Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

chigurh

HA! Just dropped in - Carrera is killin it!

Aug 10, 15 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

The developers I've worked with would cut your throat for a nickel. Fortunately I didn't have one. 

Aug 10, 15 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

http://www.chron.com/news/science/article/Japan-committed-to-nuclear-power-despite-6437267.php

wow.  hasn't will been fighting against this?  sounds like a lot of upset japanese people today.

Aug 11, 15 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

A quick analysis I did in a school shortly after they shut everything down made it pretty clear that they couldn't keep their nuclear power offline for too long.  They're going to ave to find a better way of offsetting than using fossil fuels. Looking from a different perspective, barring a change in immigration policy and social trends, they might not have as much of a population in 60 years to produce for creating a built in reduction in power draw.

Aug 11, 15 10:02 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

by not as much of a population, you mean the billion people that could die if they drop the rods when they start actually cleaning up fukushima in 2022?

maybe will will give his $0.02.  he seems to know what's going on.

Aug 11, 15 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have no problem with nuclear energy.

When done right, properly located and maintained, it's the best and most efficient way to generate power.  But people like to fear what they can't or do not want to understand.

It's like a Mac vs PC thing... once you remove the irrational media and ignorant fear-generating blogs, there is not much of a debate left.

Aug 11, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 

The paucity of media coverage on Fukushima is intended to hide the escalating disastrous consequences of that disaster and by extension the propensity for the same elsewhere. Publicly accessible radiation monitors on the web were taken down right after the accident. The disinformation campaign is in full swing with mental health now being cited as the largest risk. It's all in the mind you know.

For once the Germans have it right. 

Aug 11, 15 11:13 am  · 
 · 

I came across this map of power generation in the US the other day. It is interesting to see which regions get their power from various sources. Note that nuclear is the largest producer of clean (no greenhouse gas emissions) by far. 

I wonder how much more energy the Germans are going to start buying from the French. 

Aug 11, 15 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Then those citing mental health should be the first in line to the asylum.

Aug 11, 15 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donald Trump has nothing on this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG6fhub9HDQ

Aug 12, 15 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I really enjoyed this video of Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7juO2fIPfw

Aug 12, 15 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

Aug 12, 15 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Everyone's favourite archinector is back for round No.2

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/134184753/self-culture/0#last

Aug 13, 15 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

^this forum is getting too many wackos, not even funny ones....

Aug 13, 15 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The one wrestling with Balkins is close to funny.

Aug 13, 15 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

what a Dick...

Aug 13, 15 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Take a break from working all weekend and what do I find?! Thread Central on Page 2. Come on, people. 

Aug 16, 15 9:00 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

haven't been by in a while either.... if Balkins has infected TC I see no reason to stop by. 

Aug 16, 15 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Good evening TC!

Steven I have taken a break from working weekends, the last 2-3 weeks. Been great to enjoy the "free" time...

Went on a sunset walk at the new(ish) Sweetwater Wetlands Park (a new wetlands based water treatment facility) with my father yesterday. Super cool place. Love the literalness of landscape as infrastructure...

Aug 16, 15 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

I found out this morning that, after months of disheartening job searching, I got an internship at an amazing A/E office, my number 1 choice!  And it's Friday!  I'd say that's reason enough to celebrate tonight (where's my tequila?).

Aug 21, 15 7:34 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Congrats schoon!!

Aug 21, 15 8:04 am  · 
 · 

Good morning all,

Sorry for being awol lately. Been busy with job hunt/moving preparations. As of Wed it is official, I have a job and have put in my notice (last day August 31st). 

Denver here I come!

I know there are (were?) a few Denver/adjacent Nectors. Might have to start a thread to see about a meetup once I am out there. Or if if any TC regulars know who they are/they read this feel free to reach out to me...

Aug 21, 15 8:58 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

grats nam!  i've sort of been looking around north of denver.  if your place is looking for more people let me know ;)

Aug 21, 15 9:18 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

not quite adjacent but in the state, congrats on your move, Denver is a great city.....

Aug 21, 15 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Schoon

Congrats Nam!

Aug 21, 15 10:20 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I'm one of those Denver guys...  Curtkram, we're 'non-officially' hiring last I heard; they don't advertise much.  FAIA sort of place in downtown Denver I joined a few months ago....

Aug 21, 15 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Congratulations, Schoon. I hope it's a paid internship, yes? More of a first job than really an internship?

Nam I had no idea you were moving, congratulations to you too!

Aug 21, 15 11:10 am  · 
 · 

Nam, we all know you're just going for the weed. But congrats regardless. Until recently going to Denver was like traveling back in time. Which is not to be construed as a bad thing in any way.

Aug 21, 15 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Donna! @Miles I actually was worried that is what folks would think...! But the wife has family out there and we want to relocate to a bigger city.

Aug 21, 15 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Welcome to Denver, Nam! I think you will like it here. I live close to downtown and am available for a welcoming get-together if there is one. 

curt, many places are hiring for your experience level from what I can tell. Come on over. 

Aug 21, 15 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
A bigger city, that has weed!
Aug 21, 15 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

How many days in my career have I spent exactly like today: staying up too late CADing then waking up from too little sleep just to CAD all day until I'm nearly delirious reaching toward a 5pm deadline? Well, I made it, and now it's bourbon-o'clock.

It's actually for a project I'm super-duper excited about, too, so that helps.

Aug 21, 15 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

Thank you, Donna! Yes it is paid, and just as important, it's a very short commute! I spent the night celebrating at the Spruce Street Harbor Park in Philly. Did some rollerskating, had some drinks and watched the free jazz show on the edge of the Delaware River. Such a lovely night.

Aug 21, 15 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Mightyaa I tried to send you an email through the contact button, but it doesn't seem to work for me.  If you want to get in touch drop me a line at curtkram at aol.com.  if tint or anyone else wants to say hi that'that's fine too :)

Aug 22, 15 8:52 am  · 
 · 
led signal light

I sold two Frank Gehry rare architecture photos to Getty Museum and bought a windows tablet, so I can video skype with my mom.

Aug 22, 15 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

Just watched That Man From Rio - the original Raiders of the Lost Ark - which features Niemeyer's Brasilia near the end of construction. 

Aug 22, 15 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

I've been doing some work with other architect's CDs lately and have come to the conclusion that I was taught, in school, not only how to make a drawing communicate with technical information but also how to make it communicate emotionally. My CD's end up *looking like* the thing they represent, not only being an explanatory collection of lines and numbers.

It's all about line weights. Line weights communicate everything. Sarah, that garage drawing you posted was really clear in this way, too - it's easy to read what is really important and what is less so.

Aug 23, 15 11:36 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Donna-pix plz? I like to think that I do line weight well & contractors tell me my drawings are clear, but I'm sure they don't have emotion.
Aug 24, 15 8:27 am  · 
 · 

I'll see what I can find to post, gruen. Today I'm thankfully OFF the computer because I'm digging an exploratory trench. Oh, the unpredictable work day of an in-house architect!

But I should clarify that I'm using "emotional" as a shorthand word meaning phenomenologically appealing. Meaning a quick glance at the drawing would tell you what's heavy and freestanding and what's surface texture and everything in between. Also, a scale figure is critical.

Aug 24, 15 8:31 am  · 
 · 

I've never seen a CAD drawing that had emotion. I'd really like to.

Aug 24, 15 8:35 am  · 
 · 

I had to edit my post above to add an explanation of emotion, Miles, not sure if you saw the edited post or not.

Aug 24, 15 8:36 am  · 
 · 

I find emotion in the telltale traces of the hand - corners that cross, wide variety in line weights, hand lettering, smudges, erasures. I can look at pretty much any drawing that ever came out of my father's office and tell who drew it. The best ones are the most communicative - they pop. 

Aug 24, 15 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I see emotion in drawings takes the form of coffee cup stains and footprints on the paper. At least that's how I treated them way-back when I was hand drafting in school. Nowadays, emotion, as described by Donna, lives only in my concept sketches/rough details I get with my 6mm 6B pencil (in a canadian maple-wood holder to'bout). Hard to communicate that in CAD and expect someone to take you seriously on site.

I also just realized I left that pencil at home this morning. booo.

Aug 24, 15 9:14 am  · 
 · 

9B!

Aug 24, 15 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^I keep my 9B leads in a 2mm holders.

Not many of my peers had the courage to use higher than 2H... those wankers were afraid of smudges. Smudges makes drawings sexy.

Aug 24, 15 9:41 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I've never gone over 2B, and those were the last lines I laid down on the page.

4H - HB were no problem though. 

Aug 24, 15 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Blue or Purple lead ftw; Doesn't print when I run my blueprint, so I can write very despairing things about my client's design directions.  So, you can have a very emotional onion skin / vellum with mad rambling written graffiti all over the original.... and on the final prints it's all hidden.  Hell, we used to redline with the purple just in case it still needed to be printed.

Seriously though... the old hand drafted using the blue guidelines for walls, lettering, borders, etc. are better looking than the final prints.  We also used a lead holder, HB leads, 30 degree taper using the sanding block, so the horizontal lines are thicker than the vertical.  The text also used a slight italic on the horizontals with the thicker, while the vertical was done with the triangle.  There would be an 'office font' everyone had to practice and master so it didn't look like a barrel of monkeys worked on it and it was uniform as though one person did it all.  Smudges are normal.  As are 'weak lines' due to eraser dust working away at it as you slid the triangles and bar over the work. 

Aug 25, 15 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

You guys, I'm seriously worked up about this. Mainly because I'm still confused that I'm misinterpreting what the offense was.

Aug 26, 15 10:12 am  · 
 · 
3tk

well, i suppose a rather insulated part of the world is full of misunderstandings - i can understand people being upset, but complaining that high up in a university is odd.  The apology sounds like it's a stand, though the 'souvenir' aspect of the costume is not what you'd expect a dean to flaunt.

Aug 26, 15 10:26 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

maybe the "architect for trump" can explain

Aug 26, 15 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: