Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

curtkram

i think the problems here started long before the internet

this is the capital of south carolina

this is what the rest of us see

surely the affection for 'traditional' charleston can be maintained without the racism?

Jun 19, 15 9:15 am  · 
 · 

Well-said, Marc, on both points.

As if I wasn't already distraught enough today....I only have a few minutes as I have to go to the doctor this morning (to see about changing my fluoxetin prescription LOL!), but I was smacked in the face this morning with the news that my adopted state of Indiana, the state I hate globally but love locally, has decided that the state no longer needs to license engineers. ENGINEERS!!!! The reason given is this:

"Indiana should be a model for efficient and limited governance"

GAAHAAGAHAHAAA fuck that! I don't want the government so limited that every bridge falls down because "that's what the market decided"  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ !!

Uggggghhhhh, I'm going to try to write an actual news item on this over the weekend but FFS I'm just gobsmacked right now.

I can't. I just can't.

Jun 19, 15 9:19 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

But I'm sure they still license who cuts your hair, right? 

I'm all for limited governance, but until every state deregulates cosmetology all else is a sham...

Jun 19, 15 9:39 am  · 
 · 

And there's a "you need to start packing..." headline. 

Jun 19, 15 9:47 am  · 
 · 
LOL, Marc.

They still have a lot of professions to study. The push was indeed to relax licensing on professions like hairdressers and such. I just can't figure out who decided to lump engineers in!
Jun 19, 15 9:53 am  · 
 · 

Pretty much every headline is you need to start packing.

Where do you think you're going to go that will be any different?

Jun 19, 15 10:50 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

linking the south carolina thing and licensure thing, if i walked into great clips and asked for a bowl cut like that kid, i'm pretty sure they would refuse service on grounds that it would be opposed to their professional ethic.  i haven't actually tried that though.

Jun 19, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Reading the tangential discussion of whatever happened in SC is far more interesting than actually reading about whatever happened in SC.

I'm pondering what happened to the kid with the bowl cut and whether whatever happened to him happened because of it.

Please, don't pop my bubble.

Jun 19, 15 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Schoon

"...the state no longer needs to license engineers."

5 years of mentorship after graduation?  Forget that, I'll just skip getting my P.E. and move to Indiana!

Jun 19, 15 11:28 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Miles, to a parametric paradise

Jun 19, 15 11:34 am  · 
 · 

So long as there are horror stories about staph infections contracted at the salon that result in amputations cosmetology will be considered for regulation. No wants to be permanently maimed for the sake of vanity (well, there are examples but that's a totally different thing).

It is most likely that Roof's haircut is the result of his social and political inclinations, along with his choice of attire. Anybody who wears apartheid era patches for South Africa and Rhodesia -now Zimbabwe- is calculated and practiced and likely living on a fringe with different priorities. 

But if we are going to conflate ideas and threads, here is a great example of architecture as an embodiment of place and ideas in form. In attacking a church, you attack not only the building and those who use it, but you also attack the their values and identify. 

Jun 19, 15 11:37 am  · 
 · 

They also decided home inspectors don't need to be licensed anymore. Or surveyors. Surveyors!

Jun 19, 15 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

Hard to believe the state is going to dispense with collection of all those juicy licensing fees.

So ... based on this thread some kid in SC had his head amputated because of an infection he got at a hair salon.

Jun 19, 15 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

^that's parametricism applied! Bravo!

Jun 19, 15 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

25% of US women are on prescription anti-depressants. Vanishingly few of us are shooting people.

Jun 19, 15 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

He probably enjoyed video games and perhaps wore tennis shoes. Let's all make broad statements about those being linked as well.

Jun 19, 15 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

My evening canoe trip on the White River was just cancelled - the water level is too high, and they're predicting more rain over the next week. Poor California is dry heaving and the Middle is drenched.

Jun 19, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I should have been like a real architect and been sitting on my back deck  drinking cold ones, but instead I'm running around with my head cut off trying to put together a bunch of drawing to enter a lottery pool with a bunch of other non profits to see if we can get part of the pie which seems to shrink everyday thanks to our  Governor who has his head stuck up his ass.   Now I don't go around saying that about people as a norm but this guy is fricking living on on an asteroid cause Uranis wouldn't have him as a citizen.

Jun 19, 15 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

...living on on an asteroid cause Uranis wouldn't have him as a citizen.

I plan to somehow work this insult into conversation this weekend.

Hey, mightyaa? What's up, did you take a new job?

Jun 19, 15 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

25% of US women are on prescription anti-depressants. Vanishingly few of us are shooting people.

Maybe, but we're pretty sure you're thinking about it ALL the time.

Jun 19, 15 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

head up north a bit and i'll find a lake to take you fishing if you want donna.  not as good as the trout in the white river, but better than drowning.  also better than most drugs.

Jun 19, 15 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna...Please Credit me...lol

Jun 19, 15 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

Double rainbow near sunset / Solstice celebration 21 June

Jun 22, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

traditional charleston wouldn't exist but for the fact that having severed the raillines to the city,  Sherman by passed it on his march through the carolinas. And they burned a lot of sheet along the way.

Jun 22, 15 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
We architects do love to talk about ourselves.
Jun 22, 15 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Not as much as we love to talk about each other.

Jun 23, 15 9:58 am  · 
 · 

I'm stealing a haiku from Steven Ward that sums up my attitude towards my job today:

Ha ha ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha ha

It's futile, you guys. We design things and people just destroy them.

Jun 23, 15 11:26 am  · 
 · 

PS kozumelle is really a regular posing as a troll, yes?

Jun 23, 15 11:27 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

so, not laughing because it's funny?

Jun 23, 15 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Yes, curt, laughing in disbelief/frustration/appreciation of absurdity/despair, all of those.

Jun 23, 15 11:57 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

haikus are complicated

Jun 23, 15 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

beauty incarnate

architectural blossoms

contractors stomp them

Jun 23, 15 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

A  I  A, Assoc

manic or genius, not sure

god bless Oregon 

Jun 23, 15 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I interpreted your haiku as an ode to my favorite poster. Here is mine.

Richard Balkins is
Raging against sense, nonsense
Writing so much prose

Jun 23, 15 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Primus and Genesis actually exhibit very similar shrinkage characteristics. However, Genesis is more resistant to cracking from the forces of shrinkage...

Excerpt of building product FAQ from a manufacturer with an eclectic taste in music.  Sometimes you have to wonder where the names come from, in this case it's obvious...

Jun 24, 15 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe the bands chose their names in homage to the grout?

Jun 24, 15 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Not as much as we love to SHIT ON each other.

fixed it for you.

Jun 24, 15 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Change that last 'ha' to '[sigh]' and you're getting somewhere.
Jun 24, 15 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

haikus

haikus

haikus

spitting in the sink.......

e.e. snooker doodle dandy

Jun 24, 15 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Koz, unbelievable

tone deaf, no self awareness

read incredulous

Jun 25, 15 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

koz is a regular, I'm sure of it. Or more likely a former regular who cannot believe we're all over here in this profession talking about it.

Jun 25, 15 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

He's like a big-city tourist who enters a small town bar and is pissed there isn't specialty microbrewery crafted beer on tap. Then complains about the complacency of the owners to not offer variety and fails to see the leers around. Walks out bemoaning the pigs inside.

Jun 25, 15 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

If Koz is trolling he's fucking brilliant. If not he's a fucking idiot. I'm voting for the latter, exacerbated by certain cultural and economic differences.

Either way he can be pretty amusing.

Jun 25, 15 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

I think he's the former, because I can't believe the latter is true.

Jun 25, 15 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

Hanlon's razor

Jun 25, 15 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

^ Exactly.

Jun 25, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I was still doing haiku...

Jun 25, 15 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

never attribute
to malice what stupidness
does explain so well

Jun 25, 15 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

He has to be a troll.  All of the threads he starts have perfect comment-bait titles, and his replies keep the controversy going.  

In other news, I just finished a batch of interviews for an internship, anxiously awaiting the decisions...  I hate the waiting game.  

Jun 25, 15 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

maybe he learned to communicate by reading gawker or whatever internet rag it is that produces that stuff

good luck schoon

Jun 25, 15 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: