Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

LOL... I was out of the 'office' doing some other work and tomorrow, I'll have a few other tasks to do and then work on the next stuff to be done. 

JBeaumont,

In this day and age, you look up anybody and you'll find that everyone has negative trait. Everyone has it. Everyone when pressed or pestered enough by someone or a group of people will get annoyed and they will find themselves using some strong words.

Anyone who claims they don't ever.... is a liar. 

Aug 7, 15 3:03 am  · 
 · 
midlander

I don't honestly see that the level of civility on this site has dropped at all. Since I've lurked here it's always been fairly low. I think that's one reason I like it. That said, there are some people who are consistently fair and honest, seems silly to flame them. Aim your ferocious wit towards the ones who can enjoy that.

But it does seem to lack some of the humor and levity of past times. Many of the happy entertaining posters disappeared during the bad years.

Aug 7, 15 6:57 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Went to Night Market Lancaster Ave (Philadelphia) last night;  essentially a food trucks festival.  Tried lots of stuff and finished everything my kids didn't like.  The Calle del Sabor tacos were the best.

Aug 7, 15 7:23 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Donna, it went differently than I expected. I think maybe I figured it'd be like a desk crit. I'd show him my drawings, he'd get excited, we'd talk about options, and then we'd talk about what he was bringing to the table (permitting, CDs, ca, ect), and of course, fee.

Instead, he brought a legal pad, and pen, looked at my drawings, asked how I felt about a ladder, said he'd look into zoning, and would send me a proposal by Monday. And then he asked wear I went to school, and made a comment about me "knowing just enough to be dangerous." And that was that.

Is that how this thing usually goes? It left me feeling kinda disappointed.
Aug 7, 15 8:07 am  · 
 · 
Schoon

JeromeS, I was right there, hanging out in the Saxby's on the corner and vigorously typing a traffic report. After which of course I stopped by the waffle truck...

Aug 7, 15 8:37 am  · 
 · 

Sarah, that sounds very typical for a first meeting. I rarely discussed options with clients until after they'd approved my proposal - you're skirting the line of giving away free work otherwise.  And I'm certain I've jokingly used the exact phrase "know just enough to be dangerous" with potential clients before. No worries, sounds like it went like it should have.

Aug 7, 15 8:57 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Sarah, Granted it's a garage, but helps prove my point I've been trying to make on the AIA thread... did he even tell you his name? Think I would have made the most of the meeting, a little arm waving, some sketching, testing out ideas and left you feeling that had just met a real architect and not a clerk... don't feel bad, there are about 2,000 clerks out there, they're not hard to stumble into.... you just stumbled into one of our order-takers.... you're right Donna, "very typical".

Aug 7, 15 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sarah, I want to believe that you can hire a contractor you can trust to fill in the gaps that you don't know. If you don't feel excited about your project after meeting with the architect, you don't have to hire him and shouldn't. Just my opinion.

Aug 7, 15 9:41 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I found the FU's funny, mostly because they made no sense, but otherwise I don't have much tolerance for the "meanness."  

If you wouldn't say it in person you should type in online. 

Aug 7, 15 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Yes, he did tell me his name, and he's one of the two principles of the firm, I just didn't want to call him out on here. Seems wrong.

And I get what you're saying Donna, but it seems there should be some sort of wow factor; maybe a bit of jumping in, even if it's done in blitz/vague sketching form. Building something is such an emotional event, like having a baby — you're bringing something into the world at great expense. Itseems it would be good to as the architect/doula to be excited for the client.
Aug 7, 15 10:18 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't think a garage is going to be a high profit project for an architect.  just as good chance they will wind up losing money since their margins are likely to be very tight.  that's certainly no excuse for not caring about the project, but i think it does mean you shouldn't be expecting a starchitect to spend his day fawning over you.

if you want to hire someone to wave their arms around like a monkey, then hire someone to wave their arms around like a monkey.  maybe a personal life coach or something like that.  do they do that?  architects design buildings.  if you feel like this guy won't be able to do that, then find someone else.

there is likely an advantage to going design-build if you know of a group who does that, but it's hard to find trustworthy contractors.  part of the architect's job is to look out for the owner's interest.  in my opinion it's probably worth paying someone to let you know if things don't seem right.

Aug 7, 15 11:50 am  · 
 · 

Here are two sentences:

"Your house is gorgeous, making some changes to it seems not only plausible but a great investment, and I'm really excited at the prospect of working with you on it.  I'll send you a fee proposal."

"Your house is gorgeous, knocking out this wall seems totally plausible, if you continue the stone flooring material between the two spaces and turn this area into a matching butler's pantry it will be a great investment, and I'm really excited at the prospect of working on it with you.  I'll send you a proposal."

One of those sentences is something they can take to a builder and skip me entirely; one isn't. I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but I've also been burned by people who take ideas I give them from an initial meeting and all I get is a phone call saying "We've decided to go in a different direction" which invariably means I don't want to pay your fee so I'm skipping you but thx for the ideas!

Aug 7, 15 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

;.......( and another clown dies.

Aug 7, 15 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Schoon- whadda ya know! 

Aug 7, 15 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Sarah, as curtkram says, its a garage...At least you got the principal.  At my old firm, I handled all of that work on my own and was not even a titled "architect".  I did try to do some arm waving and sketching to make up for my titular inadequacy.

The other problem I think with this kind of work is; its your baby.  To continue the analogy, you've had 9 months to dream about it, what it will look like, can I afford it, will everything work out, etc.  You can't wait for the birth and the fulfillment of all that baggage.  For lots of clients, this may be the first and only thing they ever build.

On the other hand,  he's seen hundreds, can probably document what you want in an afternoon (if he has any chance of making any money on the work).  Even if he hopes to do a quality job, with some sort of duty/responsibility to the built environment, its dust on the scale.

Aug 7, 15 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna,

Posting this link just in case your in my hood: 

https://www.facebook.com/ArethusaFarm?fref=nf

Just think all this money raised goes to College Agriculture Students.

Aug 7, 15 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

define "integrity" for an internet forum.

Aug 7, 15 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
You're exactly right, Jerome. This is huge for me. I'm not rich, and if it's wrong, I'm stuck with it.

Actually, husband nearly choked on the estimated $3,000 fee, and doesn't understand why we need him. Why can't I send my drawings to an engineer to be finished for the city. Honestly, if the architect isn't going to handle zoning code permitting and CA, I'm not sure either, anymore. I mean, some of you have seen my drawings. DO I need an architect if it has to go to structural anyway.

I'm clearly becoming neurotic about this.
Aug 7, 15 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

sarah, i sketch stuff like that for $500 for friends and then they go and pull their own permits........quondam link it,nothing that perso said was genuine so i can not say i would care.

Aug 7, 15 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

and if it's wrong, I'm stuck with it.

Wait a minute - didn't you already draw it?

Aug 7, 15 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Structural? Really? Code isn't too difficult to decipher. Yeah you have highly unstable soil, but you don't need to drop 3k for a garage design. You said you have a few years of experience, you can probably do it.

Aug 7, 15 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

Let me get this straight... I'm entirely confused about this garage situation? Sarah, what do you need? This should be done in a heart beat.

This should be something that's done and a given. This isn't a Taj Mahal for crying out loud.

Construction Administration is likely not something an architect or even a building designer is going to do on a project like a simple garage but it depends on the particular project and quality of the contractor doing the work. 

I'm a little bit at awe with this. Sarah, what state is this project located. If someone knows the answer, just let me know. This way, I can see what the laws are. I'm not committing myself to anything aside from being able to look up the correct legal context.

Aug 7, 15 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

calatrava designed the taj mahal...balkins doppelganger is on tonight show...steve Buscemi

Aug 7, 15 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Hey Buschemi got his start in an NYFD firehouse, Context!

Aug 7, 15 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, just PM me the answer to the question and then I'll respond directly here or PM at discretion. These jerks will just derail the topic at hand to some nonsense.  

Aug 8, 15 12:10 am  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

What is it that you want the architect to do re zoning code that you can't do?  He'll verify the zone that you're in, read the rules, and determine one of:

A. Everything you want to do is permitted outright.

B. Your project isn't permitted, but it's because of  something easily correctable - i.e. you need to move it 4 feet in one direction and you have space to do that, or it's 2 feet too tall, or garages with gable roofs in this zone must have the doors on a gable end... that sort of thing.  Or, your project isn't permitted outright, but it's a conditional use - which means you'll have to go in front of the DRB or something similar and argue your case.  You can do that yourself too.

C. There's some major zoning issue - in which case either a variance will be required or the project isn't doable. For example, your project can't possibly fit within the setbacks, or garages aren't allowed in your subdivision, or something like that.

If C, you'd be better off doing this legwork yourself so that if the project is impossible you aren't paying someone else to find that out.  If the project is doable you can fill out the paperwork and get the zoning permit yourself.

Re CA:  Where I practice, an architect is required to do CA on anything on for which the architect provides CDs.  That may be part of the what this architect's fee was based on.  It doesn't matter if the garage doesn't require an architect by law - if I'm a licensed architect and I do the CDs I have to provide at least minimum CA on that project.

Again: you can probably do that yourself, with no architect.

It doesn't sound like you need an architect's help with design (you can do that, and already did), or zoning (you can do that yourself, and should) or CA (the project is probably too simple to require it - except that if you hire an architect he may be required to provide it anyway.)

Its sounds like you do need a structural engineer, or at least would be wise to involve one.  Interview a couple.  Their fees for the structural design alone may be as high as this architect's fee - but they can do the only necessary part of this that you can't.

Once you get a builder on board the builder can pull the building permit.

Ditch the architect.

Aug 8, 15 12:14 am  · 
 · 

I agree with JBeaumont's statement. 

All essential points I agree with him. I'll make it clear, depending on the particular state, an architect may or may not be required to do C.A. 

It is not required in Oregon for exempt buildings as an example. Verify with the licensing board of the state where the project is located if the architect is required to provide construction administration. If the architect is licensed in that state and it is required and he refuses to provided construction administration then you have a valid complaint for misconduct. However, if it isn't required, it is probably because the project is too simple and small that construction administration/observation/supervision is not required and any decent builder should be able to do this without hand holding.

I am not sure if a structural engineer is required but most residential garages really don't need one when prepared by a competent design professional ( licensed or unlicensed ). 

I haven't seen the garage design to say which way to go but I would lean on siding with JBeaumont in your case because Sarah, I don't think you feel confident about structural design and calculations. At least that is the vibe I am getting. I could be mistaken. If you are competent with calculations then it shouldn't be a problem. 

Aug 8, 15 12:58 am  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

Richard I've worked in OR and that's an oversimplification of Oregon's stance on architects' supervision responsibilities re exempt buildings.

Architects are not required to provide CA on single family residences in OR.  However, on all other building types, whether exempt or not, an architect must provide CA - because architects are in fact required to stamp drawings they provide for exempt projects.  Here are the relevant clauses from the regulations:

"The stamp with the registrant's manual or digital signature must appear on the original title page of specifications and on every sheet of the drawings intended for permit and construction, whether or not the project is exempt under ORS 671.030, and must be the stamp of a registered, legally responsible member or employee of the firm. The originals may be reproduced for permit and construction purposes."

and

"Architects are required to supervise all Oregon projects that they stamp (with the exception of single family residences)"

Example: on your theater/appliance store project, you were not required to provide CA because you are not an architect and did not stamp the drawings.  However, if I had done exactly the same work that you did on that project, I would have been required to stamp it, and to provide CA, regardless of the fact that it was exempt from requiring an architect or engineer.

Aug 8, 15 1:28 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Guys and gals, tonight I'm drinking some chartreuse that somebody left at my house some months ago. It's terrible but is doing the job.

rough week all around, from hospital visits to sudden and very real realizations of career ceiling limitations, to exploring new career options (thinking long-term). Trying to have patience. 

On the plus side, I bought my first sofa this week. Which is cool. But I'm in my mid-30's, so it's actually really awful when I think about it.

i've said enough. Hope you all have a great weekend!, archinecters!

Aug 8, 15 1:41 am  · 
 · 

We are talking about single family residences. Yes, you are correct. It was an oversimplification because I was trying to get to the point with less sentences. I didn't intend to imply otherwise. I was referring to the context of a garage of a single family residence. Thanks for the correction.

I would have probably corrected myself tomorrow. However, you didn't have to show me the statutes or administrative rules. I know where to look.

Have a good day and weekend.

Aug 8, 15 1:43 am  · 
 · 

Yes, to hold correction to my own above statement. 

"It is not required in Oregon for exempt buildings as an example." really should be

"It is not required in Oregon for single family dwellings as an example."

JBeaumont, just so you know, I may not be required by a board administrative rule, I did general administration of contract, interpretation of construction documents during construction phase, visited the construction site (in fact, I did more... I assisted in the construction), I didn't review shop drawings so much as they weren't submitted, determined substantial completion. 

806-010-0050

Observation

(1) Observation, or observing, as used in ORS 671.010–671.220, and as used in the definition of the practice of architecture in 671.010(7) means the administration of the construction contract which includes:

(a) General administration of contracts and interpretation of construction documents during the construction phase;

(b) Visiting the construction site on a periodic basis as is necessary to determine that the work is proceeding generally in accordance with the construction documents;

(c) Reviewing shop drawings, samples, and other submittals;

(d) Determination of substantial completion and such other services as may be required in accordance with the accepted practice of architecture in Oregon.

(2) Architects must observe all projects they stamp, with the exception of single-family residences. If the architect will not be providing the required observation, the architect must so advise the primary authority having jurisdiction and the Board in writing within 30 days of when the architect becomes aware that he or she will not be providing observation. This written notice must also include the project address and project owner’s name.

(3) In accordance with ORS 671.010(7), observation of a non-exempt project constitutes the practice of architecture and therefore must be provided by an Oregon registered architect or engineer who is capable of rendering independent judgment on matters relating to construction.

Stat. Auth.: ORS 671.125 
Stats. Implemented: ORS 671.010 
Hist.: AE 5, f. 12-22-64; AE 6, f. 6-5-69; AE 2-1978, f. & ef. 3-6-78; AE 1-1979, f. 5-31-79, ef. 6-1-79; AE 1-1981, f. & ef. 3-5-81; AE 1-1996, f. 1-23-96, cert. ef. 2-1-96; BAE 1-1999, f. & cert. ef. 3-25-99; BAE 3-2005, f. & cert. ef. 5-12-05; BAE 7-2014, f. & cert. ef. 10-23-14

Aug 8, 15 3:35 am  · 
 · 

Hang in there, bowling ball! I have to say I bought my first "real" couch at age 28 or thereabouts, and it's not even *really real* because it's IKEA's cheapest ever couch, I think it's called the Krappen or something. Anyway, we had it recovered in a better fabric (bartered for that work - we were so broke) and to this day it's still the couch I love the most, even after 20 years of trying and buying others. We have it in the living room and whenever I sit on it I think "This was 300 bucks well-spent".

I'm Facilities Staff on-call at work this weekend because we are horribly short-staffed. So wish me luck! If the lights in the gallery go off or the fountain springs a leak I'm not sure I'll know what to do...

Aug 8, 15 9:21 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

I`ve never bought a couch.  Maybe someday I'll get a real job where I can afford nice things Iike that.

Aug 8, 15 10:20 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna  just in case you missed this on the last page.  Think of it like buying an Ikea couch.

Posting this link just in case your in my hood: 

https://www.facebook.com/ArethusaFarm?fref=nf

Just think all this money raised goes to College Agriculture Students.

Aug 8, 15 11:01 am  · 
 · 
midlander

I think I split 50/50 on a couch with my roommate a while back. Or maybe not. Anyway he kept it when we our own ways. I still don't own one of my own.

I never knew chartreuse as anything more than the name of a color - I'm now enlightened. Is it all terrible or just the one you had b_b?

Aug 8, 15 11:02 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Donna, I just about spat my coffee when I read "krappen" and I'm sure I know exactly what couch you mean. We only bought one because my fiancee's current day job is as photographer for a furniture company, and we got a steal of a deal. Super thankful.

midlander, I've never had any other kinds of this stuff, but the brand I have is apparently the real deal. Tastes like a pine tree according to my not-so-sophisticated palate.

Aug 8, 15 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

If I was ever in the market for a pair of Manolo Blahniks, snook, I'd *only* buy them from a dairy farm!

Aug 8, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Funny, I just had my 15+ year old Krappen recovered this summer.  I was 30-ish when I bought it, and it was the floor model so it was discounted by $100 but had been broken in by a million Ikea shoppers.  It's still the most comfortable piece of furniture in the house.

Aug 8, 15 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

The KLIPPAN, Klippan, that's what it's real name is. LOL, but Krappen is pretty close...

Aug 8, 15 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Ah.  I think mine is actually the Karlstad.  But yeah, close enough.

Aug 8, 15 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

My Kivik has been the most comfy couch I've ever experienced, and the arms make for a nice spot to play guitar.  For all the flak Ikea gets, they make a decent couch, and as a former helicopter mech it was a cinch to put together...

Aug 8, 15 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna,  They own the Dairy Farm...

Aug 9, 15 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

Hi TC. Feel like there was so much to catch up on since I was on Archinect last... Been busy moving out, moving stuff into a storage unit and myself into a temporary sublease.

Got rid of my own (fairly nice) Ikea couch in process. I have chartreuse in a few cocktails recently. 

As for your project Sarah, from my perspective $3,000 seems like a small fee to pay to not have to do any work/deal with details/take care of liability... If you can afford it.

Aug 9, 15 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

Far too many real estate developers are sociopathic scumbuckets. That is all.

Aug 10, 15 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

that's true of all people donna.  my dogs came back from the kennel with pneumonia, and the vet bills are all on me :(

Aug 10, 15 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Aww, poor puppies! But curt, I don't think dogs would make each other sick maliciously, right? Intentionally? Sociopathic scumbuckets love to watch others suffer; they live for the thrill of malicious actions.

Aug 10, 15 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

ok, fair enough.  my problem was caused by neglect rather than sadism. 

the developers i work with aren't so bad.  sometimes overworked and maybe communication falls by the wayside on occasion, but i don't think it's schadenfreude or whatever.

Aug 10, 15 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

I've worked with some lovely developers, too. And some complete sociopaths, unfortunately. 

On another topic, I painted an office this weekend and it looks great. Feels good to accomplish something material every now and again.

Aug 10, 15 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Consultants!  Why even bother sending them coordination issues when they don't even look at them?  "I didn't now there was a rush!?"  Am I wrong in thinking that when I find mistakes with their drawings and changes are being made that maybe they should be a little more attentive?  Pure bush league if you ask me, those guys will be the bottleneck when it comes times to wrap up CD's...  They've been a problem before, but our other office keeps picking them up!

Aug 10, 15 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

“How many consultants does it take to change a lightbulb? I’ll have an estimate for you a week from Monday.” 

- Garrison Keillor

Aug 10, 15 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: