Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

jll3

@maryagnes

You did the interior design program at Sac State? I started it about 4 years and thought it was terrible, none of the professors knew what they were doing and thus neither did we, now in all fairness the program had become impacted like the year before so it might be better now, but I just didn't like it at all. Also, I've lived in the Sacramento area for most of life and I'm pretty anxious to get far away from here.

And about WashU's status thing, I was accepted about 2 weeks ago and mine says check back later about the status, so it's like they just completely decided not to use it or haven't gotten around to it or something.

Mar 14, 11 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

@israelias that is what i heard from my TA over the summer when I was there for intro. gsapp open houses are absolute chaotic and very disorganized. my TA mentioned that he went to all the open houses where schools would put on a show to potential students... except gsapp.
i wouldn't disregard positive impressions from upenn tho!

i do think that the faculty at gsapp has this attitude.. they respond to emails with 1 word answers after long periods; whereas upenn are extremely friendly and fact in their responses. :P

i dont think my opinion is too biased, since i went to gsapp for intro and loved avery!

Mar 14, 11 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

*fast

Mar 14, 11 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
are you Swick?

@Jetvancake

Congratulations. That's a stellar record. As soon as you got admitted to Princeton, I never expected to hear anything other than a 100% success rate concerning the rest of the schools. Do you have your portfolio posted on here? For convenience sake, could you repost the link? Congrats again, that's awesome. Picking and choosing open houses?

Mar 14, 11 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
xactly

in at penn, as well! thank. the. lord. thought i wasn't going to get in anywhere. (wipes sweat off forehead).

Mar 14, 11 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

@are you Swick?, i didn't apply to princeton; although, still think my record is stellar :D

i still haven't heard from MIT though, so its seeming less likely the 100% record will last.

here's my portfolio.

open houses - might skip risd, but will make it to gsapp, yale, gsd, and probably parsons since ill be in the city then.

Mar 14, 11 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

Rejections:

GSAPP
GSD
UPenn

Waiting:

Berkeley
UCLA
Minnesota

Fallback:

$75k starting salary engineering job offer. Money isn't everything- hoping an M.Arch I program gives me a chance.

Mar 14, 11 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Vizious

@Jetvancake

congratulations on your acceptances! Im sure you're the envy of many archineters, your portfolio is awesome by the way. Let me know what your impressions of the GSAPP are as I probably wont be able to make their open house.

Mar 14, 11 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sharkalderon

Got an e-mail from Admissions. My heart almost stopped. End up being an invitation to apply to some CUNY Masters of Liberal Arts...that is cruel. Still waiting on Berkeley and UTSOA. I need to enjoy my spring break!!

Mar 14, 11 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
xactly

@CThomas

Are you a unicorn? I swear, you must surrounded by rainbows and butterflies right now.

What is your secret, jedi? (u don't have to answer)

Mar 14, 11 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
rcvino

To anyone interested,

Called Yale re: Fin Aid. They said information would be sent out tomorrow.

5/5 for schools. Glad to be done with this process. Best of luck to those still waiting, and may you find the virtue of patience and success in the coming weeks!

Mar 14, 11 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
are you Swick?

anybody get any word on fin. aid from GSD yet?

Mar 14, 11 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

ayS?,

I got a call from a professor at GSD on friday, she said packages (including fin. aid) went out last week. So, any day now.

Mar 14, 11 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
eeevalynne

"early march" technically only lasts one more day AMIRITE?!

Mar 14, 11 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@maryagnes + all others - Washington University is a big fat nope.

Mar 14, 11 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
eeevalynne

so - if the open house for UT is march 25 - has anyone received notice that they were denied? i guess i'm gonna give good ol chaz a call tomorrow to see whats going on with that (?!?!) - i got overwhelmed with graduating and having a solo show and applying to grad school in the same semester and kinda only had the momentum to apply to one school! kinda shot myself in the foot for this fall! does anyone else have backup plans? I was thinking if arch school didn't work out this fall I would just get my drafting certificate - as my fine arts degree didn't give me any marketable skills besides blowing up shit with fireworks and burning my fingers with a hot glue gun

Mar 14, 11 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
ss87

First time posting here, congratulations to everyone with acceptances!
I'm still waiting on UTSOA for the MSUD program, has anyone been accepted yet?

Mar 15, 11 3:03 am  · 
 · 
sulawesi

First post. I've been accepted to Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Berkeley, and MIT for M.Arch I. Wait-listed by Princeton.

Does anybody know roughly how many first-year students are in each of these programs? Especially Berkeley, MIT, and Columbia.

Mar 15, 11 4:29 am  · 
 · 
jamesherm

for those curious about what's happening at pratt:

i just called and was told notifications will begin in late march, going into early april.

seems ill-advised for them to wait so long, since so many of their applicants will have been accepted (and attended open houses) elsewhere by then.

Mar 15, 11 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - Sorry about the "no" from Wash U. Didn't have my float last night because I was out of ice cream. Oh well, will do it tonight. It sounds like maybe you're in need of one as well? Just like a root beer float, only with Guinness instead of root beer.

I do not live in Sacramento, aka the most god-awful city in the U.S.! I live a short drive west of there in another town. I completely understand what you were saying about living in a nice city - my surroundings are important to me. There are things I really like about California, but there are also things I cannot get over. I'm from the PNW, so a lot of people here in Cali seem pretentious, unfriendly, and overly concerned with issues that don't really matter, and I don't mean politically. ("What?! You've never had a manicure? OMG!", etc.) I guess it's one of the reasons UW is one of my top choices - I have lots of family in Seattle, and it would be really nice to get back to the Northwest.

No offense to all you native Californians - I've met a lot of really great people here, but on the whole, Californians do not realize they are of a different breed. I'm sure I've just offended lots of you. That's not my intention at all - just to make one point as to why I'm not held to California.

@lomas3 - I loved the program at Sac State. I transferred in from a small private university in Hawaii, and I learned so much more at Sac State than I did in my entire time in Hawaii. The program was very well organized, and we worked our asses off constantly. It was definitely not an easy ride, that's for sure. Plus, the program is now broken up into two different concentrations, so I was able to concentrate on Interior Arch. instead of focusing on all the "soft" furnishings crap that I was doing in HI.

Sorry for the long post, everyone!

Mar 15, 11 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
psjp

so does anyone know what is up with UCLA? are the acceptance letters that went out all of it? why aren't they sending out their rejection letters?

Mar 15, 11 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

anyone know whats going on with u of oregon? i see some posts today from eugene, but nothing yet about the portland option...

Mar 15, 11 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@aag2022 - I'm not sure either. I see the posts from eugene, and that's where I applied, but haven't heard anything yet. Feeling anxious, though...

Since we're talking about it, what is the difference between the portland and eugene options? Just location? Because if that's the case, I should have chosen portland. If not, maybe I've forgotten what the difference is.

Mar 15, 11 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@aag2022 - never mind - I just looked up the difference. It's only for M.ArchII applicants. Oh, well.

Mar 15, 11 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

I think portland has more of an urban architecture focus... but i cant keep track of these things anymore.

I want this process to be over. I might just send michigan a check and call it a day so i dont have to think about the 8 schools i havent yet heard from.

Mar 15, 11 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
AmeliaP

ugh, i just saw that too. good bye productivity for today. portland is one of my schools. fingers crossed for good news.

Mar 15, 11 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

berkeley rejection :(

Mar 15, 11 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Underslept

Regarding Pratt:

They just emailed me to let me know that they are missing a transcript of mine and that they want it. I'm taking it as a good sign that they haven't just flat out rejected me. If the review process is still in the works, it sounds like late march indeed.

@psjp

I believe both UCLA and UCB departments let their graduate divisions deal with the rejects, which gives reason for the delay. It is extremely impersonal for them to do it this way. The department should be the one to let you know I feel. Especially when information gets out the way it has the past few years.

Mar 15, 11 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
pclaystudio

Called mit. All smarchs letters will be sent out this week. Good luck

Mar 15, 11 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Underslept

@aag2022

I'm with you.

· 
Underslept

at least it was from the department!

· 
johnlem87

berkeley rejection. blah

Mar 15, 11 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Yeah, grad cafe is bursting at the seams with berkeley rejections! Seems they waited to send out all of their rejections at once.

Mar 15, 11 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

UCB rejection as well. Looks like this one is in the books for me. Back to engineering.

Mar 15, 11 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@maryagnes - awaiting a notification from Oregon (Portland) as well. Did you apply to the Portland program as well? I'm literally leaving in a few minutes to pick up some guiness, or maybe just some whiskey to drown out these two subsequent god-awful rejections!

Maybe I'll see ya in Oregon!? (optimism)

Mar 15, 11 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - pick up some whiskey for me? It's a no-go on Oregon - just got the rejection email. And I applied to the Eugene program. But if I don't end up in school this fall, I may be back in the Northwest anyway, so keep me posted on what you find out about Oregon. Cheers!

Mar 15, 11 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

i guess ignore my earlier comment about pratt notifying in late march, because i just got the acceptance email.

now just waiting on mit and ut.

Mar 15, 11 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
AmeliaP

congrats on pratt.

Mar 15, 11 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

still no word from oregon, but in at pratt :)

Mar 15, 11 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@aag2022 - congratulations! Hey, now you've got at least two schools to choose from, right? I'm sure that's a bit of a relief!

Mar 15, 11 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

I've amazingly got 4 at this point, despite my top choice rejections. wash u, u mich, ohio state and pratt like me even if columbia penn and berkeley dont. still waiting on 6 schools...

Mar 15, 11 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Wow, that's quite the selection! Which one do you think you're leaning toward at this point?

Mar 15, 11 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
wb4b44

where is UT-Austin at? I heard a yes from Option III at Oregon this morning.

Mar 15, 11 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
wb4b44

where is UT-Austin at? I heard a yes from Option III at Oregon this morning.

Mar 15, 11 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

in portland or eugene?

Mar 15, 11 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@ameliabadilia

did you hear from parsons or pratt yet?

Mar 15, 11 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
jll3

Still hoping to hear from UT Austin as well, but did get into Oregon as well, bit of a backup option but cheapest option so far for out of state.

Mar 15, 11 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
wb4b44

@aag2022

I heard from UO-Eugene Option III

Mar 15, 11 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
AmeliaP

i aint heard nothin from nobody

Mar 15, 11 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
belkow

first comment.. hello all!

@lomas3
@ss87
@eeevalynne

regarding UT-Austin: From talking to Chaz in grad admissions this morning, it sounds like they have already notified most of the accepted applicants. I found out I'm on the waiting list, but still nothing shows up on my UTdirect status like it supposedly should. So if you haven't heard anything yet and are wondering wtf is going on like I was, I would recommend giving them a call. Good luck!

Mar 15, 11 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: