Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Sarah Hamilton
TC fell off the first page!

Also, I have a meetin with an architect about my garage build on Thursday. Any advice? Should I print off the drawings I have? I don't have plot styles,though, so maybe not. I'm nervous. I don't want to be a rant thread on architect.
Aug 3, 15 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, you should print the drawings. Proper line weights be damned, it's always easier to discuss something visual than try to discuss something while waving your hands in the air.

Also Draftsight's plotting process can be a pain, you could always just do a screen shot and print it as a jpeg rather than try to actually plot. Again, something visual is better than nothing.

Aug 3, 15 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I like the idea of screen shot. I might do that. But they wouldn't be scaled. Grrrr. I hate knowing when something is wrong.
Aug 3, 15 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

If they have a graphic scale or known dimension:

Paste the print screen image in autocad.  Scale, use reference, and use the known dimension as the final number.

Aug 3, 15 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

(chanting) print, print, print...

Aug 3, 15 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Sarah...don't forget to turn the screws when he offers his fee:)

Aug 3, 15 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

I hear there's a guy on Craigslist how works for $0.08 per square foot.

Aug 3, 15 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ That means she can get it for $0.04 per square foot.

Aug 3, 15 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

It was a garage right?  It doesn't take much time to find the going rate on the google, if you're getting low-balled that much, you know something ain't right...

Aug 3, 15 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Some poor architect posting about meeting Sarah should make my day

Aug 4, 15 12:23 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Music I won't listen to; Hozier, or Father John Misty. There, someone had to say it. 

Aug 4, 15 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Hozier, pure dross...  People love him though, hope you didn't pay to see him or something...

Aug 4, 15 12:45 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Fuck no. I can barely tolerate either when they're being played on the radio.

Aug 4, 15 7:03 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I had the WORST dream last night. I dreamed that the architects came to the house for our meeting. Pulled up in a WWI era roadster, flat navy paint and gold metal.
Then, I didn't print the drawings, and computer wasn't cooperating, so I couldn't show them what I had, and they were snobby about the fact that one of them graduated from Temple in '07, and I had graduated in '06, yet he was an architect and I wasn't. It was so stressful, and then they tell me that nope, can't build a garage, not enough space, and they laughed at my incompetents. And I felt like such an idiot, because I measured before we bought the house.

It was awful.
Aug 4, 15 9:24 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

If it makes you feel any better, I had a dream about dancers riding miniature ponies, in a pizza joint, that was also my grandmother's house.  Oh, and I had nasty toenails.

Aug 4, 15 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ I'd fund that kickstarter.

Aug 4, 15 9:50 am  · 
 · 

Were the miniature ponies' hooves painted up pretty and sparkly, to offset your nasty nails?

Aug 4, 15 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

perhaps we could take creative liberties and off-set the nasty nails by casting Steve Buscemi as the main character

Aug 4, 15 10:05 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I should have been concerned about the ponies' hooves, given they were tromping around in the house/pizza joint.  But, for reasons unknown, that was not a detail I retained.

Strangest thing.  There were no nail clippers to be found.

Aug 4, 15 10:34 am  · 
 · 

This dog is a lady-dog, and I bet her toenails look nicer than Buscemi's.

Aug 4, 15 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Surfing around the site tonight, and just in the last week, reading some really disturbing stuff, is anyone from Archinect monitoring this stuff?

Aug 6, 15 12:35 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

suhhh! No moderator on a sight like this means its good... for Indians...you dufuss carreera porche. asss clown

Aug 6, 15 12:37 am  · 
 · 
I think DeTwan is drunk.

Disturbing how, Carrera?
Aug 6, 15 6:11 am  · 
 · 

Here is another cool thing my husband fabricated, for artist/Jalopnik writer Jason Torchinsky: pixelated Lancia.

Aug 6, 15 8:50 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I agree - seems to have gone downhill fast

Aug 6, 15 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

It's the kind of stuff that isn't even allowed on a smack forum on a college football message board.  A house cleaning is in order...

Aug 6, 15 11:02 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

what threads are going bad?  the aia one, or all of them?  they should make me a moderator.  i'll just start swinging the ban-stick all around.

Aug 6, 15 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

Agreed, quality of posting is way down. Lots of aggression.

Aug 6, 15 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

Working from the top of the list I got to all the FUs. Wrote the post above before I saw the RB containment thread.

If anyone needs to be contained ... tammuz got banned, what about those assholes?

Aug 6, 15 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^I took care of it, that thread is gone.

Aug 6, 15 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

carrera is a moderator?

Aug 6, 15 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

hired a hitman perhaps?

Aug 6, 15 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Good One Carrera, ruin all the fun. What'd you do, spend your morning sending PMs to some obscure person on this site? My drunkin diatribe was an ode to the macrocosm of the ridiculousness that is placed on society in this era of 'internet shaming'. Miles was stupid enough to try to do his "shaming" and stand up for Richard. My comments where suppose to be refreshing. I apologize to all the Indians (native and non-natives), geriatric pant crappers, obsessive compulsive masturbators, and any other person that was offended. I would suggest that if you where that offended with my comments you may need to get a life.

Aug 6, 15 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

It’s sad that the world has become a dangerous place, it’s even sadder that it’s become so politically correct.

This is a place to learn, to exchange ideas, and rant about frustrations, even an occasional F word, but not FU’s. All need to guard against personal attacks, disagreeing with an idea is one thing, but embarrassing someone who is known publicly on this forum is corrosive to all.

We all worry about the future of this profession and too about how we are perceived by the public…these threads make their way to google searches for all to see, and the afore mentioned thread, and threads & posts like them, are corrosive to the profession.

This forum needs self-delete buttons, I’ve said some regrettable things myself, but have had the good sense to apologize and ask Archinect to remove them; we need to guard the public record.

Aug 6, 15 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

so, carrera is a moderator now?

Aug 6, 15 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Personally I think Richard's down fall was his own rambling doing...no one to fault but himself. Miles idiotically got in the way and 8.5% beer got me rolling. Miles decided to step on the tracks and the train came a rumblin. Archinect is the most benign website Ive ever seen. If you're taking professional advice from this forum, that is at your own risk. Sadly there is nothing to moderate on this site....hence the moderatorlessness of archinect. I'm actually surprised that archinect hasn't become a pro jihadi website infiltrated by isis and terrorist alike.

Aug 6, 15 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

8.5% beer? Pass some over here. The Bailey's in my afternoon coffee is just not cutting it anymore.

Aug 6, 15 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

If Richard has had a downfall that's news to me. he seems fine.

Carrera, nice post. We do have 15 minutes to edit a post, if we regret something.

...Indians (native and non-natives), geriatric pant crappers, obsessive compulsive masturbators... I fall into two of three of these categories, maybe.

Aug 6, 15 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

DeTwan, that wasn't a train, it was a manure wagon, and you're the only one who found it refreshing. That you were shamed by my response simply means I was right.

Aug 6, 15 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

You were trying to shame whomever created the thread, not me. All the more power to you and you shaming abilities miles. I actually like being spanked...lol. I think some ppl on here got their girdle on too tight. Take a deep breath and ease up folks. This internet shaming thing has gotten everyone riled up a bit too much.

And I'm sure I made a couple ppl laugh, shit was pretty good...

Aug 6, 15 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Better yet I say that we take a poll on whom gets to be moderators, sub-moderators,etc... I'll cast the first votes.

I propose Sir Master Balkins as supreme over lord of Archinect, then Miles as his sub minion master moderator, then Carrera as Sub-moderator to Miles, and finally me as the masked gimp that gets to ban as pleasured, and I do ask to be abused... and whipp'd!

Any in opposition please stand, say your name, and reasoning...

Aug 6, 15 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I think this site would be pure gumby gold with that line up..no?!

Aug 6, 15 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I'm meeting with the architect today. At 5. I've cleaned the house. I've pulled out my scale, trace, triangle, an pencil. It's only 4:50. It's clear I have no idea what to expect. I designed funeral homes for gods sake. The clients came to us.
Aug 6, 15 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

The increasingly dangerous world and political correctness might be related.  I'm not convinced we're protecting the profession or helping the public by censoring online antics.

I know a guy who generally seems like a decent person, kind soul, that sort of thing.  But there's another side to that guy I know - like:  he would have one believe that his academic struggles are due to financial pressures, a philosophical objection to standardized testing, and academic schedule difficulties - and it's not that those aren't all true - but he tends to leave out the more troubling factor of episodes of intimidating behavior that involved campus security, crude and threatening statements, mandatory evaluation, that sort of thing.

Online that guy has similar patterns: well-meaning, genuine, decent, kind soul… up until somebody pushes the buttons a little too hard - and then there are the vulgarities and threats.  But I don't think it's in anybody's best interest to smack the fingers of the button pushers, or to scrub the results from the internet.  

If I was thinking of hiring someone, whether I was an employer or a prospective client, I would much rather find out about that behavioral patten on google than not find out until it manifests in the real world - whether as just an unpleasant experience or the much less likely violent incident, either are arguably worse for the face of the profession and more dangerous to the public.

Aug 6, 15 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Yeah, you're are being watched by big brother all...so before you speak negatively about your dark over lord, remember, we will make sure that google properly monitors every action....muhahaha, cough.... gimp master watches all!!!!

Aug 6, 15 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Odd that people see a site "losing integrity" yet still find a way to come back and post comments, start threads, and write books citing those things.
Aug 6, 15 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah how did it go?!?!?

Aug 6, 15 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

It does seem odd how a site like this exist?

Aug 7, 15 12:17 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

BTW where the fux is balkins? He's suppose to be the dark over lord and shit...

Aug 7, 15 12:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: