Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

mike9379

For anyone waiting on Financial Aid info from Parsons, I just received my packet yesterday so it appears they're out in the mail.

Anyone hear or receive anything at all from CCA aside from the webadvisor logon?

Mar 18, 11 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Underslept

@ mike9379

I got CCA's official letter in the mail a couple days ago. I visited the building this week and I believe the aid packages were complete and not far behind.

Mar 18, 11 11:55 am  · 
 · 
aag2022

has anyone been rejected by parsons yet? i havent heard a thing...

Mar 18, 11 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@m2p - was your acceptance package from UW an actual package, or just a letter? I'm in CA, so I suspect I'll get mine pretty soon, and I want to know what to look for. Congratulations, by the way. Are you from Seattle?

Mar 18, 11 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
arketkt

Wait listed at Cornell, got a letter in mail. Those of you accepted and not attending, decline asap! Thanks!

Mar 18, 11 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Galo

Architecture is dead.

Everyone needs to calm down.

Mar 18, 11 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
m2p

@maryagnes

It was an actual big yellow envelope package. It had a letter from the Dept of Architecture stating that they were recommending me for admissions to the Graduate School (and that I would receive a separate letter from the Grad School later). The folder also contained details about the Open House, financial aid and a student works booklet.

I'm not originally from Seattle, but I've lived here for the past 2 years for work. Hope the news is good for you too!

Mar 18, 11 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@Galo

please keep that shit to yourself. everyone in this thread is excited about what the future holds for them, and comments like these a) put a damper on the excitement of those who have gotten good news and b) give unnecessary added stress to those still waiting.

you have clearly arrived at a conclusion about architecture through your own experiences. that does not mean that those experiences are universal, or that you are entitled to speak on behalf of an entire academic and professional discipline.

if you're right (you're not), at least have the courtesy to allow others to draw their own conclusions, as that courtesy was apparently granted to you. i am extremely tired of people like you, hellraiser, and CMNDCTRL shitting all over other people's choices because of your own insecurities. you're entitled to your opinion, but you're not going to change anyone's mind about architecture school by being a fucking jerk on the internet.

Mar 18, 11 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Amen, mr. minimal! You are absolutely right - even those of us that have not received good news yet are not about to trash talk the industry/discipline or lose hope, so it's not fair for those who do feel soured for one reason or another to try to bring the rest of us down.

Thank you for defending the supportive nature of this ongoing discussion.

Mar 18, 11 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

nice.

Mar 18, 11 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

And from our experiences from Hellraiser, those people are usually the ones not accepted to all schools they applied to and thus have a "fuck you" attitude towards them. Clearly if you didn't get into a school you're just too good for them...

Mar 18, 11 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
mmine

it seems like no letter in the mail = no acceptance for cornell...
hmmmmmmmmm...

Mar 18, 11 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
mcg257

Has anyone attended the [in]arch summer program at Berkeley? I attended the the intro to arch program at Columbia and was not impressed (more conceptual than expected). I am hoping to work on some projects that will ultimately help me create a portfolio. As far as school, I'm have a BFA in photography and believe I am interested in more techie than conceptual schools (crossing fingers for MIT). Back to my original question, does anyone have any experience with the Berkeley summer program and if so... please expand.

Mar 18, 11 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

waitlisted at sciarc... which is cool i guess. going to see umich, u of o and wash u... no idea how to choose between schools now that all my "top choices" were a resounding no.

anyone have any thoughts on umich, wash u or u of oregon in portland? I'm definitely leaning towards umich but would love to hear thought about the other programs.

Mar 19, 11 3:50 am  · 
 · 
ext architect

Has anyone heard from Rice yet?

Mar 19, 11 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
comehome

Yes, I got into Rice, they called about a week ago.

Mar 19, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@arketkt - I'm with you on the Cornell waitlist. Just got mine in the mail today, and I too hope that those not going will give up their spaces right away because I really want a spot.

This was the first glimmer of good news that I've received, but even though it's a waitlist spot, I'm so excited that it's not an outright rejection. And Cornell always was my true top spot...

@aag2022 - I do not know much about the actual program in Portland, but the city itself is really cool. If you haven't already booked a room, check out McMenamin's website. They run a bunch of renovated hotels/inns that used to be schools, factories, farms, etc. and they're a lot of fun to stay in (and cheap). Plus, they brew beer on-site at most of the hotels, too, so that's a definite upside as well! Great beer, food, atmosphere, rooms.

Mar 19, 11 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Sipushka89

I'm still waiting for Virginia Tech and UCLA results, seems like they notify late March?

As for now it's:
OUT:
MIT, YSOA, GSD,GSAPP, UPenn

IN:
WUSTL
Sci-Arc

What do you think about WUSTL and Sci-arc? I'm foreign, so I'm not really familiar with all these schools. Living in St. Louis seems quite scaring,what about Sci-arc? What is it like - coming to LA without knowing a single person there?
One more question: would you choose AA or Sci-arc?

thx

Mar 19, 11 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
bsh3

If anyone got accepted to Sci-Arc and is going to decline can you PLEEEEAAASSEEE decline ASAP! I am wait-listed and this is my top choice! Thanks guys!

Mar 19, 11 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Vizious

@ bsh3

You can count my spot for a wai tlister.. I was fascinated with SCIArc back in 09 when they wait listed me and I went to the open house anyways. I ended up not making it off the wait list. I took a few years off and now I have more options wth fin aid so I wont be going to SCIArc. Good luck!

Mar 19, 11 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
xactly

@ NYer and
@ justaddwater

i got in at penn, as well. if rpi doesn't offer me one hell of a deal, i will go there. i am mainly excited about the benefits and resources of going to an ivy...i am from uc berkeley where you are just a number.

what have you heard about that you looking forward to? do you possibly know the incoming class size?

Mar 20, 11 12:36 am  · 
 · 
ukchomper

In at Syracuse, wait-listed at Penn ... gonna hold out for Penn but accept 'Cuse as a fall-back

Mar 20, 11 9:34 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ukchomper - when and how did you hear from Syracuse? I haven't heard a thing from them, and wasn't sure when I should be expecting to. Maybe they're doing rolling admissions...

Mar 20, 11 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
mayainclck

Anyone know the date and time for Parsons' Open House?
I am having trouble finding the info.

Mar 20, 11 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sipushka89

Did anyone hear from Virginia Tech?

Mar 20, 11 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

I'm assuming all will be clarified at the open house, but does anybody know what the summer schedule is for Michigan aside from starting on june 29th? Is there a break between the summer term and the fall?

Mar 20, 11 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
israelias

Franklsw
is it between UCLA and Columbia for you? what happened to Penn?

Mar 20, 11 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
kas2

has anyone not heard ANYTHING from UC Berkeley, UCLA, or Cal Poly Pomona?

I'm about to complete my B.A. in architecture on the east coast ... applied to west coast schools and getting nervous! is no news good news or bad news?

Mar 20, 11 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
bsh3

Hmm you haven't heard from Berkeley yet? You might want to contact them. Got the rejection about a week ago. And acceptances I'm pretty sure we're around the same time.

I applied to UCLA and haven't heard a thing yet either., and I think someone called n said the admission office told them they'd be out by next week hopefully.

Mar 20, 11 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@uramu

parsons' open house is on april 4. i emailed bronwyn and she said it would probably go from 9-6, and that they'll be sending out an email with more details.

Mar 20, 11 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
ukchomper

@maryagnes - i got both an email and official letter via snailmail... not sure their admissions process? :(

Mar 21, 11 12:21 am  · 
 · 
johnlem87

has anybody not heard from UT Austin yet? there is still no update on the website!

Mar 21, 11 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Franklsw

@isrealis - my girlfriend went went to penn for three years and ive been living with her the entire time. it seems like a good program but i feel like ive already done it, so it has kind of lost its allure. It is looking more and more like GSAPP everyday.

Mar 21, 11 11:37 am  · 
 · 
arketkt

For those wait listed at Cornell...

Did anyone get an email invitation to the open house? I just received an email but I don't know whether to go or not.

Mar 21, 11 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@arketkt - Yes, I just got that email as well. I would really love to go, but cannot afford to, and I visited one of their open houses for prospective students in 2009, so I've already seen the department/campus (other than that beautiful new Koolhaas building). I'm on the west coast, so it would be more than just a day trip for me. Really wish I could go, though...

Mar 21, 11 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@johnlem87

if you haven't heard from ut yet, i'd call the graduate admissions coordinator. he said he was going to have everything posted last week.

Mar 21, 11 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
eeevalynne

@johnnlem87 I haven't heard either, you should call and post what chanz says, as I don't really feel like being yelled at again. He did tell me he was going to try to have everything done by last Friday though. I was gonna give it till Wednesday before I called to in case he got bogged down with sxsw stuff.

Mar 21, 11 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@eeevalynne - I just got off the phone with him. He looked into it and said that I should hear before April and that my file was still under review, and that as soon as he heard anything he would post it on the UT direct website. I am so stressed out.

Anybody have any "back-up" plan if not admitted to graduate school? I'm thinking about becoming a perma-vacationer! Sure wish I applied to a lot more schools.

Mar 21, 11 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
beezely

@eevalynne
@johnlem87

The good news is that you guys are still in the running. UT throws out the ones they don't want up front and accepts the ones they really want the same way. That puts you in a gray area, but it's not bad. They peel through those applications more closely. So, John, don't stress! You're still in the game.

Mar 21, 11 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@breezely - That is good news. I appreciate the response. I had just figured that they went through it alphabetically or I was waitlisted or something... my mind has been running wild with why I haven't received a response yet. That heightened my confidence just a bit, so thank you. Did you get into UT or what?

Mar 21, 11 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@johnlem87

to add to what beezely said, once the department makes their admission recommendation, the dean of the graduate school (the whole ut graduate school, not just the utsoa) has to approve your acceptance. it's just a formality, but sometimes the dean's office gets a bit behind.

i was told that the department sent my admission decision to the dean's office in the last week of february, but it took ~2.5 weeks before i got the official notification.

hang in there, it could be that 'under review' is another way of saying 'waiting on the dean.'

Mar 21, 11 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Waitlisted at Syracuse, too. Just waiting for an actual acceptance. Three more schools to go...

Mar 21, 11 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

good luck maryagnes!

Mar 21, 11 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Thanks, johnlem87! You need some luck too, so it sounds. Did you get everything turned in for Oregon? Good luck on hearing back from UT!

Mar 21, 11 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

Haha yes I do! Still no word from either! Thank you.

Mar 21, 11 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
wileycount

Hello, Friends.

I've been a bit of a lurker around here, but a night of delightful adventures has disposed me towards joining this fray. I was a bit more active last year, the year of my failed applications, but this time around, I stayed quite until it felt as though the time was right. Or I had enough to drink to be bold enough to speak up. So here goes. First off, what you all like to hear: results.

IN:
GSAPP
Penn (+12.5)
RISD (+14)
Pratt (+10)
Parsons (?)

Out:
Princeton
GSD
MIT
Cornell

?
CCNY

Demos: Cuban Jew from Brooklyn, crappy undergrad GPA, OK post-grad GPA, GRE: 750 V, 570 Q, recs from a GSAPP prof, undergrad prof, boss. worked for 5 years during/post undergrad in political/business/non-profit context.

I'm going to GSAPP. Let me tell you why.

I want to fuck with architecture. I want to mess it up, to challenge it, to give it some trouble by virtue of the fact that its academy admitted me to its ranks and thought it would get out of that unscathed. I have ideas that spill into the psychotic, but follow a logic that I believe will change the world. I want to hit the edifice of architectural practice, thought, and education with the force of a million rhinos angry that there are software developers crass enough to use my species as a brand name. I want to make architecture scared to admit to anyone that that is what it is.

And I think architecture will be better for it. And I think GSAPP is the only place that could handle this. No, let me rephrase. I'm not sure they can handle it, but I think that particular institution could channel such energies in direction that coincides with the force of my efforts. And possibly survive the process.

Anyone who thinks they have an idea of what GSAPP is about, be it NURBs, digital fabrication, flashy graphics and animations, etc., etc., perhaps you are right. To a very limited degree. To give the hint: I did NY/Paris, and I did Intro. And I did not do spectacularly in either, in terms of grades. However, I think I got something. I got that Columbia is a restless institution. That it is unsatisfied with complacency, acceptance, boredom. If you are a B.Arch and you got into GSAPP, accept this challenge: you are not to be boring. You are not to design structures that you already know how to design, you are not to adhere to principles that you have been told are correct, you are not believe ANYTHING you have been taught. If you go to GSAPP and do so, you will fail. Perhaps not with grades, perhaps not even in accolades, if you are in fact an excellent producer of digital wizardry who is able to boggle our minds with the complexity of your renderings. In fact, such efforts will be worthy, in that you are, unbeknownst perhaps even to yourself, pushing the limits and bursting the boundaries. That is what I hope to see at GSAPP.

GSAPP is the only place, as far as I can tell, besides the AA and the Bartlett and MAYBE Princeton where insanity is recognized as genius and bold experimentalism is encouraged to the point of breakdown. Perhaps these efforts do not always results in success; the efforts themselves, however, are a wonder to behold. That is why I want to be at GSAPP.

I am sure there are people who would prefer to stay the safe course, to engage with the broader audience and present the safe, friendly face of our field. These people are neccessary; architecture must have a market, and to have a market, people must feel safe investing. I might even be inclined to engage in this behavior, to think it has its place. But I will not stop there.

I will push it. I will do uncomfortable things, make claims and extend into disciplinary realms that thought they were safe from the mad machinations of those who seek to give material form to the immaterial, intentional, imaginary realms of their expertise. No one is safe from me; I will consume all fields of knowledge in an effort to better give physical form to my concepts, whether or not that form will be realizable in my lifetime.

You might look at this, and if you bother to read it, think that I am the mad face of an architectural acolyte gone horribly wrong. But I am absolutely essential to the progress of this field, and GSAPP is exactly the place I want to be to do so. To those who think it is NURBtown: go there, now, and ask the people who have yet to use a computer this semester how they are doing. They are shattering conceptions of what it takes to make architecture today; they are at the institution that first attempted a paperless studio; their hands are dirty, and the love it.

I want to be there. I will probably use a computer, because I don't think I have enough hands to produce my ideas; but I am utterly thrilled to know that there are people who do, who can. They inspire me.

I am going to GSAPP because I want to fly far beyond the edges of what we think architecture is, to dangerous, uncharted realms where it's as likely that I will lose my mind as I will produce something great. I want to take that gamble, and as this verbose post implies, I am happy to let everyone know I am doing so.

I don't think I'm there yet, but I am going to put my money where my mouth is. I'm laying down my deposit tonight. And below is a link to the portfolio that got me in. I don't think it's there yet, but I think it has some clues, and I want to keep pushing it, and I think GSAPP will let me. Whether it wants to or not.

Godspeed to all still awaiting answers/struggling with tough choices.

portfolio

Mar 22, 11 5:09 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

Joining the bandwagon of nail biters from today!:)
I've been put on Cornell's wait list too! From what I gather (perusing thru forums like gradcafe and cyburbia) there are billions of people put on the waitlist! What is Cornell up to?:x
And UCLA has died. It doesn't seem to update its website...same old message- "To date, no decision has been made on your application" nor does it reply to emails! Grrr...the wait is sooo frustrating!

Mar 22, 11 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ wileycount- yours is a fairly interesting post that I've read in a while!:)

Mar 22, 11 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
eeevalynne

@johnlem87

thanks for calling and posting! good luck!

my contingency plan is to still move to austin, but work on music and probably end up getting a drafting certificate. i'll probably reapply in a year or two with a portfolio that has more "design" and less "fine art"

Mar 22, 11 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
eeevalynne

@johnlem87

thanks for calling and posting! good luck!

my contingency plan is to still move to austin, but work on music and probably end up getting a drafting certificate. i'll probably reapply in a year or two with a portfolio that has more "design" and less "fine art"

Mar 22, 11 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: