Archinect
anchor

Occupy HMC

Archinect

What do you guys think about HMC's halloween party?

(link)

Funny? Or in the same category as this?

Oct 31, 11 8:13 pm
Rusty!

Oct 31, 11 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It's neither.

It's not funny, it's just lazy, in the great tradition of lazy people everywhere throwing together a "costume" at the last minute with zero preparation and a timely topic to spoof.  Neither is it that great sin against humanity insensitive.

It just looks like a few architecture folks having some fun.  Good for them!

Oct 31, 11 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

Not as bad as the foreclosure firm's costumes slamming on people losing their homes.  If architecture folks were to do costumes making fun of our clients, it would be slightly questionable, potentially very funny (to us) and definitely NOT kicking people who are already way, way down.

What I wondered looking at those pictures of HMC is this: if I were still an employee, would I be comfortable openly telling my firm of employment that I support the Occupy movement and even attended one of the events?  Or would my fear of appearing to be somehow "radical" and "anti-establishment" or whatever non-supporters think of the Occupiers cause me to hide my opinion?  If a firm is going to lay someone off, are they more likely to lay off the one who seems like an anti-capitalist agitator, even if I have mad CAD skills?

Oct 31, 11 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
SuperKing

In the same category as that

Look ma how casual Friday, creative and free to break the rules our corporate office culture is! Occupy HMC?? It is just fun fun fun. 

Lame. 

Nov 1, 11 12:02 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

And in the Year 12 of the Revolution, the Occupiers came for the last Hipster, who was promptly hauled before the General Assembly at Zuccotti Park and handed the usual sentence of Reeducation Through De-Hipsterization ;)

Nov 1, 11 12:22 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

citizen - "making fun" of a particular group of people based on their ideology/political affiliation in an office setting is a potential lawsuit.  I don't think it's as bad as everyone putting on blackface (or as insensitive as what that mortgage company did), but I believe in a handful of states this would fall under their anti-discrimination laws.  you definitely couldn't do this if you worked for any public/government agency (nor could they fire you for your political activities).

Nov 1, 11 11:30 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Toaster,

Let's face it, everything is a potential lawsuit... but that wasn't the question.  Paul asked if we thought it was funny or offensive.  My opinion is that it's neither.  Rusty's response, however, is friggin' hilarous.

Nov 1, 11 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Looks like a bad episode of The Office. Now if this happened on Parks and Rec, it would be much more inflammatory.

Nov 1, 11 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Bad accessories, actually owning fold-up chairs, light faux wood paneling, carpet tiles?

I would never hire this firm.

Nov 2, 11 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Insensitive.  my office has the same carpet tile (except greener).  (it is, in fact, greener on this side of the fence).

Nov 2, 11 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
mbcube

Having survived 2 years there, I'm glad I'm gone.

Nov 9, 11 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: