Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

glad to hear i ain't decrepit yet.  sounds like you got rotten end of stick.

at least the costume you made came out cool!

Oct 31, 11 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

$80 tab? That's like a six pack at a bar in Canada. I got 2 pints at a crappy bar on Saturday and paid $19 with tip. I miss the American boozy ways. Scratch that. Canadian drinking culture is retarded. Pre drink at home. Show up to bar trashed. Drink more. Get kicked out at 2. Puke and/or get in a fistfight.  Having high taxes on addictive substances can have the opposite of desired affect. See Finland. And now that it's such a cash cow prices are never coming down.

Sarah, did Mr. Manitoba puke and/or try to fight you?

Oct 31, 11 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

Seriously, someone spent the night sitting at your table then had their drinks put on YOUR tab?  That's just gross and sleazy.  Even moreso knowing it was mid-50s men sitting with mid-20s women.  I need some brain bleach.  

Oct 31, 11 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

No, rusty, Mr. Manitoba was really from minnasotta Wisconsin or something. He did give me a hug, though.

Oct 31, 11 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

@rusty, my younger brother (also living in japan but with more interesting job) was amazed when he went to first party in japan and there was no fight.  canadian parties ALWAYS have a fist fight.  it's like a rule.  here everyone just goes to sleep.  often on the train.  sometimes in bushes.

Nov 1, 11 6:11 am  · 
 · 
****melt

That has got to be the shitties thing I've heard in a long time SH.  Sorry that the d-bags did that to you.  So shady and low.  What is wrong with people these days?

Will - between you and new BF/future husband, who lived in Japan for 7 years, my desire to visit has become almost insatiable.  We watched Ramen Girl this weekend and it was all I could do not to hop on a plane and go.  Hopefully some day soon we will return to the city he holds in such high regard (Tokyo).

Nov 1, 11 8:38 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

SH - I wouldn't be surprised if the bartender wasn't in on it too.  was that the first time you went to that place?

Nov 1, 11 9:22 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Just hanging today....listening to all the things that are closed....damn it is taking them and hour to go thru the list.  It would make more sense to list what is open and then say assume everything else is closed.  Gas lines at the pump didn't seem so long this morning when I popped out to go to the bank.  I figure just cause everything sucks here at the moment, the Banks will continue to function in a money making fashion. With it being the first of the month, I did need to move some money just not to bounce checks...

Nov 1, 11 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'd been there before, Toast, but I don't get to go out too often.  

And I loved that movie.  I just wished I could've watched it with Jump, you know, to ask questions, and such.  That's just how I roll, always asking questions.

So Abe just can't figure out this whole Trick or Treat thing.  Every house we went to, he'd say "Happy Halloween!"  Poor kid can figure out 100 Pc puzzles, but Trick or Treat confuses the heck out of him.

Nov 1, 11 10:12 am  · 
 · 

hi all! so i lost my keys and found all within the course of the morning so far. but only after i got to work late.

snook glad to hear you made it through. I assume schools closed?

Sarah what a dick move. I wonder if the bartender saw them sitting at your table so just assumed they were on your bill or if the dudes told them to put them on...

Nov 1, 11 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

No excuse, Nam.  We called the guys out on it, and they denied it all.  Besides, anybody that goes by J.T. is a douchebag anyway.

Nov 1, 11 10:56 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Nam,  ya no school.... a large portion of the state  is struggling with power outages:

No school, no alot of things:  http://www.cl-p.com/outage/mobile.aspx

Nov 1, 11 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

keep safe all you folks without power and all the rest. 

melt, you should come then !  would love to play host although with a 7 year veteran you wouldn't need any guide, which makes it much more awesome and easy to be here.

never saw the ramen girls movie.  guess will have to now.

Nov 1, 11 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

It's a bit of a girl movie, Will.  

Nov 1, 11 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
dia

A bit of an personal update - I am now self-employed!

Left my job last week and now working from home and around Auckland. Very busy, a lot of interesting prospects, and finally putting my money where my mouth is. So I am now operating 3 businesses: a prefab start-up, a prefab agency and a design and management consultancy.

This is day 3 of the rest of my self employed life...

Nov 1, 11 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow!  Good Luck, and have fun!

Nov 1, 11 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

awesome dia... good luck!

Nov 1, 11 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

dia, once you are self-employed, it is impossible to go back. Congrats!

Nov 1, 11 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Nam, I just found my keys that have been missing since June!

Nov 1, 11 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Wow, dia, huge congratualtions!  I've been pondering lately what my life would be like if I were to be an employee again and thereisnothere is right - it seems impossible to go back again.  You will love it, I'm sure - stress and endless hours and all.  Let me know when you need an enthusiastic employee!

I was under the impression the pre-fab work was for an employer or partnership - I must have been wrong, was that all your own side work?  Fantastic!

Nov 1, 11 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
dia

No, ARKit is my good friends business, I am an enthusiastic supporter, and erstwhile NZ agent - I help out where I can. Working on a kindergarten office at the moment.

I have another start up called Analog Structures which is like ARKit lite - minimal prefab structures.

So much to do... But the phone keeps ringing, lots of referals, and plenty of work

Nov 1, 11 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I've had a search, but I cant find the thread about the archinector who has started up a software/web application that looks at specifications or project management or something like that. Any clues> It was in the last 12-18 months.

Nov 1, 11 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

It was started by Gregory Walker, I believe.

Nov 1, 11 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Congrats diabase!

Here's the thread you are looking for. Just don't call him a bastard.

Nov 1, 11 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

dia - yes, that was a thread i started.... rusty has it pegged. (and rusty, if the shoe fits, it's all good...)

Nov 1, 11 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

(and the software's live, if anyone wants to see it. we haven't really done a hard launch just yet. soon, though.  trying to figure out the best way to get it out there). 

Nov 1, 11 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

very cool dia.  congrats!

Nov 1, 11 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

dia - congrats and good luck!

On the research side of the 'nect, I just created a Zotero group to be a clearinghouse for bibliographic info about sustainable landscapes, infrastructure, and cities; integrating ecosystem services; urban heat island mitigation; landscape urbanism; or other related topics (passivhaus & energy modeling welcome).

https://www.zotero.org/groups/zero_plus_landscapes

If you are academically inclined and want to become a member, drop me a note via Zotero. (My Zotero user name is blehrman).

Nov 2, 11 12:31 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

congrats dia!  Someday I hope to be in your shoes.  Pave that way!

"Occupy" came up in conversation today and my boss rolled her eyes and said "GET A JOB."  It was so depressing I didn't know what to say.

Nov 2, 11 1:28 am  · 
 · 
dia

thanks guys, that was what I am looking for. One of my projects will be looking at a design management application for use by architects and designers, and I wanted to look at this as a potential precedent.

Meeting with an IP analyst and a funder tomorrow.

Gregory, we might need to talk. Architects should be at the forefront of innovation in the built environment.

D

Nov 2, 11 4:40 am  · 
 · 

dia - anytime.

Nov 2, 11 8:22 am  · 
 · 

manta, tell your boss most of the people at my Occupy have more than one job yet we still manage to find time to stand up for what we think is right - what does she think is right?

Your post actually resonates exactly with what I posted about Occupy HMC.  Don't feel like I'm challenging you to explain your work environment nay further, I don't want you to be concerned about being outed or anything, but I think in this economic climate people with jobs are feeling pressured to hang on to them at any expense.  I don't miss the design quality of the architecture pre-recession (that air-conditioned beach in Dubai, remember that?!) but I do miss people feeling like they had the ability to move around.

Nov 2, 11 8:51 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

donna - I don't think people who have good jobs realize just how lucky they are. many people still believe in the mythology of "if you work hard, you'll be successful" - well... it's true that it increases your odds, but there is are a lot of other factors - like the family you were born into, where you grew up, your health, etc... 

Nov 2, 11 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I don't really understand the occupy wallstreet thing. I agree that the classes are vastly different, but I'm not sure what the people are trying do. I think I'll go read that thread.

Nov 2, 11 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ok, that thread didn't help. And completely off subject: somebody's car in the school pickup lane sounds like a damn Peter pan clock.

Nov 2, 11 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Honestly Sarah a lot of it is about getting the attention of politicians. It's saying "Hey, we know those rich guys pay you a ton of money to make laws that help them get richer, and we don't have money to pay you but there are a whole lot of us and we should matter to you too, so consider US when you're doing your job." It's about feeling like the whole political/financial system is incestuous and like nobody is looking out for most of us, they're only looking out for themselves and the people who are lining their pockets.

</political rant>

Nov 2, 11 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Sarah, consider your own non-existent career opportunities. Now consider that millions are in the same boat as you. Then consider that financial institutions and large corporations have been raking in record profits and sitting on piles of cash. The perpetual 20% (real) unemployment then becomes part of the new business model. 

There is little accountability and no contingency plans for sustainable economy. Chaos is just too darn profitable. 

Some of us are not ok with it. We hope people like Sarah join us along the way. There are free organic carrots at each occupy! Can't beat that. 

Nov 2, 11 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I do like carrots....  Are you providing ranch dressing to dip them in, too?

It may be strange, but I don't blame anybody for me not having an architecture job.  The economy just crashed, and that was that.  Maybe I don't know enough behind the scenes stuff.  On the contrary, I do blame my state legislation for my lack of Teaching job.  They were the ones that voted against the use of funds set aside for such things, and even the business leaders were rallying for education.

Really, I just must not know enough of the backstory.  I get the anger at bankers, they had a government bailout, and then got bonuses, but are all the 1% bankers?

Nov 2, 11 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Also consider: you took out a mortgage based on an honest representation of your financial situation.  If you were dishonest and thus had trouble paying the loan back, you would be in legal trouble.  

Wall Street took money based on dishonest representations of their financial status, then lost that money.  They are not only not in legal trouble, they were given taxpayer money to keep themselves out of any legal trouble.

Nov 2, 11 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

And, to add: the economy didn't JUST crash.  It crashed because bankers/Wall Street were lying, then when they realized how much of the whole system was based on lies they made bets that allowed them to benefit because it got worse for everyone else.

Nov 2, 11 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

No ranch dressing. You eat the carrot with dirt and all.

This is about moving forward more so than shifting blame. The bailout financial institutions were given was meant to go towards stimulating economy. Almost 3 years later it has become obvious that banks have no interest in lending money and are busy gambling in high risk markets instead. 

Long term forecasts are as bleak as ever. People hoarding money don't give a fuck. Global financial markets have gone supernova. Even in best case scenario, we are still fucked. 

1% vs. 99% is just a slogan. Of course it's more complex than that. 

Nov 2, 11 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

The Wall Street bankers are just a great example of the overall situation. They have the money to gain undue influence, then those they influence make them richer at the expense of the rest of us. They're easy to point a finger at, but the problem is definitely bigger than just them.

Nov 2, 11 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

sarah - the economy crashed because politicians relaxed regulation on banks, banks were able to essentially launder bad loans and sell them off to investors as "solid investments"  which increased the market for these bad loans (i.e. which meant extra incentive to give mortgages to people who should have had no business getting these loans in the first place) then these same d-bags turned around and bet that everyone was going to default on these loans - but once people caught on to their game things got out of control and the market crashed.  so instead of being hog-tied and dragged off to the gallows, your boy dubya slapped them on the wrist and handed them a few billion dollars to "fix things" and then they gave themselves giant bonuses for a job well done.

the part people are most pissed off about is that all of this gambling affected the rest of us disproportionately (aka, the 99%) and we've yet to recover - and the current government seems to not understand just how much we're all hurting and how much worse things have gotten over the past 30 years.  and instead of trying to help out americans who have fallen on hard times these guys are proposing cutting social services and finding more ways to hand taxpayer money over to very the same people who f-ed us over in the first place.  (lower the debt!  end handouts!  support "job creators!")

of course a lot of people at these events are only able to understand how they've been personally affected (student loans, healthcare costs, lack of decent job opportunities, underwater mortgages) and just want a place to be heard - but I think the main goal is to point out that we all really need to help each other out right now - and that we should make it a lot harder for people to get rich by exploiting other people.

Nov 2, 11 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Nice explanation, toaster.  Also, people are really becoming aware that middle class wages have not risen at all in the last 30 years, while income for those at the top has exploded: in 1970, the average CEO made about 40 times as much as the average worker, in 2000 the average CEO made 1040x - that one thousand forty times  - as much the average worker.  This while tax rates at the highest levels have gone down and cost of living has skyrocketed.

Nov 2, 11 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Then, isn't it up to the worker to demand higher wages?  I realize that they probably don't feel like they can during a recession with lots of unemployed people just waiting to pounce on a job, and although I'm not particularly pro-union, isn't that the same basic fight they had?  United we stand, better wages and living conditions for all?  See, now I'm making it sound all Bolsh-y

Toaster, and all, those were nice explanations.  I'm understanding it all a bit better.  Don't think for a minute that I'm against all the occupiers, I'm not, it just seemed like camping to me.

Nov 2, 11 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

Unions have been busted up everywhere.  I'm not totally pro-union either - money in politics ALWAYS leads to someone abusing their power.  And union wages are supposed to mean a good standard of living - 30 years ago a union worker could have a nice house, financial stability, and send their kids to college, all while the boss at the company could have a nicer house, a second vacation house, a nicer car, and send their kids to Ivies.  I hesitate to use the word "fair", but I do believe the situation above is good and fair: the people taking on the most risk - heads of companies - get the most reward, and the people who keep the operation running get stability and a nice life followed by a nice retirement.

The average non-union worker now has no financial stability, little chance of a decent retirement, face bankruptcy if they get cancer, and their kids will be in debt to their eyeballs for state college.  The average company head, on the other hand, has six houses, six cars, buys their underachieving kids' way into Ivies, and if they need a liver transplant they just buy a house in every state so they can be on 50 lists for transplants (I heard Steve Jobs did this.).  Again, I hesitate to use the word "fair", but on some fundamental level this scenario is not fair.

Remember the thread here about the firm owners who just bought a $3.5 million penthouse in Manhattan but wouldn't pay even stipends to their interns?  On some level that is just not fair, and not right.  But we as a culture - on every level, from people to institutions to politicians to media outlets - have come to accept this extreme level of economic diversity (and I'm not even touching on actual poor people) as being unchallengeable.  The Occupy protests are about challenging those accepted relationships.  

So back to your theoretical worker who could just ask for a higher wage: unless the company power structure has reason to fear losing this warm body, they have no incentive to try to keep him/her.  When they have to fear losing ALL their workers at once, their risk is higher if they say no.  So by getting (buying) politicians to pass laws that prevent unions from forming, they lose their fear.

Nov 2, 11 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

It's all starting to come together.  You guys rock!

Nov 2, 11 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Then, isn't it up to the worker to demand higher wages? 

not that simple - if individuals went to management they could counter with "everyone else makes less" or "so and so agreed to work without benefits" or "everyone else works 90 hours a week) and so forth... also often in these large organizations you have people conspiring to keep you down so that they can justify their higher pay.  people keep talking about "merit pay," but it only works in places where people are largely honest and management is capable of correctly discerning an employee's worth (it's too easy to play favorites, etc..).  collective bargaining (i.e. unions) not only provides "workers" a means to gain more equitable pay, but also helps protect them against exploitative work conditions.  I think architects are relatively pretty good about paying and treating their employees well - I think mostly because they know that there is a limited pool of individuals who are capable of performing that particular work, and they understand (for the most part) that attracting and keeping talent increases their bottom line.  other organizations tend to take a more adversarial view of their employees - especially unskilled and low-skilled labor - and also career public employees who may espouse a different political view from those who are in charge - and are prone to treat them poorly.

Nov 2, 11 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

'How to parent' guide by a Texas judge. (Warning:very disturbing video in the article)

Sarah is this all over the local news yet? It should be.

Nov 2, 11 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Judge Adams: "Fucking computers. I didn't want one in my house. See all the problems they caused?"

Oh, you are about to find out the full power of computers buddy. 

Nov 2, 11 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: