

The goal for my 30s is to do all the things I wanted to do when I was broke in my 20s, like paint, go to Iceland, travel more, experience life, etc...

Jul 6, 16 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

That's the thing, I'm actually not broke because I chose to go into BIM instead of interning as an architect assistant. I want to do everything my mother couldn't do when she was young.

Jul 6, 16 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The most life-changing thing I got out of my 20's was a shitload of travel. Go everywhere time & money will allow, and some places beyond that.

Jul 6, 16 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

The following is posted under the following title, Architectural Design Associate – 4+ years:

"McClellan Architects is seeking an ambitious architectural design associate with minimum 8 years of experience." 

Does anybody else see the discontinuity, or am I the only one who thinks that something doesn't quite match up? Does this mean that if I apply I can say I'd like a salary of $40k+, but require a minimum of $80k ... is that how this works?

Jul 7, 16 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Alton Sterling, Philando Castile. I just feel so fucking hopeless. 

Jul 7, 16 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

^ Ditto that. Architects are supposed to be optimists by nature, but I'm pretty much convinced that humanity in general and American society in particular are headed straight down the shitter. It makes me wonder why we even bother.

Jul 7, 16 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

If you're part of the privileged class you get immunity

If you're part of the unwashed masses you get taxes and death

Jul 7, 16 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

So much for that "2nd Amendment is our best defense against a tyrannical state" argument the NRA loves to throw around.

Unsurprisingly they've been pretty quiet the last two days.

Jul 7, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

I felt really hopeless over the weekend when a kid was shot next to a project that I worked on. There isn't much to affordable housing without the hope that you are impacting someone's life.

Pretty bummed out about it, especially with it being the second time it has happened. 

Jul 7, 16 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

Excerpt from TWBTA philosophy statement:

We see architecture as an act of profound optimism.

Its foundation lies in believing that it is possible to make places on the earth that can give a sense of grace to life—and believing that this matters. It is what we have to give and it is what we leave behind.

I thought it was important when I first read it, and think it's important after the news the past couple of days and months, maybe years. Keep doing good work and keep working to get better; it matters even when it feels like it doesn't. We never know how many we positively (or negatively) impact with the work. At least that's what I tell myself...

Jul 7, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

As if the day weren't shitty enough, a very close friend of mine just got laid off from her administrative position at Northern Kentucky University. She's incredibly smart, passionate about higher education, and worked her ass off for seven years just to land that job. But my home state elected a teabilly Jesus freak governor who despises the entire concept of education, and has slashed education funding by drastic amounts. But at least that monument to human stupidity gets to keep its state tax breaks.

I'm so incredibly filled with rage, and I feel completely powerless to do anything about it.

Jul 7, 16 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

That's beautiful, Andrew. TWBTA are so, so good, not just in their work, but in how they speak and live.

So I am on vacation (but working, OF FUCKING COURSE, on a permit set) so I didn't record the podcast this week, which we record on Wednesday nights. Which means this week I get to listen to it like everyone else does, fresh and without prior knowledge! I'm excited to do so. But I won't until tomorrow morning, when I'm sober. My dad makes killer margaritas, and although I can draft while drunk, I don't think I can draft AND drink AND listen to a podcast simultaneously. 

Jul 7, 16 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Oh god David. Kentucky is so screwed under that idiot. I love Kentucky.

Jul 7, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

I love Kentucky's natural scenery and the bourbon, but the political and religious culture makes me want to puke my brains out. My friend would've moved away years ago if she didn't have to take care of her ailing parents.

Jul 7, 16 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDvQ77JP8nw

Jul 7, 16 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Just to lighten up the humor some more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBjelRDKHUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mje5EujuWMU - a longer line of comedy fun.

Jul 7, 16 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi7tAstoV70

Jul 7, 16 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Go fuck off and die in a fire, Balkins.

Jul 7, 16 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

Q: based on the TWBCA quote-

Optimism is a social if not political position. Given how often you hear people make the argument that architecture is not a social practice, how do you argue the need for optimism (not optimization veiled as optimism)?

Jul 7, 16 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: