Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

JLC-1

Ha, but at least we can still oust the nuts, like that brandon hubbard blogger, for a minute I thought of scientology there.....

Jul 21, 15 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Our local Newspaper will not credit the architect for a render, ever.  They even go so far as to crop the image to eliminate the firm name.  Advertising they say...

Jul 21, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

i remember the exact moment my sanity went *poof* in studio....

lol... I can hear mine sizzling... and it smells like bacon.

Jul 21, 15 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

mmmm, bacon.

Jul 21, 15 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Yes Jerome it's the same issue with trying to get the news or the local papers to cover these types of stories: if the owner calls them they'll come cover it as news or human interest - but if the architect calls them about the same event they won't cover it as news and instead want to sell us a "feature" in the paper or a "spotlight" on the local channel's pay-to-appear home improvement program.

Jul 21, 15 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I had a local rag without my permission  take a drawing of mine and use it in and advertizement which even had a copyright  symbol and signature on it.  When I called them on it they said, "We didn't think you would mind."  I ask them to pull the Ad in all future publications and they did.

Jul 21, 15 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I both remember losing my sanity and having it return to me. 

To get free advertising in magazines and newspapers, write something you are knowledgeable about. Include at the end a little bit about you or your firm then send it out to publications that print things like that. Completely free and easy, if you can write. They probably won't cover an architect's building as a story because the building doesn't belong to the architect. I know it feels like it, I mean we had soundtracks for buildings.

That's ridiculous that they cut the renderings to crop out the name though. 

Jul 21, 15 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Did anyone catch the parody of R.Balkins Esq. on What happens when you are halfway through MArch and realize you are not cut out for architecture at all?

I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Jul 21, 15 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

that's hilarious!

Jul 22, 15 8:23 am  · 
 · 

That was an especially good post by Pritchard, yes. Very hilarious. I still hope s/he'll explain what FUFEE means, as JLC-1 requested on another thread.

Jul 22, 15 8:42 am  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Pritchard's advice on insulation is my favorite.

Jul 22, 15 9:02 am  · 
 · 

Ha! I didn't see that one.

Alas, poor Ricard, I knew him well.

Jul 22, 15 9:05 am  · 
 · 

I love that their skills include "Fur Appraisal, Peas". Happy hump day all!

Jul 22, 15 9:33 am  · 
 · 

Researching 3D printing for a particular application, one of the sites I looked at had this as the portal image:

Exactly what is that a model of?

Jul 22, 15 9:46 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's a leg.  probably armor for a leg.

are those the fancy new augmented reality glasses people talk about?

Jul 22, 15 10:26 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

scummacher assistant?

Jul 22, 15 10:28 am  · 
 · 

Pritchard's response to the IDP Reporting: Weekly vs In-Bulk thread was perfect.

Jul 22, 15 11:22 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

^^it's a leg.

You're right - third leg!

Jul 22, 15 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

"Insignia is what separates us from roofers."

snort!

Jul 22, 15 11:52 am  · 
 · 

Nice catch, Miles! Please tell us what company...

Jul 22, 15 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

3DCARIB.COM

Jul 22, 15 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the image miles linked is hosted by these people

http://www.3dsystems.com/

http://www.3dsystems.com/sites/www.3dsystems.com/files/styles/frontpage-slide-resp_xl/public/digital_thread_made_tangible_1152x348.jpg

3dcarib has this one

http://www.3dcarib.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/digital_thread_made_tangible_1152x348.jpg

small world.  they sell the same stuff.  i wonder if they're the same people?

Jul 22, 15 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

could be a stock image, just a bad choice of graphic for the screen

Jul 22, 15 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

I think that's the DR branch.

I'm looking for big 3D capability (2 meters) , only one found so far in Europe. I think that woman is looking for big 3D capability, too - notice how she is riveted to the screen.

Jul 22, 15 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

2 Meters!  I'd be happy with 2/10 of a meter

Jul 22, 15 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Quick off topic question for the experts:

If my 1940s house is originally 1 story, with attic converted to "master suite," joists being 2x6s, 14" o.c.(based on the 12" clear dim I took through the lightfixture hole), and TG planks as subfloor, can I replace the carpet with marble? Also, if the subfloor is TG planks, what is the hard edge I can feel through the carpet in spots?

Also, my husband wants me to hire someone to finish my garage dwgs, and build it. Anyone on here in my area? Figured I'd offer it to you guys first. Wiggins?
Jul 22, 15 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Free knowledge dispensed:

IRC says 2x6s @ 16" can span about 8-ft, if I recall.

You could runs some calcs backward to see what the TL for the 2x6 is based on your spacing & span.  You could also make some assumptions about better quality of lumber in the 40's than current SPF and Fb values

In short, I wouldn't put marble up there.  You're adding at least 5 lbs/SF for backerboard, mortar and tile to a floor that is likely at its load limit already.

But I'd wait to see what Balkins says before I decided anything...

Jul 22, 15 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I might be interested, just have to know wants/needs/expectations, if things line up I probably could do that kind of work.

Jul 22, 15 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Solid advice, JeromeS, including the Balkins response.

Jul 22, 15 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I figured, Jerome, but sometimes we need someone to reason over our hopes and dreams with solid logic. So sad. Guess it's tile and carpet. BORING. And your last bit of advise was perfect!

Wiggins, really, email me. We should get coffee/chai/beer/ice cream (God, it's hot today). I can't email from the phone app.
Jul 22, 15 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I'll send one out after I get the work day is through!

Jul 22, 15 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

@ Miles,

Check out Big Rep. They've been developing a printer at that scale for years. You might be able to find the "old" open source files if you poke around too. 

Jul 22, 15 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Sarah- why not do something un boring? Forbo Marmoleum or something so cool I don't even know about it...

Jul 22, 15 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
proto

sarah, unlikely to be just t&g plank sheathing for carpet...prolly a plywood of marginal thickness in there for flatness.  hard edge could also be the tack strip

Jul 22, 15 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Marc, but I'm lookin for a printing service, not a machine. I've seen a few that do 1 meter, I'm looking for twice that on one axis. 

Jul 22, 15 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

So I had a fairly shitty day. The absolute insanity of our Middle East warmongering hit home very closely for me today as I dealt with someone I know and care about who is a vet and is suffering, clearly, from PTSD and inability to re-enter US society after several very difficult years over there. This person suffered a total breakdown, is likely to be either institutionalized or incarcerated now. WTF.  I'm sick to my stomach thinking about how many young men and women have been basically ground up into dust by this fucked up little profiteering adventure for government contractors. Just sick to my stomach. 

Jul 22, 15 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

You're in the minority Donna, the only reaction I get as an Iraq War Vet is either fear or they couldn't care less about what most of us have gone through.  Of course not many folks would know who we are just by looking at us.  I was very lucky...  

Jul 22, 15 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Miles, I know a guy.

Jul 22, 15 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe it's my age, Mr_Wiggin. This person is young enough to be my child (or I'm old enough to be their mother LOL!) and I can't imagine having to deal with that kind of enormous ethical test at that age. I'm enjoying growing older and wiser but the downside is my empathy meter goes off the charts when I see young people facing what I know are issues that are too complex for their age. I'm glad you were able to come through it OK. 

Jul 22, 15 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, hope it all works out. I have a few friends/family that did multiple tours in Iraq/Afghanistan while they all seem to have pulled through without too much difficulty, at least one of my friends definitely had some reentry challenges...

@Mr_Wiggin ditto what Donna said.

Night all!

Jul 22, 15 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

arch, you have a domestic source for large scale 3D printing?

Jul 22, 15 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I only wish the concern for our vets now, had been there when my father was a vet, might've helped, oh well.

Anywho. 

Netflix. Their content is getting better all the time. Two recommendations; "What Happened, Ms. Simone?", and "Tig".

Jul 22, 15 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna,  Lost a close nephew  after he returned to Iraq.

Jul 22, 15 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

The effects of serving in the military might not always be revealed even years after returning home. I know a Vietnam vet who suffered some pretty bad health effects from having to eject from his jet decades after the incident. Shortly after that he started showing symptoms of PTSD and still struggles with it. Sometimes even when you and those around you think you made it through ok, it can come up later in life.

Jul 23, 15 12:07 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Define Domestic. 

Have you looked at the VoxelJet products? 

The guy I know is a professional engineer and machine tool designer who broke off from a major manufacturer of cnc tools for the auto-industry to start a 3D printing business. He builds everything custom. If you want his name, just send me a message through my account. Not sure how much a printer that large would be or if he has built any as of yet. I know he did one that was 36" x 36" x 48" build area.

Jul 23, 15 8:56 am  · 
 · 

Trying to avoid shipping from Europe. 

Great link, thanks. 4x2x1 meter. They did faux Aston Martins for destruction in the James Bond film.

Jul 23, 15 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Sarah, why not a standard hardwood floor, or a rough sawn, wide plank, reclaimed hardwood floor if you want something a little different? Carpet is bad for those with allergies and if you have pets it is impossible to keep clean.

Jul 23, 15 10:10 am  · 
 · 

I love Marmoleum. Have never been disappointed with it in any application. For my own house I also can't speak highly enough of cork plank. It's available in click-together planks; we used those but glued them down.

Jul 23, 15 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I'm confused. Is Marmoleum the stuff they use in elementary gym floors/cafeterias? It looks like linoleum tiles (and why do the schools have to wax those tiles, anyway?)

I was wanting avoid wood because it can be noisy, and I LOVED the large slabs of marble floor we had in our Roman apartment in college. I sound so worldly, hah! I wonder now, if I couldn't just sand and finish the planking that spans the joists. Seems it would save a lot of weight. And my husband literally laughed out loud when I told him asked about marble. Wanted to know if I won the lottery and was holding out on him.

And I agree, whole-heartedly about Netflix. If you haven't gotten into Sense8, you should. It took me about 4-5 episodes to figure out what was going on, but that's cause Husband started the first 2 without me. And I can't recommend it to anyone I know personally because of all the gay sex. Still, if you can get past that, the characters are amazing people that you miss when it's over. Like a good book.

Beta, what are your shows about?
Jul 23, 15 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: